Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

I've heard Tom Dunne's new night-time show a few times now and I've reached a conclusion: it's good. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I actually really enjoyed the Breakfast Show this morning. Ivan and Chris and actually made me laugh out loud at one point with Chris slagging Ivan about how he loves James Blunt and Billy Joel and Ivan came back with "Yeah, James Blunt, Billy Joel and [deep voice] Megadeath!."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

anyone hear Keith Gillespie's interview on Off The Ball last night?

While I am fan of Ger and I think Off The Ball has made an easy transition since McDevitt and Co's departure, I'd even say its improved since they left with the absence increasing amount of self serving verbal w*nk from some of them....anyhow, this interview with Gillespie was the biggest pile of s*ite I've ever heard and some of the poorest radio journalism I've come across, I just finished Gillespies book and it was one of the most depressing books I've read, sure there was a good few drunken anecdotes which made you smirk, but the rest was just about him losing his bollix through gambling or schemes, getting banged up in the nick, broken marriages and relationships, fighting anyone and everyone and his career going down the tubes in general.

the interview last night didnt once mention if he was in recovery or how he was doing now and seemed to spend the majority of time laughing about a drunken incident outside cafe en seine where himself and alan shearer got in a barney and he ended up in hospital after smashing his head off a flower pot...ho ho ho, but we got drunk...was the most pathetic bit of 'oirish' journalism i've ever heard. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've heard Tom Dunne's new night-time show a few times now and I've reached a conclusion: it's good. Worth a listen.

What's Ed's opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Just an observation and might be mistaken but does anyone else think that Philip Molloy isn't best pleased with the Netflix sponsorship of his movie slot on Right Hook? The classic film slot used to consist of him sourcing a good print of a genuine classic whereas now it's whatever is old and available on the Netflix platform. Certainly doesn't sound like a man who is too enthusiastic about Escape from Alcatraz.......also notice his podcasts aren't kept up to date (to be fair they were never great at that part anyway) - fidn it difficult to listen to his show in the new slot but the listen back feature never worked for his show (possibly something to do with rights issues on the music?) While I'm not a big fan of his when he sits in for Hook I do like him when he is talking about film/tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone else listening to Newstalk via UPC right now and can only hear racing car noises?

Bobby Kerr this morning "we'll be talking to the man who owns the coolest coffee brand in the US....and it's not me"

He actually seemed to be serious when he said it. The mans a joke, the business is a flop which has repeated annual trading losses, it's an example of a business start up which would be laughed out of the bank these days but is very reflective of the time in which he started it. "I have a brilliant new business concept...its a, wait for it, drum roll....coffee shop! and its going to see muffins"...get your coat and walk through that door you fat baldy little b*llocks

(On a side note, and his "coolest coffee brand" reference, I always thought 'Insomnia' was a sh1t name for a coffee shop from the outset, trying to be sharp witted about its product and the franchise, just sounds sh1t. The coffee is nice though whatever about its failings in its business model but look no further than the gobsh1te at the helm and it's pretty clear where the root cause of their problems are...i'd seriously doubt he has any equity left in it though hence the day job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

He actually seemed to be serious when he said it. The mans a joke, the business is a flop which has repeated annual trading losses, it's an example of a business start up which would be laughed out of the bank these days but is very reflective of the time in which he started it. "I have a brilliant new business concept...its a, wait for it, drum roll....coffee shop! and its going to see muffins"...get your coat and walk through that door you fat baldy little b*llocks

It's okay. He's got "Earnest" and Young on his side :D

He is brutal alright.

Anytime he's on I can't listen for a second.

I quite enjoy the Friday Right Hook, I know some people hate the ramblings of the three lads, but I have to say I enjoy it. When Kerr is on it lets all the air out of the balloon for me.

He's the anti-Midas: everything he touches on the wireless turns to sh~t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

They seriously need to keep these so called "Dragon's Den" personalities well away from Newstalk, they are an instant channel changer when I hear Kerr or Casey's voices.

• Advertisement

These non-stop "Powering Kindness" drives on every show are really starting to grind my gears. And it only Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

Chris this morning talking about a newspaper article referring to a woman who was made to stay in the toilet on take off on a flight. Cant remember if he said London or England, but was basically,
    'So this woman was flying from London to Holland, London to Amsterdam, London to the Netherlands'
    Thats just dreadful.
    + Every time he says Saturday, or Twitter i want to kill my radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

I can't listen to him any longer...his confusion between hipsters and hippies last week was the final straw for me.... It's rare that one complete, coherent sentence leaves his lips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

These non-stop "Powering Kindness" drives on every show are really starting to grind my gears. And it only Tuesday!

I'd like to know how they can verify these stories. I could text in with any old bullsh!t and they’d read it out and say well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'd like to know how they can verify these stories. I could text in with any old bullsh!t and they’d read it out and say well done.

Moncrieff effectively said the same thing during the last one. He pretty much urged people to just make up good deeds and text them in as it's "all for a good cause in the end", and that by simply texting in is a good deed in itself as it's raising money for charity! ((Except he was clearly more amusing than myself :D))

Thing is though, does the subjectively chosen kindest good deed not win a prize for the person who sent it in?? I for one wouldn't be happy about losing a prize to on that was a complete work of fiction. That is, if I was even interested in the prize first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, it's everywhere on Newstalk at the moment.

The whole Powering Kindness thing is a bit dubious to me - ESB/Electric Ireland are giving away €100,000 to three charities (The €100,000 is fixed, but the competition is to decide who gets the biggest share). The charities are competing against each other to get the biggest share of the pot.

So if you pledge a good deed for Charity A, you are effectively reducing the chance of Charity B and Charity C getting a higher payout. I think it's in bad taste to be setting the charities against each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, it's everywhere on Newstalk at the moment.

The whole Powering Kindness thing is a bit dubious to me - ESB/Electric Ireland are giving away €100,000 to three charities (The €100,000 is fixed, but the competition is to decide who gets the biggest share). The charities are competing against each other to get the biggest share of the pot.

So if you pledge a good deed for Charity A, you are effectively reducing the chance of Charity B and Charity C getting a higher payout. I think it's in bad taste to be setting the charities against each other.

I'm inclined to disagree to be honest. Not only are they getting funds for their respective charities, but they are also getting free air time on national radio to advertise their charity.

Plus, with the whole 'competitive' issue, I see it as the charity which the listeners care about most are getting the larger portion of funds. I don't particularly see much wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

Robdundalk wrote: »
    I can't listen to him any longer...his confusion between hipsters and hippies last week was the final straw for me.... It's rare that one complete, coherent sentence leaves his lips...

That, and his 'banter' and calling his co presenters by their surnames
    'Yates , Yatesy, Yateser, Granny Yates, Casey'.
    I actually used to like him when he started, but he does my head in now.
    In fairness, he is still up there when pitted against Dave McIntyre, the miserable ****e.

They don't give a toss whether it's real or not tbh. It's all about getting as many people as possible to text in. I'd be interested to know if NT are donating the 30c/text to their respective charities...

Doesn't sit right with me either. I mean, how does one choose between pledging to Special Olympics or Cancer Research (sorry, I can't remember the third one off the top of my head but I'm sure it's equally as worthy). I mean, with cash you'd (at least I would) try and make a donation to all the charities I care about, but with this if you text in for Cancer Research it just feels as if you're saying "Cancer Research is more important than Special Olympics or the third one."

Just feels grimy to me.

• Advertisement

I don't see a problem - we all choose between charities. There are some we support and others we don't. None of them lose anyway, they'll be getting 20 odd grand. How bad?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if NT are donating the 30c/text to their respective charities...

This is something that really bothers me. It does appear that Newstalk are getting 30c every time someone makes a donation to one of there many charitable causes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Robdundalk wrote: »

Assuming you mean Chris, I agree.

His banter and segues are so bad he could sell them to broadcasting lecturers for use as examples of how not to communicate effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Hermy wrote: »
    This is something that really bothers me. It does appear that Newstalk are getting 30c every time someone makes a donation to one of there many charitable causes.

Someone's gotta keep Denis O'Brien in suncream.

I don't see a problem - we all choose between charities. There are some we support and others we don't. None of them lose anyway, they'll be getting 20 odd grand. How bad?

All other things being equal, If I make a pledge for the Special Olympics it reduces the chances of Childline or Breakthrough Cancer Research winning the top prize. It doesn't seem right to me.

It's just my take on it, you could argue that if no-one pledged anything Electric Ireland wouldn't run the competition next year no charity would benefit.

But the point raised after my post is a bigger issue - what are Newstalk donating to the fund out of their premium texts? Do the Newstalk texts even count towards the competition pledge totals?

https://www.newstalk.ie/competitions/370/

https://www.poweringkindness.ie/

what are Newstalk donating to the fund out of their premium texts?

Gunna stick me neck on the block here and say... feck all.

• Advertisement

Gunna stick me neck on the block here and say... feck all.

i'd go one further and speculate that they are making a fair bit of wedge on the whole charade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They said during the week that all the text money was going to the charitys!

Do people just bitch for the sake of bitching, while not even knowing the full facts of what there complaining about?

They said during the week that all the text money was going to the charitys!

not once did i hear mention of that myself
    Do people just bitch for the sake of bitching, while not even knowing the full facts of what there complaining about?

most of the time yep, i do anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

not once did i hear mention of that myself

That's why I made the comment - because I've never once heard them say what if any of the 30c per text is donated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hermy wrote: »
    That's why I made the comment - because I've never once heard them say what if any of the 30c per text is donated.

Heard MonCrief going on about it for ages during the show,not a word about donating the 30 cents.Seems pointless if their not donating it.
    Well out of order if their not.

• Advertisement

Doesn't sit right with me either. I mean, how does one choose between pledging to Special Olympics or Cancer Research (sorry, I can't remember the third one off the top of my head but I'm sure it's equally as worthy). I mean, with cash you'd (at least I would) try and make a donation to all the charities I care about, but with this if you text in for Cancer Research it just feels as if you're saying "Cancer Research is more important than Special Olympics or the third one."
    All other things being equal, If I make a pledge for the Special Olympics it reduces the chances of Childline or Breakthrough Cancer Research winning the top prize. It doesn't seem right to me.

Simple solution: Text in three times - one for each charity. At least that should remove any burden of guilt that may be on your shoulders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GJF

Sattttiday

Wilberto wrote: »
    Simple solution: Text in three times - one for each charity. At least that should remove any burden of guilt that may be on your shoulders. :D

Then you're not helping any of them. :P

Then you're not helping any of them. :P

But, you're giving them 30c each (apparently :P)!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

They don't give a toss whether it's real or not tbh. It's all about getting as many people as possible to text in. I'd be interested to know if NT are donating the 30c/text to their respective charities...

Just feels grimy to me.

Jesus guys - you have to find something better to complain about. This is about money being donated to charity. The competition element gives a bit of edge and banter to the whole thing and might even encourage listeners to text into their favourite radio show / for their favorite charity, which increases the fund money (seeing as how - as was mentioned frequently during the limited time I get to listen to Newstalk during the day - the entirety of the 30c text fee is also going to charity (listen at about 38.15 here)).

Nobody is saying that one charity is more deserving than others - in fact, the point has frequently been made on NT that these are all extremely worthwhile causes. And, if Electric Ireland gets some advertising in the process, I'm sure the charities won't begrudge them.

Sorry - but complaining about this kind of thing just pisses me off. Next time one of ye donate €100,000 plus whatever the text fees from Newstalk amount to (which I'm sure will be sizable) I just hope nobody has a go at you because, sure, you're only doing it for the tax relief.

the entirety of the 30c text fee is also going to charity

Really? including VAT? - If that's true why didn't they mention it on their website?

Really? including VAT? - If that's true why didn't they mention it on their website?

I can only go by what I hear - if you listen to the link I provided which states that the 30c text cost is being donated by NT to the charities, you'll know as much as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What is the story with the Hooke show slots these days?

The travel and 'essential songs' have rolling presenters each week. The 'essential songs' wasn't bad with the same guy doing it each week, seems a bit pointless now.

robbe wrote: »
    Just an observation and might be mistaken but does anyone else think that Philip Molloy isn't best pleased with the Netflix sponsorship of his movie slot on Right Hook? The classic film slot used to consist of him sourcing a good print of a genuine classic whereas now it's whatever is old and available on the Netflix platform. Certainly doesn't sound like a man who is too enthusiastic about Escape from Alcatraz.......also notice his podcasts aren't kept up to date (to be fair they were never great at that part anyway) - fidn it difficult to listen to his show in the new slot but the listen back feature never worked for his show (possibly something to do with rights issues on the music?) While I'm not a big fan of his when he sits in for Hook I do like him when he is talking about film/tv.

It is funny. He was always very dismissive of Netflix in the last year or so, then they rolled out as a sponsor and he did a U turn.

He was not in cork for the movie which I found odd.

mloc123 wrote: »
    What is the story with the Hooke show slots these days?

The travel and 'essential songs' have rolling presenters each week. The 'essential songs' wasn't bad with the same guy doing it each week, seems a bit pointless now.

Yeah, I'd have perferred it if they had kept Tom Dunne every week. You'd think too that Newstalk would only be too happy to have him promote his own show.

• Advertisement

Jesus guys - you have to find something better to complain about. This is about money being donated to charity. The competition element gives a bit of edge and banter to the whole thing and might even encourage listeners to text into their favourite radio show / for their favorite charity, which increases the fund money (seeing as how - as was mentioned frequently during the limited time I get to listen to Newstalk during the day - the entirety of the 30c text fee is also going to charity (listen at about 38.15 here)).

That was the first mention of NT donating the 30c to the charities that I heard, and I have Breakfast on in the background for around 2 hours every morning and was specifically listening out to hear if they were donating it. Maybe I just missed it, but I think they should have emphasised that point a bit more.

Either way, fair play to them for doing it.
    Nobody is saying that one charity is more deserving than others - in fact, the point has frequently been made on NT that these are all extremely worthwhile causes. And, if Electric Ireland gets some advertising in the process, I'm sure the charities won't begrudge them.

Listen, I know that the intention of the competition is good. And I know it's great that no matter what happens each charity get a nice chunk of money. And fair play to EI for putting the money up.

However, I just don't feel it's right to pit charities against each other. If it doesn't bother you then that's fine, but it feels wrong to me.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd have perferred it if they had kept Tom Dunne every week. You'd think too that Newstalk would only be too happy to have him promote his own show.

I was away for a couple of weeks, any word on why Bill Hughes is gone?

mloc123 wrote: »
    I was away for a couple of weeks, any word on why Bill Hughes is gone?

No idea. I haven't heard them mention any reason anyway.

That was the first mention of NT donating the 30c to the charities that I heard, and I have Breakfast on in the background for around 2 hours every morning and was specifically listening out to hear if they were donating it. Maybe I just missed it, but I think they should have emphasised that point a bit more.

Either way, fair play to them for doing it.

I agree - if listeners aren't aware that they're donating the text money, then they should promote this more. I only listen to the Breakfast Show though and they've mentioned it repeatedly.

Listen, I know that the intention of the competition is good. And I know it's great that no matter what happens each charity get a nice chunk of money. And fair play to EI for putting the money up.

However, I just don't feel it's right to pit charities against each other. If it doesn't bother you then that's fine, but it feels wrong to me.

They can dress selected people from the various charity organisations up as contestants from The Hunger Games and pit them against each other as far as I'm concerned. As long as there is money being raised. If I could get €100 of donations with a raffle, or €150 with a raffle with a twist, I'd go for the twist every time. That extra €50 could make a real difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Why is there soccer now instead of Shane Coleman.
    Has Coleman's slot changed?

Why is there soccer now instead of Shane Coleman.
    Has Coleman's slot changed?

Extended OTB for today because of the three games. Back to normal next week I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup .

was the sunday show was only on for an hour.....

...and STILL coleman managed to devote half it to pimping up FF and saying how bad it was someone popped bertie ahern one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

yup .

was the sunday show was only on for an hour.....

...and STILL coleman managed to devote half it to pimping up FF and saying how bad it was someone popped bertie ahern one.

I laughed at Ivan during the week describing dermot aherne and noel dempsey as the nodding donkeys because of there denial that the troika were coming the time FF sold the country out to them.

Wonder did it slip ivans mind that aherne is shane colemans brother in law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

A bit of balance in Newstalk is no bad thing with the Blueshirts of Hook and Yates in a Dennis O'Brien run station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Eddie Hobbs thought he was in his element is morning trying to sensationalise the credit union story and trying to speculate as much as he could about he gravity of the situation. Fair play to Ivan, he called him out on some of the figures and Hobbs started backtracking furiously.

Can't stand the guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement