Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 devilshalo

I reckon he's got a sleeping bag in Newstalk House. If he's not doing the Hook Show, he's doing The Sunday Show show. If he's not doing that, he's doing the Luchtime show or the morning show. Give it time and he'll be filling in for Ken on Off The Ball and Shenanigans with Síle Seoige.

:D

He can sub for Seoige Jr. any day....she's desperate.

i cant stand him TBH.

DEEPLY politically biased and prone to make sweeping comments he cant stand over.

but then considering thats the norm for so many NT presenters the fact he falls on the FF side of things means they probably see it as balance.

its getting to the stage where i cant listen to the station anymore and i DREAD to think what shyte were going to get off them when this referendum comes along.

they embarrased themselve big time with lisbon so i reckon thats the standard to expect.

Agree with you. Find myself turning the dial back to towards 88.5 more and more these days:eek:

Paul Kimmage is the one who's talking "bollocks".

Robbie Savage is the one who's talking about a modern day manager not having a mobile phone.

I think Brian Kerr is the one who's talking about an "honest answer".

Paul Gascoigne is talking about not having had a bad start to the game.

Who is the guy that says something like "if you want to box, say you want to box...."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

at least elizabeth is enjoying ivan, tom dunne and george, only after a year of listening. that ad is getting overdone already!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

at least elizabeth is enjoying ivan, tom dunne and george, only after a year of listening. that ad is getting overdone already!

Did they create the ad themselves or was it a genuine listener calling in? Sounds very phoney to me.

• Advertisement

Did they create the ad themselves or was it a genuine listener calling in? Sounds very phoney to me.

she doesn't know when to finish either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

devilshalo wrote: »
    Who is the guy that says something like "if you want to box, say you want to box...."?

Kieran McGeeney, during the 2006 International Rules.

Kieran McGeeney, during the 2006 International Rules.

she doesn't know when to finish either!

The worst ad ever has to be for the taxi company 6772222 - you know Ice Ice baby??:mad:. I turn the radio off whenever I hear it...and I've only heard it on Newstalk. So well done lads for another reason to switch away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

devilshalo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and specifically registered to comment on Shane Coleman.

He's everywhere on NT - on the morning show, I've heard him at lunchtime, standing in for Hook and on Sundayt. I don't understand how someone who was only a print journalist until recently is handed all this (mainly) solo broadcasting! There's a real dumbing down recently.

I've plenty of other NT rants but will post later:)

Here is an example of his output as a journalist:
    http://tribune.maithu.com/archive/article/2009/mar/15/20-people-who-will-save-ireland/

• Advertisement

hahaha!

20 people who'll save ireland.

where did shane learn to count?

there's 22 on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

there's 22 on that list.

And every one of them a waster.

(Apart from Trap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

And every one of them a waster.

(Apart from Trap)

and he's not Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know.

maybe its because its christmas, but i actualy enjoyed that crystal swing bit on moncreif !

i think it helps that theyve actually DONE stuff now what with going on US telly and the like and you can get a "jaysus its been some ride" conversation out of em

you know.

maybe its because its christmas, but i actualy enjoyed that crystal swing bit on moncreif !

i think it helps that theyve actually DONE stuff now what with going on US telly and the like and you can get a "jaysus its been some ride" conversation out of em

Hopefully the ride will come to an end now and they'll quietly go away, This country doesn't need any further embarrassment on the International stage.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Pretty soon the reviews of the year will be upon us. There probably won't be an award for media losers of the year. But in the absence of there being one, I'm afraid I have to nominate NewsTalk.

I had so much hope for NewsTalk. It had an edge when it was concentrating on a Dublin audience. But even when it went national I think it was making progress until about a year ago.

Now I feel it has gone into serious decline. The Breakfast Show has become a travesty. After a promising start, Ivan Yates has receded into pontificating shock-jock mode happy to dine out on his ministerial experience. He had so much potential, but I wonder did the experience of the Moriarty report take the wind out of his sails.

The lunchtime news has become unlistenable. Its callow presenter might as well read the news on Spin. George Hook has seriously passed his sell-by date. And the weekend schedule is a current affairs wasteland. Sarah Carey and the Sunday Show lack punch.

Its listenership figures seem to be holding up. But I can't shake the feeling that it won't last, and that listeners will ebb relentlessly back to Ort-Ee-Ee.

If I'm right, it's a pity. Ireland needs a serious alternative to the 'national' broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

What a lug is that Hook guy. A complete tool. No less than Edward de Bono graced that show this afternoon. Hook behaved like an idiot, a wasteful idiot. He could have a show which explored de Bono's ideas, and educated his listeners in the process.

What did Hook do? Acted the maggot with the other two ceoláin, talking shíte about Jesuits and basically being a grade A arsehole in the mode of a secondary school student in Blackrock - with de Bono all the while being available to talk to. As if the three of those were up there with de Bono in terms of their ability to offer listeners insight.

What a waste.

Your right Dionysus it was a real wasted opportunity. I felt de Bono was growing frustrated at the inane ramblings of Hook and his two stooges and had given up hope of a serious interview pretty early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Ugh, I had to turn away due to cringing when Hook asked if it was lateral thinking to move sport from one part of the show to another, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Why do newstalk keep praising themselves on add breaks?0H MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD thank you chris thank you newstalk.They gave out 2 tickets wow!Then elizabeth ivan in the morning then tom dunne oh and i love george hook....:oIf i hear either of them again im switching off....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

risteard7 wrote: »
    Why do newstalk keep praising themselves on add breaks?0H MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD thank you chris thank you newstalk.They gave out 2 tickets wow!Then elizabeth ivan in the morning then tom dunne oh and i love george hook....:oIf i hear either of them again im switching off....

Maybe they've lost their nerve.

This issue has been addressed on here before, but whats with Eoin McDevitt's inability to pronounce the word football, he keeps saying fuhball. Is it some kind of speech impediment or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

This issue has been addressed on here before, but whats with Eoin McDevitt's inability to pronounce the word football, he keeps saying fuhball. Is it some kind of speech impediment or what?

& rugby always comes out as "rubby"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Any news on Damien Kiberd? Havent heard from him since before the Pres election. No word from the show, dont even mention his name anymore

Yeah he's really missed on that show - Jonathan Healy is dire.

And Philip Molloy presenting a 2 1/2 hour show? His voice doesn't have the tone or pitch, sorry.

It seems even NT don't respect him - they call him Philip Molly on the website.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/the-right-hook/movies/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

Also,Phillip Malloy is yet another on NEWSTALK who has a problem with his "th" words.
    Plus, he pronounces ENTREPRENEUR as "on-trap-on air". Take him off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

JackPerry wrote: »
    Also,Phillip Malloy is yet another on NEWSTALK who has a problem with his "th" words.
    IMO pronunciation is a widespread problem in the broadcast media. As I see it there's no problems with accents as such and there is quite a diversity on radio. But lazy mid-Atlanticisms such as 'nooze' have become pervasive. And I actually heard someone pronounce the well-known river river that flows through London as the 'Thames' (as in rhyming with 'hames') on a NewsTalk bulletin yesterday.

It's probably too much for a private station such as NewsTalk to take a lead on standards, especially in the absence of any direction from the so-called national broadcaster (when I see Siun Ni Gearailt given such prominence, I give up all hope on proper diction and enunciation in our broadcast media in the future).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ads for Coleman at Large are now saying its "at ten" without specifying *which* "ten". Not sure people expecting Marc would appreciate Tom Dunne or vice versa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What's with this guy Coleman and the sneezing and spluttering. Sounds like some sort of nervous condition. Strange.

• Advertisement

What's with this guy Coleman and the sneezing and spluttering. Sounds like some sort of nervous condition. Strange.

Yes its seems to be more prominent tonight for some reason. It is kind of funny though when he's trying to forcefully interject in a heated argument and it starts happening. There's always a slight awkward silence in the studio, you can imagine his panelists trying to hold a straight face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah it's ridiculous Fred.. I was listening to it myself.. He's always been like that and it isnt improving... He has (Doctor) Bill Tormey in with him so often you would wonder why he didnt as him to take a look at his problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I (pfffff) totally agree. It's rather un(ffff)professional.

JackPerry wrote: »

Well Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiian Murtagh makes up for this I suppose by pronouncing ev-er-y syll-a-ble:D

McDave wrote: »
    IMO pronunciation is a widespread problem in the broadcast media. As I see it there's no problems with accents as such and there is quite a diversity on radio. But lazy mid-Atlanticisms such as 'nooze' have become pervasive. And I actually heard someone pronounce the well-known river river that flows through London as the 'Thames' (as in rhyming with 'hames') on a NewsTalk bulletin yesterday.

It's probably too much for a private station such as NewsTalk to take a lead on standards, especially in the absence of any direction from the so-called national broadcaster (when I see Siun Ni Gearailt given such prominence, I give up all hope on proper diction and enunciation in our broadcast media in the future).

Oh and let's not forget Ian "dis, dat and de udder" Guider. I actually thought his surname was Geithner.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris this morning on Breakfast questioning recession author George Mordaunt-

So, would you forgive death?

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chris this morning on Breakfast questioning recession author George Mordaunt-

So, would you forgive death?

I noticed that!
    C'mon Chris.... think through the words

I've noticed in the last few days that Phillip Molloy's mechanics are pretty bad.
    By that I mean his links, intros, etc.
    They are laboured and stilted.

But when he relaxes into the topic/interview he becomes a lot better.

I think he's done ok standing in for Hook, he is certainly improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Like him reviewing films but thats it. The other guy reviewing the films is excellant also, he could find hidden meanings in an episode of tom & jerry :)

Concerned about Damien from the Lunchtime show, where the feck is he? Does he still do his newspaper column. No mention of him at all. Not a stalker. Honest.

To the complete bewilderment of myself I've actually started to quite enjoy the Breakfast Show recently. Young Chris while still prone to error on occasion has come on alot and seems to be more comfortable in his role. Yates always brings a smile to my face especially when he starts ripping the piss out of poor Chris for being single, living alone etc.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

Thank you newstalk for telling me to google santurom. Yuck

• Advertisement

What, you mean the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex?

What, you mean the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sweet mother of god lads, I just nearly puked. That image is randomly flashing before my eyes. Bastards.

hacx wrote: »

Dont ya just hate it!

Dont ya just hate it!
    I dunno, few spoons of sugar and it's nice enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well said Ivan :)

He just closed this morning's Breakfast Show with one of his rants - This time about RTÉ chat shows promoting RTÉ programmes such as The Voice and Operation Transformation.

He described the practice as 'an invitation to switch over to Graham Norton'.

Never a truer word.

Yates seems more in touch with his audience than Tubridy and O'Connor.
    And thats saying something for a former politician !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Well said Ivan :) He just closed this morning's Breakfast Show with one of his rants - This time about RTÉ chat shows promoting RTÉ programmes such as The Voice and Operation Transformation.

Yeah I heard that alright.. I do agree with him about RTE promoting RTE, but it's unfair to compare to Graham Norton, as Norton has a much bigger audience and better choice of guests..

I first started listening to Yates and Donohue on the way back from gigs late at night, and I have to say they are far more entertaining that both of RTE's offering between the hours of 9am and 10am..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

He just closed this morning's Breakfast Show with one of his rants - This time about RTÉ chat shows promoting RTÉ programmes such as The Voice and Operation Transformation.

Never a truer word.

*cough*The Apprentice*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Never a truer word.

on the flip side newstalk incessantly beg listeners to text in at 30c a text, still Ivan is a breath of fresh air in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Was anyone listening to the Right Hook yesterday? George was in New Hampshire covering the Republican primaries and talking to Michael Graham. It was strange that George was asking all the questions but would never challenge any of Graham’s answers (which were either biased towards tea Party or Republican or his favourite candidate) I agree with some but not all of what Graham says but it was like George didn’t know anything about the topics and just moved onto the next question. Graham would go on a long rant and George would just laugh and say ok and move on. I don’t know why he went over there if he knows so little about the subject.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement