Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Who in the name of God is standing in for Tom Dunne???

Aoibheann someone, or other never heard her surname.

God she is awful. Is Tom Dunne trying to make sure that he only picks bad presenters so it'll make him seem better when he comes back?

Christ, Sile Seoige or even that Barry wan are better. Time to turn the dial methinks.

It's Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin, former winner of the Lovely Girls Competition in Tralee and former partner of Ryan Tubbers. She seems to say "good stuff" quite a lot although I thought she did well when George Byrne was on. He was reviewing a new film called "Point Blank" and said this is not to be confused with the 1967 film Point Blank directed by John Boorman blah blah blah. Aoibhinn replied that she thought he was referring to that film :D. Good stuff!

I wouldn't be surprised if George Byrne had a giant folder at home with lists of all of his favourite things. Last week he reeled off to Tom Dunne each of his favourite soccer team from practically every country in Europe (yawn). Rangers was his favourite Scottish team (how unsurprisingly controversial :rolleyes:).

Today Aoibhinn asked him his favourite ever gig. He gave us about 10 of his favourite gigs before even pausing for breath. Aoibhinn said "I only asked you for one" :D. Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Who in the name of God is standing in for Tom Dunne???

Aoibheann someone, or other never heard her surname.

God she is awful. Is Tom Dunne trying to make sure that he only picks bad presenters so it'll make him seem better when he comes back?

Christ, Sile Seoige or even that Barry wan are better. Time to turn the dial methinks.

I was pleasantly surprised with her to be honest. She was pretty good.

And I had my phasers all set for 'hate' too purely due to her relations with Tubridy. Ah well...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

telekon wrote: »
    And I had my phasers all set for 'hate' too purely due to her relations with Tubridy. Ah well...:(

That's a bit harsh man. She broke up with him didn't she?

I actually thought she was decent enough, although I only listened to snatches here and there, not the whole show.

I don't understand how she can be a teacher and do other work on the side as well, seems wrong somehow. Shouldn't she stick to the teaching and not be leaving the kids with subs all the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Her students are on holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

was just about to say that!! she's a maths and applied maths teacher isn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

While we are on the topic of Tom Dunne, does anyone think hes just manipulated the show to suit him, every interview is with someone from a band or talking about his favourite music and blabbing on about songs no one cares about, its grand from time to time and was interesting at first but now its just annoying me....

jimmyw wrote: »
    There was a wan reading the news yesterday evening (Tues) during Hookys show and she was talking about the story about the fella who got shot in the caravan park, and she got a slip of the tongue when she said" shot in the boty" instead of body .I could tell from her tone of voice that she was trying to keep in the laugh but obviously couldnt laugh.Around the 1.50 mark.

Part 2
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/tuesday/1/popup

She just about got away with that one. She was lucky that she had a clip to play, otherwise it would've got seriously embarrassing for her.
    I remember a few years ago when Dunphy used to do The Last Word, the newsreader started with the line : "The Penguin has been arrested in Amsterdam". She must've pictured this in her mind and found it hilariously funny because she couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the news report. I can't remember her ever reading the news again. :D

This clip is the best ever, in my opinion. He's talking about an upcoming interview with Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary but it all goes horribly wrong: :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpNravrwZc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ní Shúilleabháin and Tubridy now share the same agent. There's a few more interesting faces in there...

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Rubik. wrote: »
    Ní Shúilleabháin and Tubridy now share the same agent. There's a few more interesting faces in there...

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

I can imagine the type of people that work at that 'talent' agency...a lot of "dah-lings" going on by ponytailed D4 heads with slicked back hair and ponytails with massive 80s style mobile phones. Bleurgh...

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    I can imagine the type of people that work at that 'talent' agency...a lot of "dah-lings" going on by ponytailed D4 heads with slicked back hair and ponytails with massive 80s style mobile phones. Bleurgh...

I'm trying to imagine their staff Christmas party if all the "celebrities" on their books turn up to it. The Point Theatre wouldn't be big enough to hold all those over-inflated egos. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks. I thought she was a primary teacher for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

At least Aoibihinn Ni Shjewfhtddhj is vaguely interesting to listen to. Miles better than that airhead Sile Seoige.

OffTheBall is great craic, hell knows how they think of so many little gags. But you have to be in to sports of course.

Lunchtime is another good show. Should be given an extra half-hour at the expense of Moncrief, which is decent but drags a bit.

Yeates is decent too, but really needs to cut back a bit on the tedious pervyness.

Hook is a bit boring when he isn't discussing current affairs.

Orla Barry has a really annoying laugh.

Mark Coleman is annoying with his relentless interruptions.

Only like Henry McKean when he's at a big event reporting (Eurovision, Royal Wedding, World Cup, etc)

Did anyone hear the lecturer sticking up for David Norris on The Dunphy Show this morning? She said that Norris didn't say anything at all controversial. When confronted with the fact that Norris had said that for some victims of child abuse, the condemnation is worse than the actual experience itself, she replied that she hadn't heard that before. :rolleyes:

She then came up with the usual stuff about people being anti-Norris having a homophobic agenda. YAWN.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/the-dunphy-show/fergus-finlay-and-panel-on-norris-irish-presidency/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Did anyone hear the lecturer sticking up for David Norris on The Dunphy Show this morning? She said that Norris didn't say anything at all controversial. When confronted with the fact that Norris had said that for some victims of child abuse, the condemnation is worse than the actual experience itself, she replied that she hadn't heard that before. :rolleyes:

She then came up with the usual stuff about people being anti-Norris having a homophobic agenda. YAWN.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/the-dunphy-show/fergus-finlay-and-panel-on-norris-irish-presidency/
    Yep, I heard it. I thought she (Karen Divine?) put up a reasonable defence of Norris. She made some reasonable points about what Norris actually said in the context of broader points he was making. I don't think it's unreasonable to judge Norris's comments in light of his also wearing an academic hat. He is after all as much an academic as a senator. And I sincerely hope academics are not precluded from political office because their minds might be broader than a lawyer's, or because they might have more scope than a schoolteacher.

I was very much of the view that the others on the panel were ploughing an establishment furrow. One of the panellists (Pat Leahy?) seemed to think it was alright to take comments out of context simply because we are in campaign mode. Another (Ger Colleran) sneered at the nature of academic communication. Like tabloid communication is on a higher, more valuable plane. Puhleeese.

Having said all the above, I do think Norris has a tendency to shoot his mouth off (the interview with Aine Lawlor was a case in point - Norris just keeps on digging), and this will ultimately undermine his campaign. Regardless of that, I'd prefer he got his name on the ballot paper and voters were given the opportunity to decide if they want someone conventional or unconventional in the Park.

McDave wrote: »
    Yep, I heard it. I thought she (Karen Divine?) put up a reasonable defence of Norris.

I don't know how you could think that Karen Devine put up a reasonable defence of Norris. When Dunphy confronted her with that quote about the condemnation being worse than the abuse itself, she was left floundering with nothing to say except a pathetic "I didn't hear that comment".

And to state that there was an undercurrent of hompohobia among the guests in the studio was just plain silly and stupid. If that's the best she can do, she'd be better off keeping her mouth shut.

• Advertisement

It's a much more measured approach from Dunphy this time than last week, where he was falling over himself to agree with Waters. But much like last Sunday, Dunphy and some of the guests are again misrepresenting what Norris actually said.

I don't know how you could think that Karen Devine put up a reasonable defence of Norris. When Dunphy confronted her with that quote about the condemnation being worse than the abuse itself, she was left floundering with nothing to say except a pathetic "I didn't hear that comment".

And to state that there was an undercurrent of hompohobia among the guests in the studio was just plain silly and stupid. If that's the best she can do, she'd be better off keeping her mouth shut.
    Just giving my opinion Harry.

In general, I'm not a major fan of Norris. He's a bit egotistical and attention-seeking for my taste. However, I'm not comfortable with the extent to which he's being bashed. I've no doubt there are plenty of commentators out there in the media plugging for particular candidates, and others just getting in their controversy oars. I'm certainly not going to play to their agendas.

On the basis of what I heard, Devine made some salient points about Norris's 'Greek' and 'age of consent' comments, i.e. that they were made in certain contexts, and that they are now being taken out of context. She got no support from the panel on those points. But nobody refuted her on them either. But I guess it's easier for the likes of Colleran to trot out a populist response than agree on a strict point about accurate reporting. He'd naturally prefer the editorial latitude a bit of vagueness gives him.

Her response to the Lawlor point was weak for sure. But two out of three ain't bad.

Like I say, Norris should be putting a sock in it. And that will probably be his undoing. But I'm not going to beat up on him for not being a conformist, so long as he stays within the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Hi,

Can you reference where he actually said that (bold) and in what context it was stated in, as to opossed where it is stated as fact based on what Dunphy says what Norris said.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Karen Devine's credibility was undermined when she described Norris as 'the one politician who has actually spoken out about abuse'

That's a ridiculous comment and very insulting to the many politicians who have consistently campaigned on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just listening back to the podcast now... I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.. He has said a number of outrageous things in the past, and if he came out with anything similar while he was President he would embarrass the country.. But like the panel said, anybody who criticised him is branded as homophobic...

It also bugs me that we have Dunphy (who pulls 300k from RTE alone for talking football), and Fergus Finlay (who wont tell us how much he pulls from Barnardo's) both pontificating to us about social injustice and the poor... Gimme a break....

• Advertisement

I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.
    I'd agree with this. I wouldn't give him my vote for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McDave wrote: »
    Another (Ger Colleran) sneered at the nature of academic communication. Like tabloid communication is on a higher, more valuable plane. Puhleeese.
    He's some piece of work is Colleran. He makes a habit out of taking the moral high ground, all the while putting out a smutty rag on the news shelves every day.

Aidric wrote: »
    He's some piece of work is Colleran.

Well I dont normally agree with you, but I've never liked this lad either.. He berated "the convicted criminal" (i.e. done for drink driving once) Gerald keane on a radio show last year, and wouldnt even lower himself to conduct a discussion with Keane as such ... YET he has no problem filling in for Dunphy (who has been convicted numerous times for drink driving and driving without insurance).. I mean just be consistent Ger ffs...

I think Dunphy's show has become a bit too pal-sy though.. Colleran, Gurdgiev and others "friends" appear frequently on the panel.. and they generally dictate the direction of the argument regardless of who the other contributors are.. I thought his whole premise was that he "wouldnt allow anybody on the show to talk BS".. not that whoever he had on the show had to agree with his opinion..

oh and ...

"Fighting Irish: A top Irish soccer star was decked in the team hotel"..

Can anybody help me out with this.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

SkidMark wrote: »
    Karen Devine's credibility was undermined when she described Norris as 'the one politician who has actually spoken out about abuse'

That's a ridiculous comment and very insulting to the many politicians who have consistently campaigned on the subject.

Precisely. How much did he contribute to Chistine Buckley's advocacy for those who suffered in the prison laundries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I think Dunphy's show has become a bit too pal-sy though.. Colleran, Gurdgiev and others "friends" appear frequently on the panel.. ..

Its always been that way though. Remember Jeffery Wheatcroft - he used to be on practically every day and was treated as an authority on everything.

Disaster for him when they cancelled the Dunphy morning show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just listening back to the podcast now... I think the crux of the issue with Norris is that he is not disciplined enough to be President.. He has said a number of outrageous things in the past, and if he came out with anything similar while he was President he would embarrass the country.. But like the panel said, anybody who criticised him is branded as homophobic...

It also bugs me that we have Dunphy (who pulls 300k from RTE alone for talking football), and Fergus Finlay (who wont tell us how much he pulls from Barnardo's) both pontificating to us about social injustice and the poor... Gimme a break....

In this case, it's probably true given your record of posts about gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Its always been that way though. Remember Jeffery Wheatcroft - he used to be on practically every day and was treated as an authority on everything.

Disaster for him when they cancelled the Dunphy morning show.

Not to mention Robert Fisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mike65 wrote: »

Fisk had a much higher profile though - he would be occasionally interviewed on middle eastern matters on for example BBC Newsnight.

Wheatcroft sank without trace afaik - certainly in terms of Irish media - when Dunphy finished the morning show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Where Off the Ball tonight??

No Ken?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

barryd09 wrote: »
    Where Off the Ball tonight??

No Ken?!?!

roadshow in galway tonight, finished at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

no football show for the summer

It will be back in the middle of July.

In this case, it's probably true given your record of posts about gay people.

You must trawl through threads all day looking for things to take offense at do you?

Clitoris was mentioned at about 9.10 this morning! the comment went "X (Fianna Fail?) knows where the political clitoris is " There was a slight pause and stutter from the host as a shared giggle threatened to break out and then they recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Clitoris was mentioned at about 9.10 this morning! the comment went "X (Fianna Fail?) knows where the political clitoris is " There was a slight pause and stutter from the host as a shared giggle threatened to break out and then they recovered.

Did the Priest say that Iggy something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Or Duncan "Vol au Vent":D

Did the Priest say that Iggy something?

Father Iggy O'Donovan - Bertie Ahern was the nations clitoris stimulator.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Father Iggy O'Donovan - Bertie Ahern was the nations clitoris stimulator.
    I didn't much care for the mention of clitoris and Ahern in the same sentence. It's deeply disrespectful to clitoriseses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Why is a priest talking about clits? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

el diablo wrote: »
    Why is a priest talking about clits? :confused:

I knew a Father Clint Power once, maybe he was having a go at him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Theres a Brian Lenihan special on now hosted by Marc Coleman.

Its bad.

Very bad

With the amount of spluttering tonight, I found myself with the reflex reaction of wiping my face at the end of each of Coleman's sentences..

That "tribute" was just bizarre.. included were soundbites of TV3 releasing the news early of his cancer... and his statement that "we all partied", which REALLY bugged the sh1t out of everybody, and got him a lot of personal criticism..

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show? He must have his own seat in that studio by now. Apart from his "burn the bondholders" mantra, he doesn't seem to have much else to say.

Yep, once again Dunphy had his mates round for a chat about the same old same old, he read out a few texts from peeps who are getting rather bored with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating.

For a moment there I thought you were refering to Marc Coleman as well.

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show? He must have his own seat in that studio by now. Apart from his "burn the bondholders" mantra, he doesn't seem to have much else to say.
    Like it!

Having said that, CR is someone I do pay attention to. The Euro-critical stage is a pretty crowded one these days, but he is coherent and articulate.

But there's always the risk of overplaying your hand and trying to outperform your rivals. IT and RTE excepted, there's almost an approaching consensus out there in the Irish media that the Euro is done for. The problem is the popular analysis that failed to pick up on our collapse broadly lacks the rigour to plot a likely way through the crisis towards a solution, preferring to focus on the proliferation of bad news. As far as CG is concerned, I frequently get the impression that he's a good bit smarter than the current crop of doom-sayers, hedging his bets on which way the Euro is going to fall. It'll be interesting to see how he comports himself if (when) the Eurozone starts to pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Anyone else getting bored of listening to Constantly Regurgitating, sorry Constantin Gurdgiev on the Dunphy Show?

What's boring about listening to an intelligent and articulate contributor?

I'd be more worried about Dunphy's fawning over his guests.

Aidric wrote: »
    What's boring about listening to an intelligent and articulate contributor?

Nothing but he does seem to say the same thing over and over again. I agree with most of what he says but he seems to be becoming a permanent fixture on the Dunphy Show these days. I crave some variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Anyone have an idea what's happened to Damien Kiberd? Been off air for weeks, no reference to it on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement