Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, two maiden aunts seem to have got the run of the station this morning.

I was doing a bit of painting and had the radio left on Marian, which was dull as dishwater. Is the show worth podcasting, Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope! I can hardly remember a thing about it already and I switched to Today FM for some argument about the English language. The bit above was my reaction to some musing as to whether people were better off in the 50s due to lack aspiration. The 50s was a great era if you were a priest or a rich bully. That's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I was doing a bit of painting and had the radio left on Marian, which was dull as dishwater. Is the show worth podcasting, Mike?

How is that light switch looking?

How is that light switch looking?

lol... Dont go there!!!
    I tried the "rub the tape along your leg before applying" trick... Top and bottom section were nearly perfect when I pulled the tape off... Went to pull off the tape on the left side and it nearly took the whole wall with it..:mad: I'm gonna give that side one more go, if that doesnt work I'm just gonna paint the wall... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Wilberto wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with Fact of the Day??
    I don't think it's any great addition either, but my impression is that it's something that they're begging some sponsor to take over.

"Fact of the day - in association with ... " is my guess as to where they're trying to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

George missing again today

Healy doing his best to put words in this woman's mouth... He's so predictable.

Healy doing his best to put words in this woman's mouth... He's so predictable.

Youll notice he will never have he's fianna fail buddy jim glennon on after stories like this. He would hate to have to ask he's cumann buddy does he feel any responsibility for being part of a government that caused this misery for people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

chris truly believing he's had a Woodward and Bernstein moment questioning ministers yesterday re the budget...in reality he was shot down, dismissed and told to stfu. I really wish he would just feck off...so out of his depth, so untalented, so inept, so dickhead.

chris truly believing he's had a Woodward and Bernstein moment questioning ministers yesterday re the budget...in reality he was shot down, dismissed and told to stfu. I really wish he would just feck off...so out of his depth, so untalented, so inept, so dickhead.

I think he would be fine on a Saturday afternon show on 2 fm or something, he just doesn't have the life experience to be hosting a breakfast show.

Plus the fact it takes him 5 mins to ask a question because he has to go all around the houses before he can spit it out. It is really annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

"I was talking to a senior Fine Gael head" has become a familiar refrain of Chris's nearly every fecking morning!
    He's a a serious player at the highest level alright.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

He's be more suited to a kids show on 2fm or some such rubbish. The guy is clueless and seems to go out of his way to avoid asking the tough questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Wow, another American on the Moncrieff show. That's strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Said it before - he must have pics of Denis O'Brien because there is no other explanation for him still being on the air.

He is INCAPABLE of getting through any segment, news piece whatever, without messing up what he is attempting to say.

Try not to retain memory of his butchery of language usually but for an example he was there today saying the teachers were boycotting after hours parent meetings - so that means meetings in "the school hour" :confused:

He also got giddy over Ivan saying "stunt double" this morning, wrongly implying that Ivan nearly said the c word.

I said the c word aloud at that point myself actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Had a listen to Tom Dunne show last night listened to the whole two hours and have to say it works, he did a great interview with Paddy McAloon from Prefab Sprout. I think he is better suited to this format just hope he gets the listeners to keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Had a listen to Tom Dunne show last night listened to the whole two hours and have to say it works, he did a great interview with Paddy McAloon from Prefab Sprout. I think he is better suited to this format just hope he gets the listeners to keep going.

Hard to believe RTE haven't signed him up.Fanning's show sounds like a pre-recorded filler these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

I think the show is good, but not for NewsTALK.

I tuned in periodically over the last week/10 days and everytime I did he was going on about Paddy McAloon and Prefab Sprout: was it a dedicated Prefab Sprout week? Channel hopped on 3 different nights and he was playing his tunes.

This is the show for Tom Dunne alright. It's just the wrong station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I tuned in periodically over the last week/10 days and everytime I did he was going on about Paddy McAloon and Prefab Sprout: was it a dedicated Prefab Sprout week? Channel hopped on 3 different nights and he was playing his tunes.

or just rename the station PrefabSproutTALK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

That full time Carer, who has been on the radio a few times, must be Healys go-to replacement for John McCarthy of Mad Pride Ireland.

That full time Carer, who has been on the radio a few times, must be Healys go-to replacement for John McCarthy of Mad Pride Ireland.

Could he/she not just replace the sensationalist turd that is Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah Just he has a new brilliant album out and Tom & Audrey are big fans I noted whenever it's Audrey's birthday he play's a Sprout's track for her.

I agree, I think late night on RTE might suite him better then Newstalk, but can't see him leaving Newstalk unless he get's pushed out. Anyway we need to support Tom by continuing to listen to the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Ah Just he has a new brilliant album out and Tom & Audrey are big fans I noted whenever it's Audrey's birthday he play's a Sprout's track for her.

I agree, I think late night on RTE might suite him better then Newstalk, but can't see him leaving Newstalk unless he get's pushed out. Anyway we need to support Tom by continuing to listen to the show!

Amen to that, Mr Plisken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ivan talking about "the coil and the cap" during the vasectomy piece has conjured up images which will require a lot of erasing...

Chris this morning: " A 41 year old father of 2 will appear at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station at 10.30 am charged with the murder of child care worker Elaine O'Mara"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Poor man from the HSE was fearing that Healy would challenge him to come along to a A&E ward to see some elderly patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

does jean smullen really think that visitors to ireland won't return because the price of wine in a restaurant has gone up by a few cents?? she's no craic at all for a friday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

does jean smullen really think that visitors to ireland won't return because the price of wine in a restaurant has gone up by a few cents?? she's no craic at all for a friday afternoon.

She's a pain, going on about Spain not putting tax on wine and how great they are...........eh Spain are broke, perhaps they should put tax the wine !!!

I'm amazing she even went to Spain to rate the wine seeing as she is paid to promote wine from Chile !!!!

oh ffs, who's this Tara Duggan substitute..... And Bobby Kerr, and man who should never have never been let anywhere near a microphone.. Newstalk, either have the Friday show with Hook, Coleman and McIntyre or dont fkn bother.

oh ffs, who's this Tara Duggan substitute..... And Bobby Kerr, and man who should never have never been let anywhere near a microphone.. Newstalk, either have the Friday show with Hook, Coleman and McIntyre or dont fkn bother.

Dr.Kiera Kelly I think.Quite good I thought.
    Bobby is Bobby though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

kneemos wrote: »
    Dr.Kiera Kelly I think.Quite good I thought.
    Bobby is Bobby though.

Is that how it's spelt?? I've never seen it written down so I always spelt it "Ciara". :D

I don't see anything wrong with her though. In fact, she's arguably better than both Bobby Kerr and Dave McIntyre put together. Although that's the same as saying she's better than McIntyre such is the lack of quality that Kerr brings to the panel.

In fact, I thought she challenged that American fellow quite well. He was talking a lot of guff and only gave an example after he was pressed to do so by her good self.

I'd like to see her replace Dave McIntyre as a full time "Friday Right Hook" panellist although that may not be feasible with her presumably busy schedule.

Is that how it's spelt?? I've never seen it written down so I always spelt it "Ciara". :D

I don't see anything wrong with her though. In fact, she's arguably better than both Bobby Kerr and Dave McIntyre put together. Although that's the same as saying she's better than McIntyre such is the lack of quality that Kerr brings to the panel.

In fact, I thought she challenged that American fellow quite well. He was talking a lot of guff and only gave an example after he was pressed to do so by her good self.

I'd like to see her replace Dave McIntyre as a full time "Friday Right Hook" panellist although that may not be feasible with her presumably busy schedule.

One of those names with numerous spellings.Keira Knightly spells it ke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Tara Duggan is only rarely on it, Dr Ciara Kelly is on it more regularly than her.I think she is grand on it, far better than than them other two, especially that Coleman who I find annoying for some reason I cant put my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

The consensus seems to be that it's great to have Ivan back .... I think he's getting more like Victor Meldrew every day...all he's short of is the 'I don't believe it' line...also his jokes about being bankrupt are very hard to take when it's my taxes paying for his minister's pension...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Robdundalk wrote: »
    The consensus seems to be that it's great to have Ivan back .... I think he's getting more like Victor Meldrew every day...all he's short of is the 'I don't believe it' line...also his jokes about being bankrupt are very hard to take when it's my taxes paying for his minister's pension...

To be honest, and I'm almost to afraid to mention this around the "Anti-Chris" crowd around here, I'm finding it quite hard to take to Ivan. Ivan's forced banter and constant condescending attitude towards Chris is growing more and more tiresome every day.

What's extremely worrying though is that Newstalk seem to want to promote this "rivalry" between the two, hence the "Friday Quiz" between "Team Ivan" and "Team Chris". It almost seems like a good idea, but they have somehow completely ruined it. I just don't think it works at all!

Anyway, give me Chris and Shane Coleman any time. At least they could actually present the show without each of them trying to score points against their co-presenter. Although, my guess is that Shane Coleman is being lined up for George's replacement (not that you have to be a genius to spot that!!).

To be honest, and I'm almost to afraid to mention this around the "Anti-Chris" crowd around here, I'm finding it quite hard to take to Ivan. Ivan's forced banter and constant condescending attitude towards Chris is growing more and more tiresome every day.

What's extremely worrying though is that Newstalk seem to want to promote this "rivalry" between the two, hence the "Friday Quiz" between "Team Ivan" and "Team Chris". It almost seems like a good idea, but they have somehow completely ruined it. I just don't think it works at all!

Anyway, give me Chris and Shane Coleman any time. At least they could actually present the show without each of them trying to score points against their co-presenter. Although, my guess is that Shane Coleman is being lined up for George's replacement (not that you have to be a genius to spot that!!).

That means nothing. You could get a couple of transition year students who could read out the newspaper headlines and shoot questions from a producers list Chris style with the guest's answers going in one ear and out the other.

Ivan's unique style differentiates the show from MI, the abuse he directs at Chris is totally justified. Chris should be thanking Ivan actually - at least the patsy role gives him some purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    That means nothing. You could get a couple of transition year students who could read out the newspaper headlines and shoot questions from a producers list Chris style with the guest's answers going in one ear and out the other.

Ivan's unique style differentiates the show from MI, the abuse he directs at Chris is totally justified. Chris should be thanking Ivan actually - at least the patsy role gives him some purpose.
    Frankly I think that's a horrible attitude. Ivan has his strengths, including his personality and life experience. However he has his failings too, including his laddish slagging and casual sexism.

Chris certainly lacks life experience, but isn't even 30. He has a pleasant personality, a good attitude, and is a decent wingman.

It's obvious that someone had a word in Ivan's ear, because he's eased off on Chris, and the show is so much the better for it. I doubt Chris will ever lead the line on current affairs, but IMO he does have a reasonable future in broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think Chris has gotten much better over the past while. I used to find him pretty hard to listen to, but i have serious admiration for him, considering his age. I like Ivan too, the show is much better than it has been for a very long time.

The banter is pretty bad sometimes, bordering on uncomfortable, but i'd have to say it's the best morning show on the radio at the moment.

McDave wrote: »
    Frankly I think that's a horrible attitude. Ivan has his strengths, including his personality and life experience. However he has his failings too, including his laddish slagging and casual sexism.

Chris certainly lacks life experience, but isn't even 30. He has a pleasant personality, a good attitude, and is a decent wingman.

It's obvious that someone had a word in Ivan's ear, because he's eased off on Chris, and the show is so much the better for it. I doubt Chris will ever lead the line on current affairs, but IMO he does have a reasonable future in broadcasting.

I wouldn't agree that Chris has a good attitude or that he is happy to be wingman. Don't think he would agree with you on never taking the lead on serious current affairs either - I think that's exactly where he sees himself.

As for personality, what personality? His "insights" are informed by what he reads in the tabloids. Take any contemporary issue - I could tell you right now what Chris' position on the matter is. How? Because he will default to the politically correct every time.

I think the banter is only uncomfortable when Chris is attempting to slag Ivan calling him "Granny Yates" or "knacker" when his vocab fails him.

Ivan slagging Chris isn't uncomfortable at all.

Ivan is quick, Chris is dim - not to make the most of that dynamic would be such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well halfway through streaming the sunday show.

dear jesus, theres shameless, and theres the "shane coleman FF rehabilitaion hour" !

ya'd know who the brother in law is.

:D

• Advertisement

dear jesus, theres shameless, and theres the "shane coleman FF rehabilitaion hour" !

I can't listen to him anymore, aherne seems to have him brainwashed. Then again coleman was an editor of the independent, so being a fiaana fail man was a requisite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It was actually palpable. And quite creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

I've just listened to all of the first hour of Newstalk breakfast.
    I know it's probably not supposed to be, but it's hardly the Today Show on Radio 4, is it?

In the whole 7-8 am hour, they had just 2 guests on - Martin Wall of the Irish Times on the Health budget and a Greek journalist on that non-Roma child found in the Roma camp in Greece.
    That's it - in a whole hour.

The rest of the time was spent with Yates and the young fella riffing on the 'crisis' in Health and the political implications for Minitster Reilly, reading the papers and texts and the usual news/sport/traffic breaks.

Then, just before I get out of the car, audio from the 2 guests I just mentioned make up the 8 o'clock news, followed by Yeats starting the hour with the same Reilly/Health rant that led the first hour. That's it? Is that how it is all the time?

Expunge wrote: »
    I've just listened to all of the first hour of Newstalk breakfast.
    I know it's probably not supposed to be, but it's hardly the Today Show on Radio 4, is it?

In the whole 7-8 am hour, they had just 2 guests on - Martin Wall of the Irish Times on the Health budget and a Greek journalist on that non-Roma child found in the Roma camp in Greece.
    That's it - in a whole hour.

The rest of the time was spent with Yates and the young fella riffing on the 'crisis' in Health and the political implications for Minitster Reilly, reading the papers and texts and the usual news/sport/traffic breaks.

Then, just before I get out of the car, audio from the 2 guests I just mentioned make up the 8 o'clock news, followed by Yeats starting the hour with the same Reilly/Health rant that led the first hour. That's it? Is that how it is all the time?

Yip - radio for people too lazy to form their own opinions.

Chris casually described Strictly Come Dancing as "****e" this morning.

Is that really acceptable?

Serious question (no jokes about him being dead right about Strictly please)

I see the s word on my last post was auto edited out by boards.

Chris can say it on air, yet typing it here is unacceptable????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Pretty sure "shite" is acceptable. I remember reading somewhere that it was fine because it was "mild" or something. TBH, when used about a TV show I wouldn't really have a problem with it. The only issue I'd have is if he started casually swearing in interviews as some sort of shock-factor (looking at you Raymond...).

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Pretty sure "shite" is acceptable. I remember reading somewhere that it was fine because it was "mild" or something. TBH, when used about a TV show I wouldn't really have a problem with it. The only issue I'd have is if he started casually swearing in interviews as some sort of shock-factor (looking at you Raymond...).

Don't think it was said for shock value. His vocabulary is just so limited this is all he could think of to say to describe his feelings about that show.

Sean O'Rourke, Pat Kenny, Gavin Jennings - none of them would be so coarse on air. Listeners wouldn't tolerate it. Chris gets away with it for some reason though. Is it because he is pathetic, as in, people pity him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chris gets away with it for some reason though.
    It's because NewsTalk is a "yoof" station - or sees itself as one - so you have to "get down with the kids" and "speak their language".

Or some other rubbishy excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jonathon Healy is like a child on Christmas Eve with his questions on the minimum price for alcohol.

He really seems to think the move is going to eradicate alcoholism in this country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement