Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Poly wrote: »
    Don't why they bothered with Duffy, Chris held the fort fine on his own a few weeks ago, in fact, I'd say the show was even better with Chris flying solo.

Was surprised at how bad Gavin Duffy was, particularly in the 9-10hour. He was silent for so long in parts of the debate I was wondering had he left the studio; then he'd thrown in some random comment for the sake of saying something. Shocking considering he's a "meeja" trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I dont think giving george hook a saturday programme is a wise move. We already have an oversaturation of his ego from mon to fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the yank is starting to do my head in during the bulletins she's giving on business now.

christ ive never been turned off someone so quickly.

she almost sounds robotic ! if it wasnt for the clip showing her on VB i'd swear blind its a computer program like that episode of the simpsons.

straight off the bat damien is covering what pat wouldnt.

that barney in the dail sounded like great craic to see so six one should be fun tonight and were getting some nice discussion on what his guest thinks is happening on the ground in regards to candidates and issues important to people in Donegal SW

even mentioned the bond rate going mental.

fair play newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

straight off the bat damien is covering what pat wouldnt.

that barney in the dail sounded like great craic to see so six one should be fun tonight and were getting some nice discussion on what his guest thinks is happening on the ground in regards to candidates and issues important to people in Donegal SW

even mentioned the bond rate going mental.

fair play newstalk.

Bond rate to go even more mental after that squable in the dail is shown. Invetsors questioning if the countries been run by adults or school children :D Bold boy Enda Kenny not sitting down when he was told. Been more fun if he told your man to f off and let him speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I thought Conor Brophy was on holidays or something, I didn't realise he'd left Newstalk :( He was my fav breakfast presenter!!! Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I thought Conor Brophy was on holidays or something, I didn't realise he'd left Newstalk

I saw him on the RTE news the other night. Recognised the voice ... Think he was doing a report on Ernst & Young or something related to the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That fella from dragon den Bobby Care (sp?) is shocking bad. I could only stick a few minutes and had to turn off. So painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Brilliant interveiw with Padraig O'Ceide formally of Aer Arann, I feel really sorry for the guy.

Brilliant interveiw with Padraig O'Ceide formally of Aer Arann, I feel really sorry for the guy.

He taught me for 6 years in Secondary School, genuinely the best teacher I've ever had or seen. That stuff about writing your own school books is true, he made us do that!

Wouldn't feel sorry for him though - it's the last thing he'd want and I'd back him to get out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Brilliant interveiw with Padraig O'Ceide formally of Aer Arann.....

When was this, what programme ?

This morning, started about 9, best interveiw I've heard in a while. ^ sorry, the breakfsat show

It was very good. You're unlikely to hear a more honest interview this year. You can listen again at newstalk.ie - it's Part 3 of today's Breakfast Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I thought he sounded a bit deluded to be honest. Aer Arann do not offer a good service. It is overpriced.

He seemed a big FF supporter as well. I don't know how he expects to break the UK market with those prices.

We can all start up a business if the banks give us that amount. It went under due to huge debt.

He can't have had much startup cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He admitted the company was never properly capitalised, they were always heading for a fall sooner or later.

Their only profits were because of grants and subsidies.

Ivan Yates never asked him any tough questions.

SkidMark wrote: »
    He admitted the company was never properly capitalised, they were always heading for a fall sooner or later.

Their only profits were because of grants and subsidies.

Ivan Yates never asked him any tough questions.

Exactly, the company was a downfall waiting to happen and really was a bit of a disaster. They priced themselves out of the market and I feel he really the financial state of the company was a bit of a disgrace and they seemed deluded really.

Hopefully jobs can be saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk bags GAA games, Ger Gilroy overstates the case!

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalk bags GAA games, Ger Gilroy overstates the case!

Expect to hear the following phrase a lot until this starts:
    EXCLUSIVE TO NEWSTALK!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats not nearly loud enough! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

2nd pick games for Newstalk fair play to them, is that just on the sunday games or Saturday aswell does anyone know? Pity they don't have League games Feb-May it would have given RTE a real fright.

• Advertisement

This morning, started about 9, best interveiw I've heard in a while. ^ sorry, the breakfsat show

they really are polishing the post 9am section of the show.

its REALLY good to have something more than bearable to get me to PK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

This guy was on Miriam O'Callaghans TV program last year & was spoken to as if he was the next Bill Gates.
    Little did we know at the same time his airline was in serious financial difficulties & he was also taking swipes at Michael O'Leary proclaiming to be better than him:eek:
    Of course Miriam was giving him all the easy questions and the audience lapped it up.

He continually avoided Ivan's questions, but claiming that Brian Cowan is a great man has to prove he has no credibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The Pádraig Ó Céidigh interview with Ivan Yates and Jonathan Healy this morning was very interesting. Ó Céidigh has had some life - qualified teacher, solicitor, accountant, owner of a musical school and an airline. That's the sort of entrepreneurial spirit we need here.

I think Yates, affable plámáser that he is, could have asked better, more thoughtful questions at times, particularly about Ó Céidigh's personal difficulties.
    Overall, though, Yates's show was a refreshing break from the Tubridy/D'Arcy style shows on at the same time.

I'm getting less and less impressed by George Hook. His show increasingly appears disorganised, amorphous, lacking planning and focus with all sorts of randomers on the phoneline. It badly needs a structure, focused questions, an aim in each section. There have been some great innovations in that show, most noticeably the technology section. Hook has endeavoured to be emerge out of his rugby niche and become a likeable guy and that is worthy of great respect in my book even though I wouldn't share his politics or sporting interests. However...

The rightwing nut, Graham, is poor value for money. For instance, one day this week he went on a rant about Obama going to India on a trade mission when there was domestic trouble in the US. In the sort of challenged polemic which typifies his contributions, it never occurred to him that Obama was in India to hustle up business with one of the world's emerging 'great powers'. But this is the sort of vacuous, trite discourse which marks The Right Hook on a quotidian basis nowadays, sadly.

The range of political opinions which Hook has on his shows is narrow and repetitive. Aside from Graham, Shane Ross, Kevin Myers and that sort of person are given time to vent whatever it is they choose to vent. Are there any other views out there? In contrast, for instance, Mary Wilson will have constitutional or legal experts, banking experts, a myriad of economists and so forth giving informed views. Hook appears to be quite content with rants and obscurantism from a select few. This works well on the (very) rare occasions when these rants are funny, but by and large they result in a love-in between Hook and the same few guests each time with Hook plugging their books so incessantly that it's like being on a Ryanair flight.

Even more fundamentally, despite the country's current situation his show consistently fails to sustain a serious discussion on any number of economic and political issues. What invariably recurs is that Hook firstly has poorly informed guests on the show. Even when he has "expert" guests, he punctuates his guests comments with something or other about himself, his experience, his wife or whatever - none of which is germane to the serious topic being discussed. What is his obsession with bringing every discussion back to himself? He seems to have ego issues. 'More heat than light' is increasingly a very, very accurate summation of George Hook's presenting style. I want to learn something new from listening to radio conversations. I want to be able to say at the end of each programme: 'I learnt something new there' or 'I never thought about it like that' or even 'that was entertaining'. The shows increasingly misses all of these targets.

The Right Hook badly needs structure; a greater variety of guests; more substantial, informed guests; an end to having inane vacuous right-wing guests from the States on just for the sake of it - it adds nothing and is now absolutely boring for its predictability; a shift in focus by George Hook to the content of his guests' comments and getting the most out of them rather than always bringing everything back to George Hook and his life.

George Hook is still a likeable fellow, but getting less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Badabing wrote: »
    is that just on the sunday games or Saturday aswell does anyone know?

Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1110/1224283024726.html

Rebelheart wrote: »
    The Pádraig Ó Céidigh interview with Ivan Yates and Jonathan Healy this morning was very interesting. Ó Céidigh has had some life - qualified teacher, solicitor, accountant, owner of a musical school and an airline. That's the sort of entrepreneurial spirit we need here.

I think Yates, affable plámáser that he is, could have asked better, more thoughtful questions at times, particularly about Ó Céidigh's personal difficulties.
    Overall, though, Yates's show was a refreshing break from the Tubridy/D'Arcy style shows on at the same time.

I think he sounded like a guy who didn't what he wanted. Aer Arann was a failure do to poor finance and knowledge of the market. The whole company was based on borrowing.

Not really a good role model for entrepreneurs in my opinion. Structure should not be based on massive debt. That is just the easy way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Is it possible Yates actually did a show without blaming the public sector? Seriously, why would anyone listen to him, it's not as if he wasn't in Leinster House long enough himself. I assume he'll be backing any proposal to raise betting duties in budget? C'mon Ivan 1 lousy percent !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nice to see there are cameras in the studio now.

That fella from dragon den Bobby Care (sp?) is shocking bad. I could only stick a few minutes and had to turn off. So painful to listen to.

since mark has left and they switched the timeslot to go up against todayfms sunday businesss show ive been lax in listening in.

just played the podcast for last week as theres feck all on thats interesting me right now.

jesus christ what a carcrash.

literally lasted 2 minutes before closing the player as i just cant hack the presentation.

why in the name of god do newstalk INSIST on putting people on the radio on name recognition grounds alone.

THIS BLOKE CANNOT PRESENT A RADIO SHOW.

he literally cannont speak easily on air.

is radio such a closed shop that they cant find people who can speak ? JOE does it every day on liveline FFS !

god im so angry theyve ****ed up one of the best business shows in the country.

itll be TodayFM for me from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

since mark has left and they switched the timeslot to go up against todayfms sunday businesss show ive been lax in listening in.

just played the podcast for last week as theres feck all on thats interesting me right now.

jesus christ what a carcrash.

literally lasted 2 minutes before closing the player as i just cant hack the presentation.

why in the name of god do newstalk INSIST on putting people on the radio on name recognition grounds alone.

THIS BLOKE CANNOT PRESENT A RADIO SHOW.

he literally cannont speak easily on air.

is radio such a closed shop that they cant find people who can speak ? JOE does it every day on liveline FFS !

god im so angry theyve ****ed up one of the best business shows in the country.

itll be TodayFM for me from now on.

He is only keeping the seat warm until the Sunday Business Show moves over from Today FM. Similar with George Hook's new Saturday show. That will be his slot for easing into retirement when they move The Last Word and Matt Cooper over to the Right Hook Slot as soon as the Broadcasting Commission approves Newstalk and Today FM being considered as one entity for the Public service committments.

i hope your onto something there man as the stations taken a dive over the last month or so.

seems kind of a shame that RTE is being left off the hook though, down to business filled a great slot on saturday where there was feck all else on and george lees show is less than thrilling to put it mildly.

ive noticed both newstalk and todayFM are using the same media player now.

great move there as its VERY easy to use and works no problem with a great level of volume on the dinosaur i have in work which only has an internal speaker.

christ knows im dependant on podcasts on a saturday now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm getting less and less impressed by George Hook. His show increasingly appears disorganised, amorphous, lacking planning and focus with all sorts of randomers on the phoneline. It badly needs a structure, focused questions, an aim in each section. There have been some great innovations in that show, most noticeably the technology section. Hook has endeavoured to be emerge out of his rugby niche and become a likeable guy and that is worthy of great respect in my book even though I wouldn't share his politics or sporting interests. However...

The rightwing nut, Graham, is poor value for money. For instance, one day this week he went on a rant about Obama going to India on a trade mission when there was domestic trouble in the US. In the sort of challenged polemic which typifies his contributions, it never occurred to him that Obama was in India to hustle up business with one of the world's emerging 'great powers'. But this is the sort of vacuous, trite discourse which marks The Right Hook on a quotidian basis nowadays, sadly.

The range of political opinions which Hook has on his shows is narrow and repetitive. Aside from Graham, Shane Ross, Kevin Myers and that sort of person are given time to vent whatever it is they choose to vent. Are there any other views out there? In contrast, for instance, Mary Wilson will have constitutional or legal experts, banking experts, a myriad of economists and so forth giving informed views. Hook appears to be quite content with rants and obscurantism from a select few. This works well on the (very) rare occasions when these rants are funny, but by and large they result in a love-in between Hook and the same few guests each time with Hook plugging their books so incessantly that it's like being on a Ryanair flight.

Even more fundamentally, despite the country's current situation his show consistently fails to sustain a serious discussion on any number of economic and political issues. What invariably recurs is that Hook firstly has poorly informed guests on the show. Even when he has "expert" guests, he punctuates his guests comments with something or other about himself, his experience, his wife or whatever - none of which is germane to the serious topic being discussed. What is his obsession with bringing every discussion back to himself? He seems to have ego issues. 'More heat than light' is increasingly a very, very accurate summation of George Hook's presenting style. I want to learn something new from listening to radio conversations. I want to be able to say at the end of each programme: 'I learnt something new there' or 'I never thought about it like that' or even 'that was entertaining'. The shows increasingly misses all of these targets.

The Right Hook badly needs structure; a greater variety of guests; more substantial, informed guests; an end to having inane vacuous right-wing guests from the States on just for the sake of it - it adds nothing and is now absolutely boring for its predictability; a shift in focus by George Hook to the content of his guests' comments and getting the most out of them rather than always bringing everything back to George Hook and his life.

George Hook is still a likeable fellow, but getting less so.

The substantive thread through that post is that you seem to be very anti the 'right wing' , as you preface it on both occasions with less than flattering adjectives.

Perhaps you might prefer Colm Rapple, or Mannix Flynn or Nell mcCafferty.

I would have no problem with George.

The substantive thread through that post is that you seem to be very anti the 'right wing' , as you preface it on both occasions with less than flattering adjectives.

Perhaps you might prefer Colm Rapple, or Mannix Flynn or Nell mcCafferty.

I would have no problem with George.

Actually, I qualified 'rightwing', which implies not all rightwingers are, for instance, 'nuts'. He could, someday, have a coherent intelligent rightwinger such as P.J. O'Rourke. Instead he scrapes the barrel and gives us, as I said, rightwing nuts. It's about getting quality guests, and Hook opts for polemicists (all of whom are rightwing) each time, not an intelligent examination of the day's current affairs. That, in my view, is where his show increasingly falls down. More heat than light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Actually, I qualified 'rightwing', which implies not all rightwingers are, for instance, 'nuts'. He could, someday, have a coherent intelligent rightwinger such as P.J. O'Rourke. Instead he scrapes the barrel and gives us, as I said, rightwing nuts. It's about getting quality guests, and Hook opts for polemicists (all of whom are rightwing) each time, not an intelligent examination of the day's current affairs. That, in my view, is where his show increasingly falls down. More heat than light.

While I agree that Graham is an obnoxious loud-mouth, I still think he should be on the show. The US is still one of the global superpowers, and Graham thinks like large swaths of its citizens. While I may not agree with most of what he says, I still like to listen to it.

As for your earlier post, I tend to agree with you, I feel the show has lost direction. I became a fan of the man and the show, it was refreshingly different. I don't think it requires major surgery, I don't want him to tone down his obvious political allegiance, I don't want it to become a Drivetime clone, just a sharpening of focus.

Amanda Brunker on Moncrief now talking about her cookbook. That's not a typo - Amanda Brunker has a cookbook.

Welcome to Ireland where even the slightest amount of self-promoted celebrity (and I'm using that word very loosely there) status allows you to have several different careers and be considered an expert on everything. I weep for our future.

• Advertisement

She is painfull to listen to. A professional pair of tits sums her up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

she also writes a page of crap in the sunday world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

blueshed wrote: »
    she also writes a page of crap in the sunday world.

I wonder does she?

A lot of these so called celeb articles in the tabloids are actually penned by professional journalists
    and invariably reflect the editorial stance of the newspaper. Most celebrities can't write anyway.

However I could be wrong in this instance as you do say that its a "page of crap."

But then, I say that about every page in the Sunday World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

She hadn't even settled into her seat when she mentioned she's a mother - did the same when she was on Miriam O'C show months ago - as if it gives her special dispensation or something! Well do you know who else is a mother? EVERYONE!

Poochie05 wrote: »
    She hadn't even settled into her seat when she mentioned she's a mother - did the same when she was on Miriam O'C show months ago - as if it gives her special dispensation or something! Well do you know who else is a mother? EVERYONE!

Well, not exactly everyone.......I can think of a few males I know who aren't mothers.:D

I did notice her comment though - "I'm up since 5am Sean as I am a mother you know", or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the Breakfast show? Dick Roche was on telling us to "move along, nothing to see here" re the impending bailout.

Chris O'Donaghue really wound Dick Roche up during the interveiw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wouldn't normally defend any current minister, but to be fair to Roche it was a ridiculous line of questioning which simply couldn't be answered despite Donaghues insistence for a yes/no answer. I think even Yates realised this and moved him on eventually.

whats riduclous about asking if we'll have fiscal sovereignty by the end of the year?

if shouldve been a no brainer to say "yes" but roche fubbed it !

Thats a FAR more worrying thing in my mind seeing as were talking about dick roche, a guy who's been wrong about everything from the number of people that'd come here after NICE to the calling of a second LISBON referendum but had no problem outright stating his opinion of things as fact at the time.

i have to say fair play to chris. if anything been shown to be true over the last few days its that the gov is lying their arses off to us about what theyre actually DOING.

nice to see someone actually put some hard questions for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

welll well well.....does anyone rembmeber this ?
    the first lisbon treaty...
    where if the no vote was folowed up by another no vote...we may well have our own currency today...and maybe none of this would be nesscessary..

who are the loolahs now???

jaysus.

matt cooper now saying NO ONE from the government is willing to go on his show to talk about what chris and ivan was covering this morning.

they usually put forward SOME muppet.

me think things are evolving at a faster rate then theyre comfortable with so i reckon we wont be getting anyone on the breakfast show tomorrow either.

in a way i cant blame them.

our story is the front page news on the financial times. when that happens you know something big is up.

george hook....revelling in the demise of the irish economy... the man is nothing but a media whore

the answer is...SOFT EUROS..

lol ...

hang on...by god jeremy ...that might just do it

a radio presenter says ..in all seriousness....there are too many people talking...lol dear god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

George intimating that he works as hard as other members of the workforce.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whats Hook actually got to worry about?. He must be raking in a very comfortable sum each year between his media work , after dinner speaking , sky ads etc....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement