Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

nothing new in that.

he was at the same when i stopped listening about 5 years back. he hides it better than most broadcasters, but he's deeply entrenched in his own world view and is completely intolerant of those that challenge it.

prevailing attitudes like that are why our media are so woeful at coping on to whats going on in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do Newstalk always put NPR stuff in Talking History's old slot on a Sunday? Learned a lot from fake accent yanks about aliens and the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Right Hook never pretended to be a neutral show, everyone should know at this stage Hooks ideologies drive it.

That infuriating right wing Yank he has on it grinds my gears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Michael Graham? Puerile. Dipstick on a pig. A total waste of air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He was exceptionally annoying today during the 'debate' on climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

I wonder what has happened to the technology slot on TRH? Last week they said that they got holidays mixed up, this week we're told that the slot will be used to cover the budget, something must have happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Do Newstalk always put NPR stuff in Talking History's old slot on a Sunday? Learned a lot from fake accent yanks about aliens and the universe.

Is that the TED Talks program? I listened to the first one, but got pissed off at the sound of the presenters voice and the irritatingly loud and distracting music stings interrupting the documentary.

For all we like to diss RTE, they manage to do documentaries without all the bells and whistles (literally) and just let the story they're telling stand for itself.

McDave wrote: »
    Michael Graham? Puerile. Dipstick on a pig. A total waste of air.

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with a (very) small portion of what Cal Thomas comes out with, but Graham is a complete tw*t purely stuck in there for controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Diarmuid Gavin on PK today.........gggrrrrrrrrr!! :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

I8A4RE wrote: »
    I wonder what has happened to the technology slot on TRH? Last week they said that they got holidays mixed up, this week we're told that the slot will be used to cover the budget, something must have happened...

The bit where they talk about the multiple phones they own for 20 minutes? I could live without it. They could easily have it as a once-a-month thing. In fairness to the guys presenting it, it's a difficult segment with Hook and his constant interruptions and the way he makes a virtue of being hopelessly out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Sean Moncrieff interviewing Stephen Donnelly - again! Am I the only one who finds Donnelly insufferably pompous/populist?? Granted he sometimes speaks a lot of sense but have to say I loved Pat Rabbitte's putdown that, basically, Stephen Donnelly
    would not know hard work if it jumped up and bit him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Sean Moncrieff interviewing Stephen Donnelly - again! Am I the only one who finds Donnelly insufferably pompous/populist?? Granted he sometimes speaks a lot of sense but have to say I loved Pat Rabbitte's putdown that, basically, Stephen Donnelly
    would not know hard work if it jumped up and bit him!!

Well i am not sure of Donnelly's record but he supposedly has some credentials in the whole international banking/IMFish area. Wasn't that what got him elected?

Rabbite on the other hand wouldnt be in a position to throw stones, as far as pompous asses go he showed his colours when he held his ministry.

Rabbite is very good for comebacks....and u-turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He was exceptionally annoying today during the 'debate' on climate change.

Agree with you there, I had to turn off...awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Unless you're interested in agriculture, this whole week on Newstalk is a write off. Every few minutes there's a feature on someone sticking their hand up a cow's arse. Is there really any need for so many of the shows to be live from "the ploughing"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Unless you're interested in agriculture, this whole week on Newstalk is a write off. Every few minutes there's a feature on someone sticking their hand up a cow's arse. Is there really any need for so many of the shows to be live from "the ploughing"?

Ah here, if you didn't enjoy the 10 minute piece on extracting semen from bulls, you're clearly dead inside. :pac:

Think it's a tradition at this stage, to come out from the big Shmoke and 'get down' with the country cousins.
    There's a whole love-in around the Electrician's Picnic or whatever it is as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

The bit where they talk about the multiple phones they own for 20 minutes? I could live without it. They could easily have it as a once-a-month thing. In fairness to the guys presenting it, it's a difficult segment with Hook and his constant interruptions and the way he makes a virtue of being hopelessly out of touch.

Yep. Technology = Phones or, on a good day, phones and tablets.
    It's beyond dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's the 3 days of moaning and the woe is me that annoys me. I much prefer the pieces on agriculture ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Calhoun wrote: »
    international banking/IMFish area

I mistakenly read that initially as IM Fish. I was wondering what fish and international banking had in common :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Meathlass wrote: »
    I mistakenly read that initially as IM Fish. I was wondering what fish and international banking had in common :confused:

It's part of the technology section, the fish are Instant Messaging each other. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

(anti) social housing - the item on the lips of every bleeding heart, tax-and-spend liberal. Is this a topic that matters to the typical ploughing championship rural voter, or is "Johno" following his own agenda as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this fella that does the 'sin sin' segment at the end of moncrieff's show is one uninspiring dude. he's trying to advertise how great it is in the mayo gaeltacht for holidays and that, but the monotonous drone makes it sound like he's at a funeral.

this fella that does the 'sin sin' segment at the end of moncrieff's show is one uninspiring dude. he's trying to advertise how great it is in the mayo gaeltacht for holidays and that, but the monotonous drone makes it sound like he's at a funeral.

Thought it was some sort of new-age poetry....all those years 'learning' Irish and I can just about ask permission to use the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What is with the shagging 'Ploughing Championship' - we all know it's on but why do Newstalk, Today FM and RTE all have to broadcast from there all day, every day...Jeez it's hard enough to listen to any 'news' radio station these days between piss-poor broadcasters and ****e advertising without the addition of this minority activity being shoved down our throats. :mad:

Heh, minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with a (very) small portion of what Cal Thomas comes out with, but Graham is a complete tw*t purely stuck in there for controversy.
    No problem with diverse views, but Graham is a knee-jerk loudmouth on autopilot. What's the point in wasting money and airtime on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

He's very funny, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Graham is only on to show George in a good light... And as for the INM love-in that is the Thomas Molloy business segment.... "Group Business Editor" indeed....how lucky we are to be able to listen to him/them...

What is with the shagging 'Ploughing Championship' - we all know it's on but why do Newstalk, Today FM and RTE all have to broadcast from there all day, every day...Jeez it's hard enough to listen to any 'news' radio station these days between piss-poor broadcasters and ****e advertising without the addition of this minority activity being shoved down our throats. :mad:

Minority activity, that's rich coming from a railway enthusiast :). Gives the non-Dublin 4 people a voice. It's not all about the ploughing. Most people attending don't even watch the actual ploughing match.

Bear with it. Today's the last day.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Minority activity, that's rich coming from a railway enthusiast :). Gives the non-Dublin 4 people a voice. It's not all about the ploughing. Most people attending don't even watch the actual ploughing match.

Bear with it. Today's the last day.:D

I'm non-D4 and I have absolutely zero interest it either. Not all Dubs are "D4".

Seriously though, I don't think Judgement Day appreciates actually how big the championships are. It really has snowballed in the last few years.
    It's like Cheltenham for farmers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well, the 'minority' jibe was in jest really but it's the bandwagon approach taken by the broadcasters that annoys me. As for being a railway enthusiast....an ex.railway enthusiast - please!

Well, the 'minority' jibe was in jest really but it's the bandwagon approach taken by the broadcasters that annoys me. As for being a railway enthusiast....an ex.railway enthusiast - please!

Oh it's definite bandwagon stuff, but tbh they can't exactly NOT go. you're talking 80,000 people a day up there. That's a lot of people to hand out pens with your logo on to, and for minimal cost.

Don't worry about it though, you won't have to hear about agriculture until next September again when the cycle repeats. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

George Hook has a lovely cuddly giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Amanda Brunker on Moncrieff show again. Huh? Really? This is what Newstalk think I want to hear on my lunch hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Amanda Brunker on Moncrieff show again. Huh? Really? This is what Newstalk think I want to hear on my lunch hour?

Can't stand the woman don't understand why she is left near the print or radio/TV media outlets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I love when Chris gets edged out of the banter and wades back in loudly with the time of the programme, or the current time.

What a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Bobby Kerr just talking about the "Hen Sang" index on Newstalk Breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Robert2012 wrote: »
    Bobby Kerr just talking about the "Hen Sang" index on Newstalk Breakfast

I thought they were repeating his weekend business show at 6.30 for some reason but presumably he was doing the actual business news? Not a fan but fair play to him for mucking in at such an hour I suppose...

Up to the minute, seems like UCC economist Coffey is the only guy in the country who understands the Apple tax thing, he was on NT a minute ago and now he's on R1!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yates is making me really want to find a new morning station. This morning when Chris mentioned that there is 40% less wildlife worldwide in the last 30 years was met with a flippant "so what, lets talk about proper news" or soemthing to that effect.

He is trying far too hard to come across as the common man.

Chris taking the piss out of Yates' book this morning at around 8:40 was epic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh Yates didn't like that one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does George Hook not realise that Hilary Quinlan is a man? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pat Kenny previewing his show mentioning Apple and not even 10 seconds later revealing an iPad was a prize for some competition made my day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Jesus wept that was tough going, that insufferable hypocritical egotistical arrogant prick Fergus Finlay followed immediately by some jumped up pompous immigration council yoke with far too much time on her hands. both talking an exceptional amount of steaming s*ite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Kathleen Lynch evidently bet into a corner and thoroughly defeated pathetically attempts to defend the unjustifiable by resorting to a cry of sexism. She really is a despicible individual and an embarrassment to women.

Well done Chris and Ivan for refusing to let her away with that bullshít.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Elizabeth from IrishWater is very entertaining and knows her stuff

Bit of a coup for Pat there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bit of a coup for Pat there.
    What? (for those who were not listening)

snubbleste wrote: »
    What? (for those who were not listening)

He had a chat with John McNulty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement