Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

For the last day or so its very harsh and over modulated on the net.:mad:

I have imformed them.:)

Looking forward to nicer audio NT.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

he was also outraged that the winners of Wimbledon are getting 25k prize money.

eh... mabey it was that little in 1974 or something!

Its 35k for failing to win a match which is worth getting angry about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike65 wrote: »
    Its 35k for failing to win a match which is worth getting angry about!

Barely cover Nadal's costs I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/norah-casey-leaves-newstalk-breakfast-show-1.1428866

when's this highly unpleasant and inept tub of lard actually finishing up? my heart sinks every morning when I hear her drab pre-op tranny like voice pollute the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/norah-casey-leaves-newstalk-breakfast-show-1.1428866

when's this highly unpleasant and inept tub of lard actually finishing up? my heart sinks every morning when I hear her drab pre-op tranny like voice pollute the airwaves.

think you need to sleep more.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

looks like our Dave wants to be called David now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Bit unnecessary, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

whoever had to take that picture had to re-install photoshop, having used up the soft focus / air-brush function!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Are you insinuating that pic was 'shopped????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

For a woman who has never won a democratic mandate from anybody, Senator Bacik gets a huge amount of air time to preach her Catholic beliefs to us.. supposedly in a secular society. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

For a woman who has never won a democratic mandate from anybody, Senator Bacik gets a huge amount of air time to preach her Catholic beliefs to us.. supposedly in a secular society. ..

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

eh.... firstly Bacik is an arch-securalist.
    Queen Bee of secular Ireland more or less!

secondly, Ireland is not a secular country.... not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bye Bye Norah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

It seems Chris is also leaving the Breakfast show. Norah announced this morning that Chris will also be leaving the breakfast show to join her on Sundays from September. She is going on holidays for July and August but he is working on until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

My mornings will get a lot brighter next week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

What are we going to talk about, now that she has left us? :D

Layinghen wrote: »

Nursing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Layinghen wrote: »

Chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

touts wrote: »
    It seems Chris is also leaving the Breakfast show. Norah announced this morning that Chris will also be leaving the breakfast show to join her on Sundays from September. She is going on holidays for July and August but he is working on until September.

Please let this be true.

Chris has been an absolute disaster since day 1 and has gone steadily downhill from there.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Please let this be true.

Chris has been an absolute disaster since day 1 and has gone steadily downhill from there.

Why do you think that? I hear a lot of people saying it but I don't think he's too bad.

He does irritate me with his "It's a packed show", "We have a lot to get through" and "Your morning newspapers" etc. And his "The splash on the Indo today". Just say lead story you little prick.

But those gripes aside, I think he's okay. To have gotten where he is at that age surely shows he is talented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

DeanAustin wrote: »
    To have gotten where he is at that age surely shows he is talented cheap?
    FYP ;)

Imagine RTE or indeed Newstalk bothered to train up your proper actual journalists eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why did Norah announce that Chris was leaving, surely that's not her place to say. like a shyte load of other stuff, but anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Why do you think that? I hear a lot of people saying it but I don't think he's too bad.

He does irritate me with his "It's a packed show", "We have a lot to get through" and "Your morning newspapers" etc. And his "The splash on the Indo today". Just say lead story you little prick.

But those gripes aside, I think he's okay. To have gotten where he is at that age surely shows he is talented?

I can't understand how people keep making excuses for Chris Donoghue because of his age. It keeps coming up "ah, but you have to remember he's only (whatever age). He'll get better"

It isn't a transition year project, it's one of the most important slots on a radio schedule. He has been doing the gig for years without ever being any good at it. The Breakfast Show has been poor since Ivan Yates departed, I hope he returns soon.

• Advertisement

I have to say I missed that, was it clear that was the case, sure she wasn't joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

mike65 wrote: »
    I have to say I missed that, was it clear that was the case, sure she wasn't joking?

I actually listened to the show today as it was her last one. I took the 'Chris leaving' as another crap attempt at banter / humour myself. Although...
    'Welcome to the Sathaday Show with Chris and Norah!'. Holy sh1t

Skid X wrote: »
    I can't understand how people keep making excuses for Chris Donoghue because of his age. It keeps coming up "ah, but you have to remember he's only (whatever age). He'll get better"

It isn't a transition year project, it's one of the most important slots on a radio schedule. He has been doing the gig for years without ever being any good at it. The Breakfast Show has been poor since Ivan Yates departed, I hope he returns soon.

Yeah but I wasn't making excuses because of his age.

If I was saying, "He isn't as good as someone in his position should be but sure he's only 29", that's making excuses.

I was saying "He's actually as good as a lot of the other people in his position out there. And he's done it at a much younger age. He must be talented."

There is a big difference..

In a nutshell, he hasn't got the basic vocabulary to string a sentence together, never mind a decent question.

I personally believe he has pictures of DO'B.

In a nutshell, he hasn't got the basic vocabulary to string a sentence together, never mind a decent question.

I personally believe he has pictures of DO'B.

Christ, I feel like the Chris Donoghue fan club here (membership of one) but I've never really heard any issue with his vocabulary. Any examples?

• Advertisement

Donoghue is passable.. He needs to keep away from his stock cliches, and his letter ts grate on me sometimes.. but he's okay.. It was never gonna work with "Casey", as it always seemed to me like he was presenting the show with his mother.. It worked with Ivan (probably mostly because of Ivan himself), but not with Coleman, and not with Casey..

Christ, I feel like the Chris Donoghue fan club here (membership of one) but I've never really heard any issue with his vocabulary. Any examples?

I challenge you to listen to the show on Monday (or any day) and come back here and quote word for word 10 sentences spoken by Chris over the course of 3 hours which are not tense mangled and/or meander into nothingness and/or are made up school playground references and/or are complete gibberish.

I challenge you to listen to the show on Monday (or any day) and come back here and quote word for word 10 sentences spoken by Chris over the course of 3 hours which are not tense mangled and/or meander into nothingness and/or are made up school playground references and/or are complete gibberish.

Ah come on. I listen to him when I'm driving. I'm hardly gonna write down 10 sentences.

Can't you give me an example(s) where he makes a mess of stuff that wouldn't/doesn't happen to other presenters?

Ah come on. I listen to him when I'm driving. I'm hardly gonna write down 10 sentences.

Can't you give me an example(s) where he makes a mess of stuff that wouldn't/doesn't happen to other presenters?

Quotes from Mr Chris....I suppose, if you like ....Donoghue:

Employmentisation.

Unsubstantiated Bonds

The College of Electorate

People prescribing to a viewpoint

Yesterday we heard a vote for yes is a vote for fear, a vote for no is a vote for hope. Pearse Doherty, no hope??

Stop dancin' and start ansin

"Ewe! Ya knacker"

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

So Is Chris being given the boot off the show aswell as Nora?More cost-cutting in Newstalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Newstalk are in big trouble between 7-12, advertising must be way down in the last couple years and stations need a powerfull breakfast and mid-morning show to get the money in.

I admire the guy, suspect he has a monstrous work ethic, plenty of drive and he has always struck me as a decent kind of bloke. I'm not entirely convinced he has the quick verbal wit or whatever it takes to succeed as a radio presenter. Whether he will mature into a successful presenter I guess only time will tell. I'd have to say at the moment he has not cut the mustard with Norah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I admire the guy, suspect he has a monstrous work ethic, plenty of drive and he has always struck me as a decent kind of bloke. .

Yeah lost his mother when he was a kid, had cancer himself, comes from modes background with AFAIK no media connections. The fact that he hasn't got this overwhelming natural broadcasting talent makes it all the more of an achievement that he has got to where he is at his age IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Being that it was 'Funny Friday' on Joe Duffy today I made the mistake of trying Moncrief again - briefly. However, just before I switched the radio off, on came Newstalk's 2pm News bulletin - it might have been from a Soviet radio station. Crime down (except kidnapping) and all sorts of unchallenged, nonsensical stats reeled off. Followed by more stats on how retailing is suddenly recovering - I kid you not - and this the day after we were told that we were officially back in recession. :rolleyes:

Lies, damned lies and statistics but it seems nobody in Newstalk, or RTE for that matter, has ever heard this saying.

"Ewe! Ya knacker"

And I assume Global Village spent the full show giving out about him that week, yeah?

• Advertisement

Quotes from Mr Chris....I suppose, if you like ....Donoghue:

Employmentisation.

Unsubstantiated Bonds

The College of Electorate

People prescribing to a viewpoint

Yesterday we heard a vote for yes is a vote for fear, a vote for no is a vote for hope. Pearse Doherty, no hope??

Stop dancin' and start ansin

"Ewe! Ya knacker"

Fair enough if you heard him say these. I never have.

Like one of the posters above, I actually admire the guy. To come from where he has come from and get to where he is is a great achievement in my book.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion though.

Yeah lost his mother when he was a kid, had cancer himself, comes from modes background with AFAIK no media connections. The fact that he hasn't got this overwhelming natural broadcasting talent makes it all the more of an achievement that he has got to where he is at his age IMO.

Didn't know he lost his Mum, heard he came from Drimnagh.Fair play to him.If he's been shunted to Sunday it's a bid of a demotion though

Fair enough if you heard him say these. I never have.

Like one of the posters above, I actually admire the guy. To come from where he has come from and get to where he is is a great achievement in my book.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion though.

I admire the guy - but I don't think he is up for presenting that show. He was grand as a foil for Ivan but has not stepped up as a anchor man in his own right.

I admire the guy - but I don't think he is up for presenting that show. He was grand as a foil for Ivan but has not stepped up as a anchor man in his own right.

Have to agree with you.The false banter with Nora is paticularly painful to listen to.You always felt Ivan could review something & develop an interview as opposed to being formulaic the way Chris is.

Yeah can see where you're coming from on that. Don't completely agree but can see what you're saying. At least you're articulating a point rather than having a pop for the fun of it.

Yeah can see where you're coming from on that. Don't completely agree but can see what you're saying. At least you're articulating a point rather than having a pop for the fun of it.

Oops. My mistake ;)

There's no point in having the Friday thing on Hook unless the three of the guys are there... Nothing again Tara, but it's like going for pints with your friends to have a talk about football, and one of the lads sends his sister along in his place.. It just doesnt work, and they should have a regular show if McIntrye is not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I ... suspect he has a monstrous work ethic, plenty of drive and he has always struck me as a decent kind of bloke.
    Agree with all of that. Despite that though, he ain't a patch on the Morning Ireland presenters, which is why I don't listen to him very much.
    his letter ts grate on me sometimes
    Yeah, it sounds unusual and I was wondering is it because he's trying to over-compensate for the Irish thing of "whistling" your Ts. He's trying too hard IMO though, because his pronunciation of something like "twiTTer" sounds mangled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe Chris had a heavy working class Dublin accent before he got into radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

There's no point in having the Friday thing on Hook unless the three of the guys are there... Nothing again Tara, but it's like going for pints with your friends to have a talk about football, and one of the lads sends his sister along in his place.. It just doesnt work, and they should have a regular show if McIntrye is not available.

Na, I dont agree.I find Shane Coleman annoying to be honest.He always seems to be avoiding offending everyone.Too boring for my liking.I think they should have a regular woman woman regularly on to counterbalance the three testosterone clad sports buffs, and to put another point of view, if they have one.

I wonder who will be with Ivan Yates on the breakfast show when he comes back?

I am siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccckkkk to the back teeth of this stupid story with Henry McKean and this fathom baby.What a ridiculous story.Is this what Newstalk are wasting money on.....God allmighty:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement