Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea I had that on,could not believe it what a silly silly mistake to make,I am sure TV3 are not one bit happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

i havent been following this thread but id imagine this has been mentioned already...ken early from off the ball...what the FCUK is with that voice he does when hes reading quotes from people???

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

barryd09 wrote: »
    i havent been following this thread but id imagine this has been mentioned already...ken early from off the ball...what the FCUK is with that voice he does when hes reading quotes from people???

I haven't seen it mentioned before in this thread, but you're spot on.

Granted most utterances from footballers and football managers are completely pointless, but what Early thinks he's at is beyond me.

I haven't seen it mentioned before in this thread, but you're spot on.

Granted most utterances from footballers and football managers are completely pointless, but what Early thinks he's at is beyond me.

its ridicilous!!he sounds almost cartman-ish when hes quoting people :pac::pac:
    especially when he says "ferguson" :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

That's the point, he is taking the piss out of banality of those utterances. Anyway, I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Newstalk's budget website was superb, really well done, Live feeds from the dail with twitter commentry and audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Rubik. wrote: »
    That's the point, he is taking the piss out of banality of those utterances. Anyway, I like it.

Fair enough. If it was funny the first time, it has got pretty tiresome at this stage. If someone has nothing to say, find someone else who does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thought Ivan's interview with Cowan was very good. Imagine Clair Byrne doing that interview eeeekkkk!!!!
    The show has come a long way since then with Ivan and chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Fair enough. If it was funny the first time, it has got pretty tiresome at this stage. If someone has nothing to say, find someone else who does.

He himself isnt a pundit you know, he's a corresspondent who reports what other people have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Thought Ivan's interview with Cowan was very good. Imagine Clair Byrne doing that interview eeeekkkk!!!!
    I agree, Ivan is excellent and Chris is a very good foil for him. While I know Newstalk has a definite tilt towards the right and is far more Business friendly than Union friendly it is very refreshing to have this option available on the dial. At times like these you cant rely on RTE to press their interviewees for answers - Newstalk is as independent as you are going to get in this country and I for one am very grateful for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The show has come a long way since then with Ivan and chris.

so Mr Cowan, Mary Byrne was kicked of x-factor last weekend. your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I agree, Ivan is excellent and Chris is a very good foil for him. While I know Newstalk has a definite tilt towards the right and is far more Business friendly than Union friendly it is very refreshing to have this option available on the dial. At times like these you cant rely on RTE to press their interviewees for answers - Newstalk is as independent as you are going to get in this country and I for one am very grateful for it.

I'm sorry but I couldn't agree less. The purpose of a news reporter - be it Rte or Newstalk is to treat stories impartially. Ivan carries way to much baggaage and can anyone ask him why welfare was cut but betting tax remains at 1% - one of the lowest rates in the world.

I'm sick of the views of Dobson, Hook, Cooper etc . Report the news, don't be it !

Btr wrote: »
    Ivan carries way to much baggaage and can anyone ask him why welfare was cut but betting tax remains at 1% - one of the lowest rates in the world.

I have never heard him mention anything to do with his bookies and on the odd occasion somebody else might mention it he quickly moves on. I find him excellent on the radio. I love the way he pushes the boundaries albeit to far sometimes but for the most part he's very listen-able.

so Mr Cowan, Mary Byrne was kicked of x-factor last weekend. your thoughts?

:)

Btr wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I couldn't agree less. The purpose of a news reporter - be it Rte or Newstalk is to treat stories impartially. Ivan carries way to much baggaage and can anyone ask him why welfare was cut but betting tax remains at 1% - one of the lowest rates in the world.

I'm sick of the views of Dobson, Hook, Cooper etc . Report the news, don't be it !

You may have a point. (Though I am not sure why you have Dobson in there.) Perhaps I like them because they ask the questions that I would like asked and they really persist for answers. For me they are an suitable angry alterative from the more whiny/nagging interviewing styles audible on RTE like Mary Wilson, Marian Finucane and Aine Lawlor (I have nothing against women this trio just came to mind). I sometimes feel like that Howard Beale clip which Hook plays from time to time and Newstalk better reflects that mood.

For me RTE is the state broadcaster and while it clearly does try to be balanced and impartial at times I sometimes feel there are situations which do not deserve to be treated in a balanced fashion. For example the Lisbon treaty broadcasters were obliged to give the same amount of time for and against, but the only people they could get to speak against scare-mongered and had little to no mandate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I agree. I'm sick of hearing the opinions of the broadcasters. Our media is becoming more 'AMericanised' every day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Every time I turn on the Tom Dunne show he is rushing a guest,is this because the show is now only 2 hours...?

I agree. I'm sick of hearing the opinions of the broadcasters. Our media is becoming more 'AMericanised' every day.

To be fair to Hook he introduces his show as news, comment and opinion. In terms of the Americanisation of the media you are correct. There is a danger of broadcasters just preaching to the converted i.e. telling their particular audience what they want to hear. I do think though that there is not only a market but a need for a non-state broadcaster who can question the status quo without fear or favour. While their own (Newstalk's) status as a truly independent station could be questioned, I dont feel they are overly biased.

In fact the very idea of pure news is arguably impossible beyond factual reports like '2 killed in a road accident'. When you get into reporting on political matters it is almost all a matter of opinion. Otherwise reports would just be reading out press releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

To be fair to Hook he introduces his show as news, comment and opinion. In terms of the Americanisation of the media you are correct. There is a danger of broadcasters just preaching to the converted i.e. telling their particular audience what they want to hear. I do think though that there is not only a market but a need for a non-state broadcaster who can question the status quo without fear or favour. While their own (Newstalk's) status as a truly independent station could be questioned, I dont feel they are overly biased.

In fact the very idea of pure news is arguably impossible beyond factual reports like '2 killed in a road accident'. When you get into reporting on political matters it is almost all a matter of opinion. Otherwise reports would just be reading out press releases.

Yea, spot the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Gerry Thornley always sounds like he's eating a bowl of soup.

There I said it.

• Advertisement

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley always sounds like he's eating a bowl of soup.

There I said it.

lol!!

delaad wrote: »
    Yea, spot the news.

The news bulletins are on the hour and half-hour. Everything inbetween is the news filtered by a presenter. In practical terms there is not enough significant factual news to fill air-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The more I see Gerry Thornley recently the more I'm convinced he's trying to look like a vagrant. I saw him walking down the street about a week ago smoking, heavily stubbled and looking half-cut (though I'm quite sure he wasn't as it was only lunchtime) and disheveled and for a second I at first thought was he a tramp. Gerry rocking tramp chic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Mark Coleman is fast becoming one of Irelands most annoying broadcasters.

He needs to learn that coughing while reading a text is not only rude but rather annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

orourkeda wrote: »

He needs to learn that coughing while reading a text is not only rude but rather annoying.

the really annoying thing is, there's a cough button in the studio so that his mic would be turned off for a second while he coughs. sean moncreiff was showing this off a few weeks ago.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

orourkeda wrote: »

ah I posted about this pagggeesss ago... He's ridiculous, makes the show unbearable... I'm sorry if he has some chronic illness but I dont want to hear it on the radio.. It's the main thing that would put me off listening to the show..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The news bulletins are on the hour and half-hour. Everything inbetween is the news filtered by a presenter. In practical terms there is not enough significant factual news to fill air-time.

Are these not simply a list of headlines? Is it too much to ask for some objective analysis anymore, as opposed to endless rants by the presenter and his pet guests about their favourite topics?

Are these not simply a list of headlines? Is it too much to ask for some objective analysis anymore, as opposed to endless rants by the presenter and his pet guests about their favourite topics?

I take your point. Objectivity is harder and harder to find on the dial. I find Matt Cooper and Pat Kenny to be reasonably balanced and measured in their approaches to topics. They don't appear to have any particular agendas, axes to grind.

However people (myself included) like have the option of hearing presenters with opinions which mirror their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Major oops moment on the breakfast show this morning. Never mind announcing who was evicted on the Apprentice a day early. This morning they had a woman on from the SVP who was appealing for funds to help them buy presents
    for parents who otherwise can't afford the presents that were supposed to be coming from Santa
    . Poor Chris kept trying to butt in but she just kept going and going and going. God help her she had good intentions but it was car crash radio. I'd say it caused a few crashes as parents desperately tried to change to another station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ah I posted about this pagggeesss ago... He's ridiculous, makes the show unbearable... I'm sorry if he has some chronic illness but I dont want to hear it on the radio.. It's the main thing that would put me off listening to the show..

Iv texted in on occasion and asked could he refrain from this behaviour while on air. As far as I know its some kind of nervous tick he has.

Iv texted in on occasion and asked could he refrain from this behaviour while on air. As far as I know its some kind of nervous tick he has.

bahahaha i was thinking of texting in myself about it.its annoying but me and my mate in work get a kick out of it and impersonating him the whole time.entire shifts sometimes pass by with every word spoken in Kenglish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Donoghue called it a bankers boner this morning istead of a bonus :D

Also should have done his homework on the Coronation street live show. Telling us how the disbaled character was seen standing up at the end of the show and how the actress isn't actually disabled herself. Sorry Donoghue but the girl is in a wheelchair in real life and it doesn't mean you cant pull your self up against a bar :rolleyes:

Donoghue called it a bankers boner this morning istead of a bonus

Heard that myself. Made me chuckle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the "bankers boner" was one of the few times i wished i could see what was going on in the studio at the time (was on the bus so no access) as clearly the rest of the gang were falling about laughing at it and chris was desperatly trying to keep it together himself.

i think the pretext was talking about nookie at christmas do's earlier. guess the girls at the newstalk crimbo do next week best be on full alert !

good giggle though.

jaysus.

newstalk just reporting from the coroners court that gerry ryan died of a cocaine and alcohol induced cardia arythmia (spl?)

thatll set off liveline today !

• Advertisement

jaysus.

newstalk just reporting from the coroners court that gerry ryan died of a cocaine and alcohol induced cardia arythmia (spl?)

thatll set off liveline today !

I can imagine Joe....move along there now, nothing to see here.

Or the coke was planted by TV3!

I can imagine Joe....move along there now, nothing to see here.

Or the coke was planted by TV3!

i can see the sun headline now.

"Karen Kosta K.Os cokehead ryan in cocaine scandel !"

the redtops are practically writing themselves with this revelation.

I don't listen to Joe but assume he didn't go near the Gerry Ryan story? Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I'm enjoying the new science show on now, nice to hear a something fresh instead of replays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I don't listen to Joe but assume he didn't go near the Gerry Ryan story? Can anyone confirm?
    not so much as a mention!

you wouldnt be expecting joe to deal with that kind of story anyway,what with the way he covered the head shops!!!

usual rte head in sand!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The live commentary is hiliarious, anything exciting and he completely goes nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

mike65 wrote: »
    The live commentary is hiliarious, anything exciting and he completely goes nuts.

Haha, yeah. I remember when Ireland were playing France. He went crazy for all the goals.

At least they seemed to be at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He's out of his depth doing that, isn't he?

What happened to Des Curran doing their commentaries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh he's hopeless, when anything complicated happens he tries to describe it at all, the secret is not to detail fastmoving action but to convey the essense "Modric inside to Pavlichenko - shoots!" and then fill in afterwards - the ball will go dead quite often in football. Ken Early tries to do everything in real time and it can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Oh he's hopeless, when anything complicated happens he tries to describe it at all, the secret is not to detail fastmoving action but to convey the essense "Modric inside to Pavlichenko - shoots!" and then fill in afterwards - the ball will go dead quite often in football. Ken Early tries to do everything in real time and it can't be done.

Agree. I'm guessing that renewing the five live feed of commentaries became too much of a budget issue for NewsTalk, but I would really prefer to listen to the likes of Green, Ingham and Murray (without the poor MW reception) than someone who is inexperienced like Early.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Found Dave Mcintyre's commentary on the rugby very irritating... Hes too giddy and shouty. Comes across as a total amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Message to Chris Donoghue, Newstalk Breakfast show:

Chris, be advised, sometimes the "t" isn't even supposed to be pronounced, let alone emphasised.

Yours sincerly,
    a suffering listener.

tbh wrote: »
    Chris, be advised, sometimes the "t" isn't even supposed to be pronounced, let alone emphasised.

I noticed this also. I feel it fits his precise style.

The only oral quirk which I cant abide is Rachel English's dry mouth which 'clicks'.

Only caught a few mins of The Breakfast Show this morning, and even those few mins were curtailed once I heard mention of the X Factor. The reason I switched to Newstalk all those years ago was I thought they'd ignore shoyte like that but sadly it seems to becoming more and more tabloid every day. Save for Off The Ball, I don't know if it's first choice for me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I noticed this also. I feel it fits his precise style.

I know exactly what you mean - it's a really nice way of putting it.
    However, when I hear him do it, it makes me think he's concious of his (non-radio) accent and is overcompensating.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement