Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

brooke 2 wrote: »
    He pops up everywhere. Even on Ireland AM with Anton Savage
    recently. He has the most unattractive voice. Find it very difficult
    to listen to him! But he does look better than he sounds!! :)

His knowledge of anything that's not soccer related is very limited. I suspect he doesn't know much about soccer either.
    Agree with the voice, very hard to listen to. He sounds like what "Buckets of Blood" would sound like, from the Ross O Carroll Kelly books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

brooke 2 wrote: »
    He pops up everywhere. Even on Ireland AM with Anton Savage
    recently. He has the most unattractive voice. Find it very difficult
    to listen to him! But he does look better than he sounds!! :)

DOB is a big soccer fan,maybe he was doing him a favour.
    Think he got s job there recently with some club or other,forget which one.Probably won't be hearing from him for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

neris wrote: »
    the business show every morning takes a break just before 7am for the presenter to come back after the break and tell everyone he,ll be back at 730 and the breakfast show is up next. A pointless ad break that they could scrap and keep teh show going

Have to say the breakfast show is increasingly made up of similar fillers rather than news/opinion or god forbid a bit of analysis...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

kneemos wrote: »
    DOB is a big soccer fan,maybe he was doing him a favour.
    Think he got s job there recently with some club or other,forget which one.Probably won't be hearing from him for a while.

Yeah, Derry City. Hopefully that'll keep him out of the Newstalk studios for a bit although I suspect it won't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yeah, Derry City. Hopefully that'll keep him out of the Newstalk studios for a bit although I suspect it won't!
    It might keep him out of the studios, but they have these yokes nowadays called telephones ...

And if you didn't like his voice before ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wilberto wrote: »
    That hasn't stopped him before. He turns up very regular and he was on loads when he was Athlone boss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

That hasn't stopped him before. He turns up very regular and he was on loads when he was Athlone boss.

True, but that was only Athlone Town!! :D:D:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Anyone hear Ivan's humiliating apology to Foxford Wollen Mills regarding his thoughtless comments on Monday? At the time they were talking about gifts from our govt. to visiting dignitaries. Ivan scoffed at idea of gifting someone a "crappy old scarf" (or something very close) from Foxford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Didn't hear it but doubt it was humiliating as I'm sure he was probably talking in general rather than having a pop directly at the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slightly further away from the studios this time, well, about three times longer of a drive. Might be the salvation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Anyone hear Ivan's humiliating apology to Foxford Wollen Mills regarding his thoughtless comments on Monday? At the time they were talking about gifts from our govt. to visiting dignitaries. Ivan scoffed at idea of gifting someone a "crappy old scarf" (or something very close) from Foxford.

Yep. Heard it and enjoyed it.

I heard the original comments about the Foxford scarf and thought they were very unfair and dismissive - this from the World's Worst Bookie.

His 'I've seen it all and done it all in government and know the real story' routine is starting wear a bit thin for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MYOB wrote: »
    Slightly further away from the studios this time, well, about three times longer of a drive. Might be the salvation.

If you remember his time in Malta, no distance is too far for Rodd's opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

in fairness at least he made the apology personally unlike some rte lunchtime "talkshow" hosts who get a continuity announcer to do their apologise for them or take a day off when apologise have to be made

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

i can stomach small amounts of moncrieff, as in I do enjoy small doses but have to switch after about ten minutes, for the small amount of exposure i get of his show he always seems to read out these pointless texts where somebody has texted in abuse with no real additional point, this is at least the third time this week, today somebody texted in "sean you are an ars*hole", im sure this happens to every presenter umpteen times a show but for some reason Moncrieff feels the need to read this out and respond with some smart alec rubbish to the tune of 'go f*ck yourself' (which he does so often with any texter), but whats the point? It's like he cant actually believe somebody has this opinion of him. Hook does this from time to time also but doesnt seems as outraged and seems to wallow in the abuse and then delve deeper into whatever the self deprecation with whatever the texter said in order to shock listeners or something?, someone texted in a while back how he reckoned hook couldnt get it up anymore and then hook went into detail about his todger and how it hasnt so much as twitched since gretta garbo or some such aul wan from long ago went off screen, he then said it was any wonder how ingrid hung about with the lack of action in the bedroom....felt a large lump of vom come up while listening to this segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just thought i'd slap this in here for long time newstalk listeners.

conor brophy's standing in for george lee on the business show today. seeing as he left the 6.30 show on newtalk to go to RTE i cant help thinking taking over this slot permanently is his aim.

fair play to the guy IMO. Looks like his efforts there are paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

10am - 11am on Saturday mornings is the worst hour of the week. Feckin Futureproof on Newstalk and The Business Show on Radio One. It almost makes me lonesome for Hook's Saturday Sit In :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Danny Baker's show on 5 Live can be good at that time on a Saturday http://tunein.com/radio/BBC-Radio-5-live-909-s24943/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah im very disappointed.

some lad was caught digging up a couple of million quid in a field and no one's had the cop on to make a bertie joke.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There's very little reason to listen to the 8-9 hour of Breakfast if you've been listening since 7. You get the same news headlines at 8 and 8:30, the same paper review at 8:40, the same general round up at 8:05 including repeats of the last hour's interviews, an in depth sports piece that's really just elaborating on the headlines...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The President pontificating on Newstalk

How often does this happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ah im very disappointed.

some lad was caught digging up a couple of million quid in a field and no one's had the cop on to make a bertie joke.

:D

Bertie wouldn't have got caught!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There's very little reason to listen to the 8-9 hour of Breakfast if you've been listening since 7. You get the same news headlines at 8 and 8:30, the same paper review at 8:40, the same general round up at 8:05 including repeats of the last hour's interviews, an in depth sports piece that's really just elaborating on the headlines...

I've noticed this too. I remember when they were on about a particular scandal (I think it was the most recent CRC one) and Ivan went on and on about it from 7 - 8, including one 10/15 minute interview. The news at 8 came and went, and then Ivan proceeded to spout the exact same shíte between 8 and 9 that he did an hour earlier.

I swear, it's almost getting as bad as Johnny Healy's show. I don't want to be constantly bombarded with your opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The "live" cam on the site is not in sync with the sound at all.I wondered what was wrong at first.

So bad reception here in the south east, and now technical difficulties.Sort it DOB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Wayhay - got tickets to the Breakfast Show in the Marker on Friday. Must root out my autograph pen for Chris 'n' Ivan (I'm sure they'll be wanting my signature). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I dont like the way that Jonathan "Hero Of The People" Healy refers to Luke-Ming-Flanagan in a pejorative, jocose manner. He's a TD, is there no protocol in NT for referring to elected members as "deputy", or is that just for the TDs they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Super Stanley Deluxe

I dont like the way that Jonathan "Hero Of The People" Healy refers to Luke-Ming-Flanagan in a pejorative, jocose manner.

I'm not sure in what manner you're expected to refer to a lad who insists on having himself called after a comic book character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm not sure in what manner you're expected to refer to a lad who insists on having himself called after a comic book character.

"Heaven forbid", as Teddy Roosevelt was know to say...............

Is it just me or does Hook adopt an even more haughty taughty accent when interviewing an English toff?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

He's a wannabe aristocrat...even changed his political views during the course of the interview...if you can call it an interview...a right wing rant more like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is it just me or does Hook adopt an even more haughty taughty accent when interviewing an English toff?

Matt Cooper does it all the time.

On a Friday if he is speaking to someone about Munster rugby he will lay on the "sure, boyo" accent big time .

• Advertisement

An outside broadcast! What could possibly go wrong!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Has the PK ob just gone on the fritz?

Has the PK ob just gone on the fritz?

Gone all morning in the SE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that was some mess of a breakfast show

Ivan was all over the shop,was he out last night?:D

Newstalk should ditch the outside broadcasts. They're always a mess.

It was a bad idea to ask Bobby Kerr to sing.To put it on air was an even worse idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oh my dog that music "critic" on the Breakfast show really has his head up his own backside. He's beyond pretentious and full of self importance.

Every week i think right i'll give him another chance but no he's the sort of music snob i would enjoy beating with a shovel.

Oh my dog that music "critic" on the Breakfast show really has his head up his own backside. He's beyond pretentious and full of self importance.

Every week i think right i'll give him another chance but no he's the sort of music snob i would enjoy beating with a shovel.

I feel the same way whenever I hear John Fardy doing his film critiques on Newstalk. If he was made of chocolate he'd eat himself.

I feel the same way whenever I hear John Fardy doing his film critiques on Newstalk. If he was made of chocolate he'd eat himself.

Both of them are pretty bad. As reviewers go Philip Molloy in fairness isn't too bad when he's on with Hook. His own movie show is ruined by the way he delivers his reviews - clearly reading them from reams of paper, it sounds amateurish and stilted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Both of them are pretty bad. As reviewers go Philip Molloy in fairness isn't too bad when he's on with Hook. His own movie show is ruined by the way he delivers his reviews - clearly reading them from reams of paper, it sounds amateurish and stilted.

Ya i said that a few weeks ago as well, if its scripted at least make it sound as if it isn't.

I expect John Marr's album of the year 2014 to be a group od Islandic chidren who play spoons while humming the theme to Hart to Hart. " a stunning, haunting album that runs 64 mins and each of those make you reach into your heart and think of the innocent sin before you being laid out via these spoons"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

He's an awful spoofer.. I reckon he doesn't even listen to the music...he reviewed the new arctic monkeys album a few weeks ago by referencing the previous one, proving by his comments that he knew neither intimately...why do music critics never say ' I'm not too sure about this one, I need to give it a few more listens...'

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

I heard Michael Clifford on one of the year in review shows over recent days. There was a time when you couldn't turn on Newstalk without encountering him, now he's rarely heard from. This seems to be a theme - significant (perhaps excessive) exposure then someone new is flavour-of-the-month. John Waters, Kevin Meyers, Eddie Hobbs would be other examples, as well as John Drennan in more recent times.

I wonder is it the contributors or the radio station that pulls the plug? If it's intentional, it seems like an unusual strategy for Newstalk to take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Caught "You Couldn't Make it Up" last night.

Definitely has potential, but sort of fell a bit flat on a lot of occasions. I even thought I heard the distinct sound of an edit to insert laughs after a joke at one point.

Definitely has potential, but sort of fell a bit flat on a lot of occasions. I even thought I heard the distinct sound of an edit to insert laughs after a joke at one point.

I heard the first one. Seemed a little off to me, don't know if the concept really works on radio for some reason. Although it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

same can be said about george byrne on tom dunne's show.

come to think of it, how many movie reviewers are there on newstalk? does every show have their own version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I like Newstalk, I find it less uptight than most stations and doesn't have those cheesy d.j.s that other stations have. Sean Moncrieff's show is madcap, unpredictable and refreshing. George Hook holds his view unwaveringly. Newstalk breakfast with Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue has good banter between presenters. Okay we all know about dubious origins of the radio station and the questionable character of the founder of the station, but it's one of the better stations to listen to in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Creepy Bosco interview this morning, he comes across as being a very sinister individual. You could tell Chris and Pat Kenny were quite uncomfortable with his presence in the studio, especially when he began to demand to know where Ivan was in a threatening tone of voice.

He must be in his mid 40s by now, which makes his behaviour all the more disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Except its a "news show" that they recorded all the episodes in the Helix a couple of weeks ago. That means they are banking on nothing much happening for a few months. North Korea could nuke the south and start a global war and we'll be listening to them joking about NAMA and top up payments while sitting in our fall out shelters.

Creepy Bosco interview this morning, he comes across as being a very sinister individual. You could tell Chris and Pat Kenny were quite uncomfortable with his presence in the studio, especially when he began to demand to know where Ivan was in a threatening tone of voice.

He must be in his mid 40s by now, which makes his behaviour all the more disturbing.

In fairness he wouldn't be the only puppet on DOBs newstalk. I always said a few of the presenters there were being voiced by someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Moncrieff's interview with parenting expert David Carey was pretty interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement