Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Put Tom Dunne show on from 10 until 10.15 this morning and my god now I know why the show has so few listeners, utter drivel and made no sense him and the 2 contributors. He didn't go out with a bang today anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Badabing wrote: »
    Put Tom Dunne show on from 10 until 10.15 this morning and my god now I know why the show has so few listeners, utter drivel and made no sense him and the 2 contributors. He didn't go out with a bang today anyway.

Dunne can save face by telling people he made way for Pat Kenny. Better than getting the chop and being replaced by A.N. Other, which would probably have happened anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anybody have a ballpark idea for presenters salaries per annum in Newstalk? For instance Moncrieff or Tom Dunne, I know Tom is engaged in other media work such as voiceovers for ads and RTE tele programmes but what do you think they earn for the year down in Digges Lane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Does anybody have a ballpark idea for presenters salaries per annum in Newstalk? For instance Moncrieff or Tom Dunne, I know Tom is engaged in other media work such as voiceovers for ads and RTE tele programmes but what do you think they earn for the year down in Digges Lane?

About 60k I think!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Reading that Ivan's bankruptcy is sorted now, really hope he's back on the breakfast show. I'd love his insight on the latest polls on the government etc. breakfast show has been muck without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Fingers crossed that Ivan will return to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

pc7 wrote: »
    Reading that Ivan's bankruptcy is sorted now, really hope he's back on the breakfast show. I'd love his insight on the latest polls on the government etc. breakfast show has been muck without him.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/yates-gets-clean-bill-of-financial-health-in-the-uk-29542463.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Chris tweeted last night he was going in to newstalk today for top secret talks, fingers crossed its Ivan's return. Have to say if he is and with Pat Kenny to follow it'll keep my dial at 106 in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'd certainly go back to 106 to listen to Ivan.

I left, when I eventually just couldn't listen to that horrible woman, (now departed & I can't even remember her name anymore).

Personally, I don't know what all the hype about Kenny is all about. I couldn't care less about him. I may or may not listen to him, depending what he is talking about. I'm in the habit of switching between stations all the time.

Having said that, I admit to being wrong about a radio personality before. I couldn't stand Gerry Ryan when he was alive, but I believe that he has been impossible to replace and that his death was a huge loss to RTE's advertising income.

Confirmed Ivan is back from the 4th September delighted! http://newstalk.ie/reader/47.301/13330/0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Confirmed Ivan is back from the 4th September delighted! http://newstalk.ie/reader/47.301/13330/0/

Excellent. Finally I can listen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

\O/

Now if he can just elbow the young fella out of the way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ivan's not the worst but can be a bit puerile at times. I'll give him a twirl. How did his creditors get on? He will be in good company back at Newstalk - a refuge for financial chancers - starting at the highest level. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

to be interviewd on the bankruptcy thing on pat kennys first show tomorrow .

thatll be fun

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pleasantly surprised to hear this: seem to remember him saying in a post-bankruptcy interview that he wasn't bothered about getting back into broadcasting. Maybe he discovered he didn't have as many options as he thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Good news. I'll start listening to newstalk in the mornings again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ziggy wrote: »

The "banter" with Chris was always horrendous. But Ivan had a unique way of analysing things that I liked, and that outweighed the bad for me. Moreover, since his departure, there's been nothing to listen to down here in the mornings. Morning Ireland is too stuffy for me (well that's R1 in general tbh), Hector and Dempsey - enough said, and the local options are even worse. Having Ivan back at least means I'll be able to have the radio on before 10am now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The "banter" with Chris was always horrendous. But Ivan had a unique way of analysing things that I liked, and that outweighed the bad for me. Moreover, since his departure, there's been nothing to listen to down here in the mornings. Morning Ireland is too stuffy for me (well that's R1 in general tbh), Hector and Dempsey - enough said, and the local options are even worse. Having Ivan back at least means I'll be able to have the radio on before 10am now.

Ivan is very good at analysis and not afraid of taking on the politicos, people will criticise him for his business failures and for being a 'bankruptcy tourist', but its not really relevant, theres a fine line between success and failure. I think he will bolster a strengthening hand at Newstalk now, my main misgiving remains Chris Donoghue. Certainly Chris is intelligent and articulate but sounds 12 which for me is a big negative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Very coincidental that he was only released from UK bankruptcy yesterday and now he's moving his area of interest back to Ireland to his old job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Ivan's stock has risen in his absence, primarily because his replacements have been terrible... I agree with the previous post re his forced banter...unless he's had some sort of conversion he'll be back with his pro-money pro-business heartless soulless insights and banter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Contrived banter seems to be imposed on the show, it has been that way for years. If Chris Donoghue wasn't one of the participants, then I reckon it would be a bit more tolerable.

Ivan does make the show a bit better, but I still have no real interest in listening.

I'll be listening with interest to Pat Kenny's debut though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is it Ivan on his own in the morning? Also, any other changes in this autumn schedule?

Delighted Ivan will be back with us. That should put some manners on Chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dave! wrote: »
    Contrived banter seems to be imposed on the show, it has been that way for years. If Chris Donoghue wasn't one of the participants, then I reckon it would be a bit more tolerable.

It's fair to say Ivan was carrying that show. Good to hear he is back, chastened no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm listening specifically for the forced banter. Ivan and Chris had zero chemistry last time so hopefully that continues so I can have a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I'm listening specifically for the forced banter. Ivan and Chris had zero chemistry last time so hopefully that continues so I can have a good laugh.

It seemed to me that during their last stint together Ivan used to go out of his way to embarrass Chris on air last time around. Used to feel a bit sorry for Chris, not sure he will be too happy to see Ivan back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was thinking the same actually, ha... He'd often be slagging him about being single and stuff, Chris didn't seem to be too comfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Chris tweeted last night he was going in to newstalk today for top secret talks, fingers crossed its Ivan's return. Have to say if he is and with Pat Kenny to follow it'll keep my dial at 106 in the mornings.

So secret he was able to tweet about them...:rolleyes:

The Newstalk PR machine rolls on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

The Newstalk PR machine rolls on...

I'm not sure how well it's rolling, this is from their website...
    Ivan Yates is returning to Newstalk.

The former Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry will co-present the Breakfast show with Chris Donoghue from next Wednesday September 4th.

The move was announced at the launch of Newstalk's Autumn Schedule today, which also sees Pat Kenny taking over the mid morning slot from 10am - 12.30pm.

...but I can't find any details of this supposed launch anywhere. What's happening with Tom Dunne, Norah Casey...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

No, but I welcome him back. Yes, the baggage and all that, but genuinely I think he is upfront, asks the questions and is honest enough to know his own failings and how the system works. What's happening to Shane Coleman? Anyone know? He should be take over from Hook, who is way beyond his use by date now for prime time week day radio.

Hook should present a weekend light entertainment show, this would suit him very well rather than the cut and thrust of politics which is slipping past him painfully obviously now. Plus he's on holidays every two weeks or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What's happening to Shane Coleman? Anyone know? He should be take over from Hook, who is way beyond his use by date now for prime time week day radio.

Hook should present a weekend light entertainment show, this would suit him very well rather than the cut and thrust of politics which is slipping past him painfully obviously now. Plus he's on holidays every two weeks or so...

Hook's show is kind of unique. It's not politics/current affairs in the strict sense of the words, certainly not like Drivetime or Matt Cooper. It basically consists of Hook giving his opinion on things. Even though he can be infuriating at times, there's something compelling about his show, and I'd be more inclined to listen to it ahead of the other shows on at that time, apart from his pointless Friday show and the travel spot with that smug know-all Fionn Davenport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

No, but I welcome him back. Yes, the baggage and all that, but genuinely I think he is upfront, asks the questions and is honest enough to know his own failings and how the system works. What's happening to Shane Coleman? Anyone know? He should be take over from Hook, who is way beyond his use by date now for prime time week day radio.

I will certainly tune in to see what Ivan has to say anytime there is a political crisis. It will be interesting to see if he is still as friendly to FG ministers after his 16 months in exile out of the country.

I still think Matt Cooper will replace Hook and Tom Dunne will get the Today FM slot. But if that didn't happen then I would be happy to see Shane Coleman get the Right Hook slot.

And I'd agree on the light stuff for Hook. I'm finding him increasingly difficult to listen to on topical issues but the slots on Technology, Travel, Movies and Essential songs are enjoyable. I'd miss him for those alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

touts wrote: »
    the slots on Technology, Travel, Movies and Essential songs are enjoyable
    The extremely rare time I hear him talk about films consists of him lusting over some starlet from the 1940's or 50s. Personally, I don't find that enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So whats everyone thoughts on Pat's first show this morning?

I listened to about 5mins of the Bono interview and switched off....

Where is Tom gone? Today FM? A night slot on NT? Something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only heard the second half which I thought was excellent.
    Didn't tail off towards the end like he did on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Who is this guy on at the moment. He reminds me of the worst type of lecturers you'd encounter in college. They may have something interesting to say but their delivery would just put you in a coma.

Who is this guy on at the moment. He reminds me of the worst type of lecturers you'd encounter in college. They may have something interesting to say but their delivery would just put you in a coma.

Business Post deputy editor Pat Leahy: https://twitter.com/patleahysbp
    I think he's a regular on Moncrieff on Mondays: excellent political analyst but as you say, delivery is a tad ponderous...

I enjoyed Pat's first show. Read this in the Indo and it made me smile, so glad Ivan is back. I wonder will Chris try to throw some weight around after being on his own for the year.

Yates also wished his new colleague luck in his new post.

"I think it's great for Newstalk to have Pat and I hope he'll be as successful here as he has been in all his previous endeavours."

Yates jokingly added:

"It'll be nice to have a professional broadcaster around the place for a change, unlike my co-host Chris Donoghue."

Yates jokingly added:

"It'll be nice to have a professional broadcaster around the place for a change, unlike my co-host Chris Donoghue."[/I][/QUOTE]

Oh yes, he's back :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

I'm glad this :rolleyes: says 'roll eyes (sarcastic)' as I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not :rolleyes:

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

is chris donoghue staying put for the foreseeable so?

thought there were various stories going around about him getting the chop. got my hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So whats everyone thoughts on Pat's first show this morning?

I listened to about 5mins of the Bono interview and switched off....

Where is Tom gone? Today FM? A night slot on NT? Something else?

Pet Sounds part 2 maybe.

All the old post 10 p.m. shows are still listed on the website. Do we know for definite that Coleman at Large has been dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seem to be quite a few unknowns regarding the autumn schedule.

What's on after ten?
    What'll Tom Dunne do?
    When is the weekend sport coming under the OTB name?
    Is everything else staying the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

is chris donoghue staying put for the foreseeable so?

thought there were various stories going around about him getting the chop. got my hopes up.

As far as I know, he is moving to a new show with former presenter Norah Casey later on this month or later I think.

First impressions of Pats new show are good, except for that first guest,(You know who that is).Maybe if I had that fellas millions/billions I could afford to be pontificating to us about supporting people in Ghana or wherever.

So far PK 1 SOR 0.

All the old post 10 p.m. shows are still listed on the website. Do we know for definite that Coleman at Large has been dropped?
    Green Room still there anyway...

Can't wait for tomorrow morning and the return of Ivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I worry about poor George H's blood pressure when he gets these texts that really irks him just like the one he got today just before the 5pm news where they accused him of supporting students having an expensive uniform.

You rarely get this on other programmes at this time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement