Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Seriously?

Really?

I've seen so many people mention that on this thread. So many I can't count. And people complaining about Shane Coleman's pronunciation, and other people also....

I just don't get it. Did all you guys who make these complaints go to elocution lessons for years? Do ye pronounce your T's to perfection?

Fair enough, I presume you guys have a genuine problem with it, I just don't understand it at all. Surely it's not that big a deal if his t's are pronounced a bit badly. I just find it surprising because I never notice this bad elocution which grates with so many people.

I'm confused that a bunch of Irish people get annoyed by it so much. I'd understand if ye were all instructors at finishing school or something but I'm guessing ye're not.

It surprises me.
    Do you not expect a higher standard from those who make their living from broadcasting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Do you not expect a higher standard from those who make their living from broadcasting?

I do not understand this question... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

funny you should say that, moncreiff mentioned today about the bbc having a department of pronunciation which never figured out how to pronounce 'haughey'.

they're still getting their message across. you have to remember, people like shane coleman are journalists first, not broadcasters. newstalk must've picked up a few cheap reporters when the sunday tribune closed.

if you only wanted people with perfect elocution to ever broadcast, then we'd be stuck with a handful of newsreaders from ar t e to run everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

touts wrote: »
    Its an opinion but one based on the merger into one building and management structure and that they have talked to the bci about being jointly assessed for the purpose of public service requirements. I have no inside knowledge but it seems logical to allow each station focus on a particular strength to take on RTE rather than each try to compete with the other. O'Brien didnt take them over for the fun of it. He took them over to make the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Fair enough, thanks.

Can't argue with your logic, it wouldn't be a surprise to see it happen sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

parasite wrote: »
    I heard him after Ireland v Wales saying people were "gutted, devastated, just gutted", so many weird T sounds in such a short space made my skin crawl tbh :/

around the time of the latest scandel with the Vatican i had to stop listening to newstalks morning show such was Chris's obsession with saying 'deh vadddikan'

that and his love for 'mr yates' aside he's a good presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Nope. Not at all. Like I said in my post, I don't even hear this mispronunciation.

I think the people complaining about it are awful fussy feckers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Badabing wrote: »
    I have been saying this for a good while now but how long does the Tom Dunne show have left? The latest JNLR have him at 55,000 which is shocking if you think about it. Breakfast show is doing well now, Moncrieff doing well and Off The Ball staying steady but Dunne is doing worse than the 2 presenters and shows he took over from 3 years ago.

Yes it just hasn't worked out for the chap, he thought he could make a seamless transition from music dj to talk radio host and its backed fired big time for all parties involved. I'd imagine the station must be looking at possible replacements at the moment before the advertisers pull the plug.
    Dunne would be best served getting himself back on a nightly music show, something which he does do well in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Seriously?

Really?

I've seen so many people mention that on this thread. So many I can't count. And people complaining about Shane Coleman's pronunciation, and other people also....

I just don't get it. Did all you guys who make these complaints go to elocution lessons for years? Do ye pronounce your T's to perfection?

Fair enough, I presume you guys have a genuine problem with it, I just don't understand it at all. Surely it's not that big a deal if his t's are pronounced a bit badly. I just find it surprising because I never notice this bad elocution which grates with so many people.

I'm confused that a bunch of Irish people get annoyed by it so much. I'd understand if ye were all instructors at finishing school or something but I'm guessing ye're not.

It surprises me.

First off, I'll admit that it's a very minor gripe. As I said, I'm generally Newstalk's biggest fan, so the fact that something as small as this annoys me says a lot about how good a station it is. However, as a listener, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Secondly, I wouldn't mind imperfect pronunciation, except for the fact that Chris' pronunciation of 'Saturday' sounds contrived, manufactured, as though he's imitating the English pronunciation. If it was an Irish colloquial thing, I wouldn't mind as much.

Finally, although I'm not an instructor in an elocution class, I speak with a generic South Dublin accent. I would consider my pronunciation to be fairly OK (maybe not the most objective viewpoint I'll admit :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

Seriously?

Really?

It surprises me.

Look in the grand scheme of things how he pronounces the sixth day of the week is utterly irrelevant, but this is a radio thread, which allows people vent on irrelevant radio related issues.

I think Chris has a hell of a lot of good points and fair play to him for getting the gig on Newstalk, but I can honestly say I have never heard a radio presenter make as bizarre an attempt at an everyday word, as he with Saturday.

In the very confined context of listening to the breakfast show it is very annoying. Even though I've heard him Sattttdaying many times I still find myself stare at the radio going "wtf was that" every time he does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ivan should be good craic in the morning after City's result today. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ivan is off in the morning, he is doing the Google debate on the Kiberd/Healy midday lunch show!

Paddy Crerand will never again come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Ivan is off in the morning, he is doing the Google debate on the Kiberd/Healy midday lunch show!

This is going to be very interesting indeed. I'm noticing a lot more on NT, their blatant HATE of Sean Gallagher. 4 people sat in that studio yesterday morning on the Eamon Dunphy show and slated not only Gallagher for his Fianna Fail links, but also the 40% of the voting public who said they'd vote him in as president. It was embarrassing after a while because there was no discussion, no arguements, just each person including Dunphy attacking the man.

Again this morning i heard yeates on throwing sly digs about his FF past in. It's all becoming a bit boring. It'll be interesting to see if they can remain non biased during the debate later today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Fran1985 wrote: »
    This is going to be very interesting indeed. I'm noticing a lot more on NT, their blatant HATE of Sean Gallagher. 4 people sat in that studio yesterday morning on the Eamon Dunphy show and slated not only Gallagher for his Fianna Fail links, but also the 40% of the voting public who said they'd vote him in as president. It was embarrassing after a while because there was no discussion, no arguements, just each person including Dunphy attacking the man.

Again this morning i heard yeates on throwing sly digs about his FF past in. It's all becoming a bit boring. It'll be interesting to see if they can remain non biased during the debate later today

You're surprised that Newstalk are turning the guns on Gallagher? Sure they savaged their former presenter Norris at the start of the campaign when he was the front runner and then blasted McGuinness when he had moved up to a strong second. Attacking Gallagher is just continuing that strategy. The better question is which candidate they have virtually sainted and why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newstalk

->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicorp

-->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_O'Brien

--->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lowry#Investigation_by_Moriarty_Tribunal

---->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_27th_Dáil#24th_Government_of_Ireland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Higgins
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Yates
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lowry

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_cabinet_responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I was never good at puzzles! What exactly are you trying to say with that bunch of links? Aside from the obvious that Dennis O Brian owns Newstalk.
    I was under the impression that Quango Queen was his preferred candidate, not Micky D ? And I don't get the whole cabinet confidentiality thing, where does that fit into the election ?
    Confused :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I was never good at puzzles! What exactly are you trying to say with that bunch of links? Aside from the obvious that Dennis O Brian owns Newstalk.
    I was under the impression that Quango Queen was his preferred candidate, not Micky D ? And I don't get the whole cabinet confidentiality thing, where does that fit into the election ?
    Confused :-)

Who mentioned anything about Cabinet Confidentiality :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Who mentioned anything about Cabinet Confidentiality :-)
    My bad! Meant to say collective responsibility.
    And the connection is ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Where the feck is Damien Kiberd? He was suppose to do the debate and was featured on the promo pics, he has been missing for over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Fran1985 wrote: »
    4 people sat in that studio yesterday morning on the Eamon Dunphy show and slated not only Gallagher for his Fianna Fail links,

I'm kind of getting sick of Dunphy and his Sunday gathering of witches around the cauldron... But yesterday really took the biscuit... I will not be voting for Seán Gallagher.. he was going to get my number two until he revealed how he tried to shaft money from the Enterprise Board and his FF links... But Dunphy yesterday was ridiculous, referring to Gallagher as "The Bouncer"...

I was sure he was gonna get in trouble with the BCI over his supposed chairmanship of the McGuinness / Mitchell debate a few weeks ago, but this was even worse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Interested to see will Off The Ball address the issue of Joubert's refereeing (or lack of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

omerin wrote: »
    Where the feck is Damien Kiberd? He was suppose to do the debate and was featured on the promo pics, he has been missing for over a week.

It's a strange one alright. He went walkabout for over 4 weeks in the summer. OK, some of that might have been explained by summer holidays, but unless you're Eamon Dunphy, you just don't get that much time off at Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Rubik. wrote: »
    It's a strange one alright. He went walkabout for over 4 weeks in the summer. OK, some of that might have been explained by summer holidays, but unless you're Eamon Dunphy, you just don't get that much time off at Newstalk.

Illness was cited as a reason on another website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

heybaby wrote: »
    Illness was cited as a reason on another website.

Someone posted on this thread a while back that he had left Newstalk the first time around due to illness, hopefully it won't come to that this time.

Did anyone hear Chris on the breakfast show this morning?

He totally froze when the person he was interviewing from where the Guard went missing, told him a body had been found.

When Chris was told about the body being found, he got flustered and started saying he didnt know this when he went to start the interview. Then said goodbye to the person on the phone and went to the next segment.

It seems unless everything is scripted for him there is no thinking on hes feet! He is meant to be a journalist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Chris is very poor to be honest, and quite annoying. If it wasn't for Yates the show would be sunk without a trace. It was the same with Claire Byrne, they seem to have a problem putting a good backup on this show who will just do the bread and butter job in hand.

They'd be better giving Yates a solo run, as all the 'banter' is tedious and self indulgent at this stage. We want to hear the news, sport, business, traffic and interviews on a drive time news programme, not slagging and 'in' jokes or celeb gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It doesn't take much to throw Chris Donoghue and when it happens he sounds like a 15 year old who's just been caught trying to "sneak a peek".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

. We want to hear the news, sport, business, traffic and interviews on a drive time news programme, not slagging and 'in' jokes or celeb gossip.

Tune to Morning Ireland/ Drivetime for straight laced news, sport, business, traffic and interviews.

Do we really need lazy immitations of the RTE output from Chris Donoghue, Oisin Langan and the likes?

NT is trying to differentiate with the Hook and Yeats approach -Im a big fan of Yeats, Hook is good in small doses at times, but you cannot accuse Newstalk as a station of not attempting to provide an alternative to the RTE model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

someone asked what to do with a gay ram.

Ivan's reply was " off to the meat factory with it.":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Tune to Morning Ireland/ Drivetime for straight laced news, sport, business, traffic and interviews.

Do we really need lazy immitations of the RTE output from Chris Donoghue, Oisin Langan and the likes?

NT is trying to differentiate with the Hook and Yeats approach -Im a big fan of Yeats, Hook is good in small doses at times, but you cannot accuse Newstalk as a station of not attempting to provide an alternative to the RTE model.

hook did my head in yesterday.

he was handed sean gallagher on a plate and because it came from the shinners he couldnt deal with it

chris was even a bit mental about it this morning on the breakfast show.

who bloody cares if McGuinness got the chronology wrong, seanie got snared rapid taking the cheque !

thank god for RTE for once, dobbo slaughterd him on the six one and pat kennys show today was practially a wake for gallagher.

im actually one of those thats not really all the pushed about gallagher, but it was the story of the DAY yesterday, and pretty much most of today , and newstalk fluffed it.

hook did my head in yesterday.

he was handed sean gallagher on a plate and because it came from the shinners he couldnt deal with it

chris was even a bit mental about it this morning on the breakfast show.

who bloody cares if McGuinness got the chronology wrong, seanie got snared rapid taking the cheque !

thank god for RTE for once, dobbo slaughterd him on the six one and pat kennys show today was practially a wake for gallagher.

im actually one of those thats not really all the pushed about gallagher, but it was the story of the DAY yesterday, and pretty much most of today , and newstalk fluffed it.

Shane coleman is there inhouse Fianna Fail cheerleader!

ootbitb wrote: »
    someone asked what to do with a gay ram.

Ivan isnt homophobic, just a unique sense of homour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah.

one thing that pisses me off is how often people in media who have strong political ties get portrayed as bein independant.

i dont know if shane IS FF, but his brother in law is dermot aherne.

who very well couldve BEEN at that gig sean was tapping business people for with the taoiseach.

so thats got to colour his coments

when you throw in miriam with a FF brother running for election the YEAR she chaired the debate with enda and bert, and alison o connor on vinnyb having a brother campaigning for gallager (and hey at least she admited it)

fionan sheehan married to a FF senator.

noel whelan LIVING with sean gallagher for two years or so back in the day and running for FF at one stage too perennally being described as a "barrister".

its a fecking disgrace.

the yanks would take one look at this stuff and swear were russia or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

ootbitb wrote: »
    homophobic Ivan someone asked what to do with a gay ram.

I don't know if you are seriously calling Ivan homophobic - but what else would you do with it?

A ram that won't do the business is feck all use - cut your losses and get another one.

Full marks to Ivan for getting to the point straight away.

Couldn't agree more!He is unbelievable,he really has not wanted to talk about Gallagher and FF.He kept saying there was nothing in it since the start of the campaign. He's a FF'er alright. Political editor indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Icecap

Does anybody know what's become of Karen Coleman ? She seems to have disappeared without trace . Her programme was excellent although her personal bias did sometimes show in her interviews. Is there another good radio show anywhere covering international affairs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Classic Chris Donoghue this morning. The show has "teamed up" with some gold bullion business for a promotion of some sort and according to Chris's pronunciation all week the daily prize is some "PERT" gold bars or coins or whatever -PERT, as in a nice pert ass.

This morning it changed to "PERTH" gold bars, as in Perth, Western Australia.

Anyone know which is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Perth

Pretty lame innuendo really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Icecap wrote: »
    Does anybody know what's become of Karen Coleman ? She seems to have disappeared without trace . Her programme was excellent although her personal bias did sometimes show in her interviews. Is there another good radio show anywhere covering international affairs ?

I was wondering about that.. Used to catch the Wide Angle fairly regularly, seems to have quietly dropped off the schedules a few weeks back with no announcements or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm a fan of Shane Coleman and would like to see him replace that kid Chris on the breakfast show.
    I haven't noticed the FF bias tbh. The station usually pushes a Blueshirt agenda anyway doesn't it? especially from 4.30pm to 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I'm a fan of Shane Coleman and would like to see him replace that kid Chris on the breakfast show.
    I haven't noticed the FF bias tbh. The station usually pushes a Blueshirt agenda anyway doesn't it? especially from 4.30pm to 7.

But at least he openly admits to being a blueshirt, unlike RTE where is they think
    the great unwashed are too thick to spot their subliminal agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Poly wrote: »
    But at least he openly admits to being a blueshirt, unlike RTE where is they think
    the great unwashed are too thick to spot their subliminal agenda
    Who are the great unwashed??

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Who are the great unwashed??

License fee payers

License fee payers
    Is that your personal opinion of license fee payers or is it a term RTE use to describe them?

Is that your personal opinion of license fee payers or is it a term RTE use to describe them?

It's how I imagine RTE "stars" earning €500,000+ view license payers.

It's how I imagine RTE "stars" earning €500,000+ view license payers.
    I doubt it.

I doubt it.

You have never heard of the figure of speech "the great unwashed" before have you?:)

• Advertisement

You have never heard of the figure of speech "the great unwashed" before have you?:)
    Not in relation to tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wonder what's the increase in Moncrief's listenership when 'Funny' Friday is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

telekon wrote: »
    Wonder what's the increase in Moncrief's listenership when 'Funny' Friday is on?
    everybody from the liveline thread to start with!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh no I love the banter between Chris and Ivan I'd hate to seem him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Did anyone hear Hook interviewing Mario Rosenstock yesterday? Hook trying to do the impressions while being coached by Mario was class.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement