Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

^^^ Kenny was dead right there.

The person who sent in that text must have little for doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lapin wrote: »

It could have been me. I find Pat Kenny one of the most boring, condescending, jumped-up disc jockeys on the airwaves - and those are some of his best attributes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

have to agree Lapin.

he lost his temper reading an insulting, personal message nobody should have to listen to.

Whereas Sean Moncrieff takes personally criticism which is not personal, and he makes it awkward.

If someone criticises my work, esp a client, i make a point of inviting them into another room to see what we can do. But personal attacks are just not on. I don't blame pat one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Good on Kenny for reading out the offending text and characterising him/her as 'scum'. Too many useless wasters use cover of relative anonymity to pour scorn on others, or put across harsh or extremist views with impunity. Not to mention out and out trolling and flaming on wider social media.

I've nothing against the odd come-uppance, so long as presenters and journalists don't use it as a pretext for more generalised shock jock broadcasting.

have to agree Lapin.

he lost his temper reading an insulting, personal message nobody should have to listen to.
    I thought Kenny was very temperate, at least in the linked youtube clip. Did he go on at length afterwards?

Crumbs. Una Mullaly on the Sunday Show. Straight over to Lyric for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McDave wrote: »
    I thought Kenny was very temperate, at least in the linked youtube clip.

There was a touch of the Alan Partridges though you'd have to admit. As there was in this incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That Fardy fella is a pretentious git.

That Fardy fella is a pretentious git.
    Loves the sound of his own voice.

I thought that slot was supposed to be ending a couple of months ago. They even announced it on the show IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

There was a touch of the Alan Partridges though you'd have to admit. As there was in this incident.

Yeh, and how did he manage shake free of his old, as he might say himself, soubriquet of The Plank? For me he's way more bland than he was on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just listened back there, the texter he called a bigoted homophobe/racist had texted in to congraulate an English taxi firm for providing white drivers on request and it must really wind up Mon "liberal-lefty" crieff and his liberal lefty gay pal, so as Foxtrot said he got what he deserved

It's at 9:30 here
    www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/8/13702/22nd_October_2014_-_Moncrieff_Part_2

Fair play to Moncrief there. I thought he was very level in his criticism and didn't make it personal. Also, I was expecting him to resort to his usual sarcastic baby voice comments. The texter deserved everything that Moncrief aimed at him.
    Much better than many of his other comebacks.

As for Pat - ah good old Pat! I wouldn't expect anything less. :D

The irony of listening to an ex-Fianna Fáil minister, now wearing his UNICEF hat, preaching about child poverty in this country.

What a fcuking brass neck :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The irony of listening to an ex-Fianna Fáil minister, now wearing his UNICEF hat, preaching about child poverty in this country.

Fiannafailzheimers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

FFS the stream is a joke this morning .

im having to refresh it every 20min or so to get a live feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Same here - stream all over the place.

It's David Quinns sky god telling us all how to die and punishing us sinners and our technology...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hook has all but retired at this stage, Shane Coleman seems to be in every second day.

It's more than irony, I'm afraid. More like rancid hypocrisy.

The smug, jaded knowingness of Ger Gilroy p*ssed me off a long time ago before Eoin McD rightly replaced him.

Nowadays it really bugs me to listen to him, and Dave McIntyre who I generally like was not really arguing competently on the Steven Gerard issue today, albeit he was outnumbered. I was listening but became increasingly agitated over my Saturday brunch of scrambled eggs, streaky bacon and soft roll with copious butter, washed down with strong, sugary Barry's tea (yum).

Gilroy and his colleague b*tch were arguing that Gerrrard thinks "I'm a big, explosive player who only scores extraordinary goals and doesn't want to be a team player", i.e. they were attributing Gerrard with their own biases and perceptions of what the guy actually thinks, on to him, while ignoring the possibility that he might be an actual human being, with all the flaws, nuances and complications that entails.

Then, when McIntyre begged to differ they accused him of trying to read Gerrard's mind, but in the standard Gilroy condescending Gay Byrne style tone. Pot, kettle and black are a starting point, but I would think of many other issues I'd like to raise with the non-McIntyre members of the Sports coverage.

OK, I've waited to get very drunk before commenting, but that doesn't invalidate my opinions just because it's after 2am on a Sat night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heard that earlier. Bordered on trolling for text responses. Similar discussions on Wenger and Kompany.

Don't think it was McIntyre, though. Nathan something and Adrian Barry were the others, i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think Ger is now top dog again and he's probably loving . I mean he tried in most slots to fit in and id say he was fit for the scrapheap until the boys left.

Not only did he take over for OTB he brought a 7 day format, so id say there is a case of his way or the highway going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Calhoun wrote: »
    Not only did he take over for OTB he brought a 7 day format, so id say there is a case of his way or the highway going on.
    Personally, I am preferring it these days to the last year or so of mcdevitt and co. I am certainly listening to it live more - I was pretty much using podcasts and "listen back", to skip through all the banter before they left. I think the current team have the slagging v serious balance much better than 2nd captains tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nathan Murphy took the TY Radio approach to fake arguing alright. He just tries way too hard. Gilroy debating amongst his production crew in the style of "lads in the pub having the craic" is so bad it has to be heard to be believed. I don't mind them otherwise but they're like robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

The lads-in-the-pub stuff mentioned above is pitiful. I can never stay tuned in for more than a few minutes. Kerrr-azzzy Kolm Parkinson (their go-to guy for knee-slappingly 'hilarious' stupidity) is the absolute pits, one the worst people to ever grace the airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

caught some of the start of mark coleman last night and he wasnt coughing and spluttering down the airwaves for a change. In fact he sounded very composed and vocal. He had a good go at some anti austerity councilor or td who wouldnt answer a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

David Mitchell on Moncrieff now - very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tapit54

Looks like the weekly Technology slot on the Right Hook on Mondays has been dropped in favour of a medical slot with George's medical mate and his friday panel member, Dr Ciara Kelly.

tapit54 wrote: »
    Looks like the weekly Technology slot on the Right Hook on Mondays has been dropped in favour of a medical slot with George's medical mate and his friday panel member, Dr Ciara Kelly.

Another reason for me not to listen in, i find myself turning over to Matt Cooper more and more.

Anyone else just getting white noise on the NT tv channel, been going on for me since at least Hook's show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

In fairness the dope who was on the technology slot was a bit clueless.

6781 wrote: »
    In fairness the dope who was on the technology slot was a bit clueless.

He came across to me as being up his own arse.

The whole technology slot was always a bit of a pantomime anyway. "Clueless old George gets taken in hand by the hotshot young hipsters and all their wondrous shiny new gadgets."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

The whole technology slot was always a bit of a pantomime anyway. "Clueless old George gets taken in hand by the hotshot young hipsters and all their wondrous shiny new gadgets."

It did have Jessica Kelly though......

Mmmmmm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Could be something to do with the Web Summit thingamajiger

Does your one have no patients to be treating though? Did she go on another rant about how we're all going to be fcuked in the face by the ebola?

Can't stand that woman.

To be fair if you listen to that slot you understand that George like to be buttered up, way to much it gets in the way of the tech bit.

The previous presenters Joe Drumdool (wrong spelling) and some lady from HP were really good.

Now its the teach old people how to use technology slot. I wouldnt mind either but George knows allot of the stuff anyway, he is very smart when he lets on to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Could be something to do with the Web Summit thingamajiger

Nah, it's gone a couple of weeks now and the girl that used to do it is now doing a weekly technology slot for Pat Kenny. Fionn Davenport disappeared from the Right Hook just as suddenly and again without any comment.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Nah, it's gone a couple of weeks now and the girl that used to do it is now doing a weekly technology slot for Pat Kenny. Fionn Davenport disappeared from the Right Hook just as suddenly and again without any comment.

All they need to do now is get rid of Bill Hughes's slot where he plays George's favourite songs and we might have a half-decent show again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have almost reached the end of the road with Newstalk and Today FM and it's the feckin non-stop Ad breaks with their 'talking down to you' style of Ads. 3 we mean business.... the fecking Blackrock Clinic and bloody Gaelige Gaisce...RTE is almost as bad. I'm going to have to get a decent wireless than only picks up the BBC - I miss the Shipping Forecast and the chimes of Big Ben. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I have almost reached the end of the road with Newstalk and Today FM and it's the feckin non-stop Ad breaks with their 'talking down to you' style of Ads. 3 we mean business.... the fecking Blackrock Clinic and bloody Gaelige Gaisce...RTE is almost as bad. I'm going to have to get a decent wireless than only picks up the BBC - I miss the Shipping Forecast and the chimes of Big Ben. :D

and dont forget the threatening "we,ll take you to court style ads" for tv licenses & eflow

Anyone else just getting white noise on the NT tv channel, been going on for me since at least Hook's show...

Still going on, I'm wondering has it been switched to another channel or something...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

on the plus side, anyone noticed the sudden absence of the Irish Water ads, both on TV and radio...nice to see even Denis O Brien's Newstalk propaganda filled media stronghold bowing to pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

on the plus side, anyone noticed the sudden absence of the Irish Water ads, both on TV and radio...nice to see even Denis O Brien's Newstalk propaganda filled media stronghold bowing to pressure

Really? You've not being listening to Pat (I don't know what all the fuss is about) Kenny then? And the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That dour Ruth Coppinger would drain the life out of you..

That dour Ruth Coppinger would drain the life out of you..

Lol? what is she saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol? what is she saying?

she mentioned commandeering wealthy people's stuff and getting rid of foreign direct investment as it wouldn't work within their ideal economy.

russia in 1917 was a beacon apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ivan Yates this morning "Students need a dose of the real world. My Young Lad is repeating first year in UCD, he's out most nights of the weeks, he has about 10 hours of lectures a week, he's lucky to make half of them. Hasn't a clue about hard work ..."

Pause, then Chris Donoghue replies
    I blame the parents :pac:
    Ivan walked into that one.

That last hour was a bit of a mess... People roaring over each other.... And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

That last hour was a bit of a mess... People roaring over each other.... And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

I think they cut the arse out of the political panel when Pat came in . It's always a 5-10 min slot with an ad inbetween when it used to be 45 mins .

Is there any person at that Web Summit that doesnt start ever single sentence with the word "so"..

I gave up listening to that segment ages ago because they always had Drennan or fellow windbag Michael O'Regan as the journo voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

I bloody hate him and the absolute rubbish he spouts. Many a debate I've tuned out of when he's on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Man that parenting expert on Moncrieff is irritating. It was funny when a texter suggested a swift boot up the arse as a remedy to behavioral issues. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement