Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Im not really into consumer tech, but I'm always amused by how uninformed Hooky's 2 tech "experts" are.

To be fair to them look who they are dealing with, the guy seems to know a bit more than Jessica does but all the knowledge is lost on George as anytime they speak to anything to technical he points out how old he is.

So what has happened is the slot has turned into a backslapping of George and a dumbed down version of an IT slot. The guy that did it before i thought was really good Joe D (something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Calhoun wrote: »
    To be fair to them look who they are dealing with, the guy seems to know a bit more than Jessica does but all the knowledge is lost on George as anytime they speak to anything to technical he points out how old he is.

So what has happened is the slot has turned into a backslapping of George and a dumbed down version of an IT slot. The guy that did it before i thought was really good Joe D (something).

Nobody who has ever done a 'technology' slot on Irish national radio has ever seemed to have more than a fleeting knowledge of the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Thought the Job Bridge fella put across a very, very strong case.

The "Job Bridge fella" who was a chief executive in Hewlett Packard?, who admitted they took on loads of interns?. So a multinational company worth billions decides to get free staff that the state will pay for so naturally "Job Bridge fella" thinks this is a good idea, what company wouldn't?

He said that 6 out of every 10 interns went on to get a job, where is the evidence for this, any links?. How many companies like Advanced Pitstop are getting free labour while their competitors have to pay pages?

MYOB wrote: »
    Nobody who has ever done a 'technology' slot on Irish national radio has ever seemed to have more than a fleeting knowledge of the subject.

Yah but they get by on the fact most the Irish population dont know either. You also gotta remember they have to feed Georges ego which used to be a 1 man job but its grown so big they now need two people to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The "Job Bridge fella" who was a chief executive in Hewlett Packard?, who admitted they took on loads of interns?. So a multinational company worth billions decides to get free staff that the state will pay for so naturally "Job Bridge fella" thinks this is a good idea, what company wouldn't?

He said that 6 out of every 10 interns went on to get a job, where is the evidence for this, any links?. How many companies like Advanced Pitstop are getting free labour while their competitors have to pay pages?

Ah look, I've admitted Yates could have probed more but I doubt the fella is going to spout those stats in public if they aren't true. He answered the questions he was asked very well. He just wasn't asked the right questions.

What's he supposed to do?

Yates: So how many people get a job.
    HP Man: Well 6 out of 10. Go to www.imsocynical.ie to see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Piece in the Metro about RTE compensation to the Iona Institute and an apology from Brendan O'Connor. They were saying the Iona refused to comment on the amount of compensation paid, whereas Chris on Newstalk had said it was a "respectable" amount.

"Respectable"? I've never heard a damages award described as such.

What was he really trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What is Newstalk's fascination with Ed Walsh?? The man could bore for Ireland.

The Aberdeen love-in on Off the Ball reminds me of how great Newstalk is.

Alex McLeish, Graham Hunter, Alex Ferguson and a mini-history that I was completely ignorant about being brought to life with passion, colour and wit.

Love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

What is Newstalk's fascination with Ed Walsh?? The man could bore for Ireland.

He detests Secondary Teachers, and pretty well the entire public sector,...... except possibly the bit that gives retired University Heads a cushy pension.

No harm to him, but he's a total dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think there's something wrong with my radio. There's Henry McKean talking about rappers in Limerick from 2009. What's that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Piece in the Metro about RTE compensation to the Iona Institute and an apology from Brendan O'Connor. They were saying the Iona refused to comment on the amount of compensation paid, whereas Chris on Newstalk had said it was a "respectable" amount.

"Respectable"? I've never heard a damages award described as such.

What was he really trying to say?

take a wild guess.

i cant see chris getting through the gay marriage referendum without putting his foot in it. he's been rampantly biased for ages on any discussion that comes near it and just cant help mouthing off.

the peice they did today on surragacy for instance, despite the law of the land clearly stating the surragate is the mother (ya gotta do a bit of legal jiggery pokery where the surrogate signs adoption papers transfering the legal entitlement to the new mother) , he dismissed that altogether in favor of the genetic arguement. essentially just seeing them as cows for the manufacturing of kids.

and he see's none of this.

hell they didnt even broach what would happen if the surrogate decided at the end to keep the kid. it was just assumed in all case's things would be hunky dory. which flies in the face of the messy nature of human relationships.

wait and see, when this gets nasty (and it will) , newstalk will end up in the BCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Image if Jonathan Healy got through a programme without telling from where he is broadcasting to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

:D

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I'm just wondering if there's an audio engineering reason for this but I'm finding him more difficult to listen to recently, the microphone seems to be picking up every swallow & tongue inflection from the man.
    I'd liken it to hearing your late father eating marmalade on soda bread at the breakfast table & you were treated to every bite.

It's very annoying & Matt Cooper is becoming the beneficiary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who's yer wan on the panel on The Right Hook this evening?

She is taking political correctness to new extremes

She's nearly at the stage of describing anyone who walks past a gay person without bowing the head and genuflecting as a homophobe.

Starting to piss me off she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think its Dr Ciara.... And that is not what she said..... Way to hyperbole much.

I think its Dr Ciara.... And that is not what she said..... Way to hyperbole much.

You obviously didn't read my post. I didn't quote her directly.

I just used a mildly lampooning remark to highlight her (very staunch) political correctness.

Lapin wrote: »

She's nearly at the stage of describing anyone who walks past a gay person without bowing the head and genuflecting as a homophobe.

Indeed won't stop talking over everyone but George , she was saying anyone who didn't agree with her view was a homophobe.

I agree with the point made by yer man that this kinda name calling would alienate the already won over middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Dr.Ciara Kelly, from Greystones. She is a right pain - no pun intended!

Very populist. She really got on my goat this evening - not for the first time!!

Shane Coleman was speaking a lot of sense. He really held his own against
    both Ciara Kelly and Bobby Kerr. Cannot stand Kerr!

• Advertisement

Indeed won't stop talking over everyone but George , she was saying anyone who didn't agree with her view was a homophobe.

I agree with the point made by yer man that this kinda name calling would alienate the already won over middle ground.

Shane Coleman made some very good points, re homophobia and the Croke Park
    concerts. Bobby Kerr was abysmal! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Shane Coleman made some very good points, re homophobia and the Croke Park
    concerts. Brian Kerr was abysmal! :(
    Think you both mean Bobby Kerr, who as soon as heard him speaking I switched over to Matt Cooper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Think you both mean Bobby Kerr, who as soon as heard him speaking I switched over to Matt Cooper!

:-D

Yeah, leave Brian Kerr alone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Likewise .

Aye the whole Bobby Kerr thing.

I've nothing against the man and acknowledge his success.

But few thing grate me more than business people using public platforms (eg Newstalk) to accentuate their virtues.

Anyone who describes themself as an entrepreneur instantly loses kudos with me.

Its not that I don't admire them for doing well but I don't like the way they put it across.

Its a bit like the rich and famous (and planty of Z list celebs) bragging about their charitable causes.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just don't like brash expressions of egotism.

I have more time for those who just get on with it and don't use their virtues for self promotion and fame.

In fairness to Bobby Kerr, he is far from being the biggest culprit in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

But few thing grate me more than business people using public platforms (eg Newstalk) to accentuate their virtues.

Its not that I don't admire them for doing well but I don't like the way they put it across.

Its a bit like the rich and famous (and planty of Z list celebs) bragging about their charitable causes.

I have more time for those who just get on with it and don't use their virtues for self promotion and fame.

In fairness to Bobby Kerr, he is far from being the biggest culprit in this regard.

Aye another Newstalk presenter springs to mind(food)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I am very hesitant to call bobby Kerr and Norah Casey so called success as big entrepreneurial achievements, right time, right place within an imaginary bubble...total fluke, won the lotto

A right pair of gobsheens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think that panel reached new lows today with Blobby and Dr Ciara. Very hard to listen to such guff.

Thank you! Knew it did not sound right. Now corrected.

Bobby Kerr had absolutely no sympathy for the residents near Croke Park who will have to endure five days
    of concerts, with all that it will entail.

Loved it when Shane Coleman reminded Kerr of all the complaints he had made re the Luas works outside one
    of his shops!!

Things are only a problem when they directly affect Bobby, it seems!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I don't understand how that Dr. Ciara Kelly gets an increasingly regular slot on GH. I didn't mind when she was a guest providing her medical viewpoints or advice but she seems to now be a more regular 'guest' and in a non medical advice role. She irritates the hell out of me. She can be quite rude and opinionated. I think she really scraped the barrel in the homophobia discussion though and it was quite obvious that the other presenters were raising an eyebrow at her. Hopefully hear less of her now......

What's worse is that she's now infiltrating tv land as well!!!

• Advertisement

I never would have known that Norah Casey is a woman, only for the fact that she mentions it every 5 minutes.

I don't understand how that Dr. Ciara Kelly gets an increasingly regular slot on GH. I didn't mind when she was a guest providing her medical viewpoints or advice but she seems to now be a more regular 'guest' and in a non medical advice role. She irritates the hell out of me. She can be quite rude and opinionated. I think she really scraped the barrel in the homophobia discussion though and it was quite obvious that the other presenters were raising an eyebrow at her. Hopefully hear less of her now......

What's worse is that she's now infiltrating tv land as well!!!

She was very careful not to talk over George so I doubt it. What tv program is it ? If it's anything my tv3 don't think we have to worry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Does anyone else find talking history is getting to acaðemic and nearly trying to be to intellectual? I like the show and some of the topics have been good but i think lately the show is nearly turning into an intellectuals show off of who knows more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

She was very careful not to talk over George so I doubt it. What tv program is it ? If it's anything my tv3 don't think we have to worry .

Some 'Doctors' programme on RTE, very lame programme, and that Operation Transformation programme too.

Some 'Doctors' programme on RTE, very lame programme, and that Operation Transformation programme too.

Ah right, well hopefully she will eventually go the way of the other doctor that was on it and fade into obscurity.

I wouldnt think it would take too long however as if last fridays show is anything to go on its only time before she says something that really gets peoples backs up.

has Henry Mckeane infiltrated the breakfast show now with his tedious junkie interviews or was that a once off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Jesus, the "security" on Pat Kenny guy needs to climb out of his own arse.

"Government assets mobilised in this way". ?????
    Seriously? Is this idiot talking about tanks?

How about ... " This type of equipment is typically only available to government. So it looks like some government department either from inside the state or from outside is the perpetrator"

That's some arse talk that makes a bit more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

DubTony wrote: »

Ireland has tanks??? FFS how did that happen?????? Could the IMF not have sold them to some proper democracy, or even a decent tin-pot despotic regime for a few quid??

DubTony wrote: »
    Jesus, the "security" on Pat Kenny guy needs to climb out of his own arse.

How about ... " This type of equipment is typically only available to government. So it looks like some government department either from inside the state or from outside is the perpetrator"

That's some arse talk that makes a bit more sense.

Not as bad as Chris on Breakfast.

Ivan tells him it had to have been the guards spying on the ombudsman' office.

Chris isn't buying that. He has whittled it down to his own personal list of potential suspects - it could have been solicitors :confused: or journalists :pac:

Then he gets a guest on who was using all the same industry speak terms you quoted above. Totally out of left field and with no basis whatsoever, Chris goes "are you hinting this has a Northern angle?"

Talk about an over active imagination

Whenever I hear the hyperbolic Paul Williams being asked for his opinion on radio, I automatically feel the programme doesn't take the item in question as seriously as they could.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Whenever I hear the hyperbolic Paul Williams being asked for his opinion on radio, I automatically feel the programme doesn't take the item in question as seriously as they could.

Its actually hilarious. Williams had no problem working for a newspaper that bugged dead kids phones. Now he's on talking about bugging the garda ombudsman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Another american on talking utter shyte. A 3d model of unborn baby.

Anyone else sick of that 'Gaeilge Gasta with Donal o Donovan' ad? It goes on for about 30 seconds, I have no idea what it's about. It's on the whole time. Hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

MJ23 wrote: »
    Another american on talking utter shyte. A 3d model of unborn baby.

Anyone else sick of that 'Gaeilge Gasta with Donal o Donovan' ad? It goes on for about 30 seconds, I have no idea what it's about. It's on the whole time. Hate it.

Its 20 seconds comprising of the 1st paragraph of the Wiki profile of a famous person.

And in doing this nothingness, newstalk fulfill their Irish language obligations.

Its 20 seconds comprising of the 1st paragraph of the Wiki profile of a famous person.

And in doing this nothingness, newstalk fulfill their Irish language obligations.

And the speaker's staccato delivery, apart from being irritating, is not authentic. There's no flow to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Ah right, well hopefully she will eventually go the way of the other doctor that was on it and fade into obscurity.

I wouldnt think it would take too long however as if last fridays show is anything to go on its only time before she says something that really gets peoples backs up.

I used to enjoy Hook's Friday get-together but ever since "the good doctor" joined the panel I can barely stand to have the radio on; I suppose it's some comfort to know that I'm not alone in finding her objectionable. She's clearly relishing her new media role and no doubt a book will find it's way on the shelves for next Christmas.

Not as bad as Chris on Breakfast.

Ivan tells him it had to have been the guards spying on the ombudsman' office.

Chris isn't buying that. He has whittled it down to his own personal list of potential suspects - it could have been solicitors :confused: or journalists :pac:

Then he gets a guest on who was using all the same industry speak terms you quoted above. Totally out of left field and with no basis whatsoever, Chris goes "are you hinting this has a Northern angle?"

Talk about an over active imagination

he was at it again this morning, he "senses a split" in the ombudsman office...this was met with a silence and then Ivan then went "right...." and moved on to something completely different.

he's desperate for his woodward and bernstein moment, i'm not sure random conjecture is the best way to go about it, he's bound to put his foot in it badly one of these days and land himself and the station in hot water...watch this space

he was at it again this morning, he "senses a split" in the ombudsman office...this was met with a silence and then Ivan then went "right...." and moved on to something completely different.

he's desperate for his woodward and bernstein moment, i'm not sure random conjecture is the best way to go about it, he's bound to put his foot in it badly one of these days and land himself and the station in hot water...watch this space

Its all relative. IMO he puts his foot in it repeatedly every day without fail.

Eg reporting this morning that Donald Trump has just bought Poolbeg:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Eg reporting this morning that Donald Trump has just bought Poolbeg:pac:

Next thing he'll be telling us that Donald Trump or some other property developer paid 400 million for an 'ould bottle factory near Poolbeg....ha ha, sure wouldn't that be gas altogether....

Next thing he'll be telling us that Donald Trump or some other property developer paid 400 million for an 'ould bottle factory near Poolbeg....ha ha, sure wouldn't that be gas altogether....

That started this morning with him going, "We now go to Donald Trump Jnr interviewing Ivan about his......Ivan interviewing Donald Trump Jnr about his purchase of Poolbeg"!

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who likes Chris? :o

He's the least pretentious presenter on the radio and he's not afraid to laugh at himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement