Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

dvcireland wrote: »
    now, where do I find Ger Gilroy in the dictionary?

He comes in under "smugger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The ad for tonights Coleman at Large shows the quality of Newstalk in recent years. The topic is the mistrust of the media by the public. Fair enough topic. But what Coleman flagged as examples was the Presidential Debate Tweet and the Reynolds case, both concerning RTE. Obviously, mistrust of the media is nothing to do with the ownership structures, and the perception that this influences editorial policy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thedubboy

Remind me to tune out for that agenda driven spluttering so-called 'presenter'. Amazes me that he used RTE cases as examples, pot kettle black springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The ad for tonights Coleman at Large shows the quality of Newstalk in recent years. The topic is the mistrust of the media by the public. Fair enough topic. But what Coleman flagged as examples was the Presidential Debate Tweet and the Reynolds case, both concerning RTE. Obviously, mistrust of the media is nothing to do with the ownership structures, and the perception that this influences editorial policy...

He also writes an article (usually full of bluster and búll****) for the Sunday Independent. Marc must have done some serious soul-searching before having a debate on that particular issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I like Marc, completely disagree with his opinion, political orientation etc. but I like him because of it.

It would be very easy for Newstalk to just slip on the cozy moderate armchair leftism that most outlets do. As irritating as I find Marc's christian right "middle Ireland" bull or Ivan Yates mid right trollathon, I think its important to balance out the likes of lunchtime and the allseeing Hook.
    Good radio paints all the picture.

In other , this "x litres of PURE ALCOHOL" I am hearing on the news makes me sick to my stomach. It offends me.
    Its a plant to help Rosin Shorthalls campaign against affordable beer, its overly sensational and it factually incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Listening to Jonathon Healy on Lunchtime today talking about the shooting of the girl in Tallaght.

Anyway he had an ex garda on....

Healy was determined to try and get him to say that gangland crime was down to a failure in legislation (or at least thats what i got from his line of questioning)

The ex copper kept pointing out it was simply down to garda manpower.

Newstalk seem to being aiming for the indignation angle recently....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Macy0161 wrote: »

heh.

not like newstalk havent been stung by the BCI in the past over bias.

IIRC karen colmen got done for pushing a pro lisbon/nice agenda and they had to broadcast an apology for it. i think she had some kind of breakdown when we voted no.

on the shooting of the 16yr old, yeah i got the impression he (healy) was gunning for the cop to blame leglislation too but garda under representation in tallaghts been the norm for decades.

theyve literaly HALF the number of cops per citizen ratio than anywhere else on the island.

when you've twice as many cops per head of population on the aran islands is it any surprise shyte happens ?

oh if only they had a gov minister in cabinet to sort such issues !

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

andrea pappin in for sean?? i'll stick to 5 live for the afternoon i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think Andrea did ok for a standin.
    having said that.... it was just ok.... I still switched to Bacon on 5Live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah, she was certainly superior to some of the recent stand-ins (eg. Pat Short, Gurry O'Sullivan, Des Bishop).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

pappins back on talking point again.

turns out carey is knocked up and on maternity leave now so she'll probably be on for weeks yet

bit of a boring femifest today about "love".

i was desperately hoping the token bloke would go all misogynstic to wind them up but alas it was not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Talking Point is a brutal show. Absolutely terrible regardless of who's presenting it.

But onto the real reason for my rant this morning...

Is it me, or is Newstalk getting progressively more and more preachy day by day? Heard an ad this morning to the effect of "Newstalk, facts, not rumours. No bogus tweets." Or some shíte. And they're having (I think former) DG of RTÉ on breakfast next week. I'd throw a fiver down saying it's gonna be laced with bias bullshít....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Talking Point is a brutal show. Absolutely terrible regardless of who's presenting it.

But onto the real reason for my rant this morning...

Is it me, or is Newstalk getting progressively more and more preachy day by day? Heard an ad this morning to the effect of "Newstalk, facts, not rumours. No bogus tweets." Or some shíte. And they're having (I think former) DG of RTÉ on breakfast next week. I'd throw a fiver down saying it's gonna be laced with bias bullshít....

Yeah thats the angle they are going for all right.

Full page ad in the Irish Times today referring to the bogus Sean Gallagher tweet on Frontline.

I do like most of NTs output, but the hypocracy of this campaign would make you cringe really, in light of their coverage of the Moriarty Tribunal report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

giftgrub wrote: »
    Listening to Jonathon Healy on Lunchtime today talking about the shooting of the girl in Tallaght.

Anyway he had an ex garda on....

Healy was determined to try and get him to say that gangland crime was down to a failure in legislation (or at least thats what i got from his line of questioning)

The ex copper kept pointing out it was simply down to garda manpower.

Newstalk seem to being aiming for the indignation angle recently....

the plea of lack of resources has become tiresome , let the guards volunteer to take another paycut if thier that concerned about a shortage of numbers , better still , allow civilians to stamp passport applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I haven't tuned into Barthelemow McIlhatton FM, sorry I mean Newstalk for a while, but I must say I was pleastanly surprised with the content.

There was even a job announcement that Barthelemow McIlhatton Estate and lettings agents were recruiting during a jobs piece
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Two things to gripe about...

Ken Early: I like him on Off the Ball, but dear Jesus he can't commentate for sh1te! Now, I know yesterday's game wasn't exactly that exciting, but dear lord he nearly put me to sleep in the car with his droning monotone. A commentator should be able to make the worst game in the world sound mildly interesting.

Kids's Talk: Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Why do nt always have liam griffin on when they have a discussion on how bad businesses are strugling. All he ever tallks about his hotels and the hotel sector and how hes been fleeced by taxes rates etc. if they want someone to discuss how bad business has it get ibec on at least instead of an individual whining about his own business and sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

neris wrote: »
    Why do nt always have liam griffin on when they have a discussion on how bad businesses are strugling. All he ever tallks about his hotels and the hotel sector and how hes been fleeced by taxes rates etc. if they want someone to discuss how bad business has it get ibec on at least instead of an individual whining about his own business and sector
    IBEC :eek::eek::eek: The trade union for AIB, BOI and PTSB bosses?

GSF wrote: »

Doesnt have to be IBEC but some group who represent a variety of business rather then 1 individual speaking out for his industry and his personal business would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

can't stand that smug middle-class Ian O'Doherty with his painfully practiced irreverence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

can't stand that smug middle-class Ian O'Doherty with his painfully practiced irreverence.
    A kind of snooty baby Gerry Ryan.

GSF wrote: »

AH yes.

IBEC

the "irish business and employers confederation"....

...who're made up of RTE, Board gais, the esb, board na mona , coilleta, the DAA, An Post, the VHI, CIE, .

you know all the private lads.

:):):):)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I wish they would kill the 'It's not just paint, it's personal' jingle, My head melts everytime I hear the f*ckin thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I wish they would kill the 'It's not just paint, it's personal' jingle, My head melts everytime I hear the f*ckin thing.

..I always think of movie references/quotes when I hear this.

"It's not just paint. It's personal" I expect their next jingle to be "Sh*t..and Paint..just got real.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Spot on. He's so unauthentic.

Anyone hear the interview that their reporter did before 8 this morning in Dundalk. Only caught the end of it but really pi55ed me of listening to that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

neris wrote: »
    Anyone hear the interview that their reporter did before 8 this morning in Dundalk. Only caught the end of it but really pi55ed me of listening to that crap.

Listened to it alright. If the sister is to be believed, he's a proper little angel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

chughes wrote: »
    Listened to it alright. If the sister is to be believed, he's a proper little angel :rolleyes:

Ffs, heard a clip of her on the website there.

"...he never bothered nobody..."

Surely that's only cos he didn't want to wake anybody up while he was was burgling them...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

look up the word pratt in the dictionary and thiers our ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

or the other one they do 'ireland deserves sun.ie' drives me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anyone remember what the q-tip was at the end of Sean Moncrieff's show today? It was a strange cover of something I think, it's wrecking my head I can't remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It was a cover of Big in Japan, quite enjoyed it. Can't remember who it was by though, only that she was female and sounded a bit quirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who will they replace Dunne with? Surely they won't continue with his morning show while his numbers are so low (53,000). I imagine it affects the carry on figures for the Lunch time show and further on down the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Excellent interview with Geraldine Kennedy on breakfast this morning. Put Chris firmly back in his box.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/former-irish-times-editor-geraldine-kennedy-on-breakfast/

which is saying something considering just how complicit geraldine kenndy and the times were in pushing the property boom till it fell off a cliff.

the cheek of her talking up having morgan kelly on page god knows what in the paper to act as a figleaf to balance on the subject when she stood over the page one demonisation of richard curren.

ya'd know she was a politician.

• Advertisement

is that Frank Stapleton on the phone to George about Gender Identity Disorder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Anyone else having issues with this in the last week or so? It doesn't work on the phone, nor over the internet connection at work. TodayFM works fine for both, and I presume they're coming from the same source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yakuza wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with this in the last week or so? It doesn't work on the phone, nor over the internet connection at work. TodayFM works fine for both, and I presume they're coming from the same source.

Have you tried using TuneIn.com?

http://tunein.com/radio/Newstalk-1060-s15123/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Website didn't work from here, might be a firewall thing (will try from home), but the app worked fine (I'd never even heard of it until now!). Cheers :)

future FF leader there on Moncrieff. What a waffler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

future FF leader there on Moncrieff. What a waffler.

Absolutely.

Q: What does Fianna Fail stand for?
    A: Freedom, equality and justice for all!
    Q: And who is against freedom, equality and justice?
    A: :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

who is this ranter (on right now) ?

was reading from a script and lost her place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Who is this cat Ian Guidera...the business guy on newstalk...mid atlantic accent and can't pronounce "th" its dis/dat/dem...etc etc.

Fuckin embarrisn...where did dey get him ?

Who is this cat Ian Guidera...the business guy on newstalk...mid atlantic accent and can't pronounce "th" its dis/dat/dem...etc etc.

Fuckin embarrisn...where did dey get him ?

dis guy was with de sunday tribune, he's actually very good apart from de inability to pronounce 'th'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

bamboozle wrote: »
    dis guy was with de sunday tribune, he's actually very good apart from de inability to pronounce 'th'

Are you taking the piss? Giving out about someone not pronouncing their "th" properly yet you use "de" instead of "the". Couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Are you taking the piss? Giving out about someone not pronouncing their "th" properly yet you use "de" instead of "the". Couldn't make it up.

>>>----The Joke--->

(your head)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bernard would want to calm down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Anyone know the song from the current active 55 ad that is played on Newstalk in the mornings?

hacx wrote: »
    >>>----The Joke--->

(your head)

i'm glad you cleared up that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

The 52 year-old Ivan Yates, (€74,000 public-service pension Ivan) dribbling over
    "hot totty" can hardly be classified as serios current affairs broadcasting.

And Shane Coleman was on yesterday, doing his 'report-card' for the government ministers.
    Once again, the ill-informed (or 'couldn't care less'?) Shane referred to the €600m social welfare 'fraud' which had been uncovered, completely disregarding the truth of the matter which was that more than three quarters of the savings came from correcting errors made by staff in calculating people's entitlements..

Standards are very poor on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement