Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As long as you don't expect Prime Time levels of analysis I think his show is a decent listen.

I think people are giving Hook too hard a review here. He's says controversial / immature / flippant things to get a rise out of people... And I love the way he reads out the texts saying "George you fat, ignorant buffoon.. etc etc"... He brings colour to thing the like the way he does to sport.. What do you want another Mary Wilson... everything read off cue cards, choreographed to within and inch of it's politically correct life..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I think people are giving Hook too hard a review here. He's says controversial / immature / flippant things to get a rise out of people... And I love the way he reads out the texts saying "George you fat, ignorant buffoon.. etc etc"... He brings colour to thing the like the way he does to sport.. What do you want another Mary Wilson... everything read off cue cards, choreographed to within and inch of it's politically correct life..

Heard George read out one of those 'abusive' texts one day when he had a certain
    guest on the programme who seemed appalled at its ferocity. After a shocked
    silence, he spluttered to George that he should have never read out that message!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

What do you want another Mary Wilson... everything read off cue cards, choreographed to within and inch of it's politically correct life..
    I don't like George Hook but you're right about this. The kind of presenter that has all the questions written down and will ask them, even if the guest has previously answered it in response to a previous question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

as if it wasn't bad enough listening to chris all through the winter telling us to take it easy on the roads because of frost and rain we now have to endure him telling us to wear sunscreen and not use inflatable devices in the water whilst on the beach throughout the summer. could someone tell him its not blue peter he's presenting, its a current affairs news programme for adults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pretty sexy tv ad NY have got going at the moment, although female presenters seem to take up a suspiciously high proportion of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Had to laugh at the MW bit. Possibly the most lifeless, boring presenter on radio. Pedantic and patronising. Give me Hook any time of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The arrogance of the pushbike man on Breakfast:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He was dead right :D

It's the arrogance of Yates, the cheek of him complaining that cyclists should pay bike tax when he does a legger from his financial responsibilities and crying for the country folk getting delayed coming up the quays from Heuston.

Just listening to Ivan discussing Kim and Kanye's daughter North... Just wondering, when she releases her autobiography in about fifteen years time what will it be called.... "North" by North West..?

*retires from comedy*.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

Pretty sexy tv ad NY have got going at the moment, although female presenters seem to take up a suspiciously high proportion of it...

Any idea what the soundtrack is? I quite like it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Music critic man brings his one year old to a music festival and doesn't get to hear much of the music. That's a surprise :rolleyes:

I'm sure Emily O'Reilly will have plenty of time to put her feet up if she achieves her ultimate goal of getting the gig in the Phoenix Park.

Another good documentary on now why can't we have stuff like this on at a more reasonable hour of the day like they do on radio 4?

Another good documentary on now why can't we have stuff like this on at a more reasonable hour of the day like they do on radio 4?

What was it about.. The only documentaries I ever hear on Newstalk invariably have Henry McKean doing something "off the wall"..

What was it about.. The only documentaries I ever hear on Newstalk invariably have Henry McKean doing something "off the wall"..

Parents and grandparents talking about emigration

documentary every Saturday morning at 7am

I turn the radio off when the Tan McKean comes on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah usually theyre crap but i quite enjoyed that one.

(well apart from the blinding hangover i was suffering from at the time)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has Liveline moved to Newstalk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Briefly flicked over this morning to hear Ivan Yates expounding on 'Arcadia Fire'. He sure digs their groovy sound, Daddio!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fair play to Chris on Newstalk Breakfast for refusing to take any crap from the biggest bullshíter in the government yesterday morning.

Just heard the late night repeat and his grilling of Kathleen Lynch was to be applauded. If she thought she was in for an easy spin by getting Chris rather than Ivan, she certainly didn't think so afterwards.

Well done Chris. The man has gone up in my estimation and is proving more and more capable as time goes on of asking the tough questions and refusing to back down.

Kathleen Lynch has been a disasterous minister who has single handedly done more to destroy the lives of many people with mental illnesses than anyone else over the past 20 years. Her snooty I know best attitude was shown up yesterday morning.

The bitch hasn't a clue what the hell she at and should be hooked out of that department (and politics in general) before she causes more mayhem and suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Shane "political correctness" Coleman drives me mad.

• Advertisement

have to admit.

got a giggle out of them putting endas concepts of god and eternity to "the force" theme from star wars

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

As much as I hate to admit it, hook on a Friday evening usually brings a smile to my face.

I wasn't referring to today's show, just in general. Bit yea I enjoy hook on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Glebee wrote: »
    As much as I hate to admit it, hook on a Friday evening usually brings a smile to my face.

Seems like real marmite radio. Personally, I despise it. It gives George a platform, even more than his regular show, to spout the most ridiculous, senile, ignorant nonsense (like suggesting that economist Thomas Piketty was "dangerous", before equating his assertions on wealth distribution to fascist propaganda in the 1930s. All this in spite of the fact he appearantly never of heard of Piketty, let alone read his work, before that day). Shane Coleman, when he's not talking politics, seems to be there just to get annoyed at George. He always seems to be waiting for some opportunity to demonstrate his knowledge of obscure by-election results in the 1950s. He's a bore. But I could handle these two if McIntyre and Kelly were dropped or replaced. Dr. Kelly's shortcomings as a contributor have been duly noted by other posters here. And as bad as she is, nobody annoys me more than McIntyre. I always thought Newstalk had a bit of a problem with their presenter's voices - Chris Donoghue's ridiculous over-pronunciations, Fionn Davenports smarmy, condescending tone, and Marc Coleman's DISGUSTING spluttering and hacking. But McIntyre's insipid, whiney voice is the worst. How the hell did he ever get on radio? When he's not sounding like a monotone streak of misery, he's bellowing out match reports like a cow in heat in a vain attempt to convey excitement. And in terms of his bit on the Friday show, he makes Coleman look like party animal by comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tell us how you really feel!

Cripes. Who's presenting the Sunday Show today?

What does doddeyeee mean? Pronunciation please!

Anecdohddle? Properdy?

It's wall to wall American ladies on the Sunday Show today. Or should this be 'totay'? (Just giving the 't's a fair crack of the whip!)

Todal?

Aha. I'm listening to Dara Tuggan on Spin FM! :pac:

risteard7 wrote: »
    Shane "political correctness" Coleman drives me mad.
    I miss Shane Coleman this morning. I'm not much enjoying Dara Duggan and her mispronouncing guests (now she's talking about Facebook and personal dada).

• Advertisement

Christ, the guest is from the journaldodd-eye-ee.

It's 11:30 and I'm oudda The Suntay Shew with Dara Duggan. I cannae take it any more Captain.

McDave wrote: »
    I miss Shane Coleman this morning. I'm not much enjoying Dara Duggan and her mispronouncing guests (now she's talking about Facebook and personal dada).

It's weird I'm contradicting myself now, I actually like Shane Coleman presenting. I feel he just sits on the fence and tries to be the nice guy, afraid to give an honest opinion. Hook pulled him up on it a few weeks ago.

It's weird I'm contradicting myself now, I actually like Shane Coleman presenting. I feel he just sits on the fence and tries to be the nice guy, afraid to give an honest opinion. Hook pulled him up on it a few weeks ago.

I agree with you completely.. Shane Coleman is a great presenter.. but I think the fact that he sits on the fence is what helps to make him a great presenter. He facilitates bringing the best out of the other guests with his ability to ask the right questions, without fear or favor... He doesnt dominate the conversation, or push his own agenda with loaded questions like Joe Duffy or Marc Coleman.

He's got a bit of the young fogey thing, without Tubridy's need to overproject.

He does give his opinion on the Cultural Toolbox offerings, most of which he hates (I'm usually with him too!)

I agree with you completely.. Shane Coleman is a great presenter.. but I think the fact that he sits on the fence is what helps to make him a great presenter. He facilitates bringing the best out of the other guests with his ability to ask the right questions, without fear or favor... He doesnt dominate the conversation, or push his own agenda with loaded questions like Joe Duffy or Marc Coleman.
    ... or Tara Duggan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tara Duggan God help us, even don't like her banter with Moncrieff, glad I haven't caught her presenting any full shows, listening to her read the news is bad enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

It's like we've gone back 15-20 years listening to this segment on nutrition.

vidor wrote: »
    It's like we've gone back 15-20 years listening to this segment on nutrition.

Was thinking the same thing, my trolling text request for advice on sorting out my c-cup man tits went ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Could we set up a fund raiser to get Ian Guider some elocution lessons. His "Tree tousand and turteen" is awful to listen to.
    And could someone start a campaign to get rid of that Gaeilge Gasta nonsense?

"Debbie Harry was Blondie in Blondie".

Well done George. Absolutely inspired.

hooky-6-630x489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

He's such a spoofer... I stopped listening after he claimed he was a big fan of Frankie Goes To Hollywood... In the sixties!!

• Advertisement

Robdundalk wrote: »
    He's such a spoofer... I stopped listening after he claimed he was a big fan of Frankie Goes To Hollywood... In the sixties!!

Georgie boy remembers it the first time round, when Frank Sinatra actually went to Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

142 swaparge...wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Just heard Sean read out word for word a text sent to Pat Kenny yesterday morning. Interesting I wonder how often they do that.

142 swaparge...wtf

fecking annoying that ad isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Have to agree that ad does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

As does that whole 'health warning' line they come out with. Wtf is that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Ugh, the Arthur's Day cancelled... I can just imagine the self-congratulatory crap from Johnathan Healy already. Does anyone else find it amusing to hear one man constantly refer to himself as "Lunchtime"? God be with the days when I thought nothing could be worse than Eamon Keane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Johnathan Healy in for Pat Kenny for the next 5 programmes :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Layinghen wrote: »
    Johnathan Healy in for Pat Kenny for the next 5 programmes :eek:

Kenny on holidays again?

Does he think he's still in RTE?

Henry and his old dear on again...bit of an Oedipus complex going on there.

I'd take his daily street junkie time interviews over this any day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement