Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

A lot of the times, yes, it is proof of racism.

People's comments on this site show it.

The vast majority of peoples comments on this site are that they do not agree with her view point. Equating that with racism is deplorable.

@ Magpie - I never posted what you quoted me as posting???

Originally Posted by Bits_n_Bobs View Post
    Add to that, i believe, the view that if you're not a black, gay, traveller then shame on you !

And my criticism was pointed at hotmail - not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I don't like the radio show - does this mean I'm racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I don't like the radio show - does this mean I'm racist?

apparently..... yes.

I'm also an immigrant into Ireland.... so I also think that show is very poor..... accordingly I have no idea what to make of myself!

Is there any parking at Newstalk? I get the impression, not knowing the area, that Newstalk is in the city centre and only accessible by public transport realistically. Does anyone here know the area of Briggs Lane?

Will PK be getting to work on Dublin Bus versus parking out at Montrose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

salonfire wrote: »
    Is there any parking at Newstalk? I get the impression, not knowing the area, that Newstalk is in the city centre and only accessible by public transport realistically. Does anyone here know the area of Briggs Lane?

Its Diggs Lane, i think. It's right beside Stephen's Green SC. There's another multi storey carpark on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

PArt of the same street block as theDrury Lane car park; can't imagine that'll be much of a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

What's going on? No Tom Dunne!! Will Jonathan Healy have to be even more dramatic if half an hour is knocked off his show? Does PK know what he's letting himself in for?? I can't wait for the Friday Right Hook with him, George and Bobby Kerr....Pat gives me the impression that he doesn't suffer fools gladly....maybe he won't be able to see the wood for the trees....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Global Village is the worst show on radio. Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Dave! wrote: »

yeah that tinita tikerum is a head wrecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

From a seasoned broadcaster, the interview with Vincent Browne this morning was awful. He sounded like he was still asleep, with no interest whatsoever in the subject.

Could they not have woken him up before bringing him on!

What show was he on, "breakfast" or TD? (Its ok, I have found it on Breakfast now)

Most people are talking about T Dunne possibly going, but what about Jonathan Healy? His show is kinda like what P Kenny might be doing, so where will he go I wonder.

I still cant get my head around P Kenny moving to Newstalk,I think I am dreaming............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jimmyw wrote: »
    What show was he on, "breakfast" or TD? (Its ok, I have found it on Breakfast now)

Most people are talking about T Dunne possibly going, but what about Jonathan Healy? His show is kinda like what P Kenny might be doing, so where will he go I wonder.

I still cant get my head around P Kenny moving to Newstalk,I think I am dreaming............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Move everything up an hour and give Tom a music show in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I wonder how much Newstalk are going to pay Pat Kenny ?

He apparently left RTE for contractual reasons. A reduction from €900,000 to €600,000 didn't go down well, apparently (according to BBC Radio UIlster).

Is €600,000 a fair salary for a radio presenter ?

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

He apparently left RTE for contractual reasons. A reduction from €900,000 to €600,000 didn't go down well, apparently (according to BBC Radio UIlster).

Not if you can get more somewhere else.I doubt Tubridy or Miriam would get an offer worth considering though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

Have Matt Cooper replace George Hook, bring back OTB, get a decent breakfast show

• Advertisement

awww poor pat couldnt make ends meet with the pittance he was getting at montrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

Especially one that's only a jumped up disc jockey. :D

In fairness, I think that Joe Duffy's 'Funny Friday' edition of Liveline would be in the running for that award. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The one show on radio where I'd rather change the station than keep my eyes on the road :eek:

Complete awfulness. Someone said it wasn't polished. Well, there are certain things that can't be polished, Global Village is one of them.

In fairness, I think that Joe Duffy's 'Funny Friday' edition of Liveline would be in the running for that award. :D

Oh god, I daren't expose myself to such a thing, if it exists! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Does Coleman have a cough or is it some nervous disorder. He's had it for at least a couple of months.....very annoying listening to him.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

think he is asthmatic

Just heard Coleman after the news return to a discussion on "The economic impact of divorce on America" (he let us know immediately that it has been "devastating"), and had to shout at the radio and turn it off.

If Bill O'Reilly has a radio show, I imagine it's very similar to Coleman at Large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If Bill O'Reilly has a radio show, I imagine it's very similar to Coleman at Large.

I dont think that's fair Dave... Bill O'Reilly is far more overbearing and dominant than Coleman.. And I know that IS saying something.. but it's true.. And given that it's on TV, O'Reilly also has a lot more control over the camera work and other subtle things that allow him to steer the show without much of a window for the alternate viewpoint.

O'Reilly is of course far worse, I'm exaggerating a bit. But everything in America is bigger and louder than the rest of the world - Coleman never stood a chance! :D

Coleman is our equivalent though in terms of being a conservative jerk. And he is quite overbearing too, I constantly hear him talking over people and not giving them a chance to make their points. One that comes to mind recently was some Young Fine Gael woman who he destroyed on the abortion issue.

Coleman is our equivalent though in terms of being a conservative jerk. And he is quite overbearing too, I constantly hear him talking over people and not giving them a chance to make their points.

I nearly spat out my tea when I heard him say that (now that Pat Kenny is gone) RTE would now look to Joe Duffy to give any important topic an "impartial" airing... I'd have to question the objectivity of any broadcaster who would portray Joe Duffy as being impartial.. :D

Nah.... Papa Bear Bill O'Reilly is far too clever to compare to Coleman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

think he is asthmatic

ummmm...that doesnt really sound like anything asthma related.

sounds like some form of nasal tourettes

agreed with the very annoying comment, hard to concentrate on whatever tripe/flem being spat out by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

nasal tourettes

That's a great description of what it sounds like:)

I used to know someone who made similar noises while talking, as far as I was aware it was just a habit rather then any medical condition.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I know this is going to sound a bit cruel but ...

I had left the car radio on Newstalk and caught some of Tom Dunne this morning. Tom was saying how he hadn't taken any holidays.

I was thinking "Don't worry about that Tom ..."

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    I was thinking "Don't worry about that Tom ..."

You're going straight to hell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

patbike.jpg
    For the past few years, Prime Time host Pat has been getting the better of traffic by travelling between his home in Killiney and RTE on a BMW C1, with a four stroke engine boasting 124cc.

However, he had company in the RTE car park this week from Tubridy on a 50cc Vespa.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/mines-bigger-than-yours-pat-jokes-with-copycat-biker-tubs-29333782.html

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He does at least he did. It was on FOX radio and syndicated. Heard it a few years ago when I was in America and ya he is the same as on TV. Same name as the TV show but with radio in front of it or something.

My folks bought some tabloid garbage yesterday or the day before, and the cover story was of course the tragedy about those two young boys who were killed. I thought it was strange that the photo of the pair that accompanied the piece (on the front page) had one of the boys wearing a Newstalk t-shirt! Very clear, there was nothing covering it, just a big Newstalk logo plastered on it.

I was trying to find out if it was a Denis O'Brien-owned publication, but I think it wasn't. Possibly the Daily Mail.

I thought it might have been the most distasteful advertising in the history of the world :p, but I guess it was just the best photo that they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

My folks bought some tabloid garbage yesterday or the day before, and the cover story was of course the tragedy about those two young boys who were killed. I thought it was strange that the photo of the pair that accompanied the piece (on the front page) had one of the boys wearing a Newstalk t-shirt! Very clear, there was nothing covering it, just a big Newstalk logo plastered on it.

I was trying to find out if it was a Denis O'Brien-owned publication, but I think it wasn't. Possibly the Daily Mail.

I thought it might have been the most distasteful advertising in the history of the world :p, but I guess it was just the best photo that they had.

Saw it 2 it was 1 t-shirt do not think it was advertisment just a coincedence, its on every site even rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Have to admit , got a laugh out of jonothan saying pat will be his warm up guy :D

As for tom . There's plenty of slots in the evening where newstalk just do repeats . And that's before ya get into the shytefest that is their weekend line up.

Plenty of scope for the guy to go there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

As for tom . There's plenty of slots in the evening where newstalk just do repeats .
    after midnight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Saw it 2 it was 1 t-shirt do not think it was advertisment just a coincedence, its on every site even rte.

Newstalk were sponsors of a GAA event the young lad had attended.

Have to admit , got a laugh out of jonothan saying pat will be his warm up guy :D

As for tom . There's plenty of slots in the evening where newstalk just do repeats . And that's before ya get into the shytefest that is their weekend line up.

Plenty of scope for the guy to go there .

A music show where the sports programme is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Are they keeping Breakfast 7-10? or change 7-9 instead and do a RTE 9-10 time slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Badabing wrote: »
    Are they keeping Breakfast 7-10? or change 7-9 instead and do a RTE 9-10 time slot.
    'Twill be interesting to see what they do alright. The 9-10 slot on Radio 1 is a disaster IMO, neither being light enough or serious enough, and presumably, having all the best stories vetoed by either Morning Ireland or (up til now) Pat Kenny.

The problem they will have is that the last part of Breakfast is a kind of light section, so how to mix 3 hours of serious and light with another 2.5 hours of serious and light. Followed by another hour (or hour and a half ) of serious news.

Including Business Breakfast, you could be looking at a potential 7 hours (:eek:) of (somewhat) serious content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

serfboard wrote: »
    Including Business Breakfast, you could be looking at a potential 7 hours (:eek:) of (somewhat) serious content.
    Might even start living up to its name "NewsTalk" if they arent careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

theSHU wrote: »
    Have Matt Cooper replace George Hook, bring back OTB, get a decent breakfast show

Agreed on OTB and breakfast show(its beyond abysmal) but Cooper? Give me Hook's waffle over his monotonous droning any day! Looking forward to Pat the plank myself, will be interesting to see how the show pans out. Tom Dunne was fluffy stuff pitched at housewives primarily but Pat should take it in a new direction. I'll miss the frontline too, thought that wasn't bad.

Frontline hasn't been on for a while has it? He's been on Primetime

I used to like Frontline a lot, purely serious political stuff, what Pat is most naturally suited to. Was disappointed to see it end. I don't even like on his current show when he starts doing anything softer.

"you're brilliant... Your amazing"

So goes Hookys monthly climax over Barry Kenny.

• Advertisement

"you're brilliant... Your amazing"

So goes Hookys monthly climax over Barry Kenny.

The blind leading the blind; you could put Hook's knowledge about railways on a small postage stamp and Kenny's on slightly larger one.

God god.. has a bad joke ever been beaten to death as much as Fionn Davenport's Pat Kenny "joke"... Just move on ffs, you're not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Yes dreadful radio... I had to stop the car, send them a text then turn off the radio....it came across as sour grapes...they probably think it's cutting edge humour

What was the joke?

BTW I accidentally overheard Chris Donohue 'bantering' with whoever is co-hosting the Breakfast Show now, and my god it was excruciating. Chris + Nora, Chris + Ivan, Chris + whoever... all terrible chemistry. Common denominator? Chris Donohue

Wish they'd get that bloke off the radio, or put him in a different context or something. I can't handle any of that contrived banter nonsense!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement