Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Wish they would get new craic and change the tune from dole sponges on Lunchtime - I acknowledge it's an issue, but it's getting a bit tediously repetitive now like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hes like a little puppy. Yates was taking about a subject the other day and Chris kept interupting him trying to get a little slagging in. Very cringy.
    The "banter" between the two is getting worse. Such classic lines as: "
    Chris' only friend is his sister" and jokes about Ivan's wife. Just the worst thing to listen to in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

When is Tom dunne off again so i dont have to listen to "good morning how are you today"to everybody introduced:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Chris a***licking every guest ..."it's so wonderful to talk to you again" .....throws up

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Good stuff on Dunphy right now. Martin McGuinness Vs. Gay Mitchell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone listening to Dunphy?
    Mitchell v. McGuinness

Mitchell completely losing it.

Gay Mitchells constant accusations of impartiality from Dunphy is getting annoying. Otherwise it's been great.

fight fight fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

How can Dunphy be allowed host a debate like this, when he has already been on the airwaves proclaiming his support for McGuinness ?

Gay Mitchell just threatened Dunphy with the Broadcasting Commission. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Don't normally listen on Sunday morning but this is great stuff.
    Mitchell seesm to have lost it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Its good radio- I am impressed with Mitchells superior stance. He is tearing apart McGuinness and Dunphy at the one time IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

While Dunphy is obviously not impartial Mitchell is coming across incredibly annoying to me and going well over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I can only imagine what Eamo had to say during the break. :D

I can only imagine what Eamo had to say during the break. :D

Giving Martin an aul massage id say!

Mitchell's campaign will self-destruct after this I'd say
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mitchell's campaign will self-destruct after this I'd say
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup
    No chance- hes quite obviously raising his profile as the man who is'nt Martin McGuinness. Simple idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Emo showing a bias towards MCG. GM surprisingly doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mitchell let his mask slip today...very unpresidential! Those anger management classes didn't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Mitchell let his mask slip today...very unpresidential! Those anger management classes didn't work.
    Family trait?

At one point, Dunphy said "you're making a fool of yourself" in reference to Mitchell.

Typical FG though, when they're under pressure, blame the messenger.

At one point, Dunphy said "you're making a fool of yourself" in reference to Mitchell.

Neutral host???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lol.. are you serious.. I'm just listening to it now.. havent come to that bit yet.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neutral host???

Dunphy has never pretended to be neutral, and maybe Mitchell was being an idiot.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunphy has never pretended to be neutral
    That was my point. Mitchell had just made Dunphy look silly about the constitutional role of the President and on the next subject Dunphy tells him he is foolish. The host should be able to control his own feelings better than that.

I find it baffling that Newstalk would allow this interview to go ahead given that Dunphy had already declared an interest.. It was very entertaining, but I think Dunphy may get in trouble for it..

I find it baffling that Newstalk would allow this interview to go ahead given that Dunphy had already declared an interest.. It was very entertaining, but I think Dunphy may get in trouble for it..

Why are you surprised. Newstalk is an independently owned station. Denis O Brien owns Newstalk. Denis o Brien is supporting Mary Davis.

Have you heard the spew that came out against Martin Mc Guinness from Joe Duffy on our National broadcaster last week. He was almost physically sick reading out the poll results!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah lads that was great craic.

"your pal martin ! "

:):):)

i KNEW it wouldnt be long before gay lost the plot and his victim syndrome on this show just acted as a precursor to yet another mitchell meltdown.

dunphy didnt get the chance to be impartial before captain death laid into him.

its just too funny for words.

its got to the stage i have to ask what colour the sky is in gays world as it sure as hell isnt ours. the stuff about europe alone was nuts. everyone and his brother knows the interest rates contributed to the lending frenzy, yet there he is saying it was great.

total loon.

cant wait to see similar happen on the last word. i can only hope we get something as good as when he went up against ganley and started ranting about the CIA.

:)

EDIT.

must say that "your only in power because your alive" line was one of the maddest things ive ever heard on radio.

what the hell was he on about ?

I didn't think the "debate" was particularly interesting after all. Mitchell had a clear strategy to attack Dunphy. He does this when he's asked questions he doesn't like.

It seemed like Mitchell has given up on the idea of winning and FG are just making sure that McGuinness doesn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why are you surprised. Newstalk is an independently owned station. Denis O Brien owns Newstalk. Denis o Brien is supporting Mary Davis.

Have you heard the spew that came out against Martin Mc Guinness from Joe Duffy on our National broadcaster last week. He was almost physically sick reading out the poll results!

What were the results, I missed it during the week.

What were the results, I missed it during the week.
    He ran one of hes 10 min text polls as to who would become president. Said he was going to an ad break and he would read the results after it. The ads came on, but hes mic stayed live during some of it. He could be heard saying in a totally disgusted voice after being handed the results with Mc guinness having topped it "how can i read this out?".

He actually sounded like he was going to be physically sick. Then he tried suggest that there may have been something wrong with the text line. Never mentioned the results for the rest of the show.

He ran one of hes 10 min text polls as to who would become president. Said he was going to an ad break and he would read the results after it. The ads came on, but hes mic stayed live during some of it. He could be heard saying in a totally disgusted voice after being handed the results with Mc guinness having topped it "how can i read this out?".

He actually sounded like he was going to be physically sick. Then he tried suggest that there may have been something wrong with the text line. Never mentioned the results for the rest of the show.

Jesus, that's bizarre but not suprising. RTE clearly have an anti M McG agenda which is a disgrace as they are the national broadcaster and should be 100% impartial.

Hi Michael, I actually uploaded that at the time.. Because on the Liveline thread I think we were all in tears laughing at Joe having to announce him as the winner of the poll (as Joe had tried to do a complete hatchet job on McGuinness on the previous day's Liveline)..

.. You will hear Joe saying "I had it worked out here while I was trying to talk to someone on the line", which was him trying to excuse what he said when the mic was on during the break..

Is the Wide Angle no longer on Newstalk? Haven't heard it for a while and it is not on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Its good radio- I am impressed with Mitchells superior stance.
    Are you serious? Mitchell's blood pressure must have been sky high as he ranted his way through the 1st part of the discussion.
    "why are you looking at me Eamon" said Gay when he was asked to calm down and stop making noise by Dunphy.Mitchell was loosing the plot at that stage and Dunphy had to take a break as he kept talking and interrupting MMG.

Neutral host???
    PAUL Keohe?
    I didn't think the "debate" was particularly interesting after all.
    It seemed like Mitchell has given up on the idea of winning and FG are just making sure that McGuinness doesn't win.

i KNEW it wouldnt be long before gay lost the plot and his victim syndrome on this show just acted as a precursor to yet another mitchell meltdown.

dunphy didnt get the chance to be impartial before captain death laid into him.

total loon.

must say that "your only in power because your alive" line was one of the maddest things ive ever heard on radio.

what the hell was he on about ?
    Have to aggree with the above post...

Mitchell came accross as being unstable and a very poor Debater imo

Just listened to this this morning. GM lost the plot completely and made a show of himself. FG dirty tactics campaign really is disturbingly obvious. His rant about MMcG wages was laughable. This seriously damages their campaign.

Are you serious? Mitchell's blood pressure must have been sky high as he ranted his way through the 1st part of the discussion.
    "why are you looking at me Eamon" said Gay when he was asked to calm down and stop making noise by Dunphy.Mitchell was loosing the plot at that stage and Dunphy had to take a break as he kept talking and interrupting MMG.
    Originally Posted by jonniebgood1;
    Neutral host???
    PAUL Keohe?

No- the host being Eamonn Dunphy who has already said quite strongly who he will vote for. I thought Dunphy took the break to lift the flak from his man in the debate but then opinions differ. The opinion polls will be interesting as there is a wide opinion on the emergence of a more controversial Mitchell. I don't see how it can damage him given that his starting point is so low. Theres no such thing as bad publicity they say. My money is on him improving his percentage but not really bothered for him either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Dunphy?
    Mitchell v. McGuinness

Mitchell completely losing it.
    Mitchell has too much of the cornerboy to get elected as president.

Having said that, Dunphy's bias against FG is simply intolerable considering how much he buddied up to FF when Ireland really needed media dissent. Dunphy played a major role in knocking Michael Noonan's leadership of FG off the rails with his exceptionally partisan campaigning on the Bridget McCole case (not that McCole didn't merit support, the point being that Dunphy didn't really choose to put the incumbent government in the crosshairs!).

What did for Dunphy AFAIC was that even after things had got onto a more even keel, Mitchell put the boot in, but rather than keep things calm, Dunphy couldn't help himself labelling Mitchell's contribution as a 'diatribe'. Bias beyond belief. Mitchell was dead right to go on the offensive against Dunphy. Not that it'll improve his chances of winning the presidency much, I guess. But at least he put Dunphy in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jaysus lads if you want comedy gold stream gay mitchell on the george hook show today !

its was blatently and attempt to give him a soft run after he came off as a loon on dunphys show and theres no bigger blueshirt than george but then he started to lay into hooky !

the bloke was one step away from saying "FFS im on YOUR side ! shut up and let me big you up "

:):):)

in one of the more madder turn of events gay stated he wanted to make suicide the central plank of his campaign....

... and then said if one more person asked him to smile he'd jump off o connel street bridge !

i swear to god you cant make this up !

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

People are making a lot of Gay Mitchell's statement ..

"If someone tells me to smile one more time, I'm gonna jump off O'Connell Bridge"

Bit of a stupid remark I though.. It would have been far cleverer if he had said

"One may smile and smile and be a villan"..

Everybody would have known who he was talking about.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

mike65 wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to the Premier League coverage? Ken Early is now parodying his own vocal stylings. Very exaggerated vowel sounds at times.

The pimping of ladbrooks various odds for different markets during the commentary is also rather grim.

I completely agree.

Nothing against him, he is a decent journalist and broadcaster but how he was selected as a lead commentator for live premier league games is beyond me.

He's fine until there's a goalscoring opportunity or controversial incident
    when suddenly he starts roaring and all you can hear is mumbled shouts as he fails to enunciate clearly what he is seeing. I really enjoy the live match broadcasts whether on newtalk or today fm but I actually find it hard to bear listening to the newstalk show when Early is on the mic.

Stick to the off the ball stuff Ken please!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I actually find it hard to listen to ken earley he has never even played soccer at local club level.He talks about tactics formations etc when really he has only learned about soccer from wathing it on tv and reading papers.imo if you havent played the game at least at some level you dont have much of a clue.Dan mc donnell is in the same bracket put the two of them out on a pitch in a team they would be like headless chickens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

risteard7 wrote: »
    I actually find it hard to listen to ken earley he has never even played soccer at local club level.He talks about tactics formations etc when really he has only learned about soccer from wathing it on tv and reading papers.imo if you havent played the game at least at some level you dont have much of a clue.Dan mc donnell is in the same bracket put the two of them out on a pitch in a team they would be like headless chickens....

I only listen incase ken does his weird voice like the last night when he read the piece from kenny dalglishs book.
    Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dan mc donnell is in the same bracket put the two of them out on a pitch in a team they would be like headless chickens....
    I'm no fan of Early, but McDonnell's ok. He's been watching football, in the flesh for years, which does give a different insight than tv watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I think the Off the Ball lads follow this thread...
    McDevitt just made an almost too coincidental comment relating to what i said earlier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Would that be "Marseille trialist" Ken Early?

I think the Ken & Kenny commentaries are actually very funny, possibly for all the wrong reasons, but they're entertaining nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

how come on newstalk the shows all end 5/6 mins before the hour, and they do ads and promos for other shows in that time, it's ridiculous.

hook always goes to ads about 6.50 and comes back a few mins later to say thanks and then goes to more ads.

tom dunne generally finishes his show about 11.53 /54

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

patrickc wrote: »
    how come on newstalk the shows all end 5/6 mins before the hour, and they do ads and promos for other shows in that time, it's ridiculous.

hook always goes to ads about 6.50 and comes back a few mins later to say thanks and then goes to more ads.

tom dunne generally finishes his show about 11.53 /54

Dare I suggest that even the Untouchable One, namely the great god Moncreiff, may only clock in for 20mins of each 30...sadly an absenteeism rate of 33.33%?

Ads, I suppose, are the price of the Privat Secta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement