Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

risteard7 wrote: »
    I actually find it hard to listen to ken earley he has never even played soccer at local club level.He talks about tactics formations etc when really he has only learned about soccer from wathing it on tv and reading papers.imo if you havent played the game at least at some level you dont have much of a clue.Dan mc donnell is in the same bracket put the two of them out on a pitch in a team they would be like headless chickens....

I'd say that would go for a high percentage of football correspondents in the media. You can still be knowledgeable about the game with or without having ability on the pitch.

Also fwiw, Andres Villas-Boas never played football at any sort of competitive level and he seems to know a thing or two about the game!

On topic, Off the Ball is a very enjoyable programme, us Irish love a moan so no matter how well it's done you won't keep everyone happy, personally as I mentioned already I find Ken Early is not at all suited to a lead commentary role on premier league games basically because of being unable to get across what's happening clearly because he gets so caught up in the moment and falls over himself trying to enunciate the action and it sounds like a primary school kid who's won a prize to be a commentator for the day who can't believe he's actually there, but that's just my opinion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I actually find it hard to listen to ken earley he has never even played soccer at local club level.He talks about tactics formations etc when really he has only learned about soccer from wathing it on tv and reading papers.imo if you havent played the game at least at some level you dont have much of a clue.Dan mc donnell is in the same bracket put the two of them out on a pitch in a team they would be like headless chickens....

love off the ball and its prsenters but the more i listen to it the more Early exposes himself as being never wrong, plus his knowledge of sports apart from football is poor.

if the presenters are reading this, i'm shocked last night ye werent able to link the texter 'never-nude' with one of the greatest ever tv shows Arrested development

my favourite part of off the ball, football with Johnny Giles, just to count the number of times Johnny says 'eoin'

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

bamboozle wrote: »
    love off the ball and its prsenters but the more i listen to it the more Early exposes himself as being never wrong, plus his knowledge of sports apart from football is poor.

if the presenters are reading this, i'm shocked last night ye werent able to link the texter 'never-nude' with one of the greatest ever tv shows Arrested development

my favourite part of off the ball, football with Johnny Giles, just to count the number of times Johnny says 'eoin'
    Yea id listen to giles all day.Andre villas boas has been involved in the proffesional set up assistant manager etc for years there is no comparison really.I could do what ken does so could any of you who follow football.Thats why i dont think hes worth listening to and dont respect his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

You may be missing the point. As another poster said above, Ken Early is a correspondent, not a pundit. He is on the air to broadcast newsworthy stories and interview the pros and other journalists on the issues of the day.

A lot of people tune to OTB not just for the headlines but for the off beat stories as well - you dont need an ex player to do that.

Now, Stan Collymore, he is the mirror image of what you are complaining about. An ex pro presenting when what he really wants is to express his opinions.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You may be missing the point. As another poster said above, Ken Early is a correspondent, not a pundit. He is on the air to broadcast newsworthy stories and interview the pros and other journalists on the issues of the day.

A lot of people tune to OTB not just for the headlines but for the off beat stories as well - you dont need an ex player to do that.

Now, Stan Collymore, he is the mirror image of what you are complaining about. An ex pro presenting when what he really wants is to express his opinions.
    Yes but i get the impression ken likes to think hes a pundit and comes accross as a bit of a no it all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I really enjoy listening to OTB was listening to the Ken and Kenny show at the spurs match against arsenal i'm a spurs fan and i laughed so hard when Ken was saying that Van de Vaart when chugging back to defend.If the lads read this forum will you please put the podcasts up on itunes every evening please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was on the way to a gig last nite, a bit stressed, but then I turned on Off The Ball in the car... :D:D

Those interviews Ken did with the New Zealand and Wales radio stations were hilarious... And as for the stand in presenter suggesting the Murph be awarded "The Most Endearing Speech Impediment" at the PPI Awards... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ken Burley's second outing on Welsh radio was even funnier than first one. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Rubik. wrote: »
    Ken Burley's second outing on Welsh radio was even funnier than first one. Genius.

arrrghghh missed it... :(

• Advertisement

arrrghghh missed it... :(

You can listen to it on playback later on - last 5 mins or so of the 1st hour.

The first interview is now up on their facebook page... http://www.facebook.com/offtheball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yeah, it was class :)

The Real Radio lads took in the right spirit, and let young Burley ramble on without taking it to heart.

He did the same to a New Zealand Station a few years ago and they lost the plot completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

Its amazing to hear Fionn Davenport covering for Hook. So so much better than the usual presenter.

I prefer shane coleman to Ivan yeates doing the breakfast show too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I prefer shane coleman to Ivan yeates doing the breakfast show too

Coleman is too tainted by his Dermot Ahern Fianna Fail association. I puke whenever he is having an "independent" discussion with fellow FFer Noel Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

GSF wrote: »
    Its amazing to hear Fionn Davenport covering for Hook. So so much better than the usual presenter.

I actually hold the complete opposite view to yourself, cant stand that FD fella, he has got a patronising tone to him:(.Much better craic with Georgey boy.I usually listen to George most of the time, but when the other fella is on, I just cant listen to him and have to change over:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

jimmyw wrote: »
    I actually hold the complete opposite view to yourself, cant stand that FD fella, he has got a patronising tone to him:(.Much better craic with Georgey boy.I usually listen to George most of the time, but when the other fella is on, I just cant listen to him and have to change over:(.
    I knew people would be commenting on this- I agree with GSF though, Davenport is far better IMO. George is third choice in the evening for me after cooper and RTE. We are spoilt in the evening though- lots of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I've been on different hours recently and am fiishing work at around 4pm.....I know Moncreif has his fans here and I do like him, but does he do an author interview every day at 4 after the news?

And whats with yer woman and her enterainment guide?

From what i gather it goes
    4.00 News and sport
    4.10 texts then book interview
    4.20 Ad
    4.24 Gig guide
    4.25 another ad.....
    End of show

I'm finding it annoying....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Listened to some of Coleman at large tonight.

Interesting show in an Irish kind of way. I liked his bit about the politicians being afraid of RTE because they they are the new Catholic church.
    Aside from what was being discussed he seemed to be constantly choking and coughing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Another 'AD' for Smile Ireland but dressed up as a concerned 'caller'

Big fan of Newstalk but I'm not falling for this.

'Julie, another member of the negative equity generation'

Zzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

have Damien and Jonathan eloped?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone hear Tom Dunne's interview with Noel Gallagher this morning? I was a bit disappointed with it, TD seemed a bit awkward and some of the questions weren't great. Its a pity because Gallagher can be great craic in a interview when he gets going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Anyone hear Tom Dunne's interview with Noel Gallagher this morning? I was a bit disappointed with it, TD seemed a bit awkward and some of the questions weren't great. Its a pity because Gallagher can be great craic in a interview when he gets going.

Agreed. Tom was very poor interviewing Noel. Perhaps he was nervous or intimidated, I dunno but it was a big let down. Noel is very funny in interviews and witty, but the questions were boring.

Anyone know where Jim Glennon is gone? He used to always be on with George. Wonder have they fallen out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

SB-08 wrote: »
    Anyone know where Jim Glennon is gone? He used to always be on with George. Wonder have they fallen out?

No doubt off living on TDs pension. Times are tough, so having a former rugby playing FF TD spouting his opinions every week with Hook is all a bit too much for some.

SB-08 wrote: »

He was on with Pat Kenny previewing the rugby before each of the Irish matches. I guess RTE pays more.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I really liked the Friday evening Hook show with Glennon and McIntyre joining Hooky. I wish they'd bring it back. They still have McIntyre on sometimes but I thought there was a good vibe to the show with the Hook, Glennon and McIntyre troika.

Tom Dunne seems out of his depth a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dunphy not afraid to discuss the Smyth/Obrien issue. Fair play Eamo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If the conversation ceases halfway through, says Dunphy, you'll know i've got the bullet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

joe duffy on moncrieff now.

serious afternoon confusion.
    just wish sean would ask him about the spondulicks.
    joe's already trumpeted himself as a left leaning guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

joe duffy on moncrieff now.

serious afternoon confusion.
    just wish sean would ask him about the spondulicks.
    joe's already trumpeted himself as a left leaning guy.

Did he mention it at ALL???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

barryd09 wrote: »
    Did he mention it at ALL???

nope. just a chat about getting into trinity really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

He's not a big fan of Dave McSavage and The Savage Eye. Said it made him look like a pervert. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Mark Coleman backing the sacking of Sam Smith by his paymaster Denis O' Brien, claiming poor listernership. Coleman has just lost all credibility in my book as he is now backing Savage as his replacement.
    From what I heard Sam stuck the knife into a journalist a few years ago (Connelly ???) so maybe what goes around comes around but having the jack of all traders, master of none replae him in Savage is beyond me.

On a side note, I wonder what Matt on the Last Word has to say on the subject, losing someone who like him is critical of DOB and at the same time having to work with his replacement, AS for the time being. If the journos in Today FM have any backbone they would strike

Hook had Pat Rabbitte on yesterday and someone tweeted him asking why he hadn't brought up the Sam Smyth affair...

ghook

@briansammon #samsmyth #newstalk What has Sam Smyth got to do with an interview on Oil and Gas exploration; or indeed with Pat Rabbitte??

ghook

@curtainqueen #samsmyth #newstalk #todayfm Why is a 2-day old story newsworthy?

So George, a story that comes to light on Sunday is no longer newsworthy on Monday? Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Uncomfortable times at Communicorp Towers for anyone who's not a chirpy brain-dead DJ.

• Advertisement

I don't know, the chirpiest brain dead dj at Newstalk has far worse figures than Sam Smyth does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't know, the chirpiest brain dead dj at Newstalk has far worse figures than Sam Smyth does.

Plus he's recently cost the station a packet by not being able to control a certain opinionated guest by the name of Nell.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Well one of Dunphy or Smyth had to go in the long term Today-FM = Entertainment, Newstalk = News strategy. Savage isn't a journalist so will transition the Today FM show to light entertainment. Matt Cooper isn't saying anything because long term there is no place for him in Today FM and needs the move to Newstalk once Hook retires.

That said O'Brien needs to be careful who he backs and who he sacks. With RTE signalling a clearout of the overpaid egos some prime slots might open up. The sacked Sam Smyth might find himself replacing for Marian Finucane. BUT if RTE are looking for a replacement for Pat Kenny then Matt Cooper could be tapped up. Even Anton Savage or Fionn Davenport could get Tubridy's 2FM slot. I can see a lot of movement between Today-FM, Newstalk and RTE in the next year or so as things finally settle out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I was always perplexed as to why Newstalk and Today FM go head to head on Sunday mornings with similar shows.
    Move one to Sat or else Sun afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Mumha wrote: »
    Coleman is too tainted by his Dermot Ahern Fianna Fail association. I puke whenever he is having an "independent" discussion with fellow FFer Noel Whelan.

Tell me more Mumha. I knew he was a closet FF'er, I remember him singing the praises of Bertie Aherne and also he doesn't think Sean Gallaghers FF past is an issue so therefore won't question him on it.
    I don't,however know about his associations with Dermot Aherne. It doesn't surprise me one bit though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poly wrote: »
    I was always perplexed as to why Newstalk and Today FM go head to head on Sunday mornings with similar shows.
    Move one to Sat or else Sun afternoon.

True, Saturday afternoon is out for Today FM and Sunday afternoon is out for Newstalk so I'd move the Today FM show it being the weaker of the two to Saturday morning, at least that would provide an alternative to Moneybags Marian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I'm one of Newstalk's biggest fans, can't really fault it for anything.

But one small thing is starting to grate a little....

Namely, the way Chris O'Donoghue pronounces words containing the letter T.

E.g. he pronounces 'Saturday night' with some weird contrived English-sounding pronounciation, rather than with the soft Irish 'T' (the one that drives Gaybo mad).

I'm not sure where he got it from, but can he please send it back???

Otherwise I enjoy the show in the mornings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I heard him after Ireland v Wales saying people were "gutted, devastated, just gutted", so many weird T sounds in such a short space made my skin crawl tbh :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I have been saying this for a good while now but how long does the Tom Dunne show have left? The latest JNLR have him at 55,000 which is shocking if you think about it. Breakfast show is doing well now, Moncrieff doing well and Off The Ball staying steady but Dunne is doing worse than the 2 presenters and shows he took over from 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Badabing wrote: »
    I have been saying this for a good while now but how long does the Tom Dunne show have left? The latest JNLR have him at 55,000 which is shocking if you think about it. Breakfast show is doing well now, Moncrieff doing well and Off The Ball staying steady but Dunne is doing worse than the 2 presenters and shows he took over from 3 years ago.

No idea but sooner the better, nothing worse than listening to the breakfast show and it giving Tom 10 minutes or so of the last hour to talk about what hes he will be doing over his show.

Badabing wrote: »

He is a difficult one. There is no way he is going to dislodge Ray D'Arcy from his slot in Today FM so where are they going to put him when the reshuffle eventually happens. He is being squeezed by being the weakest in a 4 man dog national fight (Dunne, Kenny, D'Arcy, Tubridy). And that doesn't factor in that many local radio stations have popular local discussion shows in that slot also. It's probably the worst time slot to have on radio if you are in any way weak..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

touts wrote: »
    He is a difficult one. There is no way he is going to dislodge Ray D'Arcy from his slot in Today FM so where are they going to put him when the reshuffle eventually happens. .

You have been talking about this 'reshuffle' for ages as if it is a fact.

Do you have any evidence it will happen, or is it just your opininon?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Namely, the way Chris O'Donoghue pronounces words containing the letter T.

E.g. he pronounces 'Saturday night' with some weird contrived English-sounding pronounciation, rather than with the soft Irish 'T' (the one that drives Gaybo mad).

I'm not sure where he got it from, but can he please send it back??

Seriously?

Really?

I've seen so many people mention that on this thread. So many I can't count. And people complaining about Shane Coleman's pronunciation, and other people also....

I just don't get it. Did all you guys who make these complaints go to elocution lessons for years? Do ye pronounce your T's to perfection?

Fair enough, I presume you guys have a genuine problem with it, I just don't understand it at all. Surely it's not that big a deal if his t's are pronounced a bit badly. I just find it surprising because I never notice this bad elocution which grates with so many people.

I'm confused that a bunch of Irish people get annoyed by it so much. I'd understand if ye were all instructors at finishing school or something but I'm guessing ye're not.

It surprises me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Poor George is getting it in the neck again, on the Aviva jobs.Bit below the belt alright from that insensitive prick texter.I fear for his BP:p.

Today part 2, around 52.44 min.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/wednesday/1/popup

Skid wrote: »
    touts wrote: »
    He is a difficult one. There is no way he is going to dislodge Ray D'Arcy from his slot in Today FM so where are they going to put him when the reshuffle eventually happens. .

You have been talking about this 'reshuffle' for ages as if it is a fact.

Do you have any evidence it will happen, or is it just your opininon?

Its an opinion but one based on the merger into one building and management structure and that they have talked to the bci about being jointly assessed for the purpose of public service requirements. I have no inside knowledge but it seems logical to allow each station focus on a particular strength to take on RTE rather than each try to compete with the other. O'Brien didnt take them over for the fun of it. He took them over to make the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement