Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Caonima wrote: »
    Sadly, true.

Wouldn't mind, but for all his misgivings he really doesn't deserve to be fecked around like that. He's been in Newstalk for ages and now he's getting the quasi-Spanish Archer for the incoming Plank. Hardly a great career move; he'd be better off fecking off somewhere else where he's appreciated. For the life of me, though, I can't think where.

Spot on! So right you are.....
    Don't have enough time to listen to morning radio, but avoid newstalk til td was over. But good luck to him in his new posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pity about Coleman, his show was sort of crazy but it was unique! In a reasonably good way. I could see some sort of light Tom Dunne show with music holding on to a few OTB listeners but Dunne doing HARD news?!

The little I've heard of Ferriter standing in for George was good, he let his guests say what they had to say rather than, "When I was a young fella in the pres in Cork, like" ad nauseum on every topic.

What's happening to Coleman...? His show getting canned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Never heard 4fm... tell me more...

A typical sort of thing seems to be a Nigerian will be on the phone and a general melee of racists and crackpots also phoning in to claim that Nigerians are to blame for all that is wrong in Ireland.

Then the following night a Traveller will be on the phone and a general melee of racists and crackpots phone in to claim that Travellers are to blame for all that is wrong in Ireland.

Then the following night a Polish guy will........

You get the picture. Basically it's a show that gives free reign to the lads you hope don't sit beside you at the bar in your local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

touts wrote: »
    I wonder if Colman still thinks "The best is yet to come"?

As to Tom Dunne dumbing down the evening slot have you listened to 4fm in the evenings. It would be comical if you didnt realise the callers were real people walking the streets. Its the only slot where Dunne would actually be the serious current affairs journalist.

4FM, 98FM, Q102, and FM104 in the evenings. They all make you realise we live in a country with a massive idiot quotient. The scary thing is that Colman, however much you disagreed with his views, was the best thing on radio in that time slot.
    Can't really see him at Phantom, either. The hipsters wouldn't approve.

The hipsters have long since abandoned that station, it's gone too mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'd have Dermot Ferriter in for George for longer.
    He's doing well.

Better than Angela Flannery over on 'the last word'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He's doing well.

Yeah he should ditch that tedious UCD gig and move to NT full-time.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's doing well.

She should be doing the midnight shift, with that monotone voice of hers. She is very hard to listen to! Zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He's doing well.

good god i was wondering who she was.

havent been able to stick the show long enough to find out.

no fear of matt doing a marion with her !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

He's doing well.

Enjoying Ferriter too.

Actually think Flannery is doing fine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Mick Clifford needs to get presenting lessons.. He makes Sam Smyth seem proficient..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

He's doing well.

She spells it Aingeala, she really is a snooze.

Dermot prior hosting skills from his history shows on RTE have really done him well.

Ya gotta love the sight of all these fee paying schools tryin to say they're no different than the normal ones .

It's like joe trying to say he's working class :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that sports news person on the Breakfast show is really starting to annoy me

is he permanent or is it just a summer job?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

He's dreadful, I've stopped listening... He's Fionn's regular sidekick... I'm sure some people think he's funny/witty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

What a load of drivel on Newstalk today. Four grown men discussing mashed potatoes ad nauseum. I know it is 'silly season' but repeats of ''My Life In Music" would be better than that rubbish.

Layinghen wrote: »
    What a load of drivel on Newstalk today. Four grown men discussing mashed potatoes ad nauseum. I know it is 'silly season' but repeats of ''My Life In Music" would be better than that rubbish.

it was fuking delusional stuff.

"how long to prepare your spuds before cooking?"

"40 minutes"

who DA FUK has 40 minutes to roast spuds before you start actually cooking them propper to make mash ?

classic example of just how little in touch the radio set are.

and jonathan healys no better today.

the countrys "Drinking problem". the only fecking people that seem to actually have a problem with the rest of us is them (the medical/media/political class)

the rest of us quite like getting pisssed out of our heads every week and riding in the jaxes.

i swear its like all the nutters from the catholic church from the 50s migrated to health so they can keep being nazis to the rest of us for having the audacity of living life the way we want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

I enjoyed Ferriter this week. He got up to speed very quickly after standing in for Moncrieff ( not the right format for him anyway ). He even came good tonight despite being thrown in with boring Bobby and that miserable twat McIntyre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

beagle wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ferriter this week. He got up to speed very quickly after standing in for Moncrieff ( not the right format for him anyway ). He even came good tonight despite being thrown in with boring Bobby and that miserable twat McIntyre.

He has definitely made up for his rather lame attempt at filling in for Sean anyway.

But yeah, it's fairly obvious that he just isn't suited to that show at all, where as he is very much suited to the drive time current affairs type program, where there is no real requirement for him to be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mary McEvoy is definitely being lined up for her own show it seems. She was more or less Shane Coleman's co-host on the Sunday Show today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Mary McEvoy is definitely being lined up for her own show it seems. She was more or less Shane Coleman's co-host on the Sunday Show today...

Was she not Tom Dunne's agony aunt? So he's not taking her with him to late nights where she can sort out the serious crackpots that infest late night radio obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not sure I can take too much of Pat Nevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

GSF wrote: »
    Was she not Tom Dunne's agony aunt? So he's not taking her with him to late nights where she can sort out the serious crackpots that infest late night radio obviously.

Yeah she was/is. Maybe she'll be given a slot on the weekends or something.

I could be wrong about this though, it's just she's been getting an awful lot of airtime in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

wonder who they're lining up to present the Breakfast show?Think it's next week there'll be someone new presenting.
    Poor old Chris got sidelined there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does Ivan's legally enforced exile not finish in September, which is next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

sleepyman wrote: »
    wonder who they're lining up to present the Breakfast show?Think it's next week there'll be someone new presenting.
    Poor old Chris got sidelined there.

Just had a look at his twitter. Says he'll be back next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Or as he calls it: "Twittah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Ivan will be back on the breakfast show very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Given Newstalk's predilection for moving presenters around like musical chairs, it wouldn't surprise me if Biddy turns up on Off The Ball before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

peadar76 wrote: »

fingers crossed

Yates followed by Kenny

excellent mornings radio

fingers crossed
    Yates followed by Kenny
    excellent mornings radio

Then over to Ronan Collins... sounds like a plan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

peadar76 wrote: »
    Bring back the main man . Newstalk is shaping up to have a cracking lineup, and should shake up the cosy leftie cartel in RTE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

well that's feckin disappointing to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Jane hadn't much to say for herself. Bizarre call.

Jane hadn't much to say for herself. Bizarre call.

Is was like a police interview..

Good show on Coleman tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

fingers crossed

Yates followed by Kenny

excellent mornings radio

You've got to be kidding right? Whatever about Ivan, the other fellah is so far up his own .....and it will all end in tears anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Anyone else liking some of the holiday/transition guest presenters?

I like Shane Coleman instead of Chris at breakfast.

Davenport did a better show than Tom ever did.

And I'll second Ferriter instead of Hook.

O'Cuiv seems to have forgotten that FF were meant to have been making sure that the financial services industry was being regulated for the previous 14 years... The problem didnt just land on them like a meteorite, it was prolonged mismanagement..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

You've got to be kidding right? Whatever about Ivan, the other fellah is so far up his own .....and it will all end in tears anyway.

just curious as to what you mean by end in tears? you think kenny will chuck his toys out of the pram in some manner? i'd say he's just after a top up on his fat pension and will bow out after 2 to 3 years. can see him doing a few nixers with sh*te current affairs programmes on TV3 at some stage also.

have to say, personally i'm neither a pat kenny slater nor fan but i'd take brian cowen reading articles from the farmers journal for 3 hours straight sooner than the tom dung show so I welcome his presence on newstalk in the morning, anything is better than that muck currently, whatever it is and whatever it is supposed to be i don't think anybody really knows, maybe tom does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pretty much what you said ^^^ I think once he tires of his backward career move to pirate private radio it will be be over to his lawyers - I'm quite looking forward to it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

just curious as to what you mean by end in tears? you think kenny will chuck his toys out of the pram in some manner? i'd say he's just after a top up on his fat pension and will bow out after 2 to 3 years. can see him doing a few nixers with sh*te current affairs programmes on TV3 at some stage also.

have to say, personally i'm neither a pat kenny slater nor fan but i'd take brian cowen reading articles from the farmers journal for 3 hours straight sooner than the tom dung show so I welcome his presence on newstalk in the morning, anything is better than that muck currently, whatever it is and whatever it is supposed to be i don't think anybody really knows, maybe tom does.

But didn't derek davis say last week that the reason that pat moved to newstalk, was because he's pension was gone.

Wasn't pat and gay byrne investing in some of david drumms projects. Id say it didn't end well.

Good show on Coleman tonight..

actually bloody listenable now colemans not on it !

but yeah its been good most of this week, no doubt boosted by the fact theres FUP all on RTE to compete with it as the late debate crew have gone on hols.

EDIT.

case in point.

on newstalk mick clifford is standing in for marc with bill tormey, angela long, sandra mara, brian o reilly
    covering the papers and cowans interview on TG4 straight off the batt.

on RTE.....

were getting last sunday "sunday miscellany" show. which RTE decided to just call "miscellany" tonight.

and pat rabbite wants to send us to jail for not buying a liscense for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

and pat rabbite wants to send us to jail for not buying a liscense for this ?

Back to your cave :)

Next a review of the noospapers after the noos on Noostalk... fkn hell.. :mad:

When interviewing their staff, Lidl make sure that the prospective staff member can say the name of the company right.. Can Noos NEWStalk not do the same?

pat might wanna be carefull who he offends.

Batcave_010_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

When interviewing their staff, Lidl make sure that the prospective staff member can say the name of the company right.. Can Noos NEWStalk not do the same?

Couldn't agree more. 'Noos' is nothing more than a sad affectation. A craven aping of US pronunciation. Like 'ree-search'.

Next up dee-fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭edelweis

So how is Lidl pronounced.....? Leedel sounds way poncier than Liddle

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭edelweis

I'm going to miss Tom Dunne and his radio lite. He's kind of a likeable airhead and we need a bit of that these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

edelweis wrote: »
    I'm going to miss Tom Dunne and his radio lite. He's kind of a likeable airhead and we need a bit of that these days

I liked him as well.As you say he had a likeable and easy going manner about him and provided an alternative to Pat when they were talking gibberish.
    No way I'll be listening to Darcy,his voice just bugs me for some reason.
    Tom might have something special for his last show tomorrow.

• Advertisement

edelweis wrote: »
    So how is Lidl pronounced.....? Leedel sounds way poncier than Liddle

I'm afraid it IS Leedel.. (and you dont get the job.. :( )

Have you thought about working in noos and media.. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement