Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

have been listening to newstalk since it came on air, but it is going downhill and has too many weak presenters.... still think moncrief and off the ball are class though...
    breakfast and tom dunne are not really up to much and surely they can come up with something better to compete against pompous gerry ryan.
    in general the programmes are far too broken up with texts and news every half hour and it fels like guests are being rushed along....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Russell123

Did anyone hear Claire Byrne and Ivan Yates get a touch tetchy this morning?

It was when they were talking about the Serena Williams outburst.

Byrne went back at Yates when he made a comment about aggressive behaviour.

He did seem to be in bad form, complaining about the need to get up even earlier than usual to cover the ploughing championships in Athy.

I checked the webcam and the twitter feed but neither were working.

And the Williams story seemed to be dropped for the rest of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Russell123 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Claire Byrne and Ivan Yates get a touch tetchy this morning?

It was when they were talking about the Serena Williams outburst.

Byrne went back at Yates when he made a comment about aggressive behaviour.

He did seem to be in bad form, complaining about the need to get up even earlier than usual to cover the ploughing championships in Athy.

I checked the webcam and the twitter feed but neither were working.

And the Williams story seemed to be dropped for the rest of the show.

I dislike Ivan Yates as a radio presenter, he is better suited as a commentator, to be brought on from time to time on topical issues. Again, I hark back to the Lisbon Treaty, he has firmly nailed his colours to the mast several times by saying we must vote Yes. That is disgraceful bias IMO. It's like telling people what political party to vote for in an election. There would be uproar. The chemistry between him and Claire Byrne just seems strained always - like they are making the effort, but not getting along. I foresee a change there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I caught a few mins of the OTB outside broadcast last night.

The interview with Giles and Dunphy was great.
    Both seemed in "high spirits"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

During the philosophy slot Sean Moncrieff just said he finds women in Burkas sexy!eek.gif Whatever your into yourself Sean!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Koloman wrote: »
    During the philosophy slot Sean Moncrieff just said he finds women in Burkas sexy!eek.gif Whatever your into yourself Sean!biggrin.gif

Ya caught that myself! Ah sure for all we know, women in burkas may find baldy headed men sexy... :P

Ah Sean's a legend though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I dislike Ivan Yates as a radio presenter, he is better suited as a commentator, to be brought on from time to time on topical issues. Again, I hark back to the Lisbon Treaty, he has firmly nailed his colours to the mast several times by saying we must vote Yes. That is disgraceful bias IMO. It's like telling people what political party to vote for in an election. There would be uproar. The chemistry between him and Claire Byrne just seems strained always - like they are making the effort, but not getting along. I foresee a change there soon.

he works for an independant broadcaster , he has no obligation to be impartial in the lisbon issue like pat kenny does , newstalk is not a public service broadcaster

I caught a few mins of the OTB outside broadcast last night.

The interview with Giles and Dunphy was great.
    Both seemed in "high spirits"!

That was great :D

Dunphy: "It takes two bottles of Barcardi to get John in [to a nightclub]....And a squad car to get him out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Again, I hark back to the Lisbon Treaty, he has firmly nailed his colours to the mast several times by saying we must vote Yes. That is disgraceful bias IMO.

Vincent Brown is a No Voter and encourages it practically every night on the telly - Ray D'arcy and George Hook have both stated how they'll vote - people are allowed opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The chemistry between him and Claire Byrne just seems strained always - like they are making the effort, but not getting along. I foresee a change there soon.

Yates has just signed up for a permanent role on Newstalk, so I'm afraid you will be waiting awhile for that change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Has Graham Hunter been dropped from Breakfast?

I havent heard him as yet this season but always enjoyed his slot, hope he'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prolly been forgotton about now Ger is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Has Graham Hunter been dropped from Breakfast?

I havent heard him as yet this season but always enjoyed his slot, hope he'll be back.

I'm pretty sure I heard him on this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

brettmirl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I heard him on this morning...

Phil Thompson was on after the 8.30 news but wasn't listening before eight.
    GH was on quite alot before the season started with transfer news etc. and I think he normally does the European football but maybe he wasn't available this morning.

Graham Hunter is on Off The Ball thursdays 9.30 and most Champions League nights. He presented the football show last monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Phil Thompson was on after the 8.30 news but wasn't listening before eight.
    GH was on quite alot before the season started with transfer news etc. and I think he normally does the European football but maybe he wasn't available this morning.

Yeah Phil Thompson was on alright, but Graham Hunter was on in the previous hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

That must be it so, never listen until around 8.15 am.

Graham Hunter is a great correspondant and better than the combination of:

Paul Parker + John Giles + Ron Atkinson + Phil Thompson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Feel like George is losing the run of things here with Declan Ganley on the right hook tonight

George Hook's show has just turned into a daily ranting exercise for himself. For the first 20-25 minutes of each show he goes on and on about whatever is annoying him that day. It's ridiculous, childish and does the listener no favours.

I think he is a wannabe Mike Graham, but that over the top type of American radio presenter doesn't suit George or the listener. My ears have had enough!

Koloman wrote: »
    George Hook's show has just turned into a daily ranting exercise for himself. For the first 20-25 minutes of each show he goes on and on about whatever is annoying him that day. It's ridiculous, childish and does the listener no favours.

I think he is a wannabe Mike Graham, but that over the top type of American radio presenter doesn't suit George or the listener. My ears have had enough!

only graham is a mile a minute and hooky takes about ten minutes to complete a sentence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've heard a few people I've come across in day to day life commenting on George's rants and not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I posted about the poor quality of Hook's show here a while back. The ranting, rambling, missing the point has all become embarrassing. The guy is out of his depth in a current affairs format imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

were the offtheball guys taking part in a speed talking competition yesterday? ridiculous

could we not have a sepearte thread for each show, and then a general thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

Aidric wrote: »
    I posted about the poor quality of Hook's show here a while back. The ranting, rambling, missing the point has all become embarrassing. The guy is out of his depth in a current affairs format imo.

agree totally
    i stopped listening to his 'show' about 2 years ago but enjoyed it in the early years
    the man is an ignorant clown as far as i'm concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Eamon Keane gave Ned O'keefe a good grilling on the lunch time show yesterday, great radio.

I wish he could just drop the "explain this to me, I'm your buddy" way of questioning and hit them square in the face with the question, ala Jeremy paxman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anytime Newstalk have an outside broadcast I turn off as the sound is crap,so I have not listened in all week.

spadder wrote: »
    Eamon Keane gave Ned O'keefe a good grilling on the lunch time show yesterday, great radio.

I wish he could just drop the "explain this to me, I'm your buddy" way of questioning and hit them square in the face with the question, ala Jeremy paxman.

but then he wouldnt be eamon keanne , snide and sneaky

Where's Eamon today? did he get himself in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

After a good few months now of listening to the Breakfast show (no choice where I am at that time of morning) I find the presenting to be of poor tabloid journalistic standard that would be better placed in the pages of the Daily Mail.

In particular I find Claire Byrne gives the impression of being too personally involved in many of the items and uses Newstalk as a mouthpiece for her agendas, fears etc. This combined with the constant reading out of texts that is reminiscent of 'Annoyed of Tunbridge Wells' that appears in the UK in certain parts of the media. results in unbalanced reaction to news items. The whole program seems to be unsure whether its news programme or an entertainment show.

If she and the rest of the Breakfast team want to see how it should be done then they should listen to a week of the 'Today' programme on BBC radio 4 and hear good insightful political debate from knowledgeable presenters on a wide range of World issues (something all the Irish Media seem to be unable to do in that very little appears to happen outside of the Irish border, something that is very much in common with their American media counterparts )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

irish_bob wrote: »
    but then he wouldnt be eamon keanne , snide and sneaky

yeah always approaching from "left field"

"I'm an auld gobshite explain this to me me now ,I'm a bit thick"

Bin that outdated approach as the poster said and you might gain more respect.

Nobody in 2009 buys that auld baffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

This guy giving out about the fact that he couldn't get a sandwich in a pub on Grafton st is really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

funkyflea wrote: »
    This guy giving out about the fact that he couldn't get a sandwich in a pub on Grafton st is really annoying.

kevin myers?

some listeners find him a iut of a snob, personally i found some of the shows he did when filling in for george fascinating.

but he does have his moments.

Hook has just brought his self-obsession to a whole new level - "George in the psychiatrist's chair". What utter ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

funkyflea wrote: »

Yeah, Kevin Myers lighten up. There are bigger issues in this country than us using the Italian word 'latte' to order a coffee. Jeez, slow news day for you or what, meantime the future of our children is up for grabs over the next two months..................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Webbs wrote: »

In particular I find Claire Byrne gives the impression of being too personally involved in many of the items and uses Newstalk as a mouthpiece for her agendas, fears etc. This combined with the constant reading out of texts that is reminiscent of 'Annoyed of Tunbridge Wells' that appears in the UK in certain parts of the media. results in unbalanced reaction to news items. The whole program seems to be unsure whether its news programme or an entertainment show.

Indeed, she always gets way to personal i really dislike her way of interviewing. Shes like the rottweiler the show commands on people they dislike, i hate when they have Ivan do a big interview only for her to come in foaming at the mouth for one question.

Which isnt quite bad but it always seems like she makes her point and then they have to go for a break or move on and cut the caller off :P

Eamon putting Bertie under pressure, best Bertie interveiw to date. He's not letting him waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 double black

spadder wrote: »
    Eamon putting Bertie under pressure, best Bertie interveiw to date. He's not letting him waffle.

Would you recommend digging out the podcast for that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Newstalk have a new website which has a listen back feature, where you can listen to any of its programmes over the past 7 days.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sweet_jesus

I find Newstalk to be a refreshing listen and has managed to attract many professionals away from RTE's uninspired, drab sameness - sadly it becomes apparent that no one will ever be able to extract a straight answer from any of our so-called Public Servants, no matter how much dirt is uncovered - fair dues to Ivan Yeats though - he does try!

Clare Byrne does get personal, I agree, but let's face it, she's only asking questions which need to be asked - it's pretty clear she's p*ssed at bankers and has concerns/opinions about mortgages etc which obviously stem from personal concerns...but who doesn’t!!! so why shouldn't she get personal...I mean, we all have a view on the crises, lofty talk of billions this and billions that doesn’t concern the average Joe on the street...we need to know the effects in real terms and I think that's what she tries to get across!

I must say, I really like the newsreader Kirsteen O'Sullivan's voice and the way she reads...makes a welcome change from some of the other newsreaders (not just on Newstalk) who sometimes give the impression as being rushed, uninformed and ultimately forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I find Newstalk to be a refreshing listen and has managed to attract many professionals away from RTE's uninspired, drab sameness - sadly it becomes apparent that no one will ever be able to extract a straight answer from any of our so-called Public Servants, no matter how much dirt is uncovered - fair dues to Ivan Yeats though - he does try!

Clare Byrne does get personal, I agree, but let's face it, she's only asking questions which need to be asked - it's pretty clear she's p*ssed at bankers and has concerns/opinions about mortgages etc which obviously stem from personal concerns...but who doesn’t!!! so why shouldn't she get personal...I mean, we all have a view on the crises, lofty talk of billions this and billions that doesn’t concern the average Joe on the street...we need to know the effects in real terms and I think that's what she tries to get across!

What I want though is a news programme and not a tabloidesque magazine programme.

It is surely the point of a programme such as Breakfast to put across as many points of view from the interviewees and not the viewpoints of the interviewers. That is just poor lazy journalism. Both Byrne and Yates have an obviously biased point of view and that comes through in their interviews, they have not asked the pertinant questions on many occasions as they just follow their particular agendas.
    Again I ask you just to listen to BBC4 Today programme to hear how this sort of programme should be done. And shock horror you'll find there is more going on other than the continual Yeats/Byrne agenda for cheap shots regarding Private v Public sector nonsense. There is a whole wide world out there that never gets reported on, we need a less insular view.

A lot of this comes from the influence of reading listeners texts (again lazy journalism), this just produces an imbalanced view, predominantly the only texters would be those with a sense of injustice thereby giving an imbalanced view. For example would someone text in saying ''I have just received a small pay rise, my mortgage has gone down and I'm doing fine thank you very much'' of course not you only get the 'I have had a 30% cut all the public sector does is sit on its bum doing nothing and will retire on a pension that makes them millionaires' texts. (And before you ask as I'm sure it will be, I am not in the Public sector :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Newstalk have a new website which has a listen back feature, where you can listen to any of its programmes over the past 7 days.

.. which takes an age to load and I can't find how to download podcasts. The previous xml links haven't been retained.

:mad:

TarfHead wrote: »
    .. which takes an age to load and I can't find how to download podcasts. The previous xml links haven't been retained.

:mad:

I assume you press the the subscribe button here, but it doesn't seem to be working ....

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcasts

I'm not overly impressed with new site myself, I only knew that "listen back" existed because it was mentioned on some of the shows, but it still took me an age to find it.

The new Newstalk website is a bit of a let down isn't it? When I heard they where revamping it I thought the result would be a vast improvement but it's a bit underwhelming to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

With the new site, the online stream at http://newstalk.fmstreams.com:8080/listen.pls is no longer running. Has anyone been able to find what the new address is? I want to run the stream through my music player rather than visiting the site every time.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

you can now listen back to the entire shows and not have to settle for 20 minute podcasts... wohoo

finally i can listen to off the ball complete football hour- happy days!!

The new Web page is a little tricky to get around first but seems to run alot better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm loving the fact that I can listen to Off the Ball during the day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

AMZ did you used to be on the SMUT webpage?
    (sean Moncrieff United Texters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That guy Early is the greatest conman radio ever invented.

Useless, pandering to the red top brigade, delivery that would put a comatose junkie to shame, how the guy hangs on in mainstream radio is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

FB, do you actually like anyone involved in Irish radio? I never see anything but negativity from you.

Ken Earley clearly appeals to the type of audience the show is aimed at, people who enjoy their sport and who like presenters to have an obvious interest in it. I've heard Ken present music and current affairs shows too and he really isn't just a one trick pony, or someone who panders to people.

I'd love if all sports shows were as well researched and as diverse as OTB. I'd love if all presenters showed such an obvious passion for sport and not just the one code, or team a la certain other stations.
    TheBastard wrote: »
    AMZ did you used to be on the SMUT webpage?
    (sean Moncrieff United Texters)
    Jaysus!
    Was only thinkin' about that the other day.

Wondered whatever happened to ShellSuitedKevin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement