Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

paul mc williams on bout a new gangland book hes out, hes always animated in his banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Animated = full of crap slang and nicknames he makes up. He complains about these 'vicious criminals' but yet he's the one that gives them infamy and all the publicity surrounding them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

As Norman Mailer once said "a cop's just a criminal mind in a uniform".

A crime "reporter" just lives off the other two: I said that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

padz wrote: »
    paul mc williams on bout a new gangland book hes out, hes always animated in his banter
    Paul "The recycler" Williams. Same old stories over and over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

padz wrote: »

Indirectly he's probably making more out of organised crime than the gangsters themselves. Crime sells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I personally know of someone, several years ago, who was refused a gun licence for a Glock hand gun. The Garda told him the Superintendent didn't like Glocks so didn't issue licences for them. Now, Glocks are a perfectly legal firearm manufacture and this guy was a member of a gun club and already had other firearms.

It's all down to the likes of Williams glamorising the whole gangland situation for his own financial gain. He constantly uses flash words like "Glock" and "9mm". He crawls out of the woodwork every so often when he's trying to flog another book and I'm sure we'll see him serialising the latest one in that rag News Of The World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I personally know of someone, several years ago, who was refused a gun licence for a Glock hand gun. The Garda told him the Superintendent didn't like Glocks so didn't issue licences for them. Now, Glocks are a perfectly legal firearm manufacture and this guy was a member of a gun club and already had other firearms.

It's all down to the likes of Williams glamorising the whole gangland situation for his own financial gain. He constantly uses flash words like "Glock" and "9mm". He crawls out of the woodwork every so often when he's trying to flog another book and I'm sure we'll see him serialising the latest one in that rag News Of The World.

I doubt that somehow! :pac:

Although i agree with you about Williams, i reckon most of the stuff he writes is hyped up to the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Maybe the headline should read:

Dunphy quits as stand-in for The Ger Colleran Show
    Nice one.

My read on the NewsTalk situation is that it's no coincidence that the station is 'rebalancing' towards FG-friendly presenters. George Hook's Twitter attack on Dunphy while he was in Haiti with DOB's charity really looked like sucking up to the boss. (GH is truly a busted flush at this stage - he has to be on his last legs as a weekday presenter).

But it also has to be said that NewsTalk hasn't been making the greatest inroads into listenership. Dunphy has been very erratic over the years. His blatant pitch for McGuinness during the presidential election was simply one of many occasions when he has tipped his cap towards populist republicanism and FF Official Ireland (he lionised McCreevy and ladded it up to Ahern). He has always displayed a parallel contempt towards FG (the way he tried to pull Noonan down over the McCole case without even pointing a finger at the FF govt was beyond partisan).

I also noticed in recent weeks that Dunphy was going very hard on a particularly negative Eurosceptic line. And he seemed to have Gurdgiev on just that bit too much. So IMO Dunphy has been setting himself for a fall for a very long time.

The whole thing is unsavoury, but TBH I don't see either Dunphy or Sam Smyth as particularly impartial or especially worthwhile journalists. Neither comes close to, for instance, Matt Cooper.

I can also see the clear temptation at this juncture for DOB to beef up NewsTalk into a very govt friendly oracle - but at a price (bearing in mind O'Reilly's 'It's payback time" pitch). A move for Eircom has been mooted. He has a big stake in the Indo. So maybe he's looking to build up leverage for making sure govt media/communications policies and decisions go his way.

As a long time listener (though much, much less so in recent months, esp since the performance of NT presenters on the Moriarty report), I'm disappointed with the way the station has gone. I suspect the station will lose credibility, although it might also increase its audience. Not me though. My dial is firmly and regrettably back with RTE Radio (and Matt Cooper in the evenings). The only shows in town when it comes to decent news and current affairs coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Who's Paul Williams writing for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Where's George Hook these days?

I miss him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

He is in Haiti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I find that the newstalks news is not very professional. There is some basic mistakes made every now and then. Today they mentioned that Quinn was claiming bankrupcy after owing 2.8 Million. Its happened a few times now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Talk of George getting Dunphys slot, I like Ivan and would much prefer him, if its Hook, I'll be tuning to Radio 1 on Sundays as I do every week night now. I just can't listen to Hook anymore, he's too cranky and moany.http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/george-hook-to-replace-eamon-dunphy-after-broadcastersrsquo-public-spat-2933766.html

pc7 wrote: »
    Talk of George getting Dunphys slot, I like Ivan and would much prefer him, if its Hook, I'll be tuning to Radio 1 on Sundays as I do every week night now. I just can't listen to Hook anymore, he's too cranky and moany.http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/george-hook-to-replace-eamon-dunphy-after-broadcastersrsquo-public-spat-2933766.html

That would mean he'd have a show airing 7 days a week, too much of a good/bad thing indeed. I would have thought he would be cutting down on his schedule at this stage, he is over 70 now. His energy and work ethic have to be admired really.

pc7 wrote: »
    Afraid I went right off Hook after those lamentable Sky ads. His tweeting from Haiti was The Last Straw.

With a choice between Finucane, Hook and Savage for the Sunday morning shows, I think I've revert to Lyric and read the damned papers myself!

PS: there's also the possibility that Ort-Ee-Ee might get rid of Finucane and pay Dunphy 20% of her fee to present the Sunday show. Dunphy was being awfully upstanding on the RTE panel last Friday, so I wouldn't rule it out.

And with the planks on offer from the DOB stable, Dunphy might be just about a tolerable proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

NewsTalk have a film critic covering for Hook this week. He is bloody useless at covering hard news. NewsTalk is getting more like the station off Frasier every day.

GSF wrote: »
    NewsTalk have a film critic covering for Hook this week. He is bloody useless at covering hard news. NewsTalk is getting more like the station off Frasier every day.

He seems like an affable chap but not at all suited to the role of a talk radio host. Michael Graham in particular tore shreds off him yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

NewsTalk is getting more like the station off Frasier every day.
    The Breakfast show is increasingly intolerable these days. Yates is always mouthing off about something and Chris seems to be just there as a token young person that Yates can slag off and engage in some terrible banter. Its like listening to two aul grannies at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

NewsTalk is getting more like the station off Frasier every day.
    The Breakfast show is increasingly intolerable these days. Yates is always mouthing off about something and Chris seems to be just there as a token young person that Yates can slag off and engage in some terrible banter. Its like listening to two aul grannies at this stage.

What are you talking about? Its been like that since day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I find Chris hard to listen to....I'd prefer someone with a bit more life experience myself.

And as for the Tom Dunne fill-o-rama bit after 9.30.

They sooner they cop themselves on and get rid of him the better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris this morning referred to something called "unsubstantiated bonds"

SUBORDINATED man

giftgrub wrote: »
    I find Chris hard to listen to....I'd prefer someone with a bit more life experience myself.

I dont normally mind these in moderation, but he seems to be developing way too many verbal tics - "lets get this show on the road", etc.

Also the morning sports guy "before I let yee go" - is he holding us hostage? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I dont normally mind these in moderation, but he seems to be developing way too many verbal tics - "lets get this show on the road", etc.

Also the morning sports guy "before I let yee go" - is he holding us hostage? :confused:

You must mean "Ush".

Some one mentioned earlier in this thread that they find it really annoying when Chris refers to him as this, and ever since then, it has done my head in!! I had never noticed it before but now it makes me cringe something awful...:mad:

yes I meant to mention this before, it drives me crazy.Actually it should be the other way round, the other two are letting him go:rolleyes:

Pedantic Jim;)

telekon wrote: »
    You must mean "Ush".

Some one mentioned earlier in this thread that they find it really annoying when Chris refers to him as this, and ever since then, it has done my head in!! I had never noticed it before but now it makes me cringe something awful...:mad:
    I think the Breakfast Show is sinking like a stone.

My default setting is for Boring Ireland. But I have to duck out of there every time Amma MocNomora appears. So I still get a bit of NewsTalk. I generally like Chris, but that 'Ois' thing really annoys me. It seems every time I end up at the Breakfast Show, Yates is handbagging Chris, and I usually end up going back to RTE for some manner of professionally presented news content and analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've always wondered... You know the way that most radio presenters have a "cough" button... Does Marc Coleman have a "talk" button?

McDave wrote: »
    I think the Breakfast Show is sinking like a stone.

My default setting is for Boring Ireland. But I have to duck out of there every time Amma MocNomora appears. So I still get a bit of NewsTalk. I generally like Chris, but that 'Ois' thing really annoys me. It seems every time I end up at the Breakfast Show, Yates is handbagging Chris, and I usually end up going back to RTE for some manner of professionally presented news content and analysis.

I dont see how you could like both Chris and professionally presented news content and analysis.

2 main problems -his vocabulary is woefully limited - the weather is going to "get good"; whats your take on the latest employmentisation statistics; lets burn the unsubstantiated bondholders.

In relation to analysis - obviously he cant provide any himself (unlike Ivan Yates), but he cant get anything except formulaic answers from guests brought on the provide analysis either. A guest could make an outragous statement on whatever issue and it will sail straight over Chris' head.

He mostly deals with most of the dumbed down elements of the content as well.

Emma Mac - I actually voted for her in the sexiest voices on radio thread! Whatever about the D4, her content is pretty professional through wouldnt you agree?

Any of you who don't like the "banter" between Chris and Ivan don't have to listen to it.I quiet like it, its refreshing from the staid and boring MI.Go listen to that then if ye don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

jimmyw wrote: »
    Any of you who don't like the "banter" between Chris and Ivan don't have to listen to it.I quiet like it, its refreshing from the staid and boring MI.Go listen to that then if ye don't like it.

I agree. They are complete opposites bit they just seem to gel and I enjoy the slagging between Chris & Ivan.

Jonathan Healy is starting to get on my nerves though. There is hardly a day goes by without him mentioning Cork & how wonderful it is down there ( He was born in Galway though:confused: )

Damien Kiberd seems to be missing the last while. Anybody know what he is up to?

Damien Kiberd seems to be missing the last while. Anybody know what he is up to?
    probably unwell again as he isnt writing for The Sunday Times either at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Also the morning sports guy "before I let yee go" - is he holding us hostage? :confused:[/Quote]
    Must agree with this. Does my bleedin head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I've always wondered... You know the way that most radio presenters have a "cough" button... Does Marc Coleman have a "talk" button?
    Haha yeah its ridiculous! Its a pretty bizarre show anyway but the cough/wheeze/grunt thing he does adds an extra surreal element. Irish radio must have some of the worst producers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

does anyone one else find those tom dunne/vodafone christmas voicemails really cringeworthy and embarrasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

neris wrote: »
    does anyone one else find those tom dunne/vodafone christmas voicemails really cringeworthy and embarrasing?

Yes I hate them too and I don't find any of them in the least bit moving.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

Earlier on in the month he made a big song and dance about not mentioning the C word too early this year, and now he starts up with this tripe.
    Its mid November for God's sake!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I agree. They are complete opposites bit they just seem to gel and I enjoy the slagging between Chris & Ivan.

?
    Yeah I get a good giggle out of the slaggings too, love when he's at him for being single. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

telekon wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Its been like that since day one.

It has, but I think Yates is getting worse. It's really annoying me now, whereas before it was just irritating. And his anti-public service biases, when he's already getting a state pension of c€74k in his early 50s, just grates with me. "The army costs €75,000 per soldier." Yeah? Well I'd rather €75 grand spent on another one of them than on you...

As for Tom Dunne's show, what's the point? I used to try to amuse myself by counting how early and/or often he'd make some reference to the band (discounting the Twitter name "TomHappens", as that'd completely skew the results), but now I just turn on Pat Kenny. Never thought I'd say that...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A lot of their presenters seem to be anti-public service,yet if RTE came in for them they would be gone in a flash.

It has, but I think Yates is getting worse. It's really annoying me now, whereas before it was just irritating. And his anti-public service biases, when he's already getting a state pension of c€74k in his early 50s, just grates with me. "The army costs €75,000 per soldier." Yeah? Well I'd rather €75 grand spent on another one of them than on you....
    That plus Yates moaning about debtors not being able to pay their debts. Yates seems to be at the Aviva for every game and every race meeting plus every piss up around town. Not much belt tightening there me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Yates re-mortgaged his mothers house, I presume a large percentage of his pension goes to his creditors. How can he take a hard postition interviewing any worker in the public service taking a large pension when he is? Reminds me of poor old Joe Duffy (and Gerry Ryan) giving the impression he is in touch with the common man when he "earns" a multiple of the average wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

omerin wrote: »
    Yates re-mortgaged his mothers house, I presume a large percentage of his pension goes to his creditors. How can he take a hard postition interviewing any worker in the public service taking a large pension when he is? Reminds me of poor old Joe Duffy (and Gerry Ryan) giving the impression he is in touch with the common man when he "earns" a multiple of the average wage.

Joe Duffy in particular. He wants the 'working man! to think he's one of them. Constantly goes on about how tough it is out there for people when he's raking in 500k and living in a 5 bed in Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I was unimpressed with OTB on Tuesday. Bringing up the Israel/Palestine stuff. I prefer my 3 politics free hours, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

DB21 wrote: »
    I was unimpressed with OTB on Tuesday. Bringing up the Israel/Palestine stuff. I prefer my 3 politics free hours, thanks.
    Owen spoke to an ex rugby player about hes experience on the flotilla, it was a ten min conversation at most.

They didnt exactly go in depth about the Israeli/Palestinian war, more trying to tease out what would take a player over there.

OTB is top class, best show on the radio by a mile!

Owen spoke to an ex rugby player about hes experience on the flotilla, it was a ten min conversation at most.

They didnt exactly go in depth about the Israeli/Palestinian war, more trying to tease out what would take a player over there.

OTB is top class, best show on the radio by a mile!

I absolutely agree with you regarding OTB and rarely miss it ............and yet, there was definitely something off with that segment with Trevor Horgan, which did seem to last for more than 10 minutes from where i was sitting. Ive heard pieces on for example apartheid and rugby tours, which could also be considered political discussions, or charitable causes helped by sportspeople, but this interview with Horagn was purely political with no other context.

I have to disagree with you also about the detail he went into - there was a description of "hatred" in the eyes of the Israili commandos which he could see behind their balaclavas

That plus Yates moaning about debtors not being able to pay their debts. Yates seems to be at the Aviva for every game and every race meeting plus every piss up around town. Not much belt tightening there me thinks.

You'd be surprised - he is underwater to the tune of €3m at least with the banks.

You can be sure he has to account for every cent he brings in.

The moaning is just what they pay him for, and Hook -to be outspoken old gits and generate the texts and tweets and keep NT relevant.

Would people really prefer Chris Donoghue and Shane Coleman doing soft focus interviews for 3 hours daily?

omerin wrote: »

I dont see Yates trying to give that impression, more often than not he is looking to attack people's lazy established views on issues.

Also, the common man wouldnt even be able to comprehend his personal debt position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You'd be surprised - he is underwater to the tune of €3m at least with the banks.

You can be sure he has to account for every cent he brings in.

The moaning is just what they pay him for, and Hook -to be outspoken old gits and generate the texts and tweets and keep NT relevant.

Would people really prefer Chris Donoghue and Shane Coleman doing soft focus interviews for 3 hours daily?

So Ivan was a sole trader then, was he?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I dont see how you could like both Chris and professionally presented news content and analysis.

2 main problems -his vocabulary is woefully limited - the weather is going to "get good"; whats your take on the latest employmentisation statistics; lets burn the unsubstantiated bondholders.

In relation to analysis - obviously he cant provide any himself (unlike Ivan Yates), but he cant get anything except formulaic answers from guests brought on the provide analysis either. A guest could make an outragous statement on whatever issue and it will sail straight over Chris' head.

He mostly deals with most of the dumbed down elements of the content as well.

Emma Mac - I actually voted for her in the sexiest voices on radio thread! Whatever about the D4, her content is pretty professional through wouldnt you agree?
    IMO Chris Donohue is a pretty good *presenter*. He has a pleasant disposition and he weathers the BS he gets from Yates very well. He's not, though, an interviewing heavyweight, and I wouldn't centre a heavyweight current affairs programme on him. But when you look at the jokers heading up NewsTalk current affairs these days (Yates, that twit at lunchtime, George Hook and Marc Coleman), Chris at least comes across as genuine.

As for Amma, I'm afraid I can't get past the phoney advertising-meejaland accent. When someone speaks with an affectation, I'm afraid I can't take them at face value. Sounds like a voice designed to slide effortlessly into the corporate world. Incidentally, strictly she's not D4 (from Carlow apparently) - although spiritually I suppose she is.

As for professionalism, that's something I equate with Richard Crowley, Rachel English and Pat Kenny (certainly in his prime).

The content? Reporting facts? Not too difficult that, is it?

delaad wrote: »
    So Ivan was a sole trader then, was he?

No - personal guarantor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement