Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is Chris on his own these days in the morning? Where is Coleman?

No idea. Is the FF Ard Fheis on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

No idea but I listened in for the first time in a good while this morning as Norah is gone. I thought he managed it ok on his own. The lack of attempted (failed) banter and humour was a welcome relief.
    Agree. If NewsTalk can get a lead presenter that doesn't feel the need to slag Chris like Ivan Yates tiresomely did, the Breakfast Show could get back on the rails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No idea but I listened in for the first time in a good while this morning as Norah is gone. I thought he managed it ok on his own. The lack of attempted (failed) banter and humour was a welcome relief.

Actually meant to post something similar a yesterday. I've heard bits of the Breakfast Show on the repeats after midnight and I have to say, I think Chris does much better on his own than he does with a co-host.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i didnt like nora but i didnt find her presence as annoying as other posters seem to have done either but i have to say since she's gone the shows been tolerable.

still nowhere NEAR as good as it was or should be, but listenable now.

prehaps an editorial change happened too ?

either way while chris still uses tropes that annoy the hell out of me (that fecking naked gun bit that ends the show for instance ) ive definetly been listening in more the last few days than i have previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Bit amateurish alright. The station really is going down the toilet.

Long gone - all that's left now is a lingering odor and the sound of the cistern refilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Fantastic,Esther's back on Movies & Booze. :(

"What did you think of Pacific Rim?" "It was too loud."

Quality analysis as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its unlikely NT will cop this but "banter" has been the single biggest failing of the breakfast show since I've been able to listen to it (with the hideous Ger 'n Claire). Sadly its what they use to delineate it re Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

mike65 wrote: »
    Its unlikely NT will cop this but "banter" has been the single biggest failing of the breakfast show since I've been able to listen to it (with the hideous Ger 'n Claire). Sadly its what they use to delineate it re Morning Ireland.

I completely agree - it's the only way they have of separating themselves, they will never have the depth of research etc of Morning Ireland. I think the 'personality' driven morning shows with big names such as Dunphy/Cooper/McWilliams are probably too expensive given the current economic whats'it.

On a side note - I'm surprised at Claire's very good performances on RTE. I don't know if this is because she has a good support staff or has matured or what, but I found her singularly awful when she was doing the morning show with Ger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

2+ hours of an ever more confused Hook and his w**k fantasy Barry Kenny.

The rot must end some day.

• Advertisement

"What's it like to work from home? Stay tuned after the news and we'll tell you why!" - Bobby Kerr, 13/07/13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

On a side note - I'm surprised at Claire's very good performances on RTE. I don't know if this is because she has a good support staff or has matured or what, but I found her singularly awful when she was doing the morning show with Ger.

She's still useless on RTE - a lite version of Myriam minus the obsequiousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Fantastic,Esther's back on Movies & Booze. :(

"What did you think of Pacific Rim?" "It was too loud."

Quality analysis as usual.

ALL movie reviews on Irish radio are s***e. They're afraid to go too hard incase theyre not invited to any more events or get free merch from the studios here.

Kermode on BBC 5 Live is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Even though Chris seems to get a lot of stick on the Breakfast Show, I like his presenting style. He doesn't adopt any airs and graces, he's not aloof like so many other presenters, and he's not afraid to admit he's made a mistake; and he's outstayed the likes of Ivan Yates and Norah Casey, who both treated him like the village idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

..and he's not afraid to admit he's made a mistake; and he's outstayed the likes of Ivan Yates and Norah Casey, who both treated him like the village idiot.

I think you've found the new name for that Global Village show... Seem much more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think you've found the new name for that Global Village show... Seem much more appropriate.

One of her theory's is that Irish people don't like to be told where they are going wrong by foreigners(probably right)so any criticism of her show just supports her argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

kneemos wrote: »
    One of her theory's is that Irish people don't like to be told where they are going wrong by foreigners(probably right)so any criticism of her show just supports her argument.

There are better ways you can get your point across than how she goes on, such a shame citizen ship was given to someone who puts the place down so much. I wonder how it would fly in her native country or maybe in Italy where she grew up.

Personally i don't know how it stays on the air and i will make sure any sponsor of the show never gets my custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Calhoun wrote: »
    Personally i don't know how it stays on the air
    Because it's cheap - or maybe she even does it for free.

CheapTalk - we pay our presenters f**k all - and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I remember her saying a year or two back that the show was in danger of being axed unless they found a sponsor, though I wouldn't think listenership figures would be all that high for a sponsor to be seriously interested in it.

D.O.B probably thinks he's doing society a favour by keeping it on air :rolleyes:

I remember her saying a year or two back that the show was in danger of being axed unless they found a sponsor,

More feckn Irish racism..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hook is definitely past it for a current affairs 5 days a week program ( which he rarely does anyway, these days), his manner is increasingly grouchy and out of touch and he seems a bit muddled at times.He should be presenting a 2 hour weekend program of light entertainment and nothing else, that would suit him far better now, and hand over week days to whoever, Coleman, if needs be though he irritates also.

• Advertisement

Even though Chris seems to get a lot of stick on the Breakfast Show, I like his presenting style. He doesn't adopt any airs and graces, he's not aloof like so many other presenters, and he's not afraid to admit he's made a mistake; and he's outstayed the likes of Ivan Yates and Norah Casey, who both treated him like the village idiot.

Beat me to the punch. Since Casey left I've been dipping back into the Breakfast Show. I like Chris's personality an think he has a lot to offer alongside a heavier hitting co-presenter. NewsTalk would be mad to let him go, unless he gets a better offer elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

You know what Chris bugs me less on his own. He is far better than he was with Norah. There is still the mis pronunciations and mis understanding what an interviewee is trying to say, but he is certainly managing. I still want Ivan to come back though!

At the hairdressers today and was reading through magazines I normally don't get. VIP June edition had an interview with George Hook where he said his contract with Newstalk was up at the end of September. Wonder what will happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Layinghen wrote: »
    At the hairdressers today and was reading through magazines I normally don't get. VIP June edition had an interview with George Hook where he said his contract with Newstalk was up at the end of September. Wonder what will happen?

I don't get the appeal myself, but he is still the station's biggest draw so I would be very surprised if he didn't get a new contract.

I don't get the appeal myself, but he is still the station's biggest draw so I would be very surprised if he didn't get a new contract.

I think it's a poor time slot across the boards... Mooney can keep telling us that DriveTime is "the most popular evening radio show" as he's introducing it, but it is in spite of Mary Wilson. She's an extremely poor presenter, probably RTE's worst front line presenter. I have to adjust the EQ on the radio if I listen to Matt Cooper. He just simply does not have a good voice for radio...

I've started listening to Hook over the last few weeks and I find him significantly better than the other two..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Wait until you hear the anecdotes for fiftieth time....

I liked George's programme for many years. But in the recent past he is missing a lot and seems to enjoy his trips to the States a little bit too much. Don't get me wrong I have a huge interest in American politics and the American way of looking at things but George seems to travel over and just deliver his programme as normal from there with the odd Irish American thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya know coleman at large may be an establisment inbred circle jerk, but at least the fecking show is still on

RTE have decided there no need to have the late debate (or something like it) running now its summer.

right now theyre playing the most appalling music ive heard this side of a pat kenny show.

Sarah Carey: "With the jury in the Brenda Power case not being able to come to a verdict, we ask are juries just not up to the job"..

I dont know if it's the jury's fault, Sarah, there's a terrible problem in this country of people lying in front of courts (and tribunals).

Sarah Carey: "With the jury in the Brenda Power case not being able to come to a verdict, we ask are juries just not up to the job"..

I dont know if it's the jury's fault, Sarah, there's a terrible problem in this country of people lying in front of courts (and tribunals).

Translation: "On today's show, we had no idea what to talk about, so we decided to make a mountain out of a molehill and tar every jury with the same brush in order to get those of you who've served on juries before all riled up and texting us to 53106 at a cost of 30c."

Probably not enough time to say that in the intro though. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Listened to a few minutes of Mick Clifford this morning because Aine Lawlors panel was so bad.

I could only hear one panellist on it though. (Think it was the Indo's Alison O'Connor). Was it just her or were there others, or was anyone listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

serfboard wrote: »
    Listened to a few minutes of Mick Clifford this morning because Aine Lawlors panel was so bad.

I could only hear one panellist on it though. (Think it was the Indo's Alison O'Connor). Was it just her or were there others, or was anyone listening?

Mary McEvoy was on talking her usual common sense. I like her.

Mary McEvoy was on talking her usual common sense. I like her.

She's not bad in fairness except when she's handing out advice on Tom Dunne,can't be listening to that.

She's not bad in fairness except when she's handing out advice on Tom Dunne,can't be listening to that.

I have a theory that she's being lined up for a show of her own in the near future. She seems to be getting more and more airtime...

Gosh I hope not. I like her in small batches but when herself and Fionn Davenport covered Tom Dunnes programme I thought she was a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Layinghen wrote: »
    Gosh I hope not. I like her in small batches but when herself and Fionn Davenport covered Tom Dunnes programme I thought she was a disaster.

Those two suit one another, I cant stand either.They seem to be experts on everything......bloody know it alls:rolleyes:

jimmyw wrote: »
    Those two suit one another, I cant stand either.They seem to be experts on everything......bloody know it alls:rolleyes:

Ah yes but do they constantly harp on about when they worked in the UK or start every sentence with "I happen to have quite a bit of experience in this area...."

Ah she may be temporarily gone, but not forgotten:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

After listening John Halligan TD on Lunchtime I'm thinking of heading down to Waterford with my phone bill. I might tell him I need a Sky Plus upgrade while I'm at it.
    No doubt he'll cover my travel expenses too and give me a 'Debenems' for myself.

Listening to his 'modest' interview got me thinking that he may well have taken someone off the dole to keep tabs on all the money he gives away.

But he has probably put poor Santa Claus out of a job.

• Advertisement

Annette Freeman off the Moncrief Show sounds like she could make a decent presenter in a lighthearted way.

Annette Freeman off the Moncrief Show sounds like she could make a decent presenter in a lighthearted way.

Her flaaah accent would drive me nuts.
    In fact, my personal hell would be her, Ian Guider and Mairéad Lavery presenting a show. Maybe throw in Mick Clifford too for the craic.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Her flaaah accent would drive me nuts.
    In fact, my personal hell would be her, Ian Guider and Mairéad Lavery presenting a show. Maybe throw in Mick Clifford too for the craic.

And what about Fionn Davenport overseeing all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

On the early morning programme, Ian Guider's murdering of the English language with Dis, Dat, Dese, and Dose that's the way the "th" goes, drives me bonkers...and then Gaeilge Gaisce (?) comes on and the plug is wrenched from the wall and it's time to get out of bed. :D

How long is it since Yates left? I can't for the life of me remember was it last year or the year before...

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, Wikipedia says April 2012. This set of JNLR figures should be interesting then.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Maybe throw in Mick Clifford too for the craic.

When I turned on The Sunday Show, (after listening to him all week on Coleman's show) and heard him talking about going through the noooooospaper, I just turned off...

• Advertisement

I must have a higher tolerance for accents than ye... the only accent that annoys me on NT is Henry McKean, and I'm pretty sure a lot of that has to do with what he talks about as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Lapin wrote: »
    After listening John Halligan TD on Lunchtime I'm thinking of heading down to Waterford with my phone bill. I might tell him I need a Sky Plus upgrade while I'm at it.
    No doubt he'll cover my travel expenses too and give me a 'Debenems' for myself.

Listening to his 'modest' interview got me thinking that he may well have taken someone off the dole to keep tabs on all the money he gives away.

But he has probably put poor Santa Claus out of a job.

Ah feck it anyway, I was in a bank in Waterford today around 12.30 (emptying my wallet as usual:rolleyes:), and I think it was him speaking to a fella in one of the cubicles and then he filled in a slip and went over to the counter.If I had known, I would have asked him to pay a few of me bills, dam........:mad::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

One of the presenters of TV3's Exposé programme is on lunchtime complaining about glossy magazines and tabloid newspapers. I've heard it all now.

One of the presenters of TV3's Exposé programme is on lunchtime complaining about glossy magazines and tabloid newspapers. I've heard it all now.

Before the likes of Twitter and Facebook existed, that's where the likes of herself would have done their "research".
    All I can say is "physician, heal thyself"

When I turned on The Sunday Show, (after listening to him all week on Coleman's show) and heard him talking about going through the noooooospaper, I just turned off...

The "nooz" pronunciation affectation is the of the most annoying tics on broadcast media. No-one really said it 10 years ago. Bu it has become ubiquitous alongside many other tiresome imported Americanisms like ree-search.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement