Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Am I the only one who likes Chris? :o

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

He's the least pretentious presenter on the radio and he's not afraid to laugh at himself.

The combination of Yates and Donohue really works for me. I just wish the Newstalk coverage around the country was better, as I end up having to listen to either Tubridy or Murray (did I just dream that awful thing about "sausages" this morning???) when I'm on long journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is it just me who thinks that Damien Dempsey is absolute cack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Double-linn Town was pretty awful, but I do like the recorded version of It's All Good with Sinead O'Connor, the live version he sang yesterday on Pat Kenny was awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

if it was that ad this morning you are talking about, i think its because he lets this big extended roar/singing at the end of it which is pretty offensive to the ears. contender for that crap radio ad thread that i saw here a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

All of these hipster arseholes who moan into a microphone are pure cack, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

LOL at calling Damien Dempsey a hipster, are you aware of who he actually is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus NT fix your audio output! The max level limiter keeps getting triggered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Pat certainly hasnt left his love for the banjo behind him in Montrose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Pat certainly hasnt left his love for the banjo behind him in Montrose..

don't begrudge him a bit of banjo, at least he left all the montrose inbreeds back in the woods. I certainly don't miss Valerie Cox making mountains out of Mohill

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Poly wrote: »
    don't begrudge him a bit of banjo, at least he left all the montrose inbreeds back in the woods. I certainly don't miss Valerie Cox making mountains out of Mohill

Are you available for funny Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike65 wrote: »
    Jasus NT fix your audio output! The max level limiter keeps getting triggered

Gone completely at the moment.Intermittent all day on Tuesday.
    Seems they can't handle windy weather for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

kneemos wrote: »
    Gone completely at the moment.Intermittent all day on Tuesday.
    Seems they can't handle windy weather for some reason.

Bit like Denis O'Brien - must be the main reason he's not resident here hmmmmmm

Movies And Booze is getting boring. If you're not a connoisseur of alcoholic grape juice or overpriced craft beer, there's not much point to it.
    If I'm getting a bottle of wine, I generally go for the highest percentage. That's my yardstick.

T'would be nice if they discussed whiskey, brandy, and more popular beers and stouts once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Movies And Booze is getting boring. If you're not a connoisseur of alcoholic grape juice or overpriced craft beer, there's not much point to it.
    If I'm getting a bottle of wine, I generally go for the highest percentage. That's my yardstick.

T'would be nice if they discussed whiskey, brandy, and more popular beers and stouts once in a while.

Yeah the posh one doing the wines today sounded langered before it even started shouting about her verruca!

Also someone please get rid of Henry and his mother Please!!!!

It's fairly clear at this stage that Henry is being used as a gom. In all his years at Newstalk, he's yet to get himself his own programme. He's a poor man's Paddy O'Gorman, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Yeah the posh one doing the wines today sounded langered before it even started shouting about her verruca!

dean mcguinness is funny, as is martin moran, but the other 2 wine reviewers just make what should be a relaxed part of the week drag on.
    i'm teetotal, but enjoy movies and booze a lot when there's a bit of craic in it. there rarely is when it's jean smullen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Henry had his own show before.

neris wrote: »

Can someone explain the point in him please? The last two Fridays have been painful with this date nonsense. The pointless vox pops everyday going round the street to ask the people questions is painful aswell. Doesn't help when he sounds like he's still got his silver spoon shoved in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Under The Covers' on Saturday mornings, I think it's still on. It's prerecorded and the content is usually very bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

He's the least pretentious presenter on the radio and he's not afraid to laugh at himself.
    I like Chris myself. A perfectly able wingman.

If he could only lose the 'nooz' tick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

dean mcguinness is funny, as is martin moran, but the other 2 wine reviewers just make what should be a relaxed part of the week drag on.
    i'm teetotal, but enjoy movies and booze a lot when there's a bit of craic in it. there rarely is when it's jean smullen though.

Yes, she's quite bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

How has nobody in Marconi House told Chris on the Breakfast Show to relax on pronouncing his "t's" and "th's" at this stage.

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    How has nobody in Marconi House told Chris on the Breakfast Show to relax on pronouncing his "t's" and "th's" at this stage.

The guy who does the business news is ten times worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Movies And Booze is getting boring.

Does the movie critic still do a mini-review before she actually does the full review, even though she has nothing of interest to say in either of them? So irritating.

The point of a movie critic is to place the film in a certain context, how it relates to other films from the genre/director/era, what themes it's trying to explore, etc.

None of the critics on Newstalk do that. They're modern critics, which means they get paid for saying what they like. Such a pointless job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Does the movie critic still do a mini-review before she actually does the full review, even though she has nothing of interest to say in either of them? So irritating.

The point of a movie critic is to place the film in a certain context, how it relates to other films from the genre/director/era, what themes it's trying to explore, etc.

None of the critics on Newstalk do that. They're modern critics, which means they get paid for saying what they like. Such a pointless job.

Well some stuck up their own arse self important "critic" waffling about the talking "context" of a movie and the various themes it explores is one way to drive the audience to booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

touts wrote: »
    Well some stuck up their own arse self important "critic" waffling about the talking "context" of a movie and the various themes it explores is one way to drive the audience to booze.

Listening to 'critics' talking about this year's grapes and bottle-conditioned Norwegian ales... it's enough to drive ya to the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

has anyone else in the south east lost the signal?

No.
    Louder than it used to be though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Fionn Davenport in for Sean, and have to say makes a nice change from Sean.

Whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Liam Doran justed claim 'profiteering by airlines' because nurses were emigrating, presumably on profiteering airplanes.....DAMN YOU MICK O'LEARY AND YOUR EVIL PROFITEERING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Liam Doran justed claim 'profiteering by airlines' because nurses were emigrating, presumably on profiteering airplanes.....DAMN YOU MICK O'LEARY AND YOUR EVIL PROFITEERING

Was changing station to pat heard dorans whiny voice turned off. We must be exporting a serious amount of nurses to keep airlines in profit. Dont forget trade unions dont like business making profits (unless the company gives 100% of profits to union members)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Dont forget trade unions dont like business making profits (unless the company gives 100% of profits to union members)
    I don't think Trade Unions are that silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If by nice you mean smarmy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yes. Comes and goes depending on the day....annoys the hell out of me.

Jesus Chris is taking this gay rights issue awful personal. He seems mortally offended if someone disagrees with his view. It seems to be the way of younger reporters now though that they are so pc and high and mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Ugh listening this morning and Ivan makes a reference to Chris being a windbag...Chris's awesome riposte "NO YOU"RE A WINDBAG!!!" It was better when he

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

When Chris and Ivan have "banter" I feel like throwing up.

What the fook am I listening to at the moment? :confused:

Childhood pastimes? Considering McIntyre is just about out of short pants, these memories must be as familiar as if they happened last week......

• Advertisement

Coleman and McIntyre think that Captain Morgan is whiskey :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And Hookie claims not to know what a Battered Sausage is.

Pull the other one George.

Lapin wrote: »
    And Hookie claims not to know what a Battered Sausage is.

Pull the other one George.

He spouts on about Jackie Lennox's in Bandon Road. They've been serving battered sausages in that place since Adam was a boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There's that. And the way the words 'battered' and 'sausage' kind of give it away too !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Sean Moncrieff's show has become almost a show for perverts! Vaginas, semen, anecdotes such as the one about the guy who put his penis in his friend's
    cocktail!!! - used to like the show but it must have a new producer as Jonathan
    McCrea was on yesterday and Fionn Davenport today, and it was more of the
    same! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Sean Moncrieff's show has become almost a show for perverts! Vaginas, semen, anecdotes such as the one about the guy who put his penis in his friend's
    cocktail!!! - used to like the show but it must have a new producer as Jonathan
    McCrea was on yesterday and Fionn Davenport today, and it was more of the
    same! :(

i find that too. i listen to it at work all the time, and dealing with the public in a quiet environment, i've had to turn the radio down so many times recently. especially if kids are around too.

It's fairly clear at this stage that Henry is being used as a gom. In all his years at Newstalk, he's yet to get himself his own programme. He's a poor man's Paddy O'Gorman, and that's saying something.

Cannot like Henry McKean since he said on IrelandAM with Anton Savage that he thought Garda Commissioner Callinan was 'wonderful' after his appearance before
    the PAC when he had described what the whistleblowers had done as 'disgusting'!

i find that too. i listen to it at work all the time, and dealing with the public in a quiet environment, i've had to turn the radio down so many times recently. especially if kids are around too.

Whew! Was not too sure if anyone would agree with me but it had to be said!
    I have felt compelled to change the dial away from Newstalk far too often
    recently during Moncrieff's show. Wanted to listen to Jonathan McCrea
    yesterday but when he started talking to a woman about her husband's
    semen, not even Jonathan's sexy tones could stop me from reaching for
    the dial!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Regina defending Shatter to the hilt.
    Depressing.

Wouldn't mind hearing from Lucinda Creighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Shocking stuff from FG.
    Regina Doherty spinning like mad.
    Ugh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement