Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The first episode was tragic, the audience weren't laughing and it became very awkward to listen to. I've only heard dribs and drabs since and when it seems to have improved slightly it still wouldn't be my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thought the mary mcalesse & dennis rodman in prison sketch was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'd slap that fella Jonathan Healy wouldn't you? His tone is just appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

"basically" x 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

mike65 wrote: »

Think the "anchor" of NEWSTALK LUNCHTIME is a bit miffed that O'Rourke broke the Irish Water consultancy story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

delaad wrote: »
    Think the "anchor" of NEWSTALK LUNCHTIME is a bit miffed that O'Rourke broke the Irish Water consultancy story.

Healy gets he's news from the s*n newspaper!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Healy gets he's news from the s*n newspaper!

You're not too far wrong I'd say. He actually had a 'journalist' on from The Star there not so long a ago!!! :eek:

Personally, I gave up listening to him since the new year. He's just simply terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Healy is the only person on Newstalk I cannot listen to. His programme is about as Fair and Balanced as Fox News. Its not that he is anti-fine gael, he just purely anti-government. No matter who the party of the day is he will be against them. It is quite dangerous to have in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I don't want to defend him, but I think a lot of the electorate share his disgust with all our politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't want to defend him, but I think a lot of the electorate share his disgust with all our politicians.

Its all faux-outrage which is my problem. I'm sure he can see the other side of the coin but he won't admit to it and uses it for the ratings. He only ever uses negative government stories too and if there was a positive story he'd find something negative.

Again this isn't a Fine Gael thing, if Fianna Fail/Sink Fein were the government he'd do the same. I think it undermines democracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's very choosy as to who he's disgusted with.

He has he's buddy on every Monday just before the 1 o clock news, who was a fianna fail TD in the government that bankrupt the country. And I've never heard him ask him a question about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Its all faux-outrage which is my problem.

it's almost as bad as Eamonn Keane's!

Anyone else lost NT signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anyone else lost NT signal?

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I have signal. Unfortunatly. Pat talking bout that famous Irish actress Meryl Streep. This paddy whackery and looking for famous yanks ancestry is getting beyond the stupid and desperate

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

You're not missing much.

They're talking to some guy who's Meryl Streeps fourth or fifth cousin.

No, i'm not joking.

^^^^^
    Edit: Beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Eh did Ivan just say that the CRC chief exec was paid a golden shower payment........

Is anyone else listening to this bull****? No not Scientology which is on now but supposed post famine behaviour? You swear Irish children were the only one told to 'clean their plates' at meal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Like a whining spoiled child. One of the worst voices and attitudes on radio. You could hear the contempt in Brian Hayes' responses the other day, and totally justifiably so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

what is this 'have i got news for you' effort with a live audience??? it's sh*t. tara duggans presence making it sh*tter.

gets better, followed by that tool Henry McKeane interviewing junkies AGAIN. Not hanging around for his stuck up mum to show up talking pony.

News talk Sunday night between 6 and 7 serious bottom barrel radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Looks like Ciaran Lynch's chances of chairing that enquiry have just been scuppered by Jonathan Healy. Nice one.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

I'm really starting to enjoy George Hook these days. I've gone from wondering who the hell he was when he first started his pundit gig on RTE, to actively disliking him, to warming to his various outbursts and over-the-top style, to actually beginning to think he's a bit of a radio gem. The Friday show in particular is good radio.

He wears his heart of his sleeve, is an unrepentant FG voter and isn't afraid of his prejudices. It's personality driven radio. Not for everyone. I find it refreshing compared to Drivetime and The Last Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Rabelais wrote: »
    I'm really starting to enjoy George Hook these days. I've gone from wondering who the hell he was when he first started his pundit gig on RTE, to actively disliking him, to warming to his various outbursts and over-the-top style, to actually beginning to think he's a bit of a radio gem. The Friday show in particular is good radio.

He wears his heart of his sleeve, is an unrepentant FG voter and isn't afraid of his prejudices. It's personality driven radio. Not for everyone. I find it refreshing compared to Drivetime and The Last Word.

I am with you on that, but not a fan of his stand in and main Friday guest.I have an irrational dislike of this person...I'll say no more.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

Ivan Yates gave Micheál Martin a good grilling this morning. Couple of clean headshots.

Rabelais wrote: »
    Ivan Yates gave Micheál Martin a good grilling this morning. Couple of clean headshots.

I didn't hear it but I thought he went very soft on that job bridge fella, almost kissing yer mans hole going as far as calling him 'savvy kind of guy'...yer man seemed like a complete cock and didn't give a single direct answer to Ivan's questions, just gave a load of spin and poxy stats which Ivan didn't challenge...they must have some kind of history because I'd say there are a number of journalists who would like to interview him no holds barred about job bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I didn't hear it but I thought he went very soft on that job bridge fella, almost kissing yer mans hole going as far as calling him 'savvy kind of guy'...yer man seemed like a complete cock and didn't give a single direct answer to Ivan's questions, just gave a load of spin and poxy stats which Ivan didn't challenge...they must have some kind of history because I'd say there are a number of journalists who would like to interview him no holds barred about job bridge.

Thought the Job Bridge fella put across a very, very strong case.

Just been watching Newstalk TV. I'm convinced they read the news from the inside of a prison cell.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Thought the Job Bridge fella put across a very, very strong case.

Yes, he did. Because he wasn't challenged in any way about his claims and didnt give a direct answer to a single question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

here we go again.

the media were embarresed into admiting the RA had feck all to do with this gards death in that robery and here they are again now saying the guys who did it are being protected by em.

lets just be fecking honest here. if you kill someone, and youve NO connection to em, odds are you'll get away with it.

thats what makes serial killers so fecking scary. most people who top each other are either friends of the people involved or family members.

a year down the road i reckon these lads are scott free. IMO itll take one of em coming forward to nab the rest. sad but thats what it is.

wont be the first time someone got away with murder in this country.

Do they not have a little cloakroom or something in Newstalk Towers? Moncrieff's current guest has her handbag on the ground. A guest on the PK Show this morning had his umbrella on the desk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

A guest on the PK Show this morning had his umbrella on the desk.

Was it Batman's arch rival, the Penguin?

Was it Batman's arch rival, the Penguin?

Joker....

It's looks as if the film reviewer and wine connoisseur have brought their shopping into the studio with them at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Anyone watching ?

Claire is in tears here.

The very best of luck to her wherever she's off to next. :)

Lapin wrote: »
    Anyone watching ?

Claire is in tears here.

i looked to see all the shopping all over the place.

moncreiff spoke highly of her. nice tribute

Dave McIntyre reminds me of the character Chance the Gardener from the film "Being There" - totally out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lapin wrote: »
    Anyone watching ?

Claire is in tears here.

I didn't hear the show today, Who is she?

Who is she?

claire sutton. one of the producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

filled out with american writers on about books that no one here are evder going to read............

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

A nation of begrudgers.

charkee wrote: »
    filled out with american writers on about books that no one here are evder going to read............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Wilberto wrote: »
    A nation of begrudgers.

Do you now what the word 'begrudgers' means?

Moncrieff's daily parade of obscure American authors is just lazy air filling scheduling.

Skid X wrote: »
    Do you now what the word 'begrudgers' means?

Moncrieff's daily parade of obscure American authors is just lazy air filling scheduling.

a lot of it is entertaining, some of them are just mental.

it's the british bloggers that irritate me. there were 2 in specific this week that bugged me. one girl who blogged during her baby's birth, and the couple that did so much research into their perfect wedding that they went to 50 weddings in 50 countries or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I don't really understand people whinging about Moncrieff talking to authors, most of them are interesting, like the story of the 94 year old woman who still competes in sporting events was fascinating, if it wasn't for Moncrieff I wouldn't have heard about it.
    While I'll admit it's rare I buy a book I've heard about on the show, you still learn about people you've never heard of or pick up some interesting facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

jimmyw wrote: »
    I am with you on that, but not a fan of his stand in and main Friday guest.I have an irrational dislike of this person...I'll say no more.

It is useless when George is missing - Shane Coleman was filling in for him on Friday.
    Enough said! :(

And that Dr. Ciara Kelly does my head in! Would not want to have her as my doctor -- very
    little empathy!!

Yes, he did. Because he wasn't challenged in any way about his claims and didnt give a direct answer to a single question.

What should he have asked? I don't know a lot about Job Bridge to be honest beyond people are getting about €50 on top of their dole in order to get an internship in an industry and the employer is getting cheap labour. The fear, as I understand it, is that people aren't getting long term employment out of it and employers are using it as a way to get people in to do jobs without having to create a permanent position.

Yates asked:

1. Do people get permanent employment from it? The fella gave a very concrete answer about the amount of jobs created (which I can't remember but it was quite impressive).
    2. Are employers just using it to avoid paying a proper wage for a permanent position? The fella answered that the employer would have to wait 6 months before he could recruit another Job Bridge person unless they'd given the first person a permanent job.
    3. Yates asked why the public service only gave permanent positions to, on average, 2 out of 16 Job Bridge people who've worked for them. Yer man answered that 60% of the remainder had gone onto get permanent jobs elsewhere.

So, for me at least, the fella had portrayed a system that, at a top line level, was doing what it should do. He was clear on the numbers and wasn't evasive. Every system has holes and I'm sure there are issues with this one but it seems to be doing what it was set up to do. I'm not sure what else Yates should have asked.

That said, my understanding of Job Bridge is fairly limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

charkee wrote: »

Silly americans on every day talking shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

1. Do people get permanent employment from it? The fella gave a very concrete answer about the amount of jobs created (which I can't remember but it was quite impressive).

i suppose nobody lost their job only to be replaced by a Scambridge intern? The figure for Jobs created is meaningless without looking at the number of jobs lost within the company and also whether the figure is permanent jobs created, or just interns placed.

Also, if an employer is only able to hire another intern after six months, how do you explain Advance Pitstop advertising for twenty eight interns at once?

i suppose nobody lost their job only to be replaced by a Scambridge intern? The figure for Jobs created is meaningless without looking at the number of jobs lost within the company and also whether the figure is permanent jobs created, or just interns placed.

Also, if an employer is only able to hire another intern after six months, how do you explain Advance Pitstop advertising for twenty eight interns at once?

Do you have any numbers on the first point?

On point two, quite easily I'd have thought. I'd imagine, based on what yer man said, that after 6 months they can't replace anyone unless the give the person they are replacing a permanent job.

The fear is that they are just using Job Bridge as cheap labour and replacing permanent jobs. If Advance are trying to use it to replace permanent jobs, then whether they take on 1 or 28, surely after 6 months they'd be found out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Do you have any numbers on the first point?

On point two, quite easily I'd have thought. I'd imagine, based on what yer man said, that after 6 months they can't replace anyone unless the give the person they are replacing a permanent job.

The fear is that they are just using Job Bridge as cheap labour and replacing permanent jobs. If Advance are trying to use it to replace permanent jobs, then whether they take on 1 or 28, surely after 6 months they'd be found out?

The stats on jobs lost around the same time as internships created isn't recorded....conveniently. Jobs lost in competitor companies due to being underpriced by interns, isn't available either.

Companies know how to get around employment laws, they've been doing it for years by slightly altering the job title/role so it looks like a completely new job to the one they made redundant. I'm sure they pull the same trick when looking for interns.

The stats on jobs lost around the same time as internships created isn't recorded....conveniently. Jobs lost in competitor companies due to being underpriced by interns, isn't available either.

Companies know how to get around employment laws, they've been doing it for years by slightly altering the job title/role so it looks like a completely new job to the one they made redundant. I'm sure they pull the same trick when looking for interns.

Fair enough. Just been reading the Job Bridge thread so I can understand some of the frustration and there are some more probing questions Yates could have asked.

I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Im not really into consumer tech, but I'm always amused by how uninformed Hooky's 2 tech "experts" are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement