Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just boiling the kettle for a cuppa and flicked on Sean O'Rourke and there was a travel spot - fecking Fionn Davenport - thought Newstalk had broken through. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what is it with the misery slots on lunchtime these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

what is it with the misery slots on lunchtime these days?

Was thinking just that on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It seems like Georgie boy's continuous cheerleading for Fine Gael might be finally over.

Did I hear Hook say that he's off on another holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Did I hear Hook say that he's off on another holiday?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Radio presenters should really teach workshops on contract negotiation. :P

The only that I can think is that Hook must have the goods on Denis O'Brien. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

McDave wrote: »
    No problem with diverse views, but Graham is a knee-jerk loudmouth on autopilot. What's the point in wasting money and airtime on him?

He's fairly tame in comparison to some US conservative talk hosts. I've always wondered how an Irish audience would react to somebody like Michael Savage or Mark Levin, I could see Savage in particular going through George like a freight train.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lapin wrote: »
    Kathleen Lynch evidently bet into a corner and thoroughly defeated pathetically attempts to defend the unjustifiable by resorting to a cry of sexism. She really is a despicible individual and an embarrassment to women.

Well done Chris and Ivan for refusing to let her away with that bullshít.

That shout of sexism by Kathleen Lynch was so blatant. Chris handled it very well.
    Just passed over it and did not engage with her on that particular comment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That shout of sexism by Kathleen Lynch was so blatant. Chris handled it very well.

When was that? Wednesday morning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How the hell did she get elected, she was clueless yesterday?

But then again that part of the country have been electing Micheal martin for decades!

How the hell did she get elected, she was clueless yesterday?

But then again that part of the country have been electing Micheal martin for decades!

Sexism concerns Mrs Lynch?
    She married a convicted murderer.
    Compartmentaliser I take it.

my friend wrote: »
    When was that? Wednesday morning?

Yes. She was pathetic. Shameless! :(

Yes. She was pathetic. Shameless! :(

Thanks, must check the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Sick of that ad for that film that everyone is endorsing. Weird and annoying way to promote it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Or "Jonathan" as she kept calling him. Yates interjected halfways through to emphasise that "You're listening to Newstalk Breakfast with Chris and Ivan."

I remember Kathleen Lynch when she was first campaigning for a seat on Cork Corporation about 30 years ago as we'd see her and her supporters from our schoolyard. We all though it was a great laugh. The laugh is now on us :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ivan not a bit happy with the book plugs for some reason. :confused:

Also, a weird thing I've noticed while taking a look at NT TV. Ivan stands during the show because of his back, but the screen he's looking at is left at desk level. Tut-tut-tut, how do health and safety let that slide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Also, a weird thing I've noticed while taking a look at NT TV. Ivan stands during the show because of his back, but the screen he's looking at is left at desk level. Tut-tut-tut, how do health and safety let that slide?

Yeah and I could never understand how he is a able to sit while filling in for Vincent Browne on TV3 during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

wnolan1992 wrote: »

think he on the late late tonight. probably cant say anything about it until tubs is finished with him.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Christ. Within one sentence, Victoria White was fighting with herself on the Sunday Sow. Much and all as I look forward to Shane Coleman, I switched straight over to Marion Finucane - for the first time ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did anyone catch that "drama" thing at 10 am? I heard the first 30 seconds of atrocious acting and fled.

Christ. Within one sentence, Victoria White was fighting with herself on the Sunday Sow. Much and all as I look forward to Shane Coleman, I switched straight over to Marion Finucane - for the first time ever!!!

Victoria White and hubby, Eamonn Ryan, have two of the most annoying voices
    in media. Imagine being in the same room with both of them! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Victoria White and hubby, Eamonn Ryan, have two of the most annoying voices
    in media. Imagine being in the same room with both of them! :(
    :pac:

Crumbs, there are certain voices that should simply not be on radio. White and Una Mullaly are two. Jonathan Healy and Bobby Kerr are two more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did anyone catch that "drama" thing at 10 am? I heard the first 30 seconds of atrocious acting and fled.

It made its debut at 7am Saturday morning

it sounded like an ad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyones internet stream down all morning ? Their android app is fine, but any of the streams on TuneIn on my internet radio time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

:pac:

Crumbs, there are certain voices that should simply not be on radio. White and Una Mullaly are two. Jonathan Healy and Bobby Kerr are two more.

Don't foget Mark Coleman. That guy should really take some Sudafed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

You can almost feel the contempt that pious Fergus Finlay has for Michael Graham... Michael should ask him about the 100 grand he gets from a children's charity..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You'd think Michael would be OK with someone in the private sector getting 100k a year, after all it's the will of the Glorious Free Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I thought it was going to be a real thing, such a stupid balls of a thing.Thats not a documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was that the weird murder in Hollywood yoke again? Looking forward to that on Christmas Day again. Assuming I don't catch it on the October Bank Holiday.

You can almost feel the contempt that pious Fergus Finlay has for Michael Graham... Michael should ask him about the 100 grand he gets from a children's charity..

+1

I'm amazed at either the energy of Fergus Finlay or the light demands on his time that his overpaid job at Barnardos appears to make on him - between his newspaper columns, endless appearances on chat shows and standing in for George Hook...some man for one man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I can't believe Eddie Hobbs is still around!

Meathlass wrote: »
    I can't believe Eddie Hobbs is still around!

Another chancer who hops from one bandwagon to another depending on which way the wind's blowing. I seem to remember him being an advocate of buying apartments in Bulgaria during the height of the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I noticed the news bulletins have become a bit more mad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Anyone else listen to the step-in for Ian Guider this week? I swear, he just presents the show up to about 6:50, and then has a ten minute ad break, after which the intro for Newstalk breakfast starts. It's fairly ridiculous!

I noticed the news bulletins have become a bit more mad.

they're bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The Day Todayish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Another chancer who hops from one bandwagon to another depending on which way the wind's blowing. I seem to remember him being an advocate of buying apartments in Bulgaria during the height of the Celtic Tiger.

He's back on the airwaves with a bang and advertising that you can email him as he's offering a free wealth preservation report, expect to be cold called by a bunch of clowns with thick cork accents for the rest of your days if you get this pile of sh*te report. Noonan should get his hands on one and follow the exact polar opposite of whatever it advises and the country will be flying again. The is a complete clown.

I was going to say it's funny the way these con artists and chancers are crawling out from under their rocks again now that there's some turnaround in the economy, but it's not funny, it's fierce depressing that we'll have to endure not only the likes of these muppets, but these exact muppets all over again.

Given that Newstalk and Today FM are both owned by Denis O'Brien you would think they would share news stories - in particular foreign ones - but yesterday the two stations coverage of the Ebola outbreak were markedly different. Newtalk referred to 3 people in Spain being quarantined whereas at exactly the same time Today FM were saying dozens of people had been. Sure what does it matter anyway - all they need to do is add background music to the news bulletins like ****ing Beat 102/103 to complete the 1970s Pirate sound of their mickey mouse radio stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Communicorp has at least two different news teams with different editors, though i thought those stations used the same one. The 'youth' stations use the other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

they're bloody ridiculous.

Agree, ridiculous, "statment, quote, info", thats what its turned into, watered down news info/headlines, very shoddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hate the way the political panel is reduced to sound bites and no decent discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

This woman now on PK is seriously impressive. I can't believe how she can hold herself together following the death of her 2 children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Meathlass wrote: »
    This woman now on PK is seriously impressive. I can't believe how she can hold herself together following the death of her 2 children.

I would not be able to get out of the bed if that happened to my kids

the male v female stories on moncreiff are getting a bit much today. usually one a day i can handle, but every story so far is gender conflict based.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Jesus, these Happy Pear guys seem to be everywhere now doing the hard sell on their book - Brendan O Connor, Ray D'Arcy, Newstalk Breakfast. I'm expecting them to pop up between Golden Memories and the Obituaries on Tipp Mid any minute. This kind of over-exposure has made resolve not to buy their bloody book, even as a present for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Jesus, these Happy Pear guys seem to be everywhere now doing the hard sell on their book - Brendan O Connor, Ray D'Arcy, Newstalk Breakfast. I'm expecting them to pop up between Golden Memories and the Obituaries on Tipp Mid any minute. This kind of over-exposure has made resolve not to buy their bloody book, even as a present for someone else.

i think they leap at any sort of media exposure and pop up every once in a while as some sort of demi gods on fruit and veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Muppets on with new cookbooks every second day now, it's really getting tedious.

People stuffing their faces on air is really poor radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Profound"..

*takes a drink*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement