Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lapin wrote: »
    Jonathon Healy's bubble has burst.

He is clutching at straws in an effort to overplay the negative effects of Arthur's Day but not getting the responses he was hoping for.

The Diageo rep was dead right to snub the programme and hit the nail on the head by describing Healy's stunt as a media circus.

Get over it Healy. Thousands of people went out last night and enjoyed themselves. I was one of them.

Any chance of some real news.

Yah it was unfortunate how he tried to sensationalise it , however I do think it is somewhat news.

A key point that got buried under the rest of his discussion was is it acceptable that we have the amount of people admitted on a Saturday night 5 to a and e.

Also how bad would or could it have been without all the negative pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He is clutching at straws in an effort to overplay the negative effects of Arthur's Day but not getting the responses he was hoping for.

The Diageo rep was dead right to snub the programme and hit the nail on the head by describing Healy's stunt as a media circus.

Get over it Healy. Thousands of people went out last night and enjoyed themselves. I was one of them.

shure didnt ya hear ?

its down to healy and co that nothing happened, apparently the whole country looked into its soul and followed his advice

the nutter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

+1 he's sounding patheitc at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I actually liked Fioon Davenports "After Dark" programme. Think its a pity its getting axed, had a very good mix of arts, debate and current/social affairs which made it a great show to listen to. The heads at Newstalk should look at setting up a similar type of programme in the near future

I liked it too. I'll miss Kieran Cuddihy most, good intelligent banter from that chap. And Fionns "the story of..." bits were very good as well.

So whats the deal now after 10 on the station. Tom Dunne every night is it? Scratch that, just seen the thread below on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Absolutely Lapin.. he was trying to spin it every way to save face.... "eh, you'd wonder why he DIDNT go in to the A&E, then he would have been able to come in here today and say that things werent that bad"... following by more straw clutching... "Was it because of the focus on Arthur's Day in the media that people didnt drink as much".... Awful stuff from Healy, who I used to be a big fan of... But his sanctimonious Bart's People type reporting and cynical left wing agenda is overbearing for the last few weeks... He almost makes Eamonn Keane seem right wing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

But he is broadcasting from Cork.....

..... That is, after all the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,188 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Not Norah Casey again on another radio show???. I thought she was brutal on the morning show with Chris Donoghue, her interviews were dour, no real interaction with other hosts and journalists. To be honest i dont see what giving her a radio slot will do, based on her past record.

I actually liked Fioon Davenports "After Dark" programme. Think its a pity its getting axed, had a very good mix of arts, debate and current/social affairs which made it a great show to listen to. The heads at Newstalk should look at setting up a similar type of programme in the near future

Agree they need to keep her off the airways that goes for the other Dragon Bobby Kerr! maybe they can put her on with Dill Vickram as they both like talking about themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Newstalk has a cough button? Why doesn't Marc Coleman know about this?

I dont agree with Aodhan O'Riordan's politics, but I like that bit of fire that he has in him.. He's giving Jonathan Healy a good dressing down at the moment, and it's about time somebody did.

• Advertisement

Jonathan Healy is starting to annoy me more and more, think he is trying to remain important with Pat Kenny into his timeslot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Jonathan Healy is starting to annoy me more and more, think he is trying to remain important with Pat Kenny into his timeslot.

Jonathan Healy has always been incapable of covering a story or interviewing someone without trying to sensationalise it. Added to that his little unfunny remarks and fake laugh every now and then and you've got one annoying radio presenter.

Very hard to listen to Willie O'Dea .. "What people are saying to me about the referendum is that they dont trust Enda Kenny because he's not prepared to come out and debate it"... I frankly dont believe him, and given his history of telling lies I find it hard it to believe anything he says any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Healy yesterday told the Money Doctor lad, twice in the space of about a minute, "Don't be so silly!".

If it had been me, the second time he'd have been told to take a runnin' jump for himself.

A patronising bleeding heart of the first rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I think Johnathan really has his nose out of joint since PK arrived. He probably thinks he is in the same league and doesn't like all the fuss with the new arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Healy probably thought well if we're having a "Today with" type programme why not choose me and has been narked ever since, esp as one third of his Cork empire has been lost to Dublin.

• Advertisement

I think Liveline should pay for Larry to have a lobotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Jonathan Healy uses the 12 o'clock news bulletin to promote his show....it's supposed to be the news at 12....whatever he's FIRST with, you can count me out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Jonathan Healy has always been incapable of covering a story or interviewing someone without trying to sensationalise it. Added to that his little unfunny remarks and fake laugh every now and then and you've got one annoying radio presenter.

That'd be the Sky News background....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I'd be quite disappointed to visit to a website called RateMyTeachers and to find it only has info about their Teaching abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

Norah Casey brings ‘Mindfood’ to Newstalk

New weekend schedule includes ‘Best of Pat Kenny’ and ‘Coleman at Large’

Thu, Oct 3, 2013, 01:00

by Laura Slattery, Irish Times

Norah Casey will present an hour-long magazine show called Mindfood on Newstalk on Sundays from 10am, as part of the Communicorp station’s new weekend schedule. Casey’s show, which was flagged in June when she stepped down from hosting Newstalk Breakfast, will be “a mix of the topical stories of the week, light entertainment features and big name guests”, according to the station.
    Newstalk’s new weekend schedule, which comes into effect this Saturday, also sees the introduction of The Best of Pat Kenny, a compendium of highlights from its big signing’s weekday show. It will air on Saturdays at 9am.
    The knock-on effect of Kenny’s arrival is also in evidence elsewhere in the new schedule. With former mid-morning presenter Tom Dunne being moved to the 10pm slot on weekdays, some Newstalk evening programmes have had to be shifted to the weekend.
    Marc Coleman’s Coleman at Large show, “where brainless consensus is broken and waffling is exposed in a no holds barred debate”, will go out on Sunday evenings in a three-hour show from 9pm. The economist previously presented a two-hour show on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
    The Green Room with Orla Barry will now deliver its mix of arts, culture and entertainment on Saturday evenings rather than Mondays, while Susan Cahill presents a new book show Talking Books for early risers (it has a 7am Sunday slot).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I'm glad the Green Room is being kept. Talking Books was decent enough when it was on over the summer. No more "Best" of Hooky and only an hour of Norah Casey are pluses. I suppose it's too much to hope that we have heard the last Henry's Beneath the Covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I see they're still calling Coleman an economist.About that...

41Lj93UNffL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

"Mindfood"..., probably from the genius who brought you "Fardy's Cultural Toolbox"!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Fardy and Hook talkin' philosophy (on Newstalk they don't use the 'g', especially on Off the Ball) will take some beating....and George's pronunciation of Socrates will live long in the memory....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

delaad wrote: »
    "Mindfood"..., probably from the genius who brought us "Fardy's Cultural Toolbox"!

More like brainfart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone else not hearing Newstalk on UPC this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

where brainless consensus is broken and waffling is exposed in a no holds barred debate

Snigger.
    Are they referring to Coleman himself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I see they're still calling Coleman an economist.About that...

41Lj93UNffL._SS500_.jpg

the mans an idiot, nothing more nothing less:(

In 2007 he published The Best is Yet to Come. The book forecast the continued growth in the Irish economy as well as a sustainable construction Industry for the years ahead. As of 2011, Ireland was in deep recession with the virtual collapse of the construction Industry, rising unemployment and zero growth rate throughout the economy. On his late night talk show, "Coleman at Large", he has repeatedly stated that his predictions are still valid and that he is looking forward to 2020. He has not expanded on this opinion. Late in 2009, Coleman published "Back from the Brink" in which Coleman prescribed policies that he argued would accelerate economic recovery in Ireland and the world, largely identical with the policies he had advocated before the economic collapse. One of these policies included multi-generational mortgages as a way to spread Ireland's debt burden over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

music every night of the week really is a load of cr@p

Finlay has terrible condescending tone about him... It's like he knows everything, and somebody has given him the burdensome task of having to explain it to people less clever than him... I guess that's why he's on the big bucks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

music every night of the week really is a load of cr@p

its a load of **** - i thought the station was called news talk?

Hold on to your hats everybody, Newstalk's Syl Fox... John Drennon will be appearing after the break.... Waka Waka..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

When did Ivan Yates come back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When did Ivan Yates come back?

month ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I thought the doctor woman on with Hook /McIntyre today was pretty good.

Much better that Tara Duggan

the minute I heard that waste of space Amanda Brunker on Moncrieff I turned him off, I don't know why they continue to have her on! It's another reason why I'll never buy the Sunday World! Keep the ignorant Moo off the Radio!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I thought the doctor woman on with Hook /McIntyre today was pretty good.

Much better that Tara Duggan

That's Dr Ciara Kelly.

Yeah I quite like her myself too. If the Friday Right Hook panel consisted of herself, George Hook, and Shane Coleman it would be much better.

Even though I don't feel as much animosity towards Dave McIntyre when compared to others on Boards, there is something about him that I just can't take to fully. Give me Shane over him any day.

I thought the doctor woman on with Hook /McIntyre today was pretty good. Much better that Tara Duggan

I still refer to those weeks as "The Emergency"... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Voice over girl is doing my head in these days, as well as every ad she also introduces The Pat Kenny Show on Noostalk.

Get a man with an Irish accent to read the lines FFS. It actually makes me turn the dial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Voice over girl is doing my head in these days, as well as every ad she also introduces The Pat Kenny Show on Noostalk.

Get a man with an Irish accent to read the lines FFS. It actually makes me turn the dial.
    Yes. The crappy holdover from the C****c T***r years. The awful forced, monotonous AA Roadwatch accent. I zap it every time I can anticipate it.

Why does the broadcast meeja feel the need to project these shouty irritating ditsy speaking styles? It's like the Children's Channel. Disnay on Ice.

"Fianna Gael has been left soul searching this morning after the Seanad referendum"

Is Jonathan Healy writing the headlines for the Newstalk news department now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

"Fianna Gael has been left soul searching this morning after the Seanad referendum"

Is Jonathan Healy writing the headlines for the Newstalk news department now?

Denis o brien id imagine, don't think the editorial team have much of a say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is John Fardy an expert on everything? He bugs the shyte out of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Have Jim Glennon and George Hook fallen out?

Jim used to always be on the Friday Right Hook but no more. Also today Jim was on talking a bit about the Leinster Munster match and was calling Hook names for suggesting Matt O'Connor should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Is John Fardy an expert on everything? He bugs the shyte out of me.

Him and Stephen Benedict, "The Man in the Red Velvet Chair".

They strike me as the kind of lads who aren't happy to let good things be, they have to take them apart and analyze the bejaysus out of them. They'd knock the craic out of anything. Fair enough, they're deep thinkers an' all, but there comes a time when you've gone too far, my friend, and disappeared up the realm of your own backside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the woman on Moncrief got her facts wrong, the killer hornet stings and doesnt bite, its stinger is the size of a human thumb not its body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I listened to Norah Caseys new show yesterday.Hmmmmm, I think the jingles are terrible.Not great I thought overall.I wonder when Chris will be joining her :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

jimmyw wrote: »
    I listened to Norah Caseys new show yesterday.Hmmmmm, I think the jingles are terrible.Not great I thought overall.I wonder when Chris will be joining her :p

Did she mention she was a nurse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Did she mention she was a nurse?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont remember, but it could have been deleted from my brain possibly:).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement