Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

If there's one thing Newstalk excel at, it's smug one-sided anti-gun discussions. Perhaps if we had more liberal gun laws here, we wouldn't have the usual resigned shoulder-shrugging response to crime in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

If there's one thing Newstalk excel at, it's smug one-sided anti-gun discussions. Perhaps if we had more liberal gun laws here, we wouldn't have the usual resigned shoulder-shrugging response to crime in Ireland.

Didn't seem that smug to be honest. Dunno, that's just me. As a sporting gun owner myself I can't say I disagreed with anything they've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

The US has the most guns per head in the world and has the highest rate of deaths from firearms. Japan has the lowest rate of gun ownership and has the least rate of deaths from firearms.

The US has the most guns per head in the world and has the highest rate of deaths from firearms. Japan has the lowest rate of gun ownership and has the least rate of deaths from firearms.

and who is dying from those guns...are they all schoolkids and workers on army bases? Or are they criminals killed in self defence? Not all gun deaths are a bad thing, there is a large number of violent, repeat offender criminals in Ireland and they need to be compelled to respect the law. If it takes the barrel of a gun to compel them, so be it.

and who is dying from those guns...are they all schoolkids and workers on army bases? Or are they criminals killed in self defence? Not all gun deaths are a bad thing, there is a large number of violent, repeat offender criminals in Ireland and they need to be compelled to respect the law. If it takes the barrel of a gun to compel them, so be it.

Of the 8,300 gun related homicides in the US per year only 230 are justifiable homicides. 600 are unintentional shootings. There is no evidence that liberal gun laws deters criminality.

• Advertisement

Of the 8,300 gun related homicides in the US per year only 230 are justifiable homicides. 600 are unintentional shootings. There is no evidence that liberal gun laws deters criminality.

We should probably tell the shop raiders, tiger kidnappers, subversives, drug dealers and home intruders that guns don't work.

and we should probably tell Padraig Nally that he didn't deter Frog Ward one bit.

We should probably tell the shop raiders, tiger kidnappers, subversives, drug dealers and home intruders that guns don't work.

and we should probably tell Padraig Nally that he didn't deter Frog Ward one bit.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

First time listening to the right hook in an age (mainly as fri on the other shows is crap)

got a laugh out of ger ( ?) listing off a reem of task george has never did in his life as the wife does it all and the ma
    spoiled him back in the day.

he tried to give a dig about this not being the 1930s but ya could almost hear the envy in his voice

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk have just lost the football coverage, and the programme its part of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalk have just lost the football coverage, and the programme its part of!

Ya what the hell is going on?

• Advertisement

Someone must know what the Dickins is going on - maybe the coverage is fine but someone pressed the wrong button so playing out the wrong content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Weekend Blend? Their emergency tape must be years old. Maybe we'll get some McDevitt era Off the Ball in a minute.

Maybe RTE have invaded newstalk towers to get PK back!

and we're back! Its half time so hopefully we'll hear something from the studio.

It was mentioned but in such a way to suggest it was a brief failure rather than a significant boo boo.

Pat Nevin for the "big game" :(

Its happened again, its a NT have an issue with their level overload. back quickly this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They could do with a new emergency tape, listening to homeless heroine addicts is not very enjoyable.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its happened again, its a NT have an issue with their level overload. back quickly this time.

Being a liverpool fan, it makes great listening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jonathon Healy's campaign against the alcohol industry is reaching Joe Duffy proportions in the vested interest stakes.

It must be great to have the airwaves to yourself everyday to promote your own agendas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lapin wrote: »
    Jonathon Healy's campaign against the alcohol industry is reaching Joe Duffy proportions in the vested interest stakes.

It must be great to have the airwaves to yourself everyday to promote your own agendas.

dont think the alcohol industry as a sector is joes issue but just jagermeister which he showed a total disregard to a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Healy's obsession with the drinks industry and "cheap" alcohol stems back to when he bought himself a case of 20 bottles of Budweiser a few months back and after drinking one bottle, he felt like having another one. They were very morish apparently :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Healy's obsession with the drinks industry and "cheap" alcohol stems back to when he bought himself a case of 20 bottles of Budweiser a few months back and after drinking one bottle, he felt like having another one. They were very morish apparently :rolleyes:

That was his first mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He's calling it the NOOSE now.. How can a guy working in journalism have such poor spoken English..

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Any chance of Newstalk ever coming on to Clermont Cairn or Kippure ?

Or is that it for transmitters and coverage ?

You hear one Crystal Swing interview, you've heard 'em all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You hear one Crystal Swing interview, you've heard 'em all.

It was a lot less belligerent than the Derek Mooney interview... <-- Jesus there's a phrase I never thought I heard myself say.. :)

ha ha ha ha ha.

gobshyte insider on newstalk (who's relation set up the seanad) saying we dont have ENOUGH politicians !

:D:D:D:D

doesnt even have the crowd of culchies he's supposed to represent with him.

ha ha ha ha ha.

gobshyte insider on newstalk (who's relation set up the seanad) saying we dont have ENOUGH politicians !

Fianna fail gombeens on with there cheerleader jonathon healy. Healy must be looking for a job in RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ha ha ha ha ha.

"crowd of culchies"?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Fianna fail gombeens on with there cheerleader jonathon healy. Healy must be looking for a job in RTE!

Everytime someone says 'Jonothan Healy'.... You are supposed to follow with "broadcasting from Cairk".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

I wish somebody would tell George Hook to calm down, he's been at the Ploughing Fest yesterday and today, and he is almost hysterical, shouting and ranting and talking nonsense. I'm guessing he's nervous broadcasting in front of a live audience, but it's very difficult to listen to (not that he isn't difficult to listen to at the best of times!)

Robert2012 wrote: »
    I wish somebody would tell George Hook to calm down, he's been at the Ploughing Fest yesterday and today, and he is almost hysterical, shouting and ranting and talking nonsense. I'm guessing he's nervous broadcasting in front of a live audience, but it's very difficult to listen to (not that he isn't difficult to listen to at the best of times!)

Why is Newstalk so fascinated by the Ploughing Championship? Every programme from The Breakfast Show onwards has had a live OB from there today. I'll be glad to see the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why is Newstalk so fascinated by the Ploughing Championship? Every programme from The Breakfast Show onwards has had a live OB from there today. I'll be glad to see the back of it.

Publicity,sponsorship,advertising revenue.Think they also have a thing about being inclusive to areas outside Dublin.

kneemos wrote: »
    Publicity,sponsorship,advertising revenue.Think they also have a thing about being inclusive to areas outside Dublin.

It's true, Newstalk seem to think having the Lunchtime show presented from a shoebox in Cork City Centre and a week at the Ploughing Match every year keeps them down with the Culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

Michael Clifford said tonight that while Tom Dunne starts next week, new Marc Coleman current affairs show starting on sunday nights.

Skid X wrote: »
    It's true, Newstalk seem to think having the Lunchtime show presented from a shoebox in Cork City Centre and a week at the Ploughing Match every year keeps them down with the Culchies.

But broadcasting from Dublin makes sure they are down with the "west brit junkie stabbing urbanites"? See? Stereotypes don't sound nice do they? Radio forum is littered with culchie references and not in a nice way.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    But broadcasting from Dublin makes sure they are down with the "west brit junkie stabbing urbanites"? See? Stereotypes don't sound nice do they? Radio forum is littered with culchie references and not in a nice way.

I'm a Culchie, so are most of my friends. None of us get offended by the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To be fair, broadcasting from the Ploughing makes a hell of a lot more sense than the majority of OBs NT do. Better exposure and voxpops for the station than, say, a G. Hook broadcast from a hotel foyer in the States...

Skid X wrote: »
    I'm a Culchie, so are most of my friends. None of use get offended by the term.

How could you not? It doesn't suggest anything positive. Other posters complaining about the "culchiefest" coverage on newstalk. It's sneering and unfortunately crops up all too often.
    To be honest it fecking winds me up. :-(

seachto7 wrote: »
    How could you not? It doesn't suggest anything positive. Other posters complaining about the "culchiefest" coverage on newstalk. It's sneering and unfortunately crops up all too often.
    To be honest it fecking winds me up. :-(

All I can say is I meant no malice, and I reckon most other people would say the same. It's meant as light hearted banter, not an insult.

Most Dubs aren't too far removed from the Country, from my experience. They nearly all have relations from outside the Pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

ok folks call it a truce and move on. I don't think Skid X meant to offend anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nice to hear Tom Dunne again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

What happens now with Orla Barry and Fionn Davenport? I quite enjoyed Davenports show when I occasionally caught it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

kneemos wrote: »
    Nice to hear Tom Dunne again.

ya think? my hand slapping the buttons to change channel in the car was like some kind of reflex similar to when a wasp goes near your head, your flapping trying to get it away before you even realise it.

dixierip wrote: »
    What happens now with Orla Barry and Fionn Davenport? I quite enjoyed Davenports show when I occasionally caught it.

No news about them as of yet. Newstalk is supposed to be changing it's weekend line-up(new Norah Casey show..etc), but nothing has been announce. Maybe they will end up there somewhere. Fionn is doing recorded pieces for Pat Kenny's show, that could be in place of Davenport after Dark.

FFS there's some middleclass PC shyte being spouted on davenport after dark tonight.

It's rare I turn a program off in disgust but they managed it twice . Once to go to the late debate when I got sick of them mewling about Arthurs day , and second when I turned back once that was over to hear some ... tell us EVERY woman she knows has been abused by men ( abused of course meaning ANYTHING. That might upset them including a normal arguement any two people could have )

Thank Christ he started the show saying it got canned .

Good riddence .it takes A LOT to get me to put up with pat rabbitte but they managed it .

A greater concentration of self hating I've never seen

and second when I turned back once that was over to hear some feminazi tell us EVERY woman she knows has been abused by men

Thank Christ he started the show saying it got canned .

Good riddence .it takes A LOT to get me to put up with pat rabbitte but they managed it .

A greater concentration of self hating I've never seen

That would be Una Mullally. I switch her off too. Of course she would say we only did that because we are men and had absolutely nothing to do with how utterly annoying she was.

bbability wrote: »
    ok folks call it a truce and move on. I don't think Skid X meant to offend anyone.

Apologies all. Got wound up with the hooch. I still don't really like the word but will live with it! :'(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jonathon Healy's bubble has burst.

He is clutching at straws in an effort to overplay the negative effects of Arthur's Day but not getting the responses he was hoping for.

The Diageo rep was dead right to snub the programme and hit the nail on the head by describing Healy's stunt as a media circus.

Get over it Healy. Thousands of people went out last night and enjoyed themselves. I was one of them.

Any chance of some real news.

Hilarious wasn't it - Healy clearly likes to think he is the real life Howard Beale, when he is clearly channelling Kent Brockman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

No news about them as of yet. Newstalk is supposed to be changing it's weekend line-up(new Norah Casey show..etc), but nothing has been announce. Maybe they will end up there somewhere. Fionn is doing recorded pieces for Pat Kenny's show, that could be in place of Davenport after Dark.

Not Norah Casey again on another radio show???. I thought she was brutal on the morning show with Chris Donoghue, her interviews were dour, no real interaction with other hosts and journalists. To be honest i dont see what giving her a radio slot will do, based on her past record.

I actually liked Fioon Davenports "After Dark" programme. Think its a pity its getting axed, had a very good mix of arts, debate and current/social affairs which made it a great show to listen to. The heads at Newstalk should look at setting up a similar type of programme in the near future

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement