Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dave! wrote: »
    What was the joke?

Co Presenter:"Were you there today when you were bringing it in, Fionn?"
    Fionn: "Yeah I didnt think they'd get it up in the lift"..
    (in reference to a fictitious throne that Pat Kenny was having brought in to the studio)..

Fionn: "The men have to bow, and the women have to curtsey".
    etc etc

Continue the same "joke" in the same vein for about 15 minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭edelweis

Catmologen wrote: »
    Agreed on OTB and breakfast show(its beyond abysmal) but Cooper? Give me Hook's waffle over his monotonous droning any day! Looking forward to Pat the plank myself, will be interesting to see how the show pans out. Tom Dunne was fluffy stuff pitched at housewives primarily but Pat should take it in a new direction. I'll miss the frontline too, thought that wasn't bad.

Do "Housewives" exist as a demographic anymore??? Think not Catmologen. It is 2013 after all!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

BTW I accidentally overheard Chris Donohue 'bantering' with whoever is co-hosting the Breakfast Show now, and my god it was excruciating. Chris + Nora, Chris + Ivan, Chris + whoever... all terrible chemistry. Common denominator? Chris Donohue

Wish they'd get that bloke off the radio, or put him in a different context or something. I can't handle any of that contrived banter nonsense!

agreed....its been mentioned here before so I am plagiarising but I am in complete agreement with whoever said before that chris must have something on DOB, photos of himself and lowry getting up on one another in a sauna after a game of squash or something.

it defies logic as to how he has been on the airwaves for so long or got there in the first place. im thinking assistant manager at a carphone warehouse at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thankfully we won't be seeing him on the telly any time soon, at least until he stops borrowing his da's suits!

Chrisnew.png

What age is he, 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think he's around 28 or 29. I'm not a fan myself but you'd have to admire somebody that age becoming the host of a nationwide morning show in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

jonathan Healy mentioned today that his show will be starting after Pats new show, but if Pats show is current affairs, Jons is similar so how can thay have two CA shows?

I texted him in today with that question, but he never read it out. so 30 cent wasted:(

With regard to Chris, I was willing to give him a chance and for me to get used to him but it didn't really happen.I think he is too formal, he needs to loosen up a bit.He was once filling in on the Sunday show and he was wearing a flippin suit while all the guests were in casuals.......but isn't he going to be back with Nora on a new weekend show in September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

edelweis wrote: »
    Do "Housewives" exist as a demographic anymore??? Think not Catmologen. It is 2013 after all!!!

Have you EVER listened to Tom Dunne's show?

Thankfully we won't be seeing him on the telly any time soon, at least until he stops borrowing his da's suits!

Chrisnew.png

What age is he, 18?

His da? Looks like he borrowed it off his mate who wore it in court.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Of course they do. :confused:

Plenty of house husbands ring him up also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

jimmyw wrote: »
    jonathan Healy mentioned today that his show will be starting after Pats new show, but if Pats show is current affairs, Jons is similar so how can thay have two CA shows?

I texted him in today with that question, but he never read it out. so 30 cent wasted:(

With regard to Chris, I was willing to give him a chance and for me to get used to him but it didn't really happen.I think he is too formal, he needs to loosen up a bit.He was once filling in on the Sunday show and he was wearing a flippin suit while all the guests were in casuals.......but isn't he going to be back with Nora on a new weekend show in September?

It's not the BBC in the flippin 1950's so what difference does it make? As for anything on Newstalk being too formal....if it was any more casual it would be horizontal!

Anyway, I can't see PK staying long with Newstalk it's just not big enough for his ego. Why he doesn't retire gracefully and count his money is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

J,M+J - 'housewives'! they left with Golly Bars!

It's 'Housekeeper' now, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I think he's around 28 or 29. I'm not a fan myself but you'd have to admire somebody that age becoming the host of a nationwide morning show in fairness.

i do actually laud that.

lots has been made about the gender issue on radio but bugger all has been said about damn near every presenter out there being over the average age of the country (36) by some miles.

some of the girls are still in their thirties but im hard pressed to think of any big name male broadcaster who's this side of 40.

listening to shane coleman trying to understand facebook this morning is a classic example of generational detatchment.

chris aint great, but he's by no means the worst out there. at least he can utter a sentence without coughing and spluttering all over the place like some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listening to shane coleman trying to understand facebook this morning is a classic example of generational detatchment.

Really? no it's just ignorance / tech phobia

'Social networking' on what we now call the internet has been around for 30+ years, all facebook etc. did is monetise it.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

ninja900 wrote: »
    Really? no it's just ignorance / tech phobia

'Social networking' on what we now call the internet has been around for 30+ years, all facebook etc. did is monetise it.

Exactly.
    Just like cloud computing.
    All the media chatter is how that its the future not mentioning its been the norm for a couple of decades now.

i do actually laud that.

lots has been made about the gender issue on radio but bugger all has been said about damn near every presenter out there being over the average age of the country (36) by some miles.

some of the girls are still in their thirties but im hard pressed to think of any big name male broadcaster who's this side of 40.

chris aint great, but he's by no means the worst out there. at least he can utter a sentence without coughing and spluttering all over the place like some.

i dunno, isn't that kind of reinforcing the argument that maybe somebody a bit long in the tooth is more suited to such a role because chris is absolutely sh*te at what he does in every respect? i do agree with you though that its a crying shame they just can't get someone young who's up to the task, if this is the best young talent (which i seriously doubt) then it's shameful.

as for his sentence uttering, i'd really disagree with you there... this is probably his biggest problem, he fumbles and struggles looking for the right words to say but his level of vocab just isn't there, its like he's verbally constipated tearing off that shiny suit that's 5 times too big for him as he's trying to get the words out...here's a low blow but griffith college says a lot, and it says even more about about some people's leaving cert result, i doubt chris did too well in English...or maths, or a whole bunch of other stuff. I'd say he might have aced something like home ec. tho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Simple, Kenny will do more varied long form stuff, interviews with ministers and the like, Healy'll do lunchtime news, headline focused show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

So Kenny will be the broadsheet and Healy will be the tabloid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Healy will be the tabloid?

So, no change there then. As someone posted here before "if the Herald could walk and talk, it would be called Jonathan Healy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's a pity they wouldn't go back to two hours (or more) for lunch time and put Kenny there. Irish radio (for the listener) is blighted with similar programmes going up against each other, and the "choice" is purely personality based!

It's not the BBC in the flippin 1950's so what difference does it make? As for anything on Newstalk being too formal....if it was any more casual it would be horizontal!

Anyway, I can't see PK staying long with Newstalk it's just not big enough for his ego. Why he doesn't retire gracefully and count his money is beyond me.

Well it looked wrong to me.Granted,no one would see him on the radio, but they would on the webcam.That was the point I was making, no suits on the radio on the weekends (or anytime actually) I would have thought.Its certainly not the 50s:).Very minor thing I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

I hope that Pat Kenny is listening to Newstalk right now....what utter nonsense...it's like being stuck with 3 boring but opinionated people on a train journey....as bad as Global Village and Liveline's Funny Friday are, at least they have a point...

Robdundalk wrote: »
    I hope that Pat Kenny is listening to Newstalk right now....what utter nonsense...

Seems now that some rights group have pushed NT in to having a token female member on the panel permanently.. It used to be a relaxed conversation, bit of sport, bit of general news, bit of slagging... It was brilliant.. Now it's the gospel according to Tara Duggan, delivered with the eloquence of Archbishop John McQuaid...

Christ, could you imagine if Pat Kenny on his first morning in the canteen got stuck at a table with Nora Casey, Tara Duggan and Dil Vickrimigration .... I'd say he'd quickly be running to the jacks while dialing Noel Curran on the speed-dial..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pure unmitigated rubbish. I'm not sure who annoys me most, Tara Duggan or Dave McIntyre. They make me want to throw my radio out the window.

Seems now that some rights group have pushed NT in to having a token female member on the panel permanently.. It used to be a relaxed conversation, bit of sport, bit of general news, bit of slagging... It was brilliant.. Now it's the gospel according to Tara Duggan, delivered with the eloquence of Archbishop John McQuaid...

Christ, could you imagine if Pat Kenny on his first morning in the canteen got stuck at a table with Nora Casey, Tara Duggan and Dil Vickrimigration .... I'd say he'd quickly be running to the jacks while dialing Noel Curran on the speed-dial..

You obviously don't listen to the show too often:P, cause she is only on it occasionally when the others are not available.Shane C was on holiday lately so he was not there.Its mainly either Bobby Kerr or Barry Kenny otherwise. The odd time they have Dr Ciara Kelly on too.
    Pure unmitigated rubbish. I'm not sure who annoys me most, Tara Duggan or Dave McIntyre. They make me want to throw my radio out the window.

Talking generally,I dont know why the hostility is towards the show.I like it, the banter etc.You cant please everyone on radio shows.There are shows I dont like, so for the most part I just listen to something else.So when ye dont like it, which is fair enough, just tune out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Talking generally,I dont know why the hostility is towards the show.I like it, the banter etc.You cant please everyone on radio shows.There are shows I dont like, so for the most part I just listen to something else.So when ye dont like it, which is fair enough, just tune out.

I also like the show but I think the problem is that it is clearly much better with the three first choice presenters (George, Shane & Dave) for whatever reason, and if any one of them is missing it just detracts from the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Robdundalk wrote: »
    t's like being stuck with 3 boring but opinionated people on a train journey....as bad as Global Village and Liveline's Funny Friday are, at least they have a point...

I happened to be at home last weekend and was watching the live TV option for global village. To call it an unstructured mess would be generous. The presenter spent most of the show pimping the txt number and her twitter handle. Abysmal stuff, heavy on generalities but light on relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

You obviously don't listen to the show too often:P, cause she is only on it occasionally when the others are not available.Shane C was on holiday lately so he was not there.Its mainly either Bobby Kerr or Barry Kenny otherwise. The odd time they have Dr Ciara Kelly on too.

There is no banter when Tara Duggan is on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

LOL!

There is no banter when Tara Duggan is on it.

I second that...just hostility, shouting, venom, anger, fury, rage, wrath and whole lot of other big fat angry woman characteristics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I wonder will Pat get the same holidays he's used to at RTE?

I like Karl Dieter.. Seems like a good guy (and a good guitarist as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Stevie Zodiac

What makes you think NewsTalk have a canteen? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Stevie Zodiac

What makes you think NewsTalk have a canteen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

There has to be a contrary POV, I suppose!

Kenny at NewsTalk isn't guaranteed to be bed if roses. However, my feeling about this development is that it gives NewsTalk a real opportunity to set a new benchmark for public service broadcasting on radio, the cheapest of the media, and the one best suited to PSB. Yates is being widely mooted for Breakfast, and if they can get someone decent for lunch, and move Matt Cooper over from Today FM for evening drive time, they'll be in a position to whip The Ort Ee Ee in the major urban markets.

Very interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish Times is part of Official Ireland along with RTE, they don't much like upstarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Hook and Colm O'Gorman in an endless loop all morning.....??

I was up at 5am sure this is the third time I've heard this interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

mike65 wrote: »
    The Irish Times is part of Official Ireland along with RTE, they don't much like upstarts.

They took the OTB 5... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rugby boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Quick question. What pogues song do they play at the end of either the saturday or sunday sports shows, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

royaler83 wrote: »
    Quick question. What pogues song do they play at the end of either the saturday or sunday sports shows, thanks
    The body of an American

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terrific Moncrieff today. They've been discussing the funniest nicknames for vagina.

edit

I hope the sarcasm is obvious in this post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Terrific Moncrieff everyday :)

BUT...today is Movies and Booze!!! :D

Wonder when they'll finally do Movies and Boobs though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Today it's Fionn Davenport does Moncrieff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Layinghen wrote: »
    Today it's Fionn Davenport does Moncrieff :(

He is terrible! Why do NT have him sit in for Sean each time he is off or on holidays?

EDIT: When does Pat start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

He is terrible! Why do NT have him sit in for Sean each time he is off or on holidays?

Davenport? He'ld suck the air out of a hurricane.

Hook: "There's no many females voices that I like"..

Three words George, Tara Bleedin Duggan... Thank god that foghorn is gone and we're back to the lads..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

EDIT: When does Pat start?

September 2nd as far as I know.

Global Village is great. It saves Irish manic depressives the hassle of having to mentally beat themselves up for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hmm, it is very community radio-ish I think. Listen to KCLR 96FM right now if you are bored though.

• Advertisement

Anybody having trouble with reception in the south kildare area.. I can only assume that RTE have given up competing with NT and have invested in a signal jammer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement