Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Yeah can see where you're coming from on that. Don't completely agree but can see what you're saying. At least you're articulating a point rather than having a pop for the fun of it.

Don't know if that jibe is aimed at me :confused: I just want Chris off the radio because he is a complete embarrassment to the station and the medium IMO

All I will say is if a presenter of a nationally broadcast breakfast show doesn't know that the college of electors is not the college of electorate, or that unsubstantiated bonds are not subordinated bonds, then I cant see how you can defend him.

He's from Drimnagh, so what? Don't tell me people calling for positive discrimination to more people like Chris on the air now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jimmyw wrote: »
    Na, I dont agree.I find Shane Coleman annoying to be honest.He always seems to be avoiding offending everyone.Too boring for my liking.

I know what you're saying about Coleman. I find him very dull when on the Breakfast show or filling in for other people.. But he's good on the panel with Hook and he's excellent as effectively chairperson on The Sunday Show..

Maybe it's her newsreading background, but Tara Duggan keeps shouting like she's making announcements at a county fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Why do you think that? I hear a lot of people saying it but I don't think he's too bad.

He does irritate me with his "It's a packed show", "We have a lot to get through" and "Your morning newspapers" etc. And his "The splash on the Indo today". Just say lead story you little prick.

But those gripes aside, I think he's okay. To have gotten where he is at that age surely shows he is talented?

Lol's were had over that. I'm sure he is taleneted, he is certainly dedicated and a hard worker, wonder why he is moving on and why he is working with Norah again, they seemed to hate each other at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

When did George Hook last present his Saturday show?. Every time I turned it on it was Bill Hughes presenting, now today its Tara Duggan. Nothing against her but shes a bit strident for a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    All I will say is if a presenter of a nationally broadcast breakfast show doesn't know that the college of electors is not the college of electorate, or that unsubstantiated bonds are not subordinated bonds, then I cant see how you can defend him.

Your comments are unsorbidinated and nonsubstantial. You obviously never went to the college of the electorate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

When did George Hook last present his Saturday show?. Every time I turned it on it was Bill Hughes presenting, now today its Tara Duggan. Nothing against her but shes a bit strident for a Saturday morning.

You wont have to put up with her anymore,its now Bobby Kerr and Sarah Carey from now on.I don't know who is on before 11, Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

jimmyw wrote: »
    You wont have to put up with her anymore,its now Bobby Kerr and Sarah Carey from now on.I don't know who is on before 11, Saturday and Sunday

not that Sara Carey one, she's so know it all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The lack of professionalism on NewsTalk has completely undermined it as a serious news and current affairs station. The Breakfast Show is a childish joke with a repeated hourly cycle, inane banter, competitions, self-referential ads and self-obsessed presenters. Hook is gone to the dogs. Sarah Carey a vanity project. Bobby Kerr simply not fit for broadcasting. Marc Coleman? My backside.

Shane Coleman is the only news/current affairs presenter I'd give the time of day to now.

What role does NewsTalk play any more. Other than to highlight the relative professionalism of a Radio 1 dumbing down at a slower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They need to get Dave Mcintyre out of live broadcasting. You already know my feelings from previous posts but friends tonight suggested rather drastic ways of removing this scurge from the airwaves. I was shocked to hear these well heeled and educated men speak of such violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

I agree totally with the previous two posts...
    At first I thought Shane Coleman was poor but he really improved....meanwhile the rest of the station/presenters continued downhill...he's the only one left who gives mainly impartial, informative discussion on the important events unfolding around us....the rest of the presenters seem to use the station as a platform for their own views and self promotion...

As for McIntyre....I love my sport but I cannot listen to him....seems to be constantly auditioning for the big RTE or BBC job...knowing him it's the latter....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Robdundalk wrote: »
    At first I thought Shane Coleman was poor but he really improved....meanwhile the rest of the station/presenters continued downhill...he's the only one left who gives mainly impartial, informative discussion on the important events unfolding around us....the rest of the presenters seem to use the station as a platform for their own views and self promotion...

As for McIntyre....I love my sport but I cannot listen to him....seems to be constantly auditioning for the big RTE or BBC job...knowing him it's the latter....

Impartial?

The man will not have a word said against fianna fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's gotten to the stage now where there's only two shows on NT that even enter my consciousness as possibilities to listen to. Lunchtime, just for the headlines and I generally find Johnathan pretty affable, and Coleman at Large, just because there seems to be more debate and differing opinions on that show than the others.

Completely gone off Breakfast, they've changed something on Tom Dunne's show in the last two months or so that I can't put my finger on that just irks me, I only ever listened to Hook during my Leaving Cert year when I used be up at 4-5am working so would catch the repeat, haven't gone back to Off the Ball since the lads left, the weekend schedule is a joke apart from the sports (even Talking History seems to have lost it's touch).

It's amazing how down hill it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Impartial?

The man will not have a word said against fianna fail!

What evidence have you for this, other than familial connections? To me, the fact that he's been given a column in the Indo is more suggestive of favourability towards the govt/FG but in any case I'm skeptical about these claims about journalists having specific party allegiances, nobody ever seems to back them up with proper evidence.

What evidence have you for this, other than familial connections? To me, the fact that he's been given a column in the Indo is more suggestive of favourability towards the govt/FG but in any case I'm skeptical about these claims about journalists having specific party allegiances, nobody ever seems to back them up with proper evidence.

All you have To do is listen to him, he will not blame FF for any of the destruction they have brought on this country!

not that Sara Carey one, she's so know it all:rolleyes:

Sara Carey has fought her way to the top of journalism by hard work and professionalism...

Wikipedia:

Witness

Because she had worked as Marketing Coordinator for ESat Telecom, she was a witness at the Moriarty Tribunal.[6][7] In 2004, she leaked information provided to her by the tribunal about political donations made by Denis O'Brien to political parties in Ireland. The information included a letter of thanks to O'Brien from Michael McDowell of the Progressive Democrats. These leaks were published by journalist Stephen Collins in The Sunday Tribune. She denied to her legal team that she had been the source of the leak, and they then informed the Tribunal of her denial. Some days later she admitted to them she was the source and explained her role and motivations to the Tribunal when questioned under oath. Carey said "her motives were political" as the Tribunal had only highlighted O'Brien's donations to Fine Gael, and not those to other parties. The Tribunal judge publicly rebuked her in 2004 for wasting the tribunal's time in identifying the source of the leak, describing it as "irresponsible" and "not remotely justified".[8]
    Moriarty Tribunal report and aftermath

When the final Tribunal report was published in March 2011, she appeared on Prime Time, a national TV news analysis show, in which she defended the leak and her support for Mr O'Brien.[1] Days later, she resigned from her job with The Irish Times.[9] In a statement, the editor, Geraldine Kennedy, a former TD and Progressive Democrat colleague of Michael McDowell's, said that "her credibility as a columnist had been damaged by the findings of the report of the Moriarty tribunal and its aftermath. In order to protect the reputation of The Irish Times, her position as a columnist was untenable." She continues to write for other newspapers.[10]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Sara Carey has fought her way to the top of journalism by hard work and professionalism...

Wikipedia:

Witness

Because she had worked as Marketing Coordinator for ESat Telecom, she was a witness at the Moriarty Tribunal.[6][7] In 2004, she leaked information provided to her by the tribunal about political donations made by Denis O'Brien to political parties in Ireland. The information included a letter of thanks to O'Brien from Michael McDowell of the Progressive Democrats. These leaks were published by journalist Stephen Collins in The Sunday Tribune. She denied to her legal team that she had been the source of the leak, and they then informed the Tribunal of her denial. Some days later she admitted to them she was the source and explained her role and motivations to the Tribunal when questioned under oath. Carey said "her motives were political" as the Tribunal had only highlighted O'Brien's donations to Fine Gael, and not those to other parties. The Tribunal judge publicly rebuked her in 2004 for wasting the tribunal's time in identifying the source of the leak, describing it as "irresponsible" and "not remotely justified".[8]
    Moriarty Tribunal report and aftermath

When the final Tribunal report was published in March 2011, she appeared on Prime Time, a national TV news analysis show, in which she defended the leak and her support for Mr O'Brien.[1] Days later, she resigned from her job with The Irish Times.[9] In a statement, the editor, Geraldine Kennedy, a former TD and Progressive Democrat colleague of Michael McDowell's, said that "her credibility as a columnist had been damaged by the findings of the report of the Moriarty tribunal and its aftermath. In order to protect the reputation of The Irish Times, her position as a columnist was untenable." She continues to write for other newspapers.[10]

And she started in Newstalk about two weeks later. Denis certainly rewards those who are loyal to him.

That said I think she has improved since then. She handles the panel discussions well on her show. The musical heirlooms slot is a bit of a car crash but maybe they plan to put her head to head against Claire Byrne for a panel discussion on Saturdays. If they can keep her on current affairs she might do well.

I don't like Bobby Kerr's business show. It all seems a little too much like old friends backslapping each other. Not surprised he is moving from Sunday though. That gives the Today FM business show (which is a much better business show in my opinion) a clear run at that sunday slot and puts Bobby up Against George Lee on RTE on a Saturday. George's show has too many pre-recorded fluff pieces about some farmer in the back of beyond selling previously disgarded goats testicles to China as covers for iPhones or something like that.

I don't mind Chris as a wingman to someone like Ivan or Shane. I think he doesn't have the gravitas to carry off being the serious one in a duo with Norah. It would be great if they could get Ivan back (his year in exile in the UK may even have broken the rose tinted glasses he had towards his former friends in Fine Gael).

Norah will do OK on a Sunday light entertainment segment. She is a very interesting woman and has led an inspiring, at times tragic, life but god Current affairs just isn't her thing.

I also don't mind Mark Colman any time I hear him. He has a fairly good panel of contributers and the discussions are a good summation of the main issue(s) of the day plus a few broader issues. Can't figure out why he is banished to a late night slot. OK he's a bit right of centre in his outlook but he isn't going to compete with the lad on 4fm for the true right wing market. Maybe his "The best is yet to come" book from 2007/2008ish is still hanging around his career like a millstone.

Hook's Saturday Sit in was an odd collection of segments he probably dreamt up but couldn't get into the weekday show. I didn't listen to it enough to miss it but I think it was unique enough to be a bit of a loss on the airwaves.

Overall it will be interesting to see how all the changes in the next few weeks pan out. They are a station with potential but perhaps they have put the talent in the wrong slots up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Robdundalk wrote: »

What do people want from the presenters though, do they want views and opinions or impartiality and challenges to that, new BAI rules coming into force are trying to banish presenters from having a particular viewpoint and asking them to remain neutral, which is a terrible idea in my opinion.

Look at the way Moncrieff does it on his show with the guest for the first half hour. He is intelligent enough to follow the conversation and ask informed questions, but also he doesn't go all out and challenge their views he just probes and might bring in some other viewpoints. He never has them competing with other guest's like the panel shows do, no shouting over each other or arguing, he lets them give their view, might challenge it, ask a few interesting questions but lets the person flourish or die on their own from what they say. People can be great at a debate but terrible at a conversation and I think that becomes clear on his show with that style.

Presenting styles are important as are show formats, too many times on breakfast I hear people shout over each other or laugh off other arguements from other guests, sometimes it's better to let them just speak for a while, then maybe have someone with a different viewpoint speak after them rather than at the same time because if the presenter or producer is cunning enough to ask some difficult questions the guest wont be able to argue with someone else and lessen the burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Is Hook giving much coverage to the Anglo tapes? I stopped listening to him a while back, but I'd imagine he would give it the minimum amount of time to it as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chris Donoghue is noticeably more relaxed without Norah Casey in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To be fair to Chris, I think pairing him with Norah was a mistake and too much pressure on him. Basically he went from the junior with Ivan to the Senior with a no-experience trainee to have to carry.

Not sure if Chris has the gravitas to ever become comfortable in the role (time will tell like us all in jobs) but I think that decision didn't help and I would feel sorry for him if he was moved onto another slot as well as I think the main fault with the program lies with Norah (or her lack of experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Leroy42 wrote: »
    To be fair to Chris, I think pairing him with Norah was a mistake and too much pressure on him. Basically he went from the junior with Ivan to the Senior with a no-experience trainee to have to carry.

Not sure if Chris has the gravitas to ever become comfortable in the role (time will tell like us all in jobs) but I think that decision didn't help and I would feel sorry for him if he was moved onto another slot as well as I think the main fault with the program lies with Norah (or her lack of experience)

But isn't he moving back with her on a new weekend show in September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like Talking History is gone. Not listed on the schedule or the shows. Global Village still there so clearly audience figures were not a factor in deciding what to scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

touts wrote: »
    Looks like Talking History is gone. Not listed on the schedule or the shows. Global Village still there so clearly audience figures were not a factor in deciding what to scrap.

Patrick Geoghegan said last week that it will be back in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

touts wrote: »
    Global Village still there so clearly audience figures were not a factor in deciding what to scrap.

Global Village is a complete waste of time. Cannot stand the woman presenting it. I think Dill is her name.

Horrible radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Global Village is a complete waste of time. Cannot stand the woman presenting it. I think Dill is her name.

Horrible radio

Pfft, that's just you being a typical racist, homophobic, misogynistic Irish peron.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

mike65 wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue is noticeably more relaxed without Norah Casey in the studio.

Me too!

I'm happy enough with Chris as a wingman paired with a more heavyweight presenter. Coleman is passable enough in the chair. Longer term, I'm not sold on the return of Yates, who I think deteriorated as his tenure went on.

The bigger problem for Breakfast though seems to be the dumbing down policy. It's going to be difficult to provide a decent alternative to PC, patronising, but also polished and professional Morning Ireland without a commitment from the station to serious broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Pfft, that's just you being a typical racist, homophobic, misogynistic Irish peron.

:pac:

Sitting there like a typical Irish person with a pint of Guinness in your hand. Like the drunk Irish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Listening to Today FM Savage sunday there as well. (any thread on that BTW).
    The Titanic metaphor for the Crash (which i've seen used a couple of times now) seems to be the new slightly more sophisticated "Lehman's Dunnit".

• Advertisement

Newstalk doing sport on the cheap - basically someone is watching Dublin v Galway on a tv with a GAA head, chatting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Newstalk doing sport on the cheap - basically someone is watching Dublin v Galway on a tv with a GAA head, chatting about it.

First version of such cheapo sports coverage for me was Talksports live commentaries on the Holland/Belgium Euro Finals in 2000. They did them from some hotel bedroom in Amsterdam. Classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That is poor form, I know Newstalk have done it for Premier League commentaries "And Suarez is through again, he must score ... oh, eh, actually that's a replay", but they should be able to send a few people to Croke Park without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Skid X wrote: »
    That is poor form, I know Newstalk have done it for Premier League commentaries "And Suarez is through again, he must score ... oh, eh, actually that's a replay", but they should be able to send a few people to Croke Park without breaking the bank.

They were doing it live from the premium bar or whatever in Croke Park. Not some pub.

They were doing it live from the premium bar or whatever in Croke Park. Not some pub.

Crockers Premium Bar is different to a pub in what way, prices excepted? ;)
    Wonder what the RTE radio crew thought when they saw NT in a huddle. They must have known what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Oh my god, repeat interview on RIGHT now with moncriffe, lady with tourettes keeps saying biscuit and hedgehog.

THIS INTERVIEW WENT (biscuit!) OUT ONLY LAST MONTH!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

So Hook is bored with The Anglo Tapes but has time for endless ****e on The Gathering, JFK, and a completely news free show on Fridays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oh my god, repeat interview on RIGHT now with moncriffe, lady with tourettes keeps saying biscuit and hedgehog.

Are you serious?? I'd have definitely expected better from Moncreiff than to do that. That was my first time hearing it though and it was hilarious. I know I shouldn't be laughing because it is a serious condition that affects peoples lives but still.......:pac::pac::pac:!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think I heard her on Ray Darcy years ago, unless it's a different woman who also says biscuits...Ray was very respectful during the interview, but when she was gone read out all the pisstake texts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't see the point in repeating an interview unless a guest dropped out or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That woman seems to be making a good career out of her Tourette's. She was on The Saturday Night Show not so long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In fairness to her, there's very few people who can get me to watch any bit of the Saturday Night Show, let alone 14 minutes of it. so that's always a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How bad is Jonathan Healy's stand in on Lunchtime (can't remember his name) even though the show is on in the background - so far he's has spent most of the programme crapping on to other Newstalk 'personalities' about their favourite type of ice cream. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Dunno if this has been covered but the paper review sponsored by Aviva?!? Jesus, even Chris seemed embarrassed by it the first morning (although that might have been because he forgot all about it and almost talked over the "message from our sponsors").

The Breakfast Show really has turned to ****e. It used to be great in the Dunphy days but has gotten progressively worse and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is Chris on his own these days in the morning? Where is Coleman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

John Kehoe sees Gardai on the beat - he's delusional and needs to get out of the studio more. As for racism - what about the reverse i.e. towards natives from immigrants but it wouldn't be PC to discuss that.

mloc123 wrote: »

No idea but I listened in for the first time in a good while this morning as Norah is gone. I thought he managed it ok on his own. The lack of attempted (failed) banter and humour was a welcome relief.

Coleman is on holidays I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Coleman is on holidays I think.

Must have a severe lack of presenters at the moment. 3(4?) hours on his own each morning is a tough job.

Must have a severe lack of presenters at the moment. 3(4?) hours on his own each morning is a tough job.

You would have thought they could have got Nora to stay on until Coleman got back from hes holidays!

You would have thought they could have got Nora to stay on until Coleman got back from hes holidays!

Bit amateurish alright. The station really is going down the toilet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement