Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Rather than shutting, I'd say O'Brien will make the case to formally make today fm just music, and newstalk just talk, with things like The Last Word and Sam Smyth moving over.
    Sounds good. Moncrief followed by Matt Cooper would be a Radio 1 killer in my book (unless they replace Mary Wilson). Sam Smyth instead of Dunphy/Colleran would also be an improvement. And, while they're at it, send Tom Dunne back to Today FM, from which he should never have been moved, and pull D'Arcy into his slot.

So then, weekdays you'd have Breakfast, followed by D'Arcy, Lunchtime, Moncrief, Cooper and Off The Ball - sounds like a good line-up to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

serfboard wrote: »
    Sounds good. Moncrief followed by Matt Cooper would be a Radio 1 killer in my book (unless they replace Mary Wilson). Sam Smyth instead of Dunphy/Colleran would also be an improvement. And, while they're at it, send Tom Dunne back to Today FM, from which he should never have been moved, and pull D'Arcy into his slot.

So then, weekdays you'd have Breakfast, followed by D'Arcy, Lunchtime, Moncrief, Cooper and Off The Ball - sounds like a good line-up to me.

Nearly a good lineup. Anyone but D'arcy and it would be a real radio 1 killer. Keep D'Arcy out of that lineup and well away from Newstalk.

Nearly a good lineup. Anyone but D'arcy and it would be a real radio 1 killer. Keep D'Arcy out of that lineup and well away from Newstalk.
    Yeah, D'Arcy seems to attract a fair amount of vitriol here. Wanna suggest someone else instead? Dempsey, Hector ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Yeah, D'Arcy seems to attract a fair amount of vitriol here. Wanna suggest someone else instead? Dempsey, Hector ...?

I think newstalk should stick to the news and debate in the mornings.

I think Derek Davis would be a good choice to put it up to PK.

Definitely keep Moncrieff where is is, the best show on radio without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

derek davis amazed me a while back.

i didnt think he'd be capable of the harder hiting stuff but he was really good when he stood in for either dunphy or hook once .

considering coleman cant even talk properly its mad he hasnt got a gig.

thats a good line up alright though.

only difference i'd make is stick with BOTH dunphy and smyth.

put one on sat and one on the sunday. theres NOTHING on bloody saturday besides RTE who must be getting market share by default now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

...or Olivia O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Brendan O'Connor would be good in the mornings on Newstalk. He is a tough talker despite having become more wishy-washy on his RTE tv show. I imagine he would be a good all-rounder on all topics and has a strong personality to boot.

Just to vent: I can't believe how rubbish Eddie Hobbs is on the radio. He's good at advising people on their personal finances but he's absolute garbage as a stand-in for George Hook. It's obvious that he holds very right wing views but tries to mask this unlike Mark Coleman who makes no apologies. He just strikes me as smug and he seems to really fancy himself. He keeps putting on silly voices and fake-laughing, he's like an embarrassing drunken uncle at Christmas.

I really hope this is his last day at the helm, I would even rather listen to the supersub Davenport presenting The Right Hook. Hobbs is just unimaginably bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Just to vent: I can't believe how rubbish Eddie Hobbs is on the radio. He's good at advising people on their personal finances but he's absolute garbage as a stand-in for George Hook.

The best stand in was that professor cant think of his name but he was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I'd just love to punch Coleman in the face.
    It'd give me a satisfaction so great it would border on sexual pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

You'd think Newstalk was some radical right wing propaganda machine to go by some of the comments on here. Haven't you people ever heard of Fox News? If you're ever in the US, look at Fox News to get an idea of what right wing is.

And if Newstalk is right wing, then what is left wing among the Irish media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It is amusing, Ireland has never elected a left wing government (or even come close really) and yet right wing commentators are treated like pariahs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    It is amusing, Ireland has never elected a left wing government (or even come close really) and yet right wing commentators are treated like pariahs.

But a big part of that is we don't really have a left right split,it has on till very recently been all about civil war bull crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

coonecb1 wrote: »
    You'd think Newstalk was some radical right wing propaganda machine to go by some of the comments on here. Haven't you people ever heard of Fox News? If you're ever in the US, look at Fox News to get an idea of what right wing is.

And if Newstalk is right wing, then what is left wing among the Irish media?

You dont need to be in the US to see foxnews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

John Waters seems to be a resident contributor on the Dunphy show:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

jimmyw wrote: »
    John Waters seems to be a resident contributor on the Dunphy show:confused:.

I don't know why they keep calling it The Dunphy Show. They should call it The Ger Colleran Show at this stage seeing as Dunphy only occasionally fills in for Colleran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I don't know why they keep calling it The Dunphy Show. They should call it The Ger Colleran Show at this stage seeing as Dunphy only occasionally fills in for Colleran.

i like colleran , hes an obnoxious ignorant culchie prick , love how disrespectfull he is to people in high places

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i like colleran , hes an obnoxious ignorant culchie prick , love how disrespectfull he is to people in high places

Given the weekend shows largely concentrate on what is making the headlines in the national papers, there is too much of a conflict of interest having one of the editors as a substitute host.

once i heard the words, ger colleran, david norris and john waters.

i turned off.

eamon cant get back quick enough for me as this is bloody torture.

two of his collegues , john o donovan and simon gallagher , were just let go and this was their last show as employees . from some of the stuff said things are up in the air medium term at the station.

kinda sad to see people lose their job but in this enviroment im amazed its not happeing at RTE so loss making newstalk is a no brainer.

Seems it has a lot to do with the 450K that had to be paid out to Mary Harney...

NEWSTALK – Great men out the door – John O’Donovan and Simon Gallagher

The Harney libel case payout of €450,000 has impinged on finances to a
    large extent. It appears that the recession is hammering the best
    station in the land per € spent. Advertising is seriously down, I have
    been told.
    €450,000 would pay for a lot of staff.

http://www.billtormey.ie/2011/07/29/newstalk-great-men-out-the-door-john-odonovan-and-simon-gallagher/

Must be a bit arkward for Tom Dunne and Joe Donnelly to be around the Newstalk office these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Do you really believe that?

Kevin Myers, David Quinn, John Waters, Eamon Dunphy, Eoghan Harris - all of them employed by major newspapers, and all have been current affairs radio contributors for years and years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris Donoghue needs to consider whether he has a future as a presenter. His vocabulary range is just not good enough and he actually seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

This morning, in reference to the Fas perks, he used the word "employmentisation" in a question.

Only a guy completely out of his depth would come out with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Coleman made some balls up of that intro.. :D

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    This morning, in reference to the Fas perks, he used the word "employmentisation" in a question.

I noticed that non-words frequently pop out of presenters and contributors mouths. Odd conflations like Unescapable and Irregardless. Oh for the benefit of proper educashun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I noticed that non-words frequently pop out of presenters and contributors mouths. Odd conflations like Unescapable and Irregardless. Oh for the benefit of proper educashun.

In fairness "unescapable" is at least in the same ballpark as inescapable.

Employmentisation is just completly unacceptable if NT want this show to be taken seriously

Maybe Chris is a fan of the great Stanley Unwin

Jaysus Christ Mark Coleman should see a doctor. Every night that he presents his show he's coughing and struttering into the mic while trying to cover it up which is actually making it worse.

He reminds me of that character from The Fast Show who was always in his shed and couldn't finish a sentence without spluttering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I asked about Colemans cough before and someone mentioned bronchitis.

It almost comes across like Tourettes or a vocal tick of some sort.

i dont buy the bronchitis excuse.

i think its a good ol fashioned stress induced reaction to having to broadcast.

He's literally choking.

not a million miles away from what sam smyth does when he goes all wonky too.

ya can forgive that when your starting out as the nerves would hit anyone but the blokes (both of em) have been broadcasting for ages now.

its unprofessional IMO.

The Strokes on Newstalk! 2 of my favourite discoveries of the last 10 years. Brilliant! :):):)

BTW, if Newstalk ever goes under (as the recent posts on boards would seem to hint at) I don't know what I'll do, as I am so hooked on the right hook and off the ball, that the thought of anything else scares me stiff!

Why can't Newstalk make a profit? It boggles the mind considering the quality of output! What's wrong with this country!!

• Advertisement

A brilliant station.

I too will miss it badly if it goes.

Off the Ball, Futureproof, Talking History, The Wide Angle, Moncriff - where else would you get it.

The content of some of these shows are very informative and you wouldn't hear of it from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

Jaysus Christ Mark Coleman should see a doctor. Every night that he presents his show he's coughing and struttering into the mic while trying to cover it up which is actually making it worse.

He reminds me of that character from The Fast Show who was always in his shed and couldn't finish a sentence without spluttering.

Mark Coleman is the new Bob Fleming. You're right though, it's very irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Good to hear Damien "Damo" Kiberd back on at lunch time.

When Hookie is away has Damo ever filled in for him anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

When Hookie is away has Damo ever filled in for him anyone know?

Where is Johner as Damo calls him gone?

Its like musical chairs in Newstalk at the moment, Ivan is off again next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I like the sharpness Kiberd brings to the lunchtime show. It's a pity it goes at half one, even though it does start at midday.

Down the years, NewsTalk have demonstrated that they can get decent shows on at all the peak news slots, e.g.:

- morning: McW and Dunphy;
    - lunch: Kiberd and Keane; and
    - evening: Dunphy and Hook [in his prime].

The real trick is to get a decent line-out for all three slots at the same time. Far more people would leave the dial at NewsTalk as a result. It's a big ask though. Not even RTE can deliver all-day line-ups that cut the mustard for me. Can't stand Aine Lawlor and Mary Wilson. Both send me diving for the zapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I like the mixup of Kiberd and healy on lunchtime.. And I LOVE Off The Ball.. Was on the way to work last nite and I heard them talking about Ken's number 12 ranking in the Knobhead Of The Year Awards.. was hilarious...

And then on the way back at 3am this morning I heard the repeat of Moncreiff with actor Mark O'Halloran, and it was hilarious as well.. I usually turn off Moncreiff when I hear the stupid story that he normally starts the show with at 1:30 (I think).. y'know what I mean.. He picks the most stupid story that he can find on the web and reads it out.. But I can see now why people suggest him as a possible replacement for Tupperhead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I like the mixup of Kiberd and healy on lunchtime.. And I LOVE Off The Ball.. Was on the way to work last nite and I heard them talking about Ken's number 12 ranking in the Knobhead Of The Year Awards.. was hilarious...

And then on the way back at 3am this morning I heard the repeat of Moncreiff with actor Mark O'Halloran, and it was hilarious as well.. I usually turn off Moncreiff when I hear the stupid story that he normally starts the show with at 1:30 (I think).. y'know what I mean.. He picks the most stupid story that he can find on the web and reads it out.. But I can see now why people suggest him as a possible replacement for Tupperhead..

As someone who really disliked him on TV years ago I have to say Moncrief is a class act on Newstalk - very entertaining with intelligent questions, a natural for radio.When 4:30 rolls by and Hook comes on you can certainly tell the difference in talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Was it just a tasteless imagination on my part or did I really hear that Sarah Carey yoke, in a discussion about breast cancer yesterday morning, refer to it as "one of the more fashionable cancers"?

Oh yes indeed, she did, right here (go to 30.40)

Hang on, I can't wait to develop breast cancer as it's so much more "fashionable". :o What a numpty.

Nice to know that Denis O'Brien is looking after her by giving her this slot on his radio station ever since her perjury in court and subsequent sacking by The Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Anyone know the song thats played some nights on Newstalk around 10, I think usually for Coleman at large, its a female singer, think its a 90s song and she kinda sounds foriegn, it goes do du, do du, do du do du, do du du du du du da X2, and then she starts to sing, sorry for being so vague.......

• Advertisement

Anyone know the song thats played some nights on Newstalk around 10, I think usually for Coleman at large, its a female singer, think its a 90s song and she kinda sounds foriegn, it goes do du, do du, do du do du, do du du du du du da X2, and then she starts to sing, sorry for being so vague.......

I'd say it's a cover of "Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode. I don't know who the artist is though.

The original is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84L1hVVEls

Sounds a bit like Garbage - Not my idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'd say it's a cover of "Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode. I don't know who the artist is though.

Sounds llike Nouvelle Vague, here's a live version ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Suzanne Vega is the singer not sure of the song title....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

kenco wrote: »

then it's Tom's Diner ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Skid wrote: »
    kenco wrote: »

then it's Tom's Diner ...

Bingo Skid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Thanks for the replies guys, it's so hard to find a song when all you know is du du ect., it's definately Suzanne Vega, niceone.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Damian Kiberd should be sacked for his interview with the head of the English Defence League today. He let pure propaganda go unchallenged.
    http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/25613/popup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Damian Kiberd should be sacked for his interview with the head of the English Defence League today. He let pure propaganda go unchallenged.

I thought he gave him a very easy ride of it as well. He just seemed to go along with everything that guy said. Maybe Damo was a bit scared of him? ;)

Haven't listened to it yet, but I think he should be sacked for the awful interview he did with Kevin Myers last week. Not only did he not try and challenge Myers' waffling, he made it worse by feeding him some more "outrageous" facts about the horrible public sector etc. etc. ad nauseating. I kept it on to hear would he bring in a contrary point of view, but eventually got so sick of it I turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Neither Kiberd or Hook provide any balance. I heard the EDL "interview" too, and couldn't believe it went unchallenged. And some still claim the station hasn't gone very Right Wing!?!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement