Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Whats Hook actually got to worry about?. He must be raking in a very comfortable sum each year between his media work , after dinner speaking , sky ads etc....

Of all people he bloody deserves every penny.
    If you remember he started his media career writing an article for the Sunday Press and a small tv appearance every Sunday night in rte 2 on Sunday Sport. I'm sure he wasn't paid an awful back then but he worked damm hard for it. Its got him to where he is today up and coming media people take note!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I doesn't bother me in the slightest what Hook or anyone else in Newstalk or Today FM is paid. It's a private company.
    Right now, I don't trust RTE. I think newstalk are doing a valuable public service.
    More power to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I would be a bit curious to know how much Hook gets for his rugby punditry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

CiaranMT wrote: »
    George intimating that he works as hard as other members of the workforce.. :rolleyes:

He probably works harder than most. 5 2 and a half hour shows and one at the weekend plus numerous hours of preparation. Then he does his rugby punditry and his writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Poly wrote: »
    I doesn't bother me in the slightest what Hook or anyone else in Newstalk or Today FM is paid. It's a private company.
    Right now, I don't trust RTE. I think newstalk are doing a valuable public service.
    More power to them.

Are you for real? A private company owned by one of the richest men in Ireland - with a glaringly obvious agenda...and you think they're doing a "valuable public service" ? Jesus wept! There surely is NO HOPE for this country if many more people are hoodwinked by these organisations.

Yes, Last week when RTE were toeing the party line, and not reporting fully on the situation. Newstalk were reporting on the situation.

So please explain, what's their agenda???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Are you for real? A private company owned by one of the richest men in Ireland - with a glaringly obvious agenda...and you think they're doing a "valuable public service" ? Jesus wept! There surely is NO HOPE for this country if many more people are hoodwinked by these organisations.

The only agenda on Newstalk at the moment is to move as many of their listeners as possible on Saturdays to other stations. Henry's Fairytales, followed by George's Moan of the Week, followed by Sile Seoige's banal chats with people who found 2c on the Luas. I'm waiting for Glenda to get her own 3 hour X Factor Countdown Show after sport which will be billed as EXCLUSIVE TO NEWSTALK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God this Marie Sherlock is theeeee most annoying person on the radio... ROOIGGGGGHHTTTT .... She's gonna get some fkn shock when the IMF hand SIPTU their plan for her members..

I've never heard anyone who's so wrong saying "right" so often in one interview. SIPTU scored a major own goal letting her speak on their behalf, she's got serious blinkers on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

No there just the standard ICTU/Siptu blinkers that are handed out to all union reps and spokes people for the radio. They still live in cloud cukoo land. she was a patronising little women with a really irritating voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

I must agree with the above three posts. I had to switch that interview off as she was so annoying... :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two three people just commented on the ROOIGGGGGHHTTTT issue

mike65 wrote: »
    Two three people just commented on the ROOIGGGGGHHTTTT issue

Right? :D:D:D:D:D

Is anyone else getting a bit fed up with Ivan Yates on the breakfast show? Im starting to think that hes lowering it to a point of tabloid crap and crass jornalism when he goes on about the x factor and his love of gossip. he also has a habbit of coming out with these really crap jokes and repeating it through the show. The guy is a bookie and politician not a journalist and the level of professionalism between the breakfast show an dmorning ireland is very noticable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

His little chats with Tom Dunne every morning are cringeworthy to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

neris wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting a bit fed up with Ivan Yates on the breakfast show? Im starting to think that hes lowering it to a point of tabloid crap and crass jornalism when he goes on about the x factor and his love of gossip. he also has a habbit of coming out with these really crap jokes and repeating it through the show. The guy is a bookie and politician not a journalist and the level of professionalism between the breakfast show an dmorning ireland is very noticable

I like Ivan. he offers balance to "Morning Ireland". if youre in the mood for 'professional' journalism, pop on rte, otherwise you turn on Ivan. Sometimes a bit of choice is good.

And dare I say it, Ivan has no problem asking the tough questions to the FF'ers unlike McCoille and co who are a bit lightweight. (RTE in general to be fair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

telekon wrote: »
    I like Ivan. he offers balance to "Morning Ireland". if youre in the mood for 'professional' journalism, pop on rte, otherwise you turn on Ivan. Sometimes a bit of choice is good.

And dare I say it, Ivan has no problem asking the tough questions to the FF'ers unlike McCoille and co who are a bit lightweight. (RTE in general to be fair)

Very well put there telekon.

Sums it up well.

Love him or hate him, Michael O'Leary is playing a blinder on The Right Hook now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

el diablo wrote: »
    I must agree with the above three posts. I had to switch that interview off as she was so annoying... :o

Totally agree. If anyone has their doubts about the IMF then this Sherlock woman will make you plead for the IMF to do their thing. She's totally disillusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Koloman wrote: »
    Totally agree. If anyone has their doubts about the IMF then this Sherlock woman will make you plead for the IMF to do their thing. She's totally disillusion.
    I've just seen her talking on Al Jazeera in their report from Dublin. No joking. :rolleyes: Surely they must've been stuck for contributors on the IMF bailout.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Love him or hate him, Michael O'Leary is playing a blinder on The Right Hook now.

Just heard that now.

Possibly one of the best interviews he ever gave.

He summed up many of the problems facing this country perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Normally listen to Newstalk when travelling in the car especailly when there is sport on but was unfortunate enought to to be in the car and turned on the Sile Seoige show.
    My jezus what a load of horse manure, she must rank among the worst presenters ever

Flip that Ger Star editor fella is a terrible presenter. I can only assume he is a friend of either Dunphy or the producer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

What is the story with Dunphy missing again? , Advertisers must be pi$$ed off with Newstalk.

Even calling it the Dunphy show is ridiculous at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

yeah its gone beyond a joke at this stage. really should be called the "random presenter Dunphy knows show".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i cant believe dunphy wasnt on this sunday, particularly with the weekend that was in it.

PRIME ranting territory.

instead we get that numpty from the star again.

looks like eamon is giving marion a run for her money in the "time off" stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Listening now to Emmet Oliver on Newstalk. His analysis is pathetic - its all about Nama, Paddy Kelly, Irish Banks and mortgage repayment - so 2009. This financial issue is now much wider than that - its driven now by global forces well beyond the control of our Central Bank. He criticises Elderfield and Honohan for poor assessment of the Irish banks in Sept .....but after that the markets pounced, resulting in corporate deposit flight etc. Nothing whatever to do with the Irish property market....EO needs to read more widely!

Dunphy managed to put in an appearance on RTE's Sport at 7 tonight, but not his own show yesterday. It is all a bit curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Badabing wrote: »
    What is the story with Dunphy missing again? , Advertisers must be pi$$ed off with Newstalk.

It's unbelievable... I've heard Dunphy in the chair just once since mid-summer. I actually kind of like that Ger guy, so I never mind too much when he's on but you'd think somebody would have a word with Eamon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Is there anybody out there who knows how to stop the ad for the speed cameras playing every time I use the "Listen Live" function? Driving me nuts at this stage!

NT are ditching Moncrieff to bring us live coverage of the 4 year plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

The 30c text fee is something that is really getting on my wick and the
    constant ..."text in with what you think."

The latest is on lunchtime today where the presenter goes on about the 4 year plan that will be released in a few hours and then exorts the listeners to text in what they think about it.. am I just being a curmudgeon?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

noworries wrote: »
    The 30c text fee is something that is really getting on my wick and the
    constant ..."text in with what you think."

The latest is on lunchtime today where the presenter goes on about the 4 year plan that will be released in a few hours and then exorts the listeners to text in what they think about it.. am I just being a curmudgeon?:confused:

I just use e mail, i have it on my phone or i'll be at my desk in work so never give them a cent:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Tom Dunne is advertising his new version of the nudey pen with a special show... Jesus christ, what a gob****e! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Is there any need for this to be talked to death about until 4pm and Hook to cont. with it until 7pm today?

I dont see why Moncrieff needs to be off today for this, he could just update us if there is any updates and the news is every half hour anyways!

NEWSTALK IS GONE TO THE DOGS SINCE BEFORE THE SUMMER!

Also, 30c a txt!!!111

wonder where their new irritaing business correspondent is gone to. hopfully been booted back across the atlantic and put back in her box

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

She is still there 7.25 and 8.25 every morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

^^I don't think she's that bad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Marc Coleman is discussing the anti-Irish bias in the UK press and whether the Irish have a form of self-hatred.

Should be lively!

Marc Coleman is discussing the anti-Irish bias in the UK press and whether the Irish have a form of self-hatred. Should be lively!

*cough, cough* .. Yeah... *cough, cough* it should be lively al- *cough, cough* right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Marc Coleman is discussing the anti-Irish bias in the UK press and whether the Irish have a form of self-hatred.

Should be lively!

if he looked up the amount of posts on boards that have the phrase "it's a bit irish" he'd see plenty of self hatred!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Did anyone listen to Newstalk's new Science program earlier today?

Yeah, I caught a bit of it. Moncrieff's New Scientist Magazine bloke was discussing testicles.

Did anyone listen to Newstalk's new Science program earlier today?

Yeah caught the end of it, I thought it was quite good, enjoyed the piece with the guy who could recite Pi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 joconnor59

:mad: ye since that annoying american lingo came on the radio in the morning
    its a right turn off.. i just switch to rte 1 cos i cant stand listening to that
    wan and her irratating voice...get off the air please !!! its down town ireland not down town america... piss me off it does :mad:

i dont normally listen to newstalk on weekends but flicked the radio on sat morn and didnt change and ended up getting an earfull of henry. are newstalk really that stuck for quality radio at the weekend? I herad that orla barry one has another show at some stupid time.

come on Daimian ask O'Connor how it felt to be booed at the march on Saturday...

come on Daimian ask O'Connor how it felt to be booed at the march on Saturday...

Was that you that texted that exact question in??

Was that you that texted that exact question in??

not me but it their timing was certainly in sync with my post...

All very depressing today :(.... I'm sure this is how the Germans felt after WWI

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement