Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

One of the presenters of TV3's Exposé programme is on lunchtime complaining about glossy magazines and tabloid newspapers. I've heard it all now.

You're joking. Please tell me you're joking. Didn't i see that b*llocks being shot outside Buckingham palace yesterday?

That's absolutely remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Has Dennis o brien pulled the plug ?

:D

( not getting any signal right now )

Hope Chris isn't talking to himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thought it was just me :p No signal here either (south Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Thought it was just me :p No signal here either (south Dublin)

Me neither in west dublin. Newstalk app works, so chris has at least one listener this morning!

I texted them to let them know & they just called me to thx me for letting them know :) ....howz that for customer service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

daheff wrote: »
    Me neither in west dublin. Newstalk app works, so chris has at least one listener this morning!

I texted them to let them know & they just called me to thx me for letting them know :) ....howz that for customer service!

They called you to thank you for spending 30c to send them a text.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Dundrummer

Still going strong on the website - no mention of any transmission issues.

Maybe someone should send them a text on 53106 for 30c....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

In city centre now & can get reception now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

just dead air in Celbridge , and on drive into town this morning..... wierd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just fine on satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

If Moncreif turned his misogony 180 degrees he would be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Eh eh Twitter eh eh ah mm eh facebook ah eh ah Paolo mm ah ah eh mm eh ah 53106 ah eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Coming up on the show today, an interview with a sleepy American who's trying to flog a quirky book!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

MJ23 wrote: »
    Eh eh Twitter eh eh ah mm eh facebook ah eh ah Paolo mm ah ah eh mm eh ah 53106 ah eh.

I saw your name in the last post by box and I knew you'd post something along those lines, you must have posted some variation on 'Moncrieff says eh a lot' at least a hundred times by now, it's very tedious at this stage lad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I saw your name in the last post by box and I knew you'd post something along those lines, you must have posted some variation on 'Moncrieff says eh a lot' at least a hundred times by now, it's very tedious at this stage lad .

Well said, thats what happens when a presenter doesn't rely on a script full of pre set questions. Its a unique skill and long may it continue !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Interesting figures year on year for NT:

13_2_news_qs.png

Source

Breakfast - Down 13,000 (9.8%) to 120,000.
    Tom Dunne - Up 6,000 to 55,000.
    Lunchtime - Up 4,000 to 68,000.
    Moncrieff - Up 19,000 to 112,000.
    The Right Hook - Up 4,000 to 134,000.
    OTB - Down 7,000 (14.6%) to 41,000.

And if we compare the current figures to Q1's book:

Breakfast - Down 1,000.
    Tom Dunne - No change.
    Lunchtime - Up 6,000.
    Moncrieff - Up 8,000.
    The Right Hook - Up 2,000.
    OTB - Down 2,000.

Well done Moncrieff eh eh eh um eh up up up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How obvious is it that the 'essential music' slot on Hooke is pre recorded, why pretend it is not...

is it just me or is there something up with newstalk broadcast volume today ?

seems to be going up and down every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well done to Ian Guider this morning when talking about Samsung and "emerging markets" such as China and, eh.... Japan!

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    How obvious is it that the 'essential music' slot on Hooke is pre recorded, why pretend it is not...

Sure what about the Saturday sit in when it was on or Tom Dunnes Sunday night show.......Its a joke at times.

The "Rock and Roll Cafe" (:rolleyes:) really is a load of pants...

stuttery sean is getting owned on the 13:30 - 14:00 segment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

stuttery sean is getting owned on the 13:30 - 14:00 segment!

I know Ian O'Doherty is a professional troll but he does come across really badly on the radio. I think Sean handled him well, leaving him off on his rants and asking him questions with a smirk in his voice.

As an aside I think Sean's show is great. I'm not surprised that he's had a listenership rise in the JNLRs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Drop in the mornings can attributed to Norah Caseys awfulness

Is anyone able to get through Hook on a Friday.

When there is a Cooper / Radio 1 ad I switch over to hear 10 seconds of utter tedium and I prefer to listen to ads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

jeeeyaysus wept....that was some painful listening on the way home. that tara one, possibly the moaniest, most miserable, poisonous bag of depressing dismal gloom I have ever heard on the airwaves.

she makes casey sound like a bundle of joy :eek:

jeeeyaysus wept....that was some painful listening on the way home. that tara one, possibly the moaniest, most miserable, poisonous bag of depressing dismal gloom I have ever heard on the airwaves.

she makes casey sound like a bundle of joy :eek:

When I got home the other week I went online to check the webcam feed.

She looks exactly as she sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

VinLieger wrote: »
    Drop in the mornings can attributed to Norah Caseys awfulness

A small enough fall though, given the turmoil in that slot. Interesting how consistent NT's listenership is despite ongoing turnover of presenters over the last few years. I have this sense that one day they'll have a really catastrophic 'book' and DOB will take one look and go 'that's it, I'm pulling the plug' but no sign of it happening yet. Maybe after Hook finally calls it a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Turned on tonight after making the mistake of listening to Mary Wilson for fifteen minutes.. I love the normal sit in with Hook,Coleman and Dave McIntyre... But not this group. That Tara wan dominates the conversation, constantly SHOUTING everything she says.. And Bobby Kerr is just a black coffee, no milk no sugar.. dull

George, if McIntyre and Coleman arent available then dont bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

C'mon...who cares what McIntyre thinks??? He's terrible...Bobby 'Earnest and Young' Kerr is bad but in an enthusiastic way...McIntyre is on another level altogether...he clearly thinks Newstalk and everything to do with it, including the listeners, is below him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Robdundalk wrote: »
    Bobby 'Earnest and Young' Kerr

he should never be forgiven for that!

he should never be forgiven for that!

"The winner will have an interview with mwahhhh"...

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Robdundalk wrote: »
    Bobby 'Earnest and Young' Kerr

:eek: He didn't actually say that did he? Another chew the fat merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

A small enough fall though, given the turmoil in that slot. Interesting how consistent NT's listenership is despite ongoing turnover of presenters over the last few years. I have this sense that one day they'll have a really catastrophic 'book' and DOB will take one look and go 'that's it, I'm pulling the plug' but no sign of it happening yet. Maybe after Hook finally calls it a day...

No singling you out here but why do people assume DOB is gonna sell the station? There is no basis behind it, it's just people speculating on speculation. Newstalk is having a steady increase in listenership, and has for 3 years now, if he was happy 3 years ago why would he not be happy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

soc160 wrote: »
    No singling you out here but why do people assume DOB is gonna sell the station? There is no basis behind it, it's just people speculating on speculation. Newstalk is having a steady increase in listenership, and has for 3 years now, if he was happy 3 years ago why would he not be happy now?

We firstly I think it would be much more likely close rather than sell, as I doubt there'd be anyone else interested in bankrolling a national talk station indefinitely.

But the primary reason he would want to close it now is to clear the path to a full takeover of INM by reducing his overall control of media.

We firstly I think it would be much more likely close rather than sell, as I doubt there'd be anyone else interested in bankrolling a national talk station indefinitely.

But the primary reason he would want to close it now is to clear the path to a full takeover of INM by reducing his overall control of media.

I guess this kind of backs up my point, it's just speculation based on nothing really. He has never expressed an interest in shutting it down. Why would he keep it going so long, obtain a national license and continue to invest if he didn't want it?

I'm sure there'd be a major legal case if he decided to shut the station down just because he wants to do something else.

If he decided to sell I think there would be a fair few takers, lot of consortiums that would have an interest in reaching a couple of hundred thousand people instantly throughout the day. If DOB closed/sold the station then someone else could have that power and why would he allow someone that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I don't know what DOB's plans for the station are, but I find it a bit odd that nearly 6 months after Frank Cronin resigns he still hasn't been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Is anybody else sick of hearing that carol kinsella add?
    "Carol is a Limerick woman"

Oh shes from Limerick right I better get in touch so!

I don't know what DOB's plans for the station are, but I find it a bit odd that nearly 6 months after Frank Cronin resigns he still hasn't been replaced.

He was there about a month ago. He hasn't started working yet though if that's what you mean.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0704/460608-whelan-newstalk-ceo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

soc160 wrote: »
    He was there about a month ago. He hasn't started working yet though if that's what you mean.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0704/460608-whelan-newstalk-ceo/

That's what I meant alright. Kingspan, that's construction isn't it? Interesting choice. I presume this will mean schedule changes, it usually does. Unless you're Dan Healy that is.

• Advertisement

That's what I meant alright. Kingspan, that's construction isn't it? Interesting choice. I presume this will mean schedule changes, it usually does. Unless you're Dan Healy that is.

Ye think it's insulation for housing and energy solutions or something.

I don't think we will see much in terms of schedule changes because of this, im sure his job will be to oversee the business side of things based on his background.

risteard7 wrote: »
    Is anybody else sick of hearing that carol kinsella add?"Carol is a Limerick woman"Oh shes from Limerick right I better get in touch so!

Caro... there's no L

jesus listen to the shyte coming out now on smoking.

im a social smoker, i smoke every now and again when i want to and cant take it and leave it when i want.

apparently this is beyoned healys abilty to comprehend.

god help the poor fukers that are adicted if these lads get their way, theyre one step away from saying they can only smoke in fecking concentration camps.

mad stuff altoghther.

jesus listen to the shyte coming out now on smoking.

im a social smoker, i smoke every now and again when i want to and cant take it and leave it when i want.

apparently this is beyoned healys abilty to comprehend.

god help the poor fukers that are adicted if these lads get their way, theyre one step away from saying they can only smoke in fecking concentration camps.

mad stuff altoghther.

The anti-smoking lobby are a complete pain in the hole at this stage. It seems that wit every little victory they have (smoking bans, no advertising, etc, etc) they get more and more arrogant and militant.

I don't smoke, I'm just worried what these twats will turn their attention to when they finally get their way? Alcohol? Salt? Sugar? Fast food?

Because here's the dirty little secret guys, EVERYTHING is bad for you bar water and the raw minerals you need to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't smoke, I'm just worried what these twats will turn their attention to when they finally get their way? Alcohol?
    Yes. That's already started with the ban on sports sponsorship. If you're going to ban sponsorship ban all sponsorship or none.
    Salt?
    Yes.
    Sugar?
    Yes.
    Fast food?
    AKA Fat. Yes.

Salt, sugar and fat are in the crosshairs alright.
    EVERYTHING is bad for you bar water ...
    Ah now, I wouldn't be so sure about th'oul water. ;)

Cryptosporidium anyone? And various boil-water notices up and down the country because of the appalling state of our water services ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

serfboard wrote: »
    And various boil-water notices up and down the country because of the appalling state of our water services ...

Appalling state of water services can easily be masked by banning something.

The policy making decision process in Ireland can be summed up as:

- a problem is identified in something the government is (or is not) doing
    - media make noise
    - government ban something (cigarettes, crisps, oxygen) to divert media attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just caught Dil Wickremasinghe on the "Right Hook" whining about how hard it is to become an Irish citizen - there were 25,000 people approved for citizenship in the last two years - but that's not enough. Apparently 17% of the current population of the Republic was born outside the country (this obviously doesn't include the large number of children born to immigrants since they arrived) and even a blind man can see where this is leading. I'm not racist - there, I said it to satisfy those who expect the cliche - but it is clearly going to be a major problem in the future if the 'native' Irish are destined to become a minority in their own country. Still, just like the drugs problem in the 1970s it will be ignored until it explodes and even then......

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

clearly going to be a major problem in the future if the 'native' Irish

What are the 'native' Irish? Celts? Vikings? Normans? Planters? Very hard to define that. How would you define what a "native" Irish person is?

Also how is there "clearly" going to be a problem? That presumption seems to based on fear more than anything else?

I'm with Dil, if someone wants to come to this country and has contributed and stayed long enough in this beknighted kip through the bad times, good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Magpie87 wrote: »
    I'm with Dil,

:eek: holy fook. there's a first time for everything i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Tuned in to Shane Coleman over the weekend. He had Dil on, who he introduced as Dick, talking about banning alcohol companies from sponsoring sports events.

And predictably this turned into the listeners being lectured on how we're a nation of alcoholics, and things are different in Italy.

She even went on to say we stay out too late on nights out, and should go home before the bar closes.

Awful stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement