Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AGH! Doesn't anyone train anyone to broadcast?

Ken Early is still an appalling football commentator (not that I think any amount of guidance will help with his supercilious/sarcastic tone) now Philip Molloy is labouriously reading off a sheet of paper.

Too many silly "themed" audio inserts as well. They merely disrupt the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That Mcintyre fella isn't much better, he roars like a farm animal if somebody comes remotely close to scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

is it just me or is sean moncreiff just interviewing his mates from back in the ol national union of journalists days recently?

real Z listers going on about what it was like in pirate radio in the 80s and the like.

Oh missed that, I always like a pirate radio natter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

is it just me or is sean moncreiff just interviewing his mates from back in the ol national union of journalists days recently?

real Z listers going on about what it was like in pirate radio in the 80s and the like.

I thought it was interesting last week when he was chatting to Anne Cassin about her days reading the news on pirate radio and the frequent raids they had. I never realised that Dobbo Dobson started with the pirates as well.

its the fact it grossly overpays its average employee.

theyre on 56k a year, with one manager for every six people in the place

FAT doent come close to describing the state of RTE, its institutional waste of taxpayes money.

The same thing could be said about most Government departments and agencies.

I thought it was interesting last week when he was chatting to Anne Cassin about her days reading the news on pirate radio and the frequent raids they had. I never realised that Dobbo Dobson started with the pirates as well.

Have a root in youtube for Nova Radio Dublin and see some familiar faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chris is back with his kinky talk about politics & elections again. Another 11 months of kinky things happening in the u.s elections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Chris is sooooooooooo bad. Feel embarrassed for him listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

neris wrote: »
    Chris is back with his kinky talk about politics & elections again. Another 11 months of kinky things happening in the u.s elections

glad i missed it, between things being kinky and mentions of 'mr yates' he comes across as a transition year student doing his work experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 millie81

anyone notice Newstalk disappeared off air for about 30 minutes this morning!? Dead air during the key breakfast time slot-not good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

millie81 wrote: »
    anyone notice Newstalk disappeared off air for about 30 minutes this morning!? Dead air during the key breakfast time slot-not good!

Nope. Maybe it was a problem with your local transmitter.

I must say the "banter" between Yates and O'Donoghue really is getting very very tiresome. Hardly a moment is allowed to pass without some lame comment being passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mike65 wrote: »
    I must say the "banter" between Yates and O'Donoghue really is getting very very tiresome. Hardly a moment is allowed to pass without some lame comment being passed.
    ^This.

Wish they'd quit with the childish flirting and just get a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

know what you mean , yates is the school jock and o, donoghue is the ( permanently failing ) wanabe best friend of the jock , juvenille stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ^This.

Wish they'd quit with the childish flirting and just get a room.

Agree and disagree.

I think Yates' stuff is witty and quick.

Chris is very dim though - his comeback to some slagging at about 9.55 am this morning from Yates was especially pathetic ("Ewe! Ya knacker" is what he said).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

irishh_bob wrote: »
    know what you mean , yates is the school jock and o, donoghue is the ( permanently failing ) wanabe best friend of the jock , juvenille stuff

Good analogy.

I always thought Yates' "Bart" to O'Donoghue's "Milhouse"...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Ian Guider is in on the act this morning, making references to Chris' penchant for shopping in Zara and H&M.

I didn't mind the routine at first, but it's taking over the show and I've taken to switching over as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

If you took LBC as an example of a successful commercial talk station, they would have Yates presenting solo or put him together with another heavyweight presenter. This idea of one heavyweight & one lightyweight presenter on the same show is a bit strange.

• Advertisement

GSF wrote: »
    If you took LBC as an example of a successful commercial talk station, they would have Yates presenting solo or put him together with another heavyweight presenter. This idea of one heavyweight & one lightyweight presenter on the same show is a bit strange.

Yates didnt have a lot of experience when they took him on so Id say that why Chris was put in there to yap away.

He could certainly do it solo now if he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Jim Power's first words on Hook's show; "I like to think of myself as a realist", AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Yates didnt have a lot of experience when they took him on so Id say that why Chris was put in there to yap away.

He could certainly do it solo now if he wants it.

Chris had even less experience at the time I'd imagine. Yates originally started with Claire Byrne after Ger Gilroy was removed in an effort to halt a massive ratings slide.

Now that ratings are under control and have been steadily increasing I don't see the duo been split up any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Christ, are they still at that? I've pretty much given up on Yates at this stage. His slagging of CO'D is a crushing bore. He's deeply unprofessional and a huge disappointment as a broadcaster. With his experience, he could have brought so much more to the show. But it seems he just can't be bothered to put any thought into his performance.

My dial is now set to Morning Ireland and Lyric. Bye Bye NewsTalk. :-(

McDave wrote: »
    Christ, are they still at that? I've pretty much given up on Yates at this stage. His slagging of CO'D is a crushing bore. He's deeply unprofessional and a huge disappointment as a broadcaster. QUOTE]

Thats a problem easily solved - axe Chris and there'd be nobody for Ivan to slag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Christ, are they still at that? I've pretty much given up on Yates at this stage. His slagging of CO'D is a crushing bore. He's deeply unprofessional and a huge disappointment as a broadcaster.

Thats a problem easily solved - axe Chris and there'd be nobody for Ivan to slag.
    Yates tried the same stunt with Claire Byrne. She moved on pretty quickly, fair play to her.

It's possible that Yates could anchor a show himself with adequate research back-up. But somehow I doubt it. And definitely not for two or three hours.

When all is said and done, I think Yates is basically quite lazy. The slagging is a smokescreen for not being willing or able to concentrate on tackling interviewees. Indeed, when questioning a guest, Yates sounds like he's reading off an autocue. Very 'Plank'-like! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

While I quite like the Breakfast show, I have to say I don't think Yates could host a show on his own. That weekend after Dunphy left and he filled in was pretty bad, and he had a panel if I remember correctly....

I think the partnership of Chris and Ivan has potential, but this childish back-and-forthy stuff has to stop.

Guaranteed we'll hear this on Valentine's Day:
    "Ooh I wonder how much sleep Mr. Yates got last night?"
    "Well probably a lot less than you, heard you were home by 10pm alone!"

or some sh1te.

I genuinely don't think Yates arrives at the studio before 6.30am. Chris alludes to this sometimes while on air and Yates doesn't refute it, so basically young Chris is the mule who has to carry the workload and prepare the show while Yates gets away with winging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gotta love Paddy Crerand.

"I am very anti-racist..."

Shur, some of his best friends are black. :pac:

Chris had even less experience at the time I'd imagine. Yates originally started with Claire Byrne after Ger Gilroy was removed in an effort to halt a massive ratings slide.

Now that ratings are under control and have been steadily increasing I don't see the duo been split up any time soon.

which says it all about newstalk

gilroy was the only part of that show that was working with claire being god awfull in the slot, and he gets removed to keep the "name" presenter.

they lucked out that yates isnt a complete disaster in the broadcasting stakes.
    he's not really my style but if he'dve been useless it couldve finished the breakfast show.

Ian Guider is in on the act this morning, making references to Chris' penchant for shopping in Zara and H&M.

I didn't mind the routine at first, but it's taking over the show and I've taken to switching over as a result.

chris has been constantly hazed since the first day he got that gig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I decided to give George another go today, not a good choice as on friday he still has his two sidekicks to lighten his workload. The problem with this format is that George goes on overdrive trying to impress the lads with anidotes some of them wrong but that never stops George:rolleyes:. Its a news program not an ould codger sitting by the bar in the local trying to impress two young fellas with his tales from the past. Back to Drivetime.

I decided to give George another go today, not a good choice as on friday he still has his two sidekicks to lighten his workload. The problem with this format is that George goes on overdrive trying to impress the lads with anidotes some of them wrong but that never stops George:rolleyes:. Its a news program not an ould codger sitting by the bar in the local trying to impress two young fellas with his tales from the past. Back to Drivetime.

Ah I quite like the show on Friday to be honest. It comes across as being a lot more relaxed than the rest of the week. And it's a bit unfair to say it's only done to reduce Hook's workload, Matt Cooper does more or less the same thing on Fridays.

When all is said and done, I think Yates is basically quite lazy. The slagging is a smokescreen for not being willing or able to concentrate on tackling interviewees. Indeed, when questioning a guest, Yates sounds like he's reading off an autocue. Very 'Plank'-like! :-)

I think the exact opposite. Yates has opinions on everything which he has no problem putting to guests or just ranting on, for example he had a rant this morning on Enda's "mad borrowing" speech. He has rich and varied life experience, but he seems bored, bored by his surroundings (name, Chris).

Chris on the other hand brings abolutely nothing original - a guest or a texter could say anything and all Chris can come back with is "fair point".

Just listening to Hooks Saturday Sit In, Tom Dunne as a guest. It was like overhearing two fellas with early Alzheimer's in a pub

I'm getting rather tired of Hook's Saturday thing... It's getting pretty stale, the only things I enjoy listening to now on it are Patrick Geoghan on the Presidents, although there's only gonna be a few more weeks of that... and usually Tom Dunne...

Really think they should get Karen Coleman back, would be much better to have a live show rather than a recorded one...

And crap, I guess it's now time for Sile Seoige? *switches station*

Just listening to Hooks Saturday Sit In, Tom Dunne as a guest. It was like overhearing two fellas with early Alzheimer's in a pub

like listening to a trendy student and a retired stuffy headmaster , thats how much common ground thier is between the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah, I thought Tom was messing, I can't believe he didn't know it was Shane MaGowan they were talking about. He also didn't know it was Liam Gallagher was the other fella. Tom you are slipping up.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm getting rather tired of Hook's Saturday thing... It's getting pretty stale, the only things I enjoy listening to now on it are Patrick Geoghan on the Presidents, although there's only gonna be a few more weeks of that... and usually Tom Dunne...

Really think they should get Karen Coleman back, would be much better to have a live show rather than a recorded one...

And crap, I guess it's now time for Sile Seoige? *switches station*

No way, Karen Coleman is annoying. Always finishing peoples sentences. A bit patronising.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ah I quite like the show on Friday to be honest. It comes across as being a lot more relaxed than the rest of the week. And it's a bit unfair to say it's only done to reduce Hook's workload, Matt Cooper does more or less the same thing on Fridays.

yeah im the same.

usually im off the bus and walking home when it gets to that part of the show and its got a nice rambling charm to it.

its like listening in on a pub conversation between people who genuinely like each other.

got a great laugh when george asked "do you know what i know about dinosaurs ?" and straight off the batt one of the lads says "raqeul welsh"

:)

i dont think ya can script banter like that, particularly from the people involved.

theres enough drama during the week and on other stations to choose from if your not into that sort of stuff.

personally its the only part of his show i catch as i get alot of the references.

Hook's Friday show is really starting to annoy me. It reminds me of that sketch that Gerry Ryan used to do on his radio show with the ould fellas in the pub, talking absolute shyte. Most of the time, they come out with complete rubbish, they haven't a clue what they're talking about and they're winging it for 2 and a half hours. McIntyre is the most annoying of the trio as most of his cultural reference points begin from about the middle of last year, while Hook rambles on and on and on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

NewsTalk are trying to out-RTE the state broadcaster in interviewing each other on air. Dunne on Hook's show, Hook on Davenport, Hook on Breakfast. The only one that seems above it all is Moncrieff.

GSF wrote: »
    NewsTalk are trying to out-RTE the state broadcaster in interviewing each other on air. Dunne on Hook's show, Hook on Davenport, Hook on Breakfast. The only one that seems above it all is Moncrieff.

I reckon if you looked up the definition of 'smug' in the dictionary, you'd find Fionn Davenport's face beside it.

only if he can elbow andrea pappin out of the way.

launching off into one of her euro love in on moncreif.

so ****ing annoying between the both of them ive turned over to mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There is nothing worse than hearing Chris Donoghue try to insult Ivan. He tried to make a "Ivan forgot his wife's birthday" joke or something along those lines that made me cringe. He tries too hard to be entertaining rather than a breakfast current affairs host that he should be. Seán Moncrieff he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There is nothing worse than hearing Chris Donoghue try to insult Ivan. He tried to make a "Ivan forgot his wife's birthday" joke or something along those lines that made me cringe. He tries too hard to be entertaining rather than a breakfast current affairs host that he should be. Seán Moncrieff he is not.
    Himself and Yates are both as bad as each other. I'm getting so sick of the two of them lately, I've nearly found myself switching over to John Murray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hook's Friday show is really starting to annoy me. It reminds me of that sketch that Gerry Ryan used to do on his radio show with the ould fellas in the pub, talking absolute shyte. Most of the time, they come out with complete rubbish, they haven't a clue what they're talking about and they're winging it for 2 and a half hours. McIntyre is the most annoying of the trio as most of his cultural reference points begin from about the middle of last year, while Hook rambles on and on and on and on.

whenever McIntyre speaks all i hear is a boring droning sound...cant stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Ken Burley makes his comeback tonight on Off the Ball...should be good! :)

If you didn't hear it during the World Cup - http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/tracks?page=3

I had to laugh at the Ken Burley segment on OTB. Do the Welsh guys know that's its a piss take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I reckon if you looked up the definition of 'smug' in the dictionary, you'd find Fionn Davenport's face beside it.
    now, where do I find Ger Gilroy in the dictionary?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I don't think they get how bad the Chris/Ivan banter is, the other morning's Ivan can't remember his wife's birthday was just pointless, Chris just comes accross as a child. Maybe if he was a bit more business like and they had one running joke about Ivan or something it might be amusing, but it is painful as is.

To vent some more that "broadcaster" on Andrea Pappin's show this morning. Was that Hook's replacement tech expert? I want to know if that girl ever actually lived in California for an extended period and if not, where did she buy her accent. Valley talk sounds so unprofessional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement