Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Big fan of Eamonn Keane, I'll listen to Moncrieff now and then and OTB is very very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

does anyone else find that nutritionist on tom dunne's show to be seriously annoying?? she just lists off stuff that she seems to like, which, bearing in mind she has her own digestive problems, don't really apply to everyone.
    and she keeps going on about organic food, even though the benefits were more or less dismissed a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I swear to ****, sometimes I think this thread is loaded with trolls as there are so many people saying that they like Eamon Keane.

How could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kraggy wrote: »
    I swear to ****, sometimes I think this thread is loaded with trolls as there are so many people saying that they like Eamon Keane.

How could you?

I note your location is Galway and you did not express an opinion on the second MOST annoying man on radio ever.

S0ooooooooooooo0

I swear to ****, sometimes I think this thread is loaded with trolls as there are so many people saying that they like Moncrieff.

How the F__K could you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

How could you?

I think he's really good, fair enough, he may be a bit tabloid but at the end of the day he's willing to ask the big questions, sure they can be sensationalist, but at least he doesn't pussy foot around like many other presenters. Sometimes I'm convinced that a lot of presenters are more concerned with being friends with guests rather than asking tough questions.

Clearly Newstalk management think he's worth it too, I mean he seems to be off work more often than in work. Also despite the fact that a lot of people on these boards don't like him his JNLR figures are generally good (I don't remember his last figures).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

How could you?

you missed a trick there kraggy. When talking about Eamon Keane, the question isn't simply "how could you?", it'd be more like this.

"kraggy...I've been wanting to ask...or really been wondering...for a while now - and I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing, and it's this. And it's important. A lot of people think it's important kraggy. So when you boil it down, it's quite simple - so simple really, I'm surprised it hasn't been asked already. Or maybe it has been asked, but just not in a way that makes it understandable to the readers of this thread, who, in fairness, have a right to ask the question. And the question is this. How could you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

that country chap who's replacing Moncrieff this week is very hard to listen too. When will they send him for elocution lessons? Can't listen to Eamon Keane either. "Newstalk, it's tinking out loud":rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

tbh wrote: »
    you missed a trick there kraggy. When talking about Eamon Keane, the question isn't simply "how could you?", it'd be more like this.

"kraggy...I've been wanting to ask...or really been wondering...for a while now - and I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing, and it's this. And it's important. A lot of people think it's important kraggy. So when you boil it down, it's quite simple - so simple really, I'm surprised it hasn't been asked already. Or maybe it has been asked, but just not in a way that makes it understandable to the readers of this thread, who, in fairness, have a right to ask the question. And the question is this. How could you?"

That's about it alright.

And after the next adbreak (never more than 3 minutes away) it'd be back with "And now as exclusively revealed on Lunchtime with me Eamon Keane, Kraggy has revealed, how he in fact could."

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

ha ha spot on. "some breaking news reaching us here......munster legend.....gerald kesn what do you think"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'm of the opinion that George Hook is way past it on his program, he is making a lot of mistakes lately - mispronouncing names, not knowing what topic he's on, getting stroppy with guests....who would take over? Please don't say David Norris, or I'll throw radio out the window....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You could have something there.

What with the Rugby stuff on RTE, the traipsing around the country with 'Popey' the Haiti stuff, could be that auld Georgie Boy has over extended himself, as his ' window of opportunity' is rapidly closing.

Better concentrate on one thing rather than trying to max out the earning power while the iron is hot:cool:

Could be the problem;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I'm of the opinion that George Hook is way past it on his program, he is making a lot of mistakes lately - mispronouncing names, not knowing what topic he's on, getting stroppy with guests....who would take over? Please don't say David Norris, or I'll throw radio out the window....

I have been following his twitter site lately and I think this may explain it.

http://twitter.com/ghook/status/8075370519

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Koloman wrote: »
    I have been following his twitter site lately and I think this may explain it.

http://twitter.com/ghook/status/8075370519

Yes, understandable - but this has been going on for quite a while, I don't think that is the full explanantion - he just seems off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Badabing wrote: »
    Where's Claire Byrne? strange that main presenter is away after new year break.

Wish she'd stay away permanently, like listening to the big man but can't stand her. Overdose of the word bizzare, tabloid queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

I have to agree with Force 11 - he's waaaaaay past his sell by date !
    They have gone off the boil recently - not that i'm pro govt, but it is the easiest job in the world to knock what they do - like the opposition ! Hook and Keane are the worst - soooo negative - easy job
    Lets have some positivity for a change - there ARE some positive trends but they NEVER get aired
    Bring back Gilroy or Carty

• Advertisement

Stylo wrote: »
    Bring back Gilroy or Carty

Carty, YES!
    Gilroy, NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Declan Carty was very good when he was on the night show couple of years ago. He deserves a programme before many of the other presenters on Newstalk.

What's he at now? Is he still with the station in an editor capacity or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Declan Carty was very good when he was on the night show couple of years ago. He deserves a programme before many of the other presenters on Newstalk.

Yes he deserves to be back on the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

+1 I liked that show, it's pretty poor that NT goes to repeats at 10pm most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Noriis is back on Hook...
    Should make for interesting listening when Micael Ghram comes on...

• Advertisement

hacx wrote: »
    Noriis is back on Hook...
    Should make for interesting listening when Micael Ghram comes on...

i just turned it off. i'll have to check again for that. if the two of them get as pi55ed off as i do listening to them then it should be interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I normally like Norris, but he has the his camp level set to high. It gets a bit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Poly wrote: »
    I normally like Norris, but he has the his camp level set to high. It gets a bit tedious.
    calm down, darling

Poly wrote: »

He kept calling Michael Graham "HONEY" at the end of every sentence!biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I would like to hear that. Does anyone know if and when the show is repeated?

Minstrel27 wrote: »

newstalk repeat everything overnight, so you'll probably hear that about 5.30am!! they've got a listen again feature on their website.

it was hilarious. no one ever got michael graham to stop mid flow and get dead noise. it happened a couple of times where he had to change subject a bit and just start calling europeans anti-semites and all that jazz.

they should bring back norris every friday just for this!!

they should bring back norris every friday just for this!!
    No they shouldn't. I'm sure most people switch off when they hear him presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Yeah, you can listen to it here...

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Yeah, you can listen to it here...

Good listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody Brendan O' Brien! How does it get away with being so damned chaotic a presenter? If he has a script he doesn't consult it. The programme feels like one long ad lib which for a largely current affiars based show is frankly unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

About 11 this morning - Newstalk played a statement to the effect that the Broadcasting Commission had ruled that Karen Coleman was unfairly biased in favour of the "Yes to Lisbon" side during a debate on her show on Lisbon 2, last September. 3 on the "Yes" side and one, by telephone, who only got 5 mins air time, on the "No",was it's finding, iirc.

It was a pure fluke that I caught that, as her obvious bias at that time was why I stopped listening to the Wide Angle!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am glad I switched away from the breakfast show a long time ago,while listening to Off the ball the other night I heard a add for the breakfast show and apparently Ivan was trying on wigs 'live on air' at some stage last week.

If I want crap like that in the morrning I will turn on 98fm or 104.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Morning radio in Ireland is **** in general not just Newstalk. The Saturday Sports Show is cringeworthy. I thank God that I only listen to Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

About 11 this morning - Newstalk played a statement to the effect that the Broadcasting Commission had ruled that Karen Coleman was unfairly biased in favour of the "Yes to Lisbon" side during a debate on her show on Lisbon 2, last September. 3 on the "Yes" side and one, by telephone, who only got 5 mins air time, on the "No",was it's finding, iirc.

It was a pure fluke that I caught that, as her obvious bias at that time was why I stopped listening to the Wide Angle!

That's the second time she's been pulled up in the recent past.

Can't remember the exact details of the first one, but IIRC it was someone of a religious standpoint who was deemed to have been given short shrift by Madam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Saturday Sports Show is cringeworthy. I thank God that I only listen to Off The Ball.
    Is Gerry O Sullivan still at the helm of that?

Aidric wrote: »
    Is Gerry O Sullivan still at the helm of that?
    'fraid so. I don't know how anyone can listen to that chap for more than five minutes. He doesn't belong on a national radio station. :rolleyes:

well done on picking up that statement re carol coleman

There was a huge bias in the media last year for a yes vote on lisbon

Dont forget even robbie keane wanted a yes vote and he dosent even live here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

bob50 wrote: »
    well done on picking up that statement re carol coleman

There was a huge bias in the media last year for a yes vote on lisbon

Dont forget even robbie keane wanted a yes vote and he dosent even live here

Karen Coleman buddy.

Carole is X RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Hi

Just wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to hear old shows online?

EDit: sorted, thanks

• Advertisement

panama wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to hear old shows online?

I am trying to find a recording of last Thursday's 'The Right Hook' programme,
    it was the same evening George had Liam O' Maonlaigh on for the special interview.
    James Lawton was interviewed earlier in the broadcast and that is what I am hoping to
    find a copy of. On the newstalk website there are podcasts but I can only find one of the O'Maonlaigh interview and not the entire show.

I emailed the station but as yet they haven't replied, would appreciate if anyone
    can let me know, cheers.

Thursdays show is still up on Listenback...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Thursdays show is still up on Listenback...

Not sure how I missed that, but thanks a lot.

Karen Coleman buddy.

Carole is X RTE.

Sorry I meant Karen Coleman Newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi lads was anyone listening to newstalk yesterday during the day, they had a competition to win tickets to some event they're having for the rugby on saturday in dublin & cork?

I won tickets but can't remember anything else about it - is it a party or what? ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Made a point of tuning into G Hook from the start and what a pile of pure crap, him pontifficating at everyone laughing at a charlie bird clip and playing inserts from another show! The Last Word is head and shoulders ahead of him.

The cheap shots at Charlie Bird have got really tedious.

For someone who has made such a public issue of his own mental health, to the point where he felt it necessary to have a public consultation with a psychologist, to repeatedly poke fun at Bird's situation is in pretty poor taste.

The first half hour of the show is very weak. The "voices of the day", the clunking and unamusing inserts of songs, the incoherent thoughts of Chairman George...all rather lame.

The bottom line is that he's a poor broadcaster at the helm of an increasingly poor show.

Cooper and the Last Word is far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know where I could listen to Eoin Harris's interview on Eamon Keane from today?

He was an absolute cúnt, but hilarious :D

The cheap shots at Charlie Bird have got really tedious.

Maybe, but Charlie Bird deserves them for his childish behaviour.

Koloman wrote: »
    Maybe, but Charlie Bird deserves them for his childish behaviour.

No doubt Charlie has set himself up for some well-deserved ridicule.

But to keep harping on about it in the manner that Hook did is just tedious. And given his own bleating in public about his mental health "issues", somewhat ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

is it me or is hook the slowest speaker in the history of radio broadcasting , you can grow a beard while waiting for him to finish a sentence

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could listen to Eoin Harris's interview on Eamon Keane from today?

He was an absolute cúnt, but hilarious :D

The link in post 1291.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement