Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Henry McKean's slot was particularly painful today. Biscuits. FFS. What is the point of his slot? Seriously. I know it's only 5 minutes but it was still five minutes of radio trying to make my ears bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wilberto wrote: »
    Henry McKean's slot was particularly painful today. Biscuits. FFS. What is the point of his slot? Seriously. I know it's only 5 minutes but it was still five minutes of radio trying to make my ears bleed.

Does he go to methadone clinics for all his vox pops? The skobe who has a liking for visssscount biscuits was taking the bleedin biscuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wilberto wrote: »

The two boys suggesting they go to Lidl for their bisbuits was quite amusing,but yeah he's usually rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Magpie87 wrote: »
    What are the 'native' Irish? Celts? Vikings? Normans? Planters? Very hard to define that. How would you define what a "native" Irish person is?

Also how is there "clearly" going to be a problem? That presumption seems to based on fear more than anything else?

I'm with Dil, if someone wants to come to this country and has contributed and stayed long enough in this beknighted kip through the bad times, good stuff!

Sorry, I forgot that Ireland is different from other countries, we don't have racism......and 'native' Irish, to me, is somebody whose family have lived here for generations and not here a wet weekend and bleating about their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sorry, I forgot that Ireland is different from other countries, we don't have racism......

I wish George had followed through with his point... "Nobody asked you to come here"... She spends two hours every Saturday night giving out about how bad things are in Ireland ... Why doesnt she just leave if it's so bad?

If it rained on her, she'd say the Irish weather was being racist..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

That "Di Vikrama Singh" person makes me wanna puke.

All she ever does is moan about Ireland. Why doesn't she just f..k off then?

Today she's moaning about how difficult it is to get Irish citizenship and how it costs €175 to apply. Dare I say it...if an applicant has an issue with paying €175, we probably don't want them here.

And how any producer thought that it would be a good idea to put a lesbian immigrant who can hardly speak English on the airwaves beggars belief.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Jack Kyle wrote: »

Today she's moaning about how difficult it is to get Irish citizenship and how it costs €175 to apply. Dare I say it...if an applicant has an issue with paying €175, we probably don't want them here.

And how any producer thought that it would be a good idea to put a lesbian immigrant who can hardly speak English on the airwaves beggars belief.

Hardly speaks English?? She speaks better English than a lot of Irish "natives" ((May be a gross exaggeration!! :P)). You can criticise her, rightly, for a lot of things but, to be fair, I don't think her grasp of the English language is one of them. That's just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Jack Kyle wrote: »

I had to check on line before I posted, because I've heard only a few editions of Global Village in my time. That being said, my first question is what has her nationhood or sexuality got to do with anything?

That she can get a broadcasting job hosting a show here in Ireland is a good thing, she has to be one of the few females hosting a show never mind the fact that she's not Irish

Moreover, an outsiders view on Ireland is a good thing, just look at what happened us in the Celtic tiger days when we Irish thought we were masters of all we saw (or borrowed from the bank to but) and we didn't pay anywhere near enough attention to those outside of Ireland who were warning us of the dangers of what we were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sorry, I forgot that Ireland is different from other countries, we don't have racism......and 'native' Irish, to me, is somebody whose family have lived here for generations and not here a wet weekend and bleating about their rights.

I hope the many thousands of Irish that are abroad don't encounter people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

Where did I say we don't have racism? We clearly do... as Dil has pointed out in the past. So you're saying you agree with her assessment but she shouldn't be the one to say it as she has only been here a "wet week"? (Dil has been here 13 years)

So people shouldn't "bleat" about their rights? Is that only immigrants, asylum seekers and other non "native Irish"? That sounds like the ingredients for a healthy society.

How does someone who was born in Ireland of Vietanese parents have any less of a say in this country than anyone else. How far do I need to trace back my lineage before I'm allowed to "bleat" about my rights?

People don't have to like or listen to Dil, but her opinions are perfectly healthy for Irish society and she seems to have ensconced herself in Irish life. This a good thing. If you don't like her as a broadcaster, well then turn her off (her show is on 8 O'Clock on a Saturday it's quite easy to miss if you don't like it.)

• Advertisement

I wish George had followed through with his point... "Nobody asked you to come here"... She spends two hours every Saturday night giving out about how bad things are in Ireland ... Why doesnt she just leave if it's so bad?

If it rained on her, she'd say the Irish weather was being racist..

She does it to try to get through to people like you.

I really fail to understand why you would listen to her if you so intensely disagree with her. Not only that, but if she is wrong about the scale of racism in Ireland, then what's the big deal? Why have you got a problem with her talking about racism? The programme is clearly intended to talk about minority issues, something which you've clearly no time for. So turn the radio off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I do sometimes wonder whether Dil's show is part of some plan by DOB to try to create a living embodiment of the "looney-lefty" strawman that other Newstalk presenters like Coleman love to hate.She's got quite far-left views,but somehow has a show on the most right-wing station in Ireland?

I wish they'd put someone better in Dil's place.I imagine I'd agree with a lot of her views,but she just can't articulate them intelligently without moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

She does it to try to get through to people like you.

I really fail to understand why you would listen to her if you so intensely disagree with her. Not only that, but if she is wrong about the scale of racism in Ireland, then what's the big deal? Why have you got a problem with her talking about racism? The programme is clearly intended to talk about minority issues, something which you've clearly no time for. So turn the radio off.

When she turns up on drive time its very hard not to listen to her. What exactly is she trying to get through to people how horrible we are because we are Irish?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with her or anyone having the right to discuss racism on the radio or other forms of media. However delivery is critical on such sensitive topics, when you are a condescending know it all who is constantly badmouthing the country you live in you should not expect to be welcome or liked for that fact.

Nobody should be given a get out of jail free card just because they are talking about a minority subject. The presenter for this program should have been selected carefully if its job was to introduce minority concerns to broader audience, the message is currently lost in translation with the current host as folk switch off when she starts her usual anti-Irish spiel.

I hope the many thousands of Irish that are abroad don't encounter people like you.

Care to try and explain what you mean? If, however, you mean what I think.. In my experience any Irish I've met abroad emigrate to improve their lot and keep their heads down, work hard to earn money and are not bothered with rocking the boat/biting the hand that feeds them. Dil, and people like her, think they can emigrate to a country and then change it to suit themselves rather than trying to fit in with the traditions of their adopted country.

Where did I say we don't have racism? We clearly do... as Dil has pointed out in the past. So you're saying you agree with her assessment but she shouldn't be the one to say it as she has only been here a "wet week"? (Dil has been here 13 years)

So people shouldn't "bleat" about their rights? Is that only immigrants, asylum seekers and other non "native Irish"? That sounds like the ingredients for a healthy society.

How does someone who was born in Ireland of Vietanese parents have any less of a say in this country than anyone else. How far do I need to trace back my lineage before I'm allowed to "bleat" about my rights?

People don't have to like or listen to Dil, but her opinions are perfectly healthy for Irish society and she seems to have ensconced herself in Irish life. This a good thing. If you don't like her as a broadcaster, well then turn her off (her show is on 8 O'Clock on a Saturday it's quite easy to miss if you don't like it.)

You're adding all sorts of interpretations to what I said, and I have nothing against people standing up for their rights but not when they are just off the boat. 13 years = a wet weekend in my book.

Given that, by official reckoning 17% of the current population were born outside the country (+ their children), + all those who are here illegally, how long will it be before the loony left/politically correct brigade starting demanding that 20%+ members of the Dail should be from those born outside the country; or that 20% of the Gardai/Army etc. should be also drawn from the immigrant community. You really think that that is sustainable? Do you have any upper limit in mind to the percentage of the Irish population that should be made up from immigrants?

The UK, which due to its colonial history has had large scale immigration since the 1950's, had only reached an 11% foreign born population by 2010 and yet Ireland managed to reach 17%+ in about 10 years. Clearly we are a much more welcoming country or is it, like so much else here, something that is completely out of control?

PS - I don't listen to Dil's programme but have caught snatches of it from time to time; but given Newstalk's annoying habit of interviewing their own radio personalities it's hard to avoid her as she's a regular on "The Right Hook".

Care to try and explain what you mean? If, however, you mean what I think.. In my experience any Irish I've met abroad emigrate to improve their lot and keep their heads down, work hard to earn money and are not bothered with rocking the boat/biting the hand that feeds them. Dil, and people like her, think they can emigrate to a country and then change it to suit themselves rather than trying to fit in with the traditions of their adopted country.

Again I hope the many thousands of Irish people abroad don't encounter people like you.

Dil simply brings to light issues that ethnic minorities, no other broadcaster does it.

And some of the comments on here have just confirmed Dil's views.

You're adding all sorts of interpretations to what I said, and I have nothing against people standing up for their rights but not when they are just off the boat. 13 years = a wet weekend in my book.

Given that, by official reckoning 17% of the current population were born outside the country (+ their children), + all those who are here illegally, how long will it be before the loony left/politically correct brigade starting demanding that 20%+ members of the Dail should be from those born outside the country; or that 20% of the Gardai/Army etc. should be also drawn from the immigrant community. You really think that that is sustainable? Do you have any upper limit in mind to the percentage of the Irish population that should be made up from immigrants?

The UK, which due to its colonial history has had large scale immigration since the 1950's, had only reached an 11% foreign born population by 2010 and yet Ireland managed to reach 17%+ in about 10 years. Clearly we are a much more welcoming country or is it, like so much else here, something that is completely out of control?

Given that thousands of Irish people are emigrating at the moment, I find your comments baffling to say the least.

Calhoun wrote: »
    When she turns up on drive time its very hard not to listen to her. What exactly is she trying to get through to people how horrible we are because we are Irish?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with her or anyone having the right to discuss racism on the radio or other forms of media. However delivery is critical on such sensitive topics, when you are a condescending know it all who is constantly badmouthing the country you live in you should not expect to be welcome or liked for that fact.

Nobody should be given a get out of jail free card just because they are talking about a minority subject. The presenter for this program should have been selected carefully if its job was to introduce minority concerns to broader audience, the message is currently lost in translation with the current host as folk switch off when she starts her usual anti-Irish spiel.

She's entitled to her opinions and to express them.

She's obviously touched a nerve with a lot of people, so maybe the truth hurts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Swan Curry wrote: »
    a show on the most right-wing station in Ireland?

How is Newstalk 'the most right wing station in Ireland'? Mark Coleman can have some right-wing opinions (if you define 'right wing' as occasional public service bashing), but the rest of the presenters seem pretty middle of the road to me?

The problem with Dill is she appears to be a one issue broadcaster and that one issue is 'Minority Rights'. It's an agenda that runs through everything she has to say and gets tedious quickly. I tune out whenever I hear her as I find people lecturing me with an overt and obvious agenda boring.

How is Newstalk 'the most right wing station in Ireland'? Mark Coleman can have some right-wing opinions (if you define 'right wing' as occasional public service bashing), but the rest of the presenters seem pretty middle of the road to me?

The problem with Dill is she appears to be a one issue broadcaster and that one issue is 'Minority Rights'. It's an agenda that runs through everything she has to say and gets tedious quickly. I tune out whenever I hear her as I find people lecturing me with an overt and obvious agenda boring.

The programme is there to specifically deal with minority issues - it's called Global Village?

Did you not know that?

Two hours a week on a Saturday night isn't exactly a high profile slot.

• Advertisement

Yup, it's on once a week in a crap slot, presumably so Newstalk can claim some level of social service broadcasting to meet some obscure license requirement and I find it predictable and boring. Obviously that's racist of me.

I have a similar problem with the properly right-wing Yank who appears on Hook - he's predictable and therefore boring. This obviously confirms me as bigoted against all foreign-non-national-not-Irish people. Probably sexist too.

Yup, it's on once a week in a crap slot, presumably so Newstalk can claim some level of social service broadcasting to meet some obscure license requirement and I find it predictable and boring. Obviously that's racist of me.

I have a similar problem with the properly right-wing Yank who appears on Hook - he's predictable and therefore boring. This obviously confirms me as bigoted against all foreign-non-national-not-Irish people. Probably sexist too.

Your last post seemed to imply that you didn't know it was a minority driven programme.

But it now seems that you did know about that, and that you just dislike that. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Indeed, I'm constantly taken aback at how much ire this obscure show attracts on boards. Large chunks of NT's schedule are pretty much forgettable filler, why get so work up about this one programme?

Your last post seemed to imply that you didn't know it was a minority driven programme.

But it now seems that you did know about that, and that you just dislike that. Great.

I have zero issue with a one issue program. I quite enjoy the science slot on Newstalk and the history one was pretty good too (not too sure if it's still running).

What I do not enjoy is when a presenter has an obvious agenda and is provided with a platform purely to propagate that agenda. I prefer a presenter who attempts to provide a balanced debate or discussion.

Calling it a 'minority driven program' reinforces your own agreement with Dill's opinions. I prefer to listen to someone who can present both sides of an argument in a reasonably coherent manner and perhaps even effect a change in my thinking. My reaction to being lectured at by someone is to tell them to **** off.

Listening to someone purely because you agree with what they have to say is rather small minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

People are entitled to not like her opinion or herself, point being if she turns up on a drive time program with her usual have a go at Ireland don't be too shocked when people express their dislike.

The alternative to her touching a nerve is that members of the minority she represents are defending her, maybe they need to ask the question why they feel the need to do that?

If we agree there is merit in having a program like global village which i think a number of folks on thread agree with, why is there such a focus on Dil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anyone notice that Jonathan on the lunch shoe changes his accent depending on who he is speaking too?

He was just speaking to Ted Walsh..... Be-the-hokey!

Calhoun wrote: »
    People are entitled to not like her opinion or herself, point being if she turns up on a drive time program with her usual have a go at Ireland don't be too shocked when people express their dislike.

The alternative to her touching a nerve is that members of the minority she represents are defending her, maybe they need to ask the question why they feel the need to do that?

If we agree there is merit in having a program like global village which i think a number of folks on thread agree with, why is there such a focus on Dil?

What?

Indeed, I'm constantly taken aback at how much ire this obscure show attracts on boards. Large chunks of NT's schedule are pretty much forgettable filler, why get so work up about this one programme?

It seems to me that only racists, sexists and homophobs listens to her programme and can't wait for Dil to trip up or make a mistake. They're pretty sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How is Newstalk 'the most right wing station in Ireland'? Mark Coleman can have some right-wing opinions (if you define 'right wing' as occasional public service bashing).

He's very right-wing on social issues like gay marriage, abortion and Church/State relations, going by his rants in the Sindo and his failed "National Alliance" party.

Like with Global Village, there is a market in Ireland for his show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of interest are there any other black broadcasters in this country ?

not that i really give a toss its a tad odd considering the DFurr PC consensus on emigration that FUP all got into their profession.

RTE would seem to fit right in with the KKK with their demographics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

not that i really give a toss its a tad odd considering the DFurr PC consensus on emigration that FUP all got into their profession.

http://www.iradio.ie/idj/ezeke-gray

jays i bet pat kennys bricking himself !

:D:D:D:D

not to mention the eh, niche, area of their shows. the only reason i know Iradio exists is because me smart phone tuned it in automatically along with everything else it could find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

My understanding is that 1 in 300 people in this country are black.

On that basis, there shouldn't necessarily be any representation of black people on tv etc.

only 10% of our population goes to trinity or UCD.

Yet those institutions make up ALL our media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

SpunOut? Weren't they the govt funded eejits who were encouraging teenagers to have threesomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Not exactly since DCU run the main journalism course in the country,

Again I hope the many thousands of Irish people abroad don't encounter people like you.

Dil simply brings to light issues that ethnic minorities, no other broadcaster does it.

And some of the comments on here have just confirmed Dil's views.

You're a great man for labelling people so why don't you say what you mean instead of hiding behind words? Anyway, no need to reply.

You're a great man for labelling people so why don't you say what you mean instead of hiding behind words? Anyway, no need to reply.

I'll reply if I like, but said all I want to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

10%? I'd be surprised if it was as much as 1% and I'd love to see something to support the suggestion that they make up ALL of the media.

GSF wrote: »
    Not exactly since DCU run the main journalism course in the country,

which would be relevent if RTE and their ilk actually hired their broadcasters on that basis.

the premier current affairs broadcaster in the country is pat kenny.

his only qualifications is as a chemical engineer.

ditto joe duffy. social studies trinity.

all sharon ni bheolain ever did was teaching with a degree in ancient irish , and dobbo started off in pirate radio !

google half the big names in irish media and youll be hard pushed to find someone thats actually qualified to do that job.

but ya do find an awfull lot of trinity/ucd heads. aine lawlor, claire byrne , miriam o callaghan. ok im guilty of using a trope of saying "all", and im sorry for that , but these are the heavy hitters of irish media that dominate the airwaves and if you look at newstalk et all its not all that different.

sarah carey ,sean moncreif, marc coleman . list goes on.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

which would be relevent if RTE and their ilk actually hired their broadcasters on that basis.

the premier current affairs broadcaster in the country is pat kenny.

his only qualifications is as a chemical engineer.

ditto joe duffy. social studies trinity.

all sharon ni bheolain ever did was teaching with a degree in ancient irish , and dobbo started off in pirate radio !

google half the big names in irish media and youll be hard pushed to find someone thats actually qualified to do that job.

but ya do find an awfull lot of trinity/ucd heads. aine lawlor, claire byrne , miriam o callaghan. ok im guilty of using a trope of saying "all", and im sorry for that , but these are the heavy hitters of irish media that dominate the airwaves and if you look at newstalk et all its not all that different.

sarah carey ,sean moncreif, marc coleman . list goes on.

:D

Clair Byrne and Miriam heavyhitters?

I asked questions on the back of some of your statements that I felt weren't based on fact but on your own presumptions (also the fact that "native" Irish sounds like a stupid phrase from 'Gangs of New York' I took issue with)

P.s. I might also add you cherry-picked the census figures yourself there to suit your argument.
    Given that , by official reckoning 17% of the currentpopulation were born outside the country (+ their children), + all those who are here illegally, how long will it be before the loony left/politically correct brigade starting demanding that 20%+ members of the Dail should be from those born outside the country; or that 20% of the Gardai/Army etc. should be also drawn from the immigrant community. You really think that that is sustainable? Do you have any upper limit in mind to the percentage of the Irish population that should be made up from immigrants?

In the last census 87.4% of people identified "Irish" as their ethnicity and 1 in 3 emigrants to Ireland had a college degree or higher. That doesn't sound like a recipe for a disaster, especially if proper policies are pursued and unfounded xenophobic fears don't create a "them" versus "us" society.

Unlike the UK we do not have systematic issues with integration so far like in cities such as Bristol and Leicester. Therefore we are handling things well based on all available evidence. (Bar of course widespread anti-semitism in Limerick in the 1930s sadly, which hopefully we won't return to.)
    ....how long will it be before the loony left/politically correct brigade starting demanding that 20%+ members of the Dail should be from those born outside the country; or that 20% of the Gardai/Army etc. should be also drawn from the immigrant community. You really think that that is sustainable? Do you have any upper limit in mind to the percentage of the Irish population that should be made up from immigrants?

You do seem to have things very well mapped out here. Maybe you have insider information or evidence that you could base these things actually happening on?

And if they did happen, so what?

Surely that would mean we would have more Irish citizens of "non-native" ethnicity (to use your lexicon) creating greater involvement and integration in Irish society with some of our newer visitors? Is that something to be feared "if" it happened? Sounds like a good way of avoiding the apocalypse that you seem to fear is coming...
    13 years = a wet weekend in my book.

If you think 13 years is a "wet weekend" - fair enough, that's your opinion, others may differ. I personally would find nearly a decade and a half a particularly long weekend (especially if it was wet, then it would really drag....)
    PS - I don't listen to Dil's programme but have caught snatches of it from time to time; but given Newstalk's annoying habit of interviewing their own radio personalities it's hard to avoid her as she's a regular on "The Right Hook".

I agree it is annoying habit to interview your own personalities, but that's not a problem exclusive to Newstalk or Dil, and luckily there's a lot of variety in what's available live or even via podcast.

I would also say that people could fully criticize her show, presentation or even her viewpoints, but there seems to be a lot of presumption and false equivalencies in your argument regarding Ireland and immigrants.

I would also say that people could fully criticize her show, presentation or even her viewpoints.

But according to hotmail.com criticising her 'show presentation or even her viewpoints' is proof positive of racism....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I often listen to Global Village on my way to work on a sat night and here's what i think.

1. The presenter is awful
    2. The production is awful
    3. The content is awful

From a plain radio point of views its one of the worst shows on Irish radio.

Add to that, i believe, the view that if you're not a black, gay, traveller then shame on you !

Add to that the presenter often trying to say cliches such as " ah sure its grand" is cringeworthy at best.

The point in the show where they once talked about a specific country and a "researcher" read from a script with all the passion of a 6 yr old doing their reading in school was a eh eh eh highlight:rolleyes:

Forgot all the racism etc. Its plain and simple an awful 2 hrs of radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

From a seasoned broadcaster, the interview with Vincent Browne this morning was awful. He sounded like he was still asleep, with no interest whatsoever in the subject.

Could they not have woken him up before bringing him on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

From a seasoned broadcaster, the interview with Vincent Browne this morning was awful. He sounded like he was still asleep, with no interest whatsoever in the subject.

I heard him when he was interviewed before 9am before and he was very sleepy, but I guess he doesnt get back until late at night with the TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I heard him when he was interviewed before 9am before and he was very sleepy, but I guess he doesnt get back until late at night with the TV show.

He's currently on extended holidays isn't he ?

But according to hotmail.com criticising her 'show presentation or even her viewpoints' is proof positive of racism....

A lot of the times, yes, it is proof of racism.

People's comments on this site show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

A lot of the times, yes, it is proof of racism.

People's comments on this site show it.

So criticising professional competency racist once the target is not white?

What a moronic post.

1. I'm not hotmail.com and

2. I agree the show isn't that polished, then again it is on at 8.00pm on a Saturday.

I'm taking issue with some of the weird mental leaps people are making about a relatively obscure show being evidence of some sort of left wing agenda or immigration issue bringing destruction on Erin. My eyebrows also get raised when terms like "native Irish" get thrown around and that certain people in society shouldn't be allowed to talk about their rights. I think anyone who says that should happen should be very detailed about why a fundamental right should be taken away from someone.

As someone pointed out above it is interesting how many people take issue with the content of an obscure show and Dil's role as a talking head on these issues in Ireland.
    Add to that, i believe, the view that if you're not a black, gay, traveller then shame on you !

Really? Could you cite a specific example where she implicitly or explicitly said this? I wouldn't agree with that if she said it either...and it seems at odds with her general message of inclusiveness in a society is a good thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement