Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to be honest, im enjoying the ivan/shane dynamic.

i guess thats to be expected though considering the FG/FF leanings of the guys.

feels alot more natural on the banter front than with chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

have to be honest, im enjoying the ivan/shane dynamic.

i guess thats to be expected though considering the FG/FF leanings of the guys.

feels alot more natural on the banter front than with chris.

I'd agree with that, also Shane has an interest and knowledge of sport which also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Where is Chris this week?
    Getting elocution lessons to emphasise his 't's' more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gone on his sabbatical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Gone on his sabbatical.

Don't blame him. I'd need one if I had to talk to that clown Yates five mornings a week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd agree with that, also Shane has an interest and knowledge of sport which also helps.

Oh great, why don't they call it SportTalk altogether. Not only do they have a dedicated show in the evenings and a dedicated section on the Breakfast show they have to keep yammering on about whatever Liverpool United game was on.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't like Coleman in print, but I've always found him good when on radio. I mistrust, though, someone who is said to have "an encyclopedic knowledge" of something, but whom it doesn't seem to fit - it suggests a geek rather than an intellectual!

Here's a very positive assessment of the Newstalk Breakfast Show in yesterday's Sindo: Only truly great have the Crick Factor. My response to it is in the comment section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

It was a good change to not have to listen to Chris whinging about something that hurt his feelings or him trying to jump on the PC bandwagon about something. Also no Usheen reading the sport was a plus with his......overlly........dramatic........ pauses......all.....the......time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Christ, that "tech" bird is a serious dose

Compounded by the fact that it's only herself and jabba talking s*it. Never before has a bigger case of the blind leading the blind been broadcast on Irish radio.

She keeps talking about 'transporting' data. She could easily pass for Chris's sister or girlfriend, or from what I know of chris it could very well be both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

George Hook cannot debate. Michael Graham takes him apart, week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like Coleman's show at the weekend, but can't stand him on Breakfast. Really hope this isn't a permanent arrangement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I like Coleman's show at the weekend, but can't stand him on Breakfast. Really hope this isn't a permanent arrangement.

He's too staunch fianna fail for my liking.

Ivan mentioned this morning that the catholic church had paid only a Fraction of the compensation to the victims of child sex abuse, in comparison to what the state has paid.

Coleman moved to another subject straight away, without even commenting. He couldn't have Ivan mentioning that it was hes beloved fianna fail that done the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

He's too staunch fianna fail for my liking.

Ivan mentioned this morning that the catholic church had paid only a Fraction of the compensation to the victims of child sex abuse, in comparison to what the state has paid.

Coleman moved to another subject straight away, without even commenting. He couldn't have Ivan mentioning that it was hes beloved fianna fail that done the deal!

He wouldn't have anything said against the Catholic Church either.

That's the second day in a row I've heard niall Collins handed he's arse on a plate. Typical of he's party and himself. Lots of talk, but afraid to say anything of worth!

Scared shirtless to criticise the ex garda commissioner. What a party of bluffers.

Newstalk is like fianna fail FM this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

That's the second day in a row I've heard niall Collins handed he's arse on a plate. Typical of he's party and himself. Lots of talk, but afraid to say anything of worth!

Scared shirtless to criticise the ex garda commissioner. What a party of bluffers.

Newstalk is like fianna fail FM this morning

Couldn't agree with you more, Matt Cooper absolutely annihilated him last night. I'm afraid the regeneration of FF will not happen if this is the best they have, Dara Colleary is not much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks I think we need to think about closing this thread and moving away from big threads such as this especially for a national station like Newstalk.

Can we move to separate threads for the different shows and discussions?

Let me know what you think..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

bbability wrote: »
    Folks I think we need to think about closing this thread and moving away from big threads such as this especially for a national station like Newstalk.

Can we move to separate threads for the different shows and discussions?

Let me know what you think..

Looking at this thread I think it's mostly an "Anti-Chris Donoghue" thread anyway so why not just set up another thread for that!!! :D :P

In all seriousness though, I think keeping a general Newstalk thread is a better option but if you feel that it takes away from other, more specific, Newstalk threads then I can see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I reckon a thread for the station is fine.

Foe whatever that's worth. There are already OTB and PK threads, aren't there?

Although, a Moncrieff one could be worth a go!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I reckon a thread for the station is fine.

Although, a Moncrieff one could be worth a go!

Ah that would just be full of people complaining that he says eh a lot and talks to too many Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ah that would just be full of people complaining that he says eh a lot and talks to too many Americans.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055689113&page=6

nah, it's just one person really!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

But if this thread closes, he'll have no place to post the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Just saw that new thread now

18 min gone and no mention of lasagne from Paulo..............can he do it !

Alas the knife steel got a mention:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

George Hook calling yer man Dr "Merkin" :D

Why do OTB do these outside broadcasts? Its almost impossible to listen to with the amount of background noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

Why do OTB do these outside broadcasts? Its almost impossible to listen to with the amount of background noise!

It's particularly bad tonight.

The audience don't sound too interested - cheering is halfhearted and chatter in the background is incessant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

has any guest ever cursed as much in an interview on otb? a bit full of himself with all his trash talk

Beanmonkey wrote: »
    It's particularly bad tonight.

The audience don't sound too interested - cheering is halfhearted and chatter in the background is incessant.

Why do they go to these things, and then just chat to themselves?

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    has any guest ever cursed as much in an interview on otb? a bit full of himself with all his trash talk

Like a school kid, when he got away with it once and got a cheer from his fan club the flood gates opened up.

Never have I disliked a sportsperson as much as this fella. He seems thick as two planks and just an all round arsehole. This isn't Irish begrudgery, just pure dislike for a very overrated and unpleasant person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

Like a school kid, when he got away with it once and got a cheer from his fan club the flood gates opened up.

Never have I disliked a sportsperson as much as this fella. He seems thick as two planks and just an all round arsehole. This isn't Irish begrudgery, just pure dislike for a very overrated and unpleasant person.

Who was it?

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Who was it?

Conor mcgregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha, burst out laughing there.

George: "St James' Park in London...first time I ever kissed a girl on a park bench"

Dr Ciara (is it?): "I'm surprised there isn't a plaque..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

jesus, healy is unbearable. can't tell if he's hamming up the whole cork act but his self righteousness is unrelenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Leftist wrote: »
    jesus, healy is unbearable. can't tell if he's hamming up the whole cork act but his self righteousness is unrelenting.

Cork and self-righteousness...nope, nothing being hammed up there at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Leftist wrote: »

Well, you know.... Cork self-righteousness? Best self-righteousness in the world.

(With apologies to an ad for Heinz tomato ketchup, I think)

BTW, can Healy go a show without a name-check for Miceal Martin. Today he brought him, gratuitously enough, into ani nterview with Bruton the Younger about the merger of the NCA and the Competition Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Healy is not even from cork! I think he's from Galway originally but wants to hammer home that he's from cork when he's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Billy Keane just on now is starting to put me off shopping locally.

Rather than dismissing the stock the big supermarkets carry as 'things we want but don't need' why doesn't he stock it himself, compete with them, and keep up with the times.

And complaining about the increase in internet shopping will get him nowhere because it's here to stay. He say's you can't buy a pint of milk over the internet.

Eh ? Yes you can. And have it delivered to your door.

Lapin wrote: »
    Billy Keane just on now is starting to put me off shopping locally.

Rather than dismissing the stock the big supermarkets carry as 'things we want but don't need' why doesn't he stock it himself, compete with them, and keep up with the times.

And complaining about the increase in internet shopping will get him nowhere because it's here to stay. He say's you can't buy a pint of milk over the internet.

Eh ? Yes you can. And have it delivered to your door.

Billy Keane from Listowel?

Billy that gave up being a solicitor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Billy Keane from Listowel?

Billy that gave up being a solicitor!

Twas a Billy Keane from Listowel alrite.

Not sure about the second bit.

But sure there's a clatter of them Keanes below in Listowel.

• Advertisement

Yep that's Billy alright, still living off the fathers name!

Yep that's Billy alright, still living off the fathers name!

tara duggan is in for moncrieff today. looks like i'll be listening to 5 live for the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

It's pretty dire alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

tara duggan is in for moncrieff today. looks like i'll be listening to 5 live for the afternoon.

My god what an awful awful choice. It's moments like this that I'm so very thankful that I don't listen to the radio during the day any more because of the new job.

Seriously though, I'd love to meet who ever let her take over that slot so I could ask them what they're smoking. I'd say you'd want to stay away from it anyway whatever it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Sounds like it was fun! I might check out the podcast. Any particular highlights?

Sounds like it was fun! I might check out the podcast. Any particular highlights?

saw that on twitter earlier alright, but it was just newstalk staff being retweeted. listened to about 5 minutes but couldn't hack it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

She's a bore when she reads the news. As a presenter .....jaysus wept !!!

Where was McCrea or Davenport? both of those usually do a decent job of filling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sir Chops wrote: »
    She's a bore when she reads the news. As a presenter .....jaysus wept !!!
    I think she has a good voice for news-reading ... however, the qualitities that make her a god news reader (clear, sharp voice) make her a bad presenter IMO (that sharpness can be grating).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement