Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

jimmyw wrote: »
    I listened to Norah Caseys new show yesterday.Hmmmmm, I think the jingles are terrible.Not great I thought overall.I wonder when Chris will be joining her :p

Chris won't be joining her. Casey was simply appalling on Breakfast. Chris is fine now that himself and Yates have found some equilibrium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Chris and Yates are a good double act. Chris gets far too much stick on these pages, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Chris and Yates are a good double act. Chris gets far too much stick on these pages, in my opinion.

I always thought that too. I've never really had any problems with him tbh.

However, I do find that Ivan just comes across as a condescending twat sometimes.

I'm not liking their new quiz shíte on Fridays very much though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

McDave wrote: »
    Chris won't be joining her. Casey was simply appalling on Breakfast. Chris is fine now that himself and Yates have found some equilibrium.

Really? I thought Chris himself mentioned it a few months ago.Maybe he was kidding (Bloody American speak) codding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I presume they've given up in satellite reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Jonathan Healy's show - my God it's awful. What is the point if it? Is it current affairs? Human interest? Was listening to him interview that poor lady living in the ghost estate in Longford. His fake solemnity and leading questions made for unbearable listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Jonathan Healy's show - my God it's awful. What is the point if it? Is it current affairs? Human interest? Was listening to him interview that poor lady living in the ghost estate in Longford. His fake solemnity and leading questions made for unbearable listening.
    No more than the John Murray show, the lunchtime news show is now in a difficult position. Any heavy stories will have been covered by Pat, any light fluff goes to Sean - so what to do?

Pick through whatever's left is what ...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

serfboard wrote: »
    No more than the John Murray show, the lunchtime news show is now in a difficult position. Any heavy stories will have been covered by Pat, any light fluff goes to Sean - so what to do?

Pick through whatever's left is what ...

Yeah true, I suppose. I think it's Healy's presentation style that is rankling me so much... that sighing, empathetic tone he puts on when he's wringing some poor unfortunate for details about their miserable lives.

Kenny, the old pro, really shows up Healy's shortcomings.

He's the radio equivalent of The Irish Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

There's definitely a touch of Independent News and Media in there also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Jaysus. Just saw an ad for it and was reminded...

On Hook's 'technology slot' on Monday, the guy from Futureproof was talking about a new phone that is waterproof to a certain depth. As in, you can use it underwater.

Yer one Jessica eagerly jumps in to tell us that it's important to note that it's not just waterproof, it's also water resistant, so if you get out of the pool with wet hands, you can still use it without fear of water from your hands 'getting in to the screen'...

I think the appropriate acronym is 'FFS'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Jaysus. Just saw an ad for it and was reminded...

On Hook's 'technology slot' on Monday, the guy from Futureproof was talking about a new phone that is waterproof to a certain depth. As in, you can use it underwater.

Yer one Jessica eagerly jumps in to tell us that it's important to note that it's not just waterproof, it's also water resistant, so if you get out of the pool with wet hands, you can still use it without fear of water from your hands 'getting in to the screen'...

I think the appropriate acronym is 'FFS'.

She seems to do stuff like that allot but i mean you got to look at it this way she is the sugar they put into that slot to translate stuff to George.

I would prefer it if he didnt stop the program the whole time with his usual "holdthewhile there, im old, explain it to me" spiel, it also be nice if the technology wasnt a dummies guide but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What you guys think of Tom Dunnes new slot? i think it works and i like it as he gets to focus on music which he has a passion for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would prefer it if he didnt stop the program the whole time with his usual "holdthewhile there, im old, explain it to me" spiel, it also be nice if the technology wasnt a dummies guide but what can you do.

Trying to describe the dimensions of his new phone on Monday he asked slowly and earnestly: "Y'know...a a bar of chocolate?"
    Of course Jess is far to nice to reply "I am familiar with the concept George."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

What you guys think of Tom Dunnes new slot? i think it works and i like it as he gets to focus on music which he has a passion for.

It's grand but what its doing on a station called Newstalk is beyond me. bad an all as Coleman at Large was at least it fit in with the original remit of the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Here's Jonathan Healy in his previous job.

No doubt Healy's response would be... "If I'm guilty, maybe I'm guilty of caring too much. I'm Jonathan Healy".. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Saw a new (bus stop) ad this morning for Newstalk. It was the same as PKs one ("Move The Dial") but it had Jonathon Healy's face on it. Fair enough for Pat he's a household name (and face) but I can imagine a lot of people thinking "who's yer man?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

awfull TBH.

Ive taken to listening to the late debate now instead when its on and skipping through the music parts on toms podcast to listen to the stuff im interested in the next day/later in the week .ie the stuart carolman interview (didnt know he worked for todayfm for instance and wrote the navan man sketches. that explains the dark humour in love/hate)

im sure itll have its audience but it aint me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Saw a new (bus stop) ad this morning for Newstalk. It was the same as PKs one ("Move The Dial") but it had Jonathon Healy's face on it. Fair enough for Pat he's a household name (and face) but I can imagine a lot of people thinking "who's yer man?"

moncrieff mentioned last week that they're all doing ads for newstalk along those lines

• Advertisement

moncrieff mentioned last week that they're all doing ads for newstalk along those lines

I'm guessing Moncreiff's will be "A man in Peru made love to a chicken.... bold sh1te talk on Moncreiff"...

henry mckean must be out asking people if the dole is enough today. can't wait for this and the hilarity that ensues

https://twitter.com/SeanMoncrieff/status/387914817568112640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Am I the only one wondering how exactly I use a phone underwater and in what specific purposes this might be useful??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Am I the only one wondering how exactly I use a phone underwater and in what specific purposes this might be useful??

Jack's proof is the only benefit I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dont know much on the subject but apparently dropping phones down the jax is one of the leading cause of damage to em.

what people are DOING with em is another question !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The ad I saw featured a guy taking a picture of a fish with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Holy God, Dil is wearing a pin stripe jacket, jumper and tie on newstalk tv. Is Louis Copeland her BFF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was wondering what was happening when I saw one for George Hook today - the tagline 'Move The Dial' doesn't make much sense for the established Newstalk presenters.

Although Jonathan Healy will be glad of any publicity - his tiny studio in Cork has a huge picture of Hook on the door (and a much smaller one of Healy).

Holy God, Dil is wearing a pin stripe jacket, jumper and tie on newstalk tv. Is Louis Copeland her BFF?

Dil didn't seem too happy that Hook doesn't know what day her programme is on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The Newstalk ads are all over the place, saw ones for Hook, Healy, Kenny and Breakfast on the way into college today. I suppose it only makes sense that they'd try to use Kenny to build up the other shows on the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dil didn't seem too happy that Hook doesn't know what day her programme is on :D

Ha - That racist, sexist, everything else-est fecker just went up in my estimation! :D

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    I was wondering what was happening when I saw one for George Hook today - the tagline 'Move The Dial' doesn't make much sense for the established Newstalk presenters.

Although Jonathan Healy will be glad of any publicity - his tiny studio in Cork has a huge picture of Hook on the door (and a much smaller one of Healy).

It makes a telephone box look spacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

You're missing the point!!! It doesn't matter what size it is, it's in CORK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm in Laois and the signal is on/off/on/off/on/off for the last few days, anyone else have this problem ?

I'm in Laois and the signal is on/off/on/off/on/off for the last few days, anyone else have this problem ?

Same in South Kildare on 105.8FM
    An outage of 5 minutes or so there a while back.

Gone again.. at the end of the interview with Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Hopefully still gone while Healy was on the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Are you calling Louis Copelands clothing racist???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 salsal

Im warming to Ivan on brekkie

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

When did Ivan Yates come back to Newstalk?

When did Ivan Yates come back to Newstalk?

A few weeks ago.. He served his time in the UK with the bankruptcy and came back to work pretty shortly after. I like Ivan. Didnt much fall for his "alone and drunk in a lonely bedsit in the UK" routine ... not with the state pension he was receiving. But he's a good broadcaster and it's great for the station that he's back..

• Advertisement

I didn't like their "Have I Got News For You"-style quiz this morning. Fell a bit flat on its face.

looking forward to germany getting a thrashing tonight now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anybody who wants a bit of a laugh should listen to the Sean Moncrieff interview with Uri Geller (on after the 3pm news today). Fair play to both of them, excellent radio.

I didn't like their "Have I Got News For You"-style quiz this morning. Fell a bit flat on its face.

+1 on that !

Loving the Q Tip this eveing, defo playing that at my next house gig :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Loving the Q Tip this eveing, defo playing that at my next house gig :)

I was just thinking they should get rid of the q-tip, fact of the day Henry's slot and never have Amanda Brunker as guest and it would be a brilliant show!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I was just thinking they should get rid of the q-tip, fact of the day Henry's slot and never have Amanda Brunker as guest and it would be a brilliant show!

Ah come on!! What the hell is wrong with Fact of the Day?? And even if some don't like it, it lasts for all of 10 seconds anyway. You can hardly hold something that only lasts a few seconds against them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Uri owes me a lot of money :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah come on!! What the hell is wrong with Fact of the Day?? And even if some don't like it, it lasts for all of 10 seconds anyway. You can hardly hold something that only lasts a few seconds against them.

maybe it's the stupid music, maybe it's the stupid girl voice over the stupid music, just doesn't fit in with the show! Sean sounds embarrassed reading it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody hell, two maiden aunts seem to have got the run of the station this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement