Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Lapin wrote: »
    What was the Nell McMcafferty incident ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wow! Nearly kicked off just there between Chris and Ivan over the public service 'privelege days'.

Its pretty obvious Ivan is irate over it. He really doesnt care about a large percentage of his listeners. His outspoken views will ultimately get him in BIG trouble I would think...refreshing to hear however.

On this issue, I would be in total agreement (public sector reform) with Ivan. No pussyfooting about, telling it like it is. So refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Missed that, I heard Chris cheekily ask Ivan did he do anything about some civil servant quango (forgotten the name) when he was in power just before 8 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard that this morning on breakfast. good to have someone on radio who tells it as he sees it and doesnt care if he upsets people.

Moriarty Tribunal released today, Denis O'Brien (owner of Newstalk) is a central figure having won the mobile phone contract for ESAT, Declan Kilberds show is covering the report right now. It'll be worth paying attention to the tone, extent of dicsussion and if any conclusions are reached on-air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

telekon wrote: »
    Wow! Nearly kicked off just there between Chris and Ivan over the public service 'privelege days'.

Its pretty obvious Ivan is irate over it. He really doesnt care about a large percentage of his listeners. His outspoken views will ultimately get him in BIG trouble I would think...refreshing to hear however.

On this issue, I would be in total agreement (public sector reform) with Ivan. No pussyfooting about, telling it like it is. So refreshing.

It will be interesting to see if Ivan can be so irate in the morning about the Moriarty Tribunal involving Denis O'Brien (owner of Newstalk) and some off his old FG colleagues...

The Moriarty Report states that it is beyond doubt that Micheal Lowery imparted substantive information to Denis O'Brien which was of significant value and assistance to him securing the mobile phone licence.

Will the station which gives us "the news without the State-run spin" do a bit of spinning of its own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Just curious Telekon about what you consider to be public sector reform? Would it be the gospel according to the failed businessman Ivan. Thought we'd all taken enough lectures from him. As for Newstalk, nobody spins more than they do and their coverage of Moriarity has been minimalist to put it mildly

Btr wrote: »
    Just curious Telekon about what you consider to be public sector reform? Would it be the gospel according to the failed businessman Ivan. Thought we'd all taken enough lectures from him. As for Newstalk, nobody spins more than they do and their coverage of Moriarity has been minimalist to put it mildly

I dont know Ivan's views on generic public sector reform. I didnt make myself clear I must admit, I was trying to say I was in total agreement with his views this morning in relation purely to privelege days and also the permanent, pensionable bit. That was it.

Having been in the public sector myself for a longish spell, I did witness a lot of workers taking it for granted, waiting til retirement, generally not giving a sh*t, sick days galore and no repercussions. I think it should generally work along the lines of the private sector and see some accountability come into play. This might sound generalising but this is my own experience in a local authority office environment.

My partner's a teacher so its not just 'having a go at the public sector' time. Just things I experienced and should be weeded out.

Ensuring budgets were spent by the end of the year so as to justify the same budgets the following year was the most disgusting thing. Constantly lumping for the most expensive quote out of 3 to achieve this, I mean come on...no wonder we're broke.:mad:

This is in relation to a particular office environment in two very large authorities. I am not pretending this happens everywhere, just my own experience. I am not referring to the frontline staff such as guards, the fire service and nurses.

• Advertisement

ajc100 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if Ivan can be so irate in the morning about the Moriarty Tribunal involving Denis O'Brien (owner of Newstalk) and some off his old FG colleagues...

Don't think Ivan gives a damn about upsetting FG...his current paymaster on the other hand is a different story. Will he bite the hand that feeds him??

It will be VERY interesting to hear the tone of the conversation taking place on Newstalk... remember, the station "without the state run spin."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Just to note Denis O'Brien also owns Today FM so it may well be back to State-run spin on RTE to get a decent and un-biased on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ajc100 wrote: »

very bland reaction between 7 and 7.30. he basically just said that justice should be let take it's course if there's a case there. had nothing much to say about Michael Lowry as a fellow minister other than his reputation was damaged after the Ben Dunne extension story. didn't really say much about the mobile phone license otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I don't have the time to cite the evidence of the bias/spin of the Breakfast Show coverage of the tribunal this morning. However I felt the anti-tribunal/pro-Dennis O'Brien spin was obvious throughout.

Towards the end of the first part of the coverage they read out some negative text messages which accused them of being bought, comparing them to Fox News etc. They read them without responding. Ordinarily neither Chris or Ivan would let comments like this go without response. However their failure to challenge the comments spoke volumes.

Both presenters have gone down significantly in my estimation. That said if I had a choice between a no-holds-barred assault on my employer and accusations of bias I would probably have done the same. It just illustrates the fact that everyone has an agenda and it is nigh on impossible to find robust comment on proceeding which is free of bias or the influence of a given agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

what happened margaret e ward who was doing the business news for a while??

Uniformly negative response from twitter to breakfast show coverage of tribunal this morning. Here are some of the comments:
    @breakfastnt enjoyed listenin 2 Ivan squirm thruout this mornings show; he knew rightly! #finegael meet the new boss; same as the old boss! see tweet

Hail to the boss RT @aehso @breakfastnt This mornings Denis O'Brien soapbox is stomach turning 'journalism'. Morning Ireland for me from now. see tweet

The coverage of the #moriarty report by @breakfastnt is a new low in Irish broadcating. Bought & paid for the lot of them!
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

Ivan Yates on @breakfastnt has a huge conflict of interest discussing #moriarty given he was a member of that gov and now works for dob
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt Denis O'Brien chose his words very carefully in interview. "There is no proof whatsoever of any money going from me to O'Leary"
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt O'Brientalk Radio - what a joke. State run spin replaced with DOB Spin.
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt Grovelling Unprofessional Biased Underwhelming
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt The end of Impartial Journalism?
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt So now we know why Ivan got the gig! :) #conspiracy
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

Right, I'm switching this spin off. Denis FM 106 @breakfastnt #moriarty
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt Saying Lowry & O'Brien had no chat bout licence in Hartigans is like saying Cowen didnt mention Anglo to Fitz at golf outing
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt ivan isn't on his high horse as much about a corrupt cabinet colleague as he is about privilege days shock horror
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt Journalists or fanboys. Time to step up or get out of the business!
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

Who's your daddy, who's your daddy @breakfastnt ??? coverage of #moriarty !!!! Need I tweet more?
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

Totally disappointed with @breakfastnt coverage of #moriarty - had actully expected more but it's so biased. Hello Morning Ireland
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@Con_Morty: @breakfastnt Ivan will now go on one of his trademark "rants" against privilege days but not Lowry...who's your boss?
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

Thank God for State media. @breakfastnt is a naked PR campaign by organ-grinder DO'B, marshalling his monkeys to rubbish #moriartyreport
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt doing an outstanding job on behalf of Dennis O' Brien in rubbishing the Moriarty Report.
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

#breakfastnt DOB gets to answer the questions he wants through a carefully planned and rehearsed media strategy.
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

@breakfastnt News with an Esat sponsored spin?
    [URL=" tweet[/URL]

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Towards the end of the first part of the coverage they read out some negative text messages which accused them of being bought, comparing them to Fox News etc. They read them without responding. Ordinarily neither Chris or Ivan would let comments like this go without response. However their failure to challenge the comments spoke volumes.

Spoke volumes indeed. Its like they were thinking, "yea, ok, ye're right. we can't defend the indefensible, we'll take it on the chin etc".

Disappointing stuff. Very disappointing. Ivan couldnt wait to turn the attention back to the privilege days again...given the circumstances, that should most definitely have taken the back seat today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Didn't think the "state run spin" adds would come back to haunt them so soon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Don't forget that tax exile Dennis O'Brien who left Ireland for tax purposes after he sold Esat to BT,also has considerable interests in Independent newspapers,Today FM, 98FM, Spin FM.
    A latter day Hearst. Considering the precarious nature of any job in the media these days unless you're lucky enough to worke for RTE, a lot of "journalists" will, be slow to be criticise O'Brien. Our media are pretty pathetic anyway so I wouldn't hold out much hope of objective coverage on almost any subject.
    O'Brien was virtually given a standing ovation on the LLS when he sold ESAT to BT and he then promptly legged it to whatever tax haven he went to.It didn't stop him writing articles advising the country on what to do in our current economic mess.

A latter day Hearst. Considering the precarious nature of any job in the media these days unless you're lucky enough to worke for RTE, a lot of "journalists" will, be slow to be criticise O'Brien. Our media are pretty pathetic anyway so I wouldn't hold out much hope of objective coverage on almost any subject.

Any country where an "article" by Alison O'Riordan can get published in a national rag *cough*...I mean 'newspaper', obviously has serious issues with its print media...

Listening to Hook grilling Lowry now. Hes giving him a good going over for what it is worth.

Again I would love to have the time to pick apart Lowry's responses.
    They are a masterclass in disingenuous, subterfuge, double-talk and deliberate use of logical fallacies.

• Advertisement

Listening to Hook grilling Lowry now. Hes giving him a good going over for what it is worth.

The interview was going along fine until Lowry said he hadn't received any payments from Denis O'Brien or from anyone on his behalf and Hook replied - "I know that".

It was also very unlike Geogre not to read out any texts or tweets affer such a contentious item. I assume most of them would be very much like the ones you posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I don't have the time to cite the evidence of the bias/spin of the Breakfast Show coverage of the tribunal this morning. However I felt the anti-tribunal/pro-Dennis O'Brien spin was obvious throughout.
    DenisTalk 106.

Despicable coverage really. I actually listened to it to see would they redeem themselves in any way. Needless to say they didn't. In fact they seemed to repeat the whole process again in the second hour.

Yates was MIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Anybody know the theme they play at the start of the Football Show on Off the Ball?

No, it's not the DJ Shadow song or the Maradonna one I'm asking about. Cheers!

Anybody know the theme they play at the start of the Football Show on Off the Ball?

No, it's not the DJ Shadow song or the Maradonna one I'm asking about. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The coverage of the Moriarty Report this week has really shown up the danger of allowing a single individual to hold such a dominant position in the national media - and I say that as a regular Newstalk listener.

The day of the report RTE was the only option for unbiased commentary.

This is a real problem - even Murdoch has to sell off Sky News in the UK.

Pattern emerging here.

Ivan in the studio with Shane Coleman now, Chris 'relegated' to correspondent from Brussels, ala Washington for Paddy's Day.

Why is it not Shane cast out to foreign lands? Seems clear the Newstalk bosses prefer him in the studio, co-hosting with Ivan.

Storm-a-brewing...poor Chris. :(

I've found that I'm not listening to NT breakfast much these days, nothing to do with Coleman who I like (prefer to Chris) but everything to do with Ivan Yates who has gone from being refreshingly free-style to annoyingly random and ill-disiplined. The shows producer really needs to start reigning him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

telekon wrote: »
    Storm-a-brewing...poor Chris. :(
    Not really. He isn't up to it. He is fine in a reporter role, let him to it.

Aidric wrote: »
    Not really. He isn't up to it. He is fine in a reporter role, let him to it.

Agreed, he is a much better reporter. It is still most definitely a demotion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If only RTE could convince Mary Wilson to repeat the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i actually like chris with ivan and dont really get the criticism, mind you he's comming after clair byrne and i fecking loath her so that may colour my view. shane isnt really doing it for me but then he's only been in a wet week so ill give him a chance.

must say chris sounds far more confident as a reporter, he's just did a bit for newstalks 1pm show in brussels and i near didnt recognaise him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

that friday panel this morning was dreadful. more slamming the tribunal for costs etc, laughing it off as an irish solution to an irish problem. margaret e ward in to say that people from outside of ireland think it was a ridiculous waste of money etc etc.
    then moved on to ming flanagan, and the anger that came out was ridiculous. brian purcell claiming he couldn't sleep cos this man was getting away with smoking weed. bollox to that.

had to switch off at that stage. it's become a farce in the past week.

i actually like chris with ivan and dont really get the criticism, mind you he's comming after clair byrne and i fecking loath her so that may colour my view. shane isnt really doing it for me but then he's only been in a wet week so ill give him a chance.

must say chris sounds far more confident as a reporter, he's just did a bit for newstalks 1pm show in brussels and i near didnt recognaise him.

I like chris and ivan too. Even their inane slagging of eachother is sometimes enjoyable. However, i prefer shane in the studio. Chris is doing a fine job reporting. Finally a balance to the breakfast show. I agree, its come a long way from the drivel served up by claire byrne and ger gilroy, the latter who was unfairly shafted i thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I stopped listening to the breakfast show regularly a while ago, so I can only go on what I've read and heard about their lame analysis of the Moriarty Report and all the spin around it......but did anyone really believe the whole 'no-nonsense, straight talking' image that Yates has always tried to portray?

I'm glad he's been found out, always thought it was contrived.

Sarah Carey has been resigned from the Irish Times, her show Talking Point has something to talk about at 9am tomorrow then!

mike65 wrote: »
    ....her show Talking Point has something to talk about at 9am tomorrow then!

Yeah, it should be interesting. I mean, she can't let us down.........no she definitely won't, I just looked at the impressive description of the show on the Newstalk website.
    Talking Point with Sarah Carey reviews not just the news, but the news makers of the week, taking an in-depth look at the main story and issues of the week. We look behind the headlines and look for the facts behind the fiction.

So no spin at all, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

"has been resigned", does this mean she has resigned mike? Should make upcoming show more interesting alright.

She was fired in all but name I think we can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

that friday panel this morning was dreadful. more slamming the tribunal for costs etc, laughing it off as an irish solution to an irish problem. margaret e ward in to say that people from outside of ireland think it was a ridiculous waste of money etc etc.
    then moved on to ming flanagan, and the anger that came out was ridiculous. brian purcell claiming he couldn't sleep cos this man was getting away with smoking weed. bollox to that.

had to switch off at that stage. it's become a farce in the past week.

Yeah had to switch off there too. Absolute rubbish. You can drink any amount of alcohol, regardless of how harmful it is, and still have the moral high ground because it's legal and hash isn't. Riveting analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well in fairness to her her guest on her show broached both her sacking and the tribunals results with a questioning of the power o brien possese in relation to the media and whether something should be done about it in the first 10 min or so.

like the rest of ya i dont expect wailing and gnashing but others wouldve ran a mile so i have to credit her with that at least (and im not a mad fan, only listening now as its saturday, the dead day of radio.)

I don't think it was a matter she could have avoided while retaining whatever remains of her crediblity.

I missed Sarah Carey this morning, will have to listen back, but at least she faced the music......didn't think she would even show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

mike65 wrote: »
    Sarah Carey has been resigned from the Irish Times, her show Talking Point has something to talk about at 9am tomorrow then!
    The moment I heard her voice, I switched over to The Hamilton Scores. After that awful Prime Time performance, she's toast.

I didn't think it was possible, but Bobby Kerr is getting worse.

Cannot listen to him, sounds like a drunken vagrant who wandered into a studio. Today FM for business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Chris O'Donoghue's inability to pronounce the letter T is really starting to get to me in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Switch off?

Chris O'Donoghue's inability to pronounce the letter T is really starting to get to me in the mornings.

I think his ability to pronounce the letter T is over developed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Is he just paranoid about the Irish soft 't' or what ? it's all I can hear now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When he says "Saturday" it's most prominent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement