Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Where was McCrea or Davenport? both of those usually do a decent job of filling in.

McCrea, yes.

Davenport, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

brooke 2 wrote: »

Davenport, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I know some people think he's smug, but he is at least listenable, I never listen to any bulletins Tara Duggan reads, her voice goes through my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I know some people think he's smug, but he is at least listenable, I never listen to any bulletins Tara Duggan reads, her voice goes through my head.

Love his travel slots they are really informative, i also think he handles fluff really well but when it comes to harder issues he is crap. Before his program ended i remember he had some feminist on who wrote an article in the time having a go at men in general and he didnt add anything to the conversation just gave her a platform to spout more crap.

Would agree however that a program like Moncrief he probably does much better as its really light, as opposed to the right hook which is much more harder topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I agree about Davenport. I find him inoffensive. There's another guy whom I find smug/arrogant/superior: I think his name is Dave McIntyre, the guy from OTB who is sometimes on George Hook's show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the was one time a couple of years ago when fionn davenport really must've been just navel gazing in the office, when moncreiff was doing movies and booze from galway. anyway, something happened and nothing was transmitted from galway, so davenport took over with no notice and actually did an excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Heard Yates and Coleman this morning for the first time. They were debating the SKY deal for the GAA and, to me at least, there seemed to be a genuine dislike of each other. Anyone else getting that from them?

I hate when he does his history slot. His monotone almost sends me to sleep!

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Heard Yates and Coleman this morning for the first time. They were debating the SKY deal for the GAA and, to me at least, there seemed to be a genuine dislike of each other. Anyone else getting that from them?

Heard Yates say, one day last week, with exasperation in his voice:
    'Please come back, Chris!' :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd take his monotone over Duggan's far harsher delivery any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I don't like Davenport. I am a diehard Moncrieff fan so I just don't think Fionn does a good job with the often unusual and funny topics on the show.

I couldn't believe they got Tara Duggan to do it yesterday. They must have just looked around the office and tried to find anyone who wasn't busy!

I usually tune out when I realise Sean is off.

I'd take his monotone over Duggan's far harsher delivery any day.

I thought she came across as quite stressed yesterday. I could not believe it when
    she persisted in speaking to the woman on the phone when the line kept going down.
    She went back to her twice! The topic was only about texting!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ElleEm wrote: »
    I don't like Davenport. I am a diehard Moncrieff fan so I just don't think Fionn does a good job with the often unusual and funny topics on the show.

I couldn't believe they got Tara Duggan to do it yesterday. They must have just looked around the office and tried to find anyone who wasn't busy!

Have to agree with your top point to an extent, i think Fionn lacks the wicked and funny sense of humor that Sean has. Then again are their many that could fill Sean's spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Calhoun wrote: »
    Have to agree with your top point to an extent, i think Fionn lacks the wicked and funny sense of humor that Sean has. Then again are their many that could fill Sean's spot?

I know. He is so well rounded. He is really inquisitive and terrible bold all at the same time!

I thought she came across as quite stressed yesterday. I could not believe it when
    she persisted in speaking to the woman on the phone when the line kept going down.
    She went back to her twice! The topic was only about texting!! :(

If ya ever listen to her reading the news, she always sounds rushed and hurried which is why I never listen to her, She even sounded that way when she was a guest on Hook's show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Never been a huge Fionn fan, but i think that spot is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

If ya ever listen to her reading the news, she always sounds rushed and hurried which is why I never listen to her, She even sounded that way when she was a guest on Hook's show.

She takes the most ridiculous intake of breath between each news item as well. Does my head in!

Somewhat related, does anyone know who the bloke is that does the travel slot now on george Hooks show? (used to be Davenport). He's got a mad Irish name, but he's really good, a proper intrepid traveler. I think he may have a show on RTE television as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Heard Yates say, one day last week, with exasperation in his voice:
    'Please come back, Chris!' :)

I don't mind Chris but I actually think Coleman is pretty good. I know people have a pop at him here for his FF connections but he's better able for political interviews than Chris and I think is a good foil for Yates. The fact Coleman and Yates seriously disagree on stuff adds to it for me.

Thought he did a good job with Joan Burton this morning and kept steering her back to answer the question he asked when she tried just bullsh!tting him with waffle.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Never been a huge Fionn fan, but i think that spot is fantastic.

There is no one to compare with Patrick Geoghegan when it comes to history! :)

She takes the most ridiculous intake of breath between each news item as well. Does my head in!

Somewhat related, does anyone know who the bloke is that does the travel slot now on george Hooks show? (used to be Davenport). He's got a mad Irish name, but he's really good, a proper intrepid traveler. I think he may have a show on RTE television as well

Might be Pol Ó Conghaile. He is excellent.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I don't mind Chris but I actually think Coleman is pretty good. I know people have a pop at him here for his FF connections but he's better able for political interviews than Chris and I think is a good foil for Yates. The fact Coleman and Yates seriously disagree on stuff adds to it for me.

Thought he did a good job with Joan Burton this morning and kept steering her back to answer the question he asked when she tried just bullsh!tting him with waffle.

I love Shane Coleman when he is talking politics. He is really in his comfort zone there. He is not great at the small chat
    and rather pathetic at the repartis which is part and parcel of the morning show. Kind of feel sorry for him sometimes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Manchán Magan, he's always worth watching/listening to I find, not many in Irish media land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

parasite wrote: »
    Manchán Magan, he's always worth watching/listening to I find, not many in Irish media land

thats the bloke. Yeah, he's very impressive. Impressive CV too!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manch%C3%A1n_Magan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ElleEm wrote: »

I was arguing in another thread that Newstalk should be doing more to nurture talent from within rather than always looking to recruit celeb presenters but I'm starting to rethink that now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Duncan Stewart.

All I can say is Jesus Christ.

What a hissy fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just missed it, got a text to say tune in. What happened???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Man completely lost the plot . I had to turn off it was so cringe inducing.

Looks like he's trying to launch a political career to boot.

Stream it later if ya can hack it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

He made a complete clown of himself in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lapin wrote: »
    Duncan Stewart.

What a hissy fit.

I want more time I want more time and I'll cry and cry until I make myself sick and then cry again if you don't give me 10 whole minutes!!:D

He wasted lots of his allotted time by ranting and raving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Christ what is it with RTE? if you thought George Lee was bad...

Here it is. Starts at 8:00. You need to wait until the full bar loads before being able to skip forward.

Duncan - "Nothing's going to hold me back when I get to Europe...if I do go there"

Yates - "You have to get elected first"

Duncan - "That's a simple matter"

Yates - "Getting elected is a simple matter?"

Duncan - "For me it is be cause I know..." [starts another sentence]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Poor bugger is clearly radio rental, pun intended.

Don't know whether it was the header he took off the side of Chernobyl or the fall into Stephens Green pond which did it, but I'm tending towards one over the other.

In fairness only him and Wolverine have managed to do that and survive, so in his defence maybe he's an X-Man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

funny stuff :)

i like this lad...nothing like a delusional madcap gobs*ite to spice things up

Here it is. Starts at 8:00. You need to wait until the full bar loads before being able to skip forward.

Duncan - "Nothing's going to hold me back when I get to Europe...if I do go there"

Yates - "You have to get elected first"

Duncan - "That's a simple matter"

Yates - "Getting elected is a simple matter?"

Duncan - "For me it is be cause I know..." [starts another sentence]

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Heard that car crash rant this morning - looks even more hilarious than it sounded!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Heard that car crash rant this morning - looks even more hilarious than it sounded!!

Jesus - listening to it now. Cigarette holocaust denier farmers are to blame I think. That's what the science says.

chooooooooooooooooooooon!!!

charlie mcgettigan's late son shane used to play midfield for our school. we sang that song at half time at every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Lapin wrote: »
    Duncan Stewart.

What a hissy fit.
    If Duncan was hoping to launch a bid for a European seat, I'm afraid his chances blew up on the launch pad this morning. While I do believe that global warming is an important issue, I think he actually did harm to that argument. It would be difficult to take him seriously after this morning's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Man completely lost the plot . I had to turn off it was so cringe inducing.

Looks like he's trying to launch a political career to boot.

Stream it later if ya can hack it :D

Listen here:

http://www.newstalk.ie/We-are-putting-the-climate-out-of-balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Shane Coleman should have told Duncan to fook off when he started having a hissy fit, but I'm glad he didn't cos it was radio gold.

lol, Duncan what are you like. What a nut job.
    Ill vote for him.. He would fit right in in Brussels with the rest of them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That was possibly one of the funniest things I have heard on the radio so far this year.
    If he had been interviewed last Tuesday, people would have assumed it was an April Fool. He really has an overly-inflated opinion of himself.
    I had hoped that he'd expldoe when Yates had a bit of a swipe at him concerning using the show to publicise his European campaign but, unfortunately, he didn't rise to it.
    He managed to invoke Godwin's Law within one minute of the interview starting. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had hoped that he'd expldoe when Yates had a bit of a swipe at him concerning using the show to publicise his European campaign but, unfortunately, he didn't rise to it.

Yates doesn't suffer fools gladly. Coleman would have been happy to plamas the loon for the rest of the interview but Yates cut straight to the chase.

Coleman should have shown him the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

Heroditas wrote: »
    That was possibly one of the funniest things I have heard on the radio so far this year.
    If he had been interviewed last Tuesday, people would have assumed it was an April Fool. He really has an overly-inflated opinion of himself.
    He managed to invoke Godwin's Law within one minute of the interview starting. Impressive stuff.

Duncan is a very passionate and informed man and he is obviously concerned about a very real problem that will affect everyone in the world

Glebee wrote: »
    Coleman should have shown him the door.

Then we wouldn't have been treated to that car crash though! :D

Sir Chops wrote: »
    Duncan is a very passionate and informed man and he is obviously concerned about a very real problem that will affect everyone in the world

Being dogmatic is not the best way to persuade someone of his opinion, though. Global Warming/Climate Change is a fact. And, almost all reputable scientists believe that humans have made at least some contribution. There is a huge body of evidence backing that up. Rather than using it to persuade listeners, he dismissed anyone who disagrees as being akin to those who questioned the dangers of smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't know whether it was the header he took off the side of Chernobyl or the fall into Stephens Green pond which did it, but I'm tending towards one over the other.

In fairness only him and Wolverine have managed to do that and survive, so in his defence maybe he's an X-Man.

lol

Sir Chops wrote: »

it's one thing to be passionate and informed, but you'll get nowhere if you come across like an ar5e belittling anyone you're trying to teach about it.

it's one thing to be passionate and informed, but you'll get nowhere if you come across like an ar5e belittling anyone you're trying to teach about it.

Himself and John Gibbons would get on like a house on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Duncan must be the second worst candidate going into the Euro elections, after Ronan Mullen. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

Duncan must be the second worst candidate going into the Euro elections, after Ronan Mullen. :pac:

I'll vote for Duncan anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement