Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Perth

Pretty lame innuendo really.

Eh, no innuendo intended. What Im saying is that on the PERT/ PERTH thing he was actually getting his words mixed up and was failing to commuincate what he was trying to say - pretty significant problem for a presenter.

Its not an accent thing, or the bizarre SAT TADAY thing - the guy cant get his words out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Shane Coleman is a miserable loser, He couldn't even agree with Hook that Michael D will be a good president for all the country.

He should learn to hide his FF colours if he is going to have any pretence of being an objective correspondent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

heard on the ad break... Sarah Carey will be presenting an election special tomorrow 9am to 11am.. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Skid wrote: »
    Shane Coleman is a miserable loser, He couldn't even agree with Hook that Michael D will be a good president for all the country.

He should learn to hide his FF colours if he is going to have any pretence of being an objective correspondent.

Hes a joke at this stage, totally biased.

In fairness to Ivan, he always gives Fine Gael a boloking if needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Dunphy has quit Newstalk citing ‘management interference’.

http://www.thejournal.ie/the-9-at-9-saturday-49-266688-Oct2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Conovski

I thought I heard this on the Radio this morning. In fairness to him, he was getting agitated about the Sam Smyth scenario a couple of weeks ago on his show. Have to admire the man for having the gumption to take a stand, unlike messrs Hook, Kiberd, Yeates, Chris O' Donoghue (would someone smack him please) and Cooper on the sister station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah I knew he'd flounce off! He is lucky that he is busy rich enough elsewhere not to worry about his Newstalk gig.

Hmmm, Anton Savage can't be in two places at once can he?

A bit more on it here...

Eamon Dunphy quits Newstalk over interference

28 minutes ago

Eamon Dunphy has announced he is quitting his popular Sunday morning show on Newstalk, citing “management interference” as one of the reasons.
    Dunphy, who made no bones about his displeasure at the sacking of Sam Smyth from sister station Today FM a few weeks ago, has claimed that Newstalk “is a very inhospitable place for journalists to work in”.
    Dunphy doesn’t explicitly mention Denis O’Brien, whose Communicorp Group own both Newstalk and Today FM, but he does offer some insight into the regime there.
    “We didn’t have the support we needed and life was made very difficult. There were edicts coming down from management encouraging us to put a positive spin on the news agenda. Given the crisis the country is in that was a joke.”
    The cantankerous ex-footballer also made reference to Smyth’s departure in his statement in today Irish Daily Star saying: “If someone of Sam’s experience is let go, it is deeply worrying.”
    Dunphy’s show, one of the best on the station and one that was growing listeners based on the latest figures, will be missed and the question is who will take over the helm now, especially with the allegations made by the former host.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say he just got sick of having to get up early on Sunday morning's hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Rubik. wrote: »
    A bit more on it here...

28 minutes ago

Eamon Dunphy has announced he is quitting his popular Sunday morning show on Newstalk, citing “management interference” as one of the reasons.
    Dunphy, who made no bones about his displeasure at the sacking of Sam Smyth from sister station Today FM a few weeks ago, has claimed that Newstalk “is a very inhospitable place for journalists to work in”.
    Dunphy doesn’t explicitly mention Denis O’Brien, whose Communicorp Group own both Newstalk and Today FM, but he does offer some insight into the regime there.
    “We didn’t have the support we needed and life was made very difficult. There were edicts coming down from management encouraging us to put a positive spin on the news agenda. Given the crisis the country is in that was a joke.”
    The cantankerous ex-footballer also made reference to Smyth’s departure in his statement in today Irish Daily Star saying: “If someone of Sam’s experience is let go, it is deeply worrying.”
    Dunphy’s show, one of the best on the station and one that was growing listeners based on the latest figures, will be missed and the question is who will take over the helm now, especially with the allegations made by the former host.

Also mentioned was the downsizing, paying for taxi's only 1 way for guests and the fact that they had to buy their own newspapers!
    He never seems to stay in one place for a prolonged consistant period of time. Don't think I can blame him and for the most part it was an enjoyable program, though the last few weeks were so so. Can't see Hook follow as he seems to be out of pocket with recent financial events and will put money above principal, will Copper follow suit?
    Don't know where next for ED in terms of radio

• Advertisement

I'd say he just got sick of having to get up early on Sunday morning's hungover.

Emo was never drunk or hungover, just tired and emotional, baby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Shame that Eamon is leaving. I like newstalk ( prob not for much longer if its true that Eamon has claimed.) A few prsenters on newstalk slag off RTE or as they call it ''state run media '' If what Eamon says is true well newstalk are just as bad as rte:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

A bit more on it here...

28 minutes ago

Where is that article from, Rubik?

It seems very subjective to say 'Dunphy’s show, one of the best on the station', surely that is a matter of opinion.

I am not sorry to see Dunphy leaving. He has become increasingly opinionated and surrounds himself only with contributors who agree with his views. He wasn't always like this.

I will give you a clue, one that ED contributes to :)

Answer
    The Star

Skid wrote: »
    Where is that article from, Rubik?

I forgot to put in the link. It was from joe.ie, but the original story was in The Irish Daily Star.

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/eamon-dunphy-quits-newstalk-over-interference-0017226-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

omerin wrote: »
    the fact that they had to buy their own newspapers

Hmmm.... when I headed the newsroom of a local station a few years back I asked the papers for review copies and they still arrive free gratis every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

O'Brien is quickly making sure that NewsTalk becomes 'FG FM.' A maverick like Dunphy was always going to get turfed out, at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Maybe the headline should read:

Dunphy quits as stand-in for The Ger Colleran Show

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Maybe the headline should read:

Dunphy quits as stand-in for The Ger Colleran Show

;)

so will Colleran get it full time now?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what make of really. He deserves credit for being the only Newstalk and Today fm presenter to tackle the Sam Smyth story, but he is also a drama queen of the highest order. His commitment to the job was at best questionable. When there was a bit fuss over the amount of time he was taking off last summer, he described that arrangement with Newstalk as "loose". Which probably came as a surprise to the Newstalk management. As far the downsizing and cutbacks, well he was working for a loss making organisation in the midst of a recession, what did he expect? The timing, just a day after the lastest JNLR figures, is a bit curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I have to say i have always enjoyed Dunphys radio shows, from the Last word up to the NT show . However, much as i enjoy listening to him i have to conclude thatas far as Dunphy is concerned, , the biggest story every week should be....... Eamonn Dunphy . I dont think he was ever going to stick with NT . Look at his track record over the years, each time he makes a move to another station , he lasts a shorter time . On that record who ever he signs for next will probably last about 12 - 15 months .
    Despite that i will really miss his show. Jesus H Christ does this mean i have to go back to listening to Bloody Marian???????????????

I have to say i have always enjoyed Dunphys radio shows, from the Last word up to the NT show . However, much as i enjoy listening to him i have to conclude thatas far as Dunphy is concerned, , the biggest story every week should be....... Eamonn Dunphy . I dont think he was ever going to stick with NT . Look at his track record over the years, each time he makes a move to another station , he lasts a shorter time . On that record who ever he signs for next will probably last about 12 - 15 months .
    Despite that i will really miss his show. Jesus H Christ does this mean i have to go back to listening to Bloody Marian???????????????

I don't think he will be any great loss. I lost a lot of respect for Dunphy after the Moriarty Report was published and the general feeling among him and his partisan guests on the following Sunday's show was that Lowry was hard done by. The fact that he's finally come out against his employer after the Sam Smyth sacking is too little too late. Considering the fact that he was absent for so long during the summer means we probably haven't had enough of him to miss him too much, and his partisanship for Martin McGuinness during the run-up to the presidential election was nauseating.
    Also, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a nice little number with RTE fairly soon so he probably won't be out of pocket for standing up for his "principles".

From todays Sunday Independent(not on the website yet)...

The controversial commentator is due to address his listeners today and say goodbye on his last show on the station. Speaking to the Sunday Independent yesterday, Mr Dunphy said "I can't talk about it now. I'll be talking about it on the show tomorrow."

But a well place source said "Knowing Eamon, anything could happen. He's not one to let an occasion such as this go unnoted. But he will be very cautious. Eamon is many things but he is no fool".

Should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Should be a good today. :D

The shackles seem to be on Emo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

omerin wrote: »
    The shackles seem to be on Emo

Wait Ger's off!

Have to say, I cant stand Colleran. He's a populist hypocrite.

Watching the live feed, and watch Ger as Constantine Whatshisname defend Emo, and Ger didn't flinch. Ger is a shoe in to replace Emo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I won't be tuning in when Colleran gets his bombastic, ignorant arse on Dunphy' seat.

Eamo getting a few digs in :)

• Advertisement

O'Brien ain't gonna like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Well done to him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

O'Brien ain't gonna like that :D

I think this is a flood that began when Eamon keane walked/got fired.
    Wasn't that about putting a positive spin on the news ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Amazing rant by Dunphy. I'm sure loads of us would love to do that to our boss! :D

Eamo is licking RTE's arse a lot this morning. Has he a job lined up?

Feck sake, what a waste of time. Other than a few passing references he more or less dodged it completely, while falling over himself to praise the employer who pays him over 300,000 euro a year. The man's a fraud.

Eamo is licking RTE's arse a lot this morning. Has he a job lined up?

Normally he spends his time slagging off the Marian Finucane Show during his own show. Now that he's leaving Newstalk he was being very careful about what he said about RTE. The man has some gall. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunphys' spent his whole life as a chancer/whore, he'll turn up on RTE radio in the next 6 months and he'll be gone in 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Feck sake, what a waste of time. Other than a few passing references he more or less dodged it completely, while falling over himself to praise the employer who pays him over 300,000 euro a year. The man's a fraud.

Actually, during the appeylara referendum debate he went on a big rant about how Denis O'Brien owns the Government, etc.

Aha...now it all makes sense...

"He also revealed that he’d been asked to take a 50 per cent pay cut on his €100,000 a year salary, despite increasing listener figures."

http://www.thejournal.ie/denis-obrien-hates-journalism-eamon-dunphys-last-show-on-newstalk-267660-Oct2011/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

100 grand for one days work a week, plus the fact that Ger Colleran presented half the shows for him. GTFO Dunphy!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Dunphy is some clown, he makes out he is a rebel and likes to think he is speaking on behalf of the ordinary working man, yet he was a massive cheerleader for bertie.
    Dunphy has a history of these dramatic walkouts. He is the ultimate flip flopper.

Dunphy said the things I was expecting him to say on the show yesterday in an interview he gave to The Independent last night...

Newstalk is a slum and O'Brien hates journalists, says Dunphy

BROADCASTER Eamon Dunphy last night described Newstalk as a "slum" but insisted he did not quit the radio station because of a 50pc pay cut.
    He told the Irish Independent he stood over his comments -- made on his final show earlier yesterday -- that the radio station's owner, Denis O'Brien, "hates journalism".
    The outspoken media personality took the opportunity to condemn the businessman during his last moments on air following his decision to resign.
    He insisted he wanted to go because of the way staff were treated and not because he was asked to take a pay cut of €50,000 a year from the €100,000 he was being paid to front 40 shows.
    "The commercial sector was supposed to be a viable alternative to RTE, but Newstalk's become a slum," the 66-year-old said.
    "The people who are living in the slum will tell you that and there's been a huge departure rate by presenters."
    He claimed staff were treated "disgracefully".
    The author, soccer pundit and former footballer said the regulator "should be paying attention to what's going on as certain standards should be set".
    Dunphy said young journalists' pay rates were "shocking", while staff were not represented by unions and had to buy their newspapers to provide to guests on the shows.
    He also complained that taxi vouchers were not given to cover guests' journeys home and accused management of trying to prevent him having certain guests on his show, including Independent TD Shane Ross.
    "Someone has to raise the red flag about this guy," he said, referring to Mr O'Brien, whose Communicorp Group owns the station.
    "He hates journalists. I've read his speeches and interviews and he seems to think they want the country to be destroyed, and he's suing journalists.
    "He doesn't understand what we're for, which is asking uncomfortable questions. I've had dealings with his operation on two occasions -- on the 'Breakfast Show' and this show -- and both increased their ratings, but he wants a positive spin on stories when almost 500,000 people are unemployed.
    Agenda
    "That means altering the news agenda to suit a businessman's view of it.
    "They don't really understand what the public interest is. That's okay if you're in the golf club but if you're bringing it onto the shop floor in journalism, then it's dangerous."
    He said his show was not failing and had increased its ratings.
    "The pay cut had nothing to do with it," he said, when asked about his decision to leave. "Very good young journalists were becoming extremely demoralised and disillusioned and were watching senior journalists being treated badly. Sam Smyth was an example of that."
    Today FM, which is also owned by Communicorp, has rejected claims that a recent decision to drop Mr Smyth's show is linked to a court action taken by Mr O'Brien.
    It claims the decision was due to falling listenership.
    Willie O'Reilly, the station's chief executive, last week revealed he was leaving Today FM to join RTE.
    Dunphy said he was not looking for a new show. He said he was working on his memoirs, which he joked has a working title 'Wrong about Everything', to be published next year.
    Communicorp also owns 98 FM, and Spin 103.8 and Mr O'Brien is a shareholder in Independent News and Media.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/newstalk-is-a-slum-and-obrien-hates-journalists-says-dunphy-2921377.html

Frankly, I don't believe him when he says the proposed 50% pay cut had nothing to do with him leaving. His concern for the welfare of the young journalists and the freedom of the press is a self-serving attempt to cast himself in the role of the "rebel". Whereas in reality it was all about cold hard cash.

When Newstalk's present CEO took over he came out with this guff - "our aim for the station is to deliver private sector, pro-business viewpoint that dynamic people...etc" Anyone who listens to Newstalk regularly would know that most of those working there are not very well paid. And Dunphy had worked with the station before. He knew what he was signing up for, i.e., 100,000 euros for a 2 hour a week show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

looks like Mass and the In-laws have beaten dunphy in the end..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Dunphy knew the deal, and if it was such a slum why did he return having been so outraged at this editorial interference back in 2006?

To call the whole operation a slum is an insult to some of the fine output newstalk produces. Typically this is output that is not contentious about current affairs and the state of the irish economy. In particular Off the ball and talking history.

The current affairs and economic output of newstalk is ever so slightly geared towards the moron these days. That is true, and editorial interference is probably the culprit.

Last week their 'news' carried some guff about 100s of 'high quality' jobs in some shared services centre down the IFSC. These are little more than jacked up call centres, and this news piece was really forced in getting across the 'high quality' aspect of these jobs. I said to myself hello hello, a moronic press release passing for a radio news bulletin, things are getting desperate at newstalk these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to admit to being shocked things came to ahead so quickly but im not surprised he's left.

someone posted earlier that this has been coming since eamon keane left and i dont belive for a second that the wage cut has anything to do with it.

he'd STILL be getting 50k for one days work a week.

the vast majority of his gosh comes from RTE so if anything what he was doing at newstalk was essentially a hobby. in which light how he's and his team were being treated was far more likely to be the cause than a pay cut.

seriously lads in what world is a 100% pay cut better than 50% if you need the gosh?

the bloke is right about whats going on at newstalk and dennis obrien in general. the difference between the station now and when it first started up is palpable. loads here have being giving out about how tabloid its become. slap in the disgraceful partisenship of presenters actually TELLING you how to vote and the station itself acting like something out of north korea and you dont need to be einstein to see where its going.

makes me glad i dont work there as this isnt a news station anymore, its DOB propaganda.

im actually hard pushed to think of a show i like now. it used to be my station of choice but now im switching to RTE more and more which TBH i cant belive.

i can still hack the breakfast show, but hooky's been a no go since he went off on one with lisbon, marc coleman is a cringe inducing characiuture, the business show's been a disaster since bobby "i cant talk so how am i broadcasting" kerr took over and now dunpys gone.

i can tell you one thing straight off the bat.

if ger colleran is taking over this gig, im gone

cause ive never heard such a hateful prejudiced supercillious man in my entire life !

sad to see eamo go, but im glad he stuck the knife in before he went. i get the feeling his producer got more flak than we know and that poor lad can get blacklisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

cause ive never heard such a hateful prejudiced supercillious man in my entire life ! sad to see eamo go, but im glad he stuck the knife in before he went. i get the feeling his producer got more flak than we know and that poor lad can get blacklisted.

I think Dunphy was just as subjective at the end... Particularly the last few weeks... The Mitchell/McGuinness interview .. And last week where he did a hatchet job on Sean Gallagher.. calling him "The Bouncer" was just childish.. I also wonder will there be any attention given to either of these shows by the BCI...

Like I've said before, he just brought in a load of his pals and had a petty bitching session about people he didnt like.. Tom McGuirk, Sean Gallagher, Peter Sutherland etc etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunphys' spent his whole life as a chancer/whore, he'll turn up on RTE radio in the next 6 months and he'll be gone in 18 months.

It works for him do. Even managed 23 caps when anyone that saw him play said he was the worst player to play for Ireland.

have to admit to being shocked things came to ahead so quickly but im not surprised he's left.

someone posted earlier that this has been coming since eamon keane left and i dont belive for a second that the wage cut has anything to do with it.

the vast majority of his gosh comes from RTE so if anything what he was doing at newstalk was essentially a hobby. in which light how he's and his team were being treated was far more likely to be the cause than a pay cut.

seriously lads in what world is a 100% pay cut better than 50% if you need the gosh?

I don't think it's just about the money, it's more an ego thing. He is a wealthy man. Someone with a ego the size of Dunphys just wouldn't stand for a 50% pay cut, it just wouldn't happen. I agree what happened to Sam Smyth is a disgrace, as is the the attempted banning of Shane Ross as a guest on the station and I don't doubt that Newstalk isn't a particulary nice place to work, but Dunphy knew all about Denis O'Brien before he agree to return to the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Icecap

I don't think it's just about the money, it's more an ego thing. He is a wealthy man. Someone with a ego the size of Dunphys just wouldn't stand for a 50% pay cut, it just wouldn't happen. I agree what happened to Sam Smyth is a disgrace, as is the the attempted banning of Shane Ross as a guest on the station and I don't doubt that Newstalk isn't a particulary nice place to work, but Dunphy knew all about Denis O'Brien before he agree to return to the station.

Does anybody know where Damien Kiberd is ??
    He's vanished without trace , ever since he didn't moderated the presidential debate . Any insider knowledge out there .

His show is v go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement