Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Where will Tom Dunne be going after Pat takes over?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Anyone know whats going on with all the presenters on newstalk? Surely its not a coincidence they are all on holidays at the same time?

Tom Dunne
    Sean Moncrief
    George Hook

all 3 shows have stand in presenters again today?

MIA too today were
    Derek Mooney
    Matt Cooper

Would it be holiday season?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Anyone know whats going on with all the presenters on newstalk? Surely its not a coincidence they are all on holidays at the same time?

Tom Dunne
    Sean Moncrief
    George Hook

all 3 shows have stand in presenters again today?

When is George Hook not MIA??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

am i alone in thinking tom might be gone already and were gonna be stuck with the stand in till pats show starts up ?

its only two weeks away now and it wouldnt be the first time someone disappeard off newstalk with no fanfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

gavindowd wrote: »

For the coffees id say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

gavindowd wrote: »

Dave Fannings job if RTE had an ounce of wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭sleepyman

am i alone in thinking tom might be gone already and were gonna be stuck with the stand in till pats show starts up ?

its only two weeks away now and it wouldnt be the first time someone disappeard off newstalk with no fanfare.
    Was thinking that myself aswell.Would the likes of Chris have to take a massive pay cut if he's only going to be doing a weekend show?Must be disappointing to go from heading the breakfast show to a weekend gig.Wonder will Ivan be on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Anyone else here Irelands emminent (?) historian Diarmuid Ferriter getting his ass whipped by Michael Graham (Bush 1&2 apologist) today.

Jaysus I thought it was embarrassing no fight, no facts no repost out of Ferriter and he let Graham run riot with his far right views.
    Twas like a teacher lecturing the dimwit in the class.

Is that the best that Irish academia can produce ?
    Is this the finest historian we have ?

not to worry Ferriter had one of his buddies on later to discuss History on the curriculum, normal service was resumed .

Im not bothered either way by the views Graham expressed it was how Ferriter let him ride him was the bit that struck me the most.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Anyone else here Irelands emminent (?) historian Diarmuid Ferriter getting his ass whipped by Michael Graham (Bush 1&2 apologist) today.

Jaysus I thought it was embarrassing no fight, no facts no repost out of Ferriter and he let Graham run riot with his far right views.
    Twas like a teacher lecturing the dimwit in the class.

Is that the best that Irish academia can produce ?
    Is this the finest historian we have ?

not to worry Ferriter had one of his buddies on later to discuss History on the curriculum, normal service was resumed .

Im not bothered either way by the views Graham expressed it was how Ferriter let him ride him was the bit that struck me the most.

I also witnessed Ferriter's 'ass-whipping' by Michael Graham. It was pretty embarrassing alright. It's nice to finally hear Michael in full flight though. I find it highly entertaining!

Ferriter was the same when he was interviewing the fellow who had "changed his mind/view" regarding the abolition of the Seanad. His interviewee didn't give one pressing argument as to why it should be abolished but Ferriter still let him ramble on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

I thought Ferriter did fine on Michael Graham....he didn't rise to the nonsense and just made his point at the end about Graham's unique version of history.
    I agree he gave the knob from the Independent an easy time re the Seanad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I quite liked Ferriter in for Hook.

Regarding him & Michael Graham, I assumed he was happy to stand by let Graham have at it....

Makes it easier to catch up on notes / texts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I quite like Ferriter myself but for once I found myself in agreement with Michael Graham, especially regarding Iraq.

I quite like Ferriter myself but for once I found myself in agreement with Michael Graham, especially regarding Iraq.

Phew! I was afraid to admit it in case it meant I was going insane but at least now I know I'm not the only one!!

In fairness, on Ferriter though, the Right Hook slot does seem to suit him far more than filling in for Sean Moncrieff. I think it's just because there's less pressure for him to be somewhat entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Listened to Diarmuid Ferriter last night on George's programme and have to agree he was far better than he was last week on Sean's programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

Tom Dunne moving to 10pm according to The Herald. And Marc Coleman leaving NewsTalk apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

GSF wrote: »
    Tom Dunne moving to 10pm according to The Herald. And Marc Coleman leaving NewsTalk apparently.

Parachute man should be sent home. He can listen to Bell X1 and bore the two ears off his wife there.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Parachute man should be sent home. He can listen to Bell X1 and bore the two ears off his wife there.

Herald also says that Dunne wants to do more hard news in the new late night show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Herald also says that Dunne wants to do more hard news in the new late night show

As if anyone will be listening. Hard news? His fake interest in anything that's not music related, is so obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here's the online version
    It's not known what format the new show will take, but sources say Dunne is 'keen' to take on harder news.

"Tom is very popular and has a loyal listenership. Certainly it's hoped that he can bring those listeners to his new slot and put his stamp on night-time radio," said a source.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/late-nights-for-tom-in-pat-radio-rejig-29513831.html

Tom Dunne and hard news do not seem like a good match. It looks like another odd move (if it's true).

gotta say im surprised that marcs seems to have gone.

like him or not his show did pull in the numbers in a slot that looks to be a fuking godforsaken graveyard.

christ knows i cant think of anything worth listening to besides the late debate on RTE 1 (when its on and depending who's presenting it)

So bit of a shocker as i thought the malteeser would be perfectly happy with colemans modus operandi

as to what tom may do, i can see dunne trying to do something similar to the sunday show that shane does. it tackles issues of the day/week but hardly in a jeremy paxman way so i guess well be getting his and biddys thoughts on slanegirl and the like.

:D

• Advertisement

I wonder is that the end of Davenport after Dark....no tears here if it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Christ on a bike... has anyone at Newstalk actually listened to Tom doing hard news?

This is a disappointing move tbh. I like Marc Coleman's show, offers something totally different at that time of night.

Tom is great at music discussion and the light stuff, but a hard hitting journo he ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Delighted Marc Coleman is leaving, not fussed what replaces him as anything after OTB is just noise

Coleman was a disgraceful presenter, and the fact that the producers and station management let such a vehicle for a personal agenda continue on for so long should be a stain on their judgement and reputation. If it was on the State broadcaster there would've been an enquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Robdundalk wrote: »
    I wonder is that the end of Davenport after Dark....no tears here if it is...

That show needs to be euthanised asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Delighted Marc Coleman is leaving, not fussed what replaces him as anything after OTB is just noise

Coleman was a disgraceful presenter, and the fact that the producers and station management let such a vehicle for a personal agenda continue on for so long should be a stain on their judgement and reputation. If it was on the State broadcaster there would've been an enquiry.

As much as i dislike Coleman the thoughts of that airhead replacing him sends shivers down my spine. The only thing Dunne should be presenting is your side order of fries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Skid X wrote: »
    Here's the online version

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/late-nights-for-tom-in-pat-radio-rejig-29513831.html

Tom Dunne and hard news do not seem like a good match. It looks like another odd move (if it's true).

Yes, after the Nell McCafferty episode you'd think the station would keep him at a safe distance from anything remotely controversial...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Mick Clifford standing in for Sean today:eek: It was woeful. Surely Newstalk like any other organisation has a holiday list to make sure everybody doesn't take their holidays at the same time.

It will be interesting to see how Tom gets on with an evening gig.

Layinghen wrote: »
    Mick Clifford standing in for Sean today:eek: It was woeful..

His interview on the Johnson and Johnson family consisted of .....

Tell me about Kate

Tell me about Jim

Tell me about Robert

Tell me about Peter

Seems to be the extent of his research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Tell me about Kate

Tell me about Jim

Tell me about Robert

Tell me about Peter

Seems to be the extent of his research.

Sounds like Tom, actually. Throw in a few 'reeeallys' and it'd be spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Will TD be on every night or just Tues and Wed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

As much as i dislike Coleman the thoughts of that airhead replacing him sends shivers down my spine. The only thing Dunne should be presenting is your side order of fries.

That's a bit harsh now. Pet sounds was a good show. Music radio is what he should be doing and it really shouldn't be taking Communicorp this long to realise that. Moving him back to Today fm or 98fm would of been the way to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Still, robbing the radio of an actual economist, liked or disliked, and replacing him with another lost drivetime type isn't exactly auspicious for a station like Newstalk. Just more dumbing down.

Caonima wrote: »
    Still, robbing the radio of an actual economist, liked or disliked, and replacing him with another lost drivetime type isn't exactly auspicious for a station like Newstalk. Just more dumbing down.

Coleman may be an economist but his show consisted of him coughing, wheezing, going off on a rant or shouting down his guests.

Coleman may be an economist but his show consisted of him coughing, wheezing, going off on a rant or shouting down his guests.

True, and he'll be replaced by Tom 'two question limit' Dunne, who is aural diarrhea at best.

Newstalk have jumped the shark here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

True, and he'll be replaced by Tom 'two question limit' Dunne, who is aural diarrhea at best.

Newstalk have jumped the shark here.

I'd say Dunne's doing it for peanuts to keep his job, you could shuffle himself and chris donoghue around that station reading the talking clock at 3am and they'd still hang on as they aren't going to be offered anything elsewhere, the pair of them are the Peter Principle personified within presenting in the media world.

I'd say Dunne's doing it for peanuts to keep his job, you could shuffle himself and chris donoghue around that station reading the talking clock at 3am and they'd still hang on as they aren't going to be offered anything elsewhere, the pair of them are the Peter Principle personified within presenting in the media world.

Sadly, true.

Wouldn't mind, but for all his misgivings he really doesn't deserve to be fecked around like that. He's been in Newstalk for ages and now he's getting the quasi-Spanish Archer for the incoming Plank. Hardly a great career move; he'd be better off fecking off somewhere else where he's appreciated. For the life of me, though, I can't think where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Being an Independent radio they should have a certain amount of time allocated to advertising that they cant go over (BCI Guidelines).
    I know where I used to work it was 10 minutes and im pretty sure its the same for all.

Yes, but this doesn't include promos for other shows.

This can make ad breaks appear longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Sadly, true.

Wouldn't mind, but for all his misgivings he really doesn't deserve to be fecked around like that. He's been in Newstalk for ages and now he's getting the quasi-Spanish Archer for the incoming Plank.

But he benefited when the exact same thing happened to Orla Barry. It's a tough business when you're are not getting the numbers and 55,000 was nowhere near good enough.

But he benefited when the exact same thing happening to Orla Barry. It's a tough business when you're are not getting the numbers and 55,000 was nowhere near good enough.

Good point. It is a numbers game. And in a market that is frankly getting hammered by podcasts from around the world, not to mention the populous' general disenchantment with the medium.

Be eager to know how Plank will do in the ratings. Reminds me of that line in the first Ghostbusters movie:

Ray: You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

I wonder if Colman still thinks "The best is yet to come"?

As to Tom Dunne dumbing down the evening slot have you listened to 4fm in the evenings. It would be comical if you didnt realise the callers were real people walking the streets. Its the only slot where Dunne would actually be the serious current affairs journalist.

Sadly, true.

Wouldn't mind, but for all his misgivings he really doesn't deserve to be fecked around like that. He's been in Newstalk for ages and now he's getting the quasi-Spanish Archer for the incoming Plank. Hardly a great career move; he'd be better off fecking off somewhere else where he's appreciated. For the life of me, though, I can't think where.

Problem is, the only other real places his style of presenting would fit in are other Communicorp stations (Today FM, Phantom, 98(possibly)).

The only other real option would be 2FM where he could go up against McLoone.

It's a real shame, I've said it before and I'll say it again now, he's a joy to listen to when he's talking about music IMO. He has a genuine enthusiasm for it and it really comes out on air. The best thing he's done in that mid-morning slot is the "My Life in Music" series.

Sadly though, I think the assessment of him doing it for peanuts just to keep his job may be accurate. Probably undercut what Coleman wanted and since it's a slot that not much is expected from he was given it.

touts wrote: »
    I wonder if Colman still thinks "The best is yet to come"?

As to Tom Dunne dumbing down the evening slot have you listened to 4fm in the evenings. It would be comical if you didnt realise the callers were real people walking the streets. Its the only slot where Dunne would actually be the serious current affairs journalist.

Never heard 4fm... tell me more...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sadly though, I think the assessment of him doing it for peanuts just to keep his job may be accurate. Probably undercut what Coleman wanted and since it's a slot that not much is expected from he was given it.

Doubt he'll be doing it for 'peanuts', Wnolan1992. He'll get his duckets.

Have to agree on the music point, though; he's a good musico type, knows his shit. Sadly, it seems that this is also another facet of broadcasting that seems to be getting euthanised rapidly. Can't really see him at Phantom, either. The hipsters wouldn't approve.

Doubt he'll be doing it for 'peanuts', Wnolan1992. He'll get his duckets.

Have to agree on the music point, though; he's a good musico type, knows his shit. Sadly, it seems that this is also another facet of broadcasting that seems to be getting euthanised rapidly. Can't really see him at Phantom, either. The hipsters wouldn't approve.

Maybe I'm mixing up Phantom with Nova? Don't really know the Dublin stations that well tbh.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mixing up Phantom with Nova? Don't really know the Dublin stations that well tbh.

Me either, sir :)

I just listen on the web from China. Pretty sure Phantom is for hipsters. Never heard of Nova.

• Advertisement

Yes, Tom Dunne loves his music but that doesn't make him an expert....huge swathes of music that he knows nothing about...he's one of the 'Beatles invented music' brigade...

Robdundalk wrote: »
    Yes, Tom Dunne loves his music but that doesn't make him an expert....huge swathes of music that he knows nothing about...he's one of the 'Beatles invented music' brigade...

.... you sure? Every so-called musico has made their fallacies. We've all been wrong, but that's what's wonderful about music - the debate. And he did that well enough.

Never heard 4fm... tell me more...

Hybrid Cross of Adrian Kennedy and Gerry Springer

Current topic is a howya going on about it's not her problem if she has sex with a married guy on a night out.

dont know who this guy is on coleman but its been a very good discussion so far on the biases in the media.

only problem is he keeps trying to rush things.

but seeing as RTE have fup all on itll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Pity about Coleman, his show was sort of crazy but it was unique! In a reasonably good way. I could see some sort of light Tom Dunne show with music holding on to a few OTB listeners but Dunne doing HARD news?!

The little I've heard of Ferriter standing in for George was good, he let his guests say what they had to say rather than, "When I was a young fella in the pres in Cork, like" ad nauseum on every topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement