Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

uriah wrote: »
    The 52 year-old Ivan Yates, (€74,000 public-service pension Ivan) dribbling over
    "hot totty" can hardly be classified as serios current affairs broadcasting.

And Shane Coleman was on yesterday, doing his 'report-card' for the government ministers.
    Once again, the ill-informed (or 'couldn't care less'?) Shane referred to the €600m social welfare 'fraud' which had been uncovered, completely disregarding the truth of the matter which was that more than three quarters of the savings came from correcting errors made by staff in calculating people's entitlements..

Standards are very poor on Newstalk.

Serious ? (Yes there is a "u"in it)

Wouldn't agree re Newstalk...you can have good serious current affairs broadcasting without being completely po faced and buttoned up.

Accept that Yates is like a typical middle aged male dinosaur when it comes to slavering over "tottie" and is the type likely to say "good girl" to waitresses or female interns in Newstalk.

I would contend that their breakfast show provides a creditable alternative to Morning Ireland on RTE and the lighter approach can be welcome in these days of unremitting bad news.

Chill out pilgrim...smell the flowers..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Serious ? (Yes there is a "u"in it)

Chill out pilgrim...smell the flowers..:cool:

This from one who cannot resist using the red biro on a typo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

uriah wrote: »
    The 52 year-old Ivan Yates, (€74,000 public-service pension Ivan) dribbling over
    "hot totty" can hardly be classified as serios current affairs broadcasting.

And Shane Coleman was on yesterday, doing his 'report-card' for the government ministers.
    Once again, the ill-informed (or 'couldn't care less'?) Shane referred to the €600m social welfare 'fraud' which had been uncovered, completely disregarding the truth of the matter which was that more than three quarters of the savings came from correcting errors made by staff in calculating people's entitlements..

Standards are very poor on Newstalk.

In Coleman's defence he seems to be on the radio any time i turn it on, he must be exhausted by this stage....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Who will they replace Dunne with? Surely they won't continue with his morning show while his numbers are so low (53,000). I imagine it affects the carry on figures for the Lunch time show and further on down the schedule.

Is he leaving? I don't listen to newstalk during that time slot because of him, I'd consider going back if it was something decent show wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

playing the a-team at the end of moncreiff today was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

pc7 wrote: »
    Is he leaving? I don't listen to newstalk during that time slot because of him, I'd consider going back if it was something decent show wise.

No there hasn't been any word on anything yet anyway. I feel with his numbers being so low management will have to consider moving him out of that slot.

Like yourself I can't listen to Newstalk in the mornings because of him. I've nothing against the guy he seems like a nice chap but he just doesn't have it what it takes to carry a morning talk radio show, and neither do his research team, the show is laden with dull disinteresting topics and segments. There's fierce competition in that time slot and the ratings reflect how badly he's struggling to hold an audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

To be honest, I don't mind Tom Dunne too much. It's grand if you're on the road a lot, it's kind of like talk radio's answer to easy listening. I do agree that they could do better though. I think Moncrieff would be great in that spot, but I would hate to lose him from his current spot.

I am more disappointed with how lunchtime has turned out. It was entertaining when Eamon Keane was there, then he left and Kiberd came back. I thought Kiberd was great in that spot and I really enjoyed listening to it. Now they've Jonathan Healy who I don't think cuts the mustard at all. He's a bit dull and just trudges through the issues at hand in a very repetitive tone and has no real personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

He just doesn't fit in the station. He is a Music DJ on a news radio station. Sometimes he gets away with it but other times he is clearly struggling. If he had the crutch of some songs to play and talk about he would be fine. I would imagine he will move to Today FM when Newscorp finally get approval to reduce news output on Today FM and balance it with the wall to tall news/talk on Newstalk. He is a better fit somewhere on Today FM (not the morning slot where Ray D'Arcy currently is)

Long term I expect Matt Cooper will move in the opposite direction and slot into the Right Hook space when Hookie retires. I suspect you'll see the Sunday talk & business shows and Premiership Saturday move to onto a single Newstalk platform. Then those vacated slots in Today FM will be taken by easier and cheaper to produce music & light chat based shows (you could see Seil Seoige, Sean Moncrieff etc move to Today FM).

It's a far more natural fit for the two stations. Today FM targeting 2FM listeners and Newstalk targeting Radio1 listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Kurz wrote: »
    I am more disappointed with how lunchtime has turned out. It was entertaining when Eamon Keane was there, then he left and Kiberd came back. I thought Kiberd was great in that spot and I really enjoyed listening to it. Now they've Jonathan Healy who I don't think cuts the mustard at all. He's a bit dull and just trudges through the issues at hand in a very repetitive tone and has no real personality.

Couldn't disagree more. I find Jonathan Healy very amusing and has a bit of mischief about him which is quite refreshing (and not in the Ivan Yates 'sledgehammer to the face' type of mischief, a more subtle type.)

I find listening myself to Newstalk Lunchtime for the entire hour and a half these days whereas before I would have been straight over to Sean O'Rourke at 1, purely due to Jonathan Healy's "dullness"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I like tom dunne. I think he's got way more going for him than darcy. A personality for a start. I like the regular slots he's got on. Biddy, georgio byrnio, etc. don't share his taste in music but I'd hate to see the back of him.
    Ivan and his gimp are the closest thing we've got to sky news style reporting of news. Can't listen to lunchtime as it's just news and I'm currently trying to bury my head. George doesn't do it for me but off the ball is untouchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Kurz wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't mind Tom Dunne too much. It's grand if you're on the road a lot, it's kind of like talk radio's answer to easy listening. I do agree that they could do better though. I think Moncrieff would be great in that spot, but I would hate to lose him from his current spot.

I've mentioned it a few times on this thread, but where the feck is Kiberd? No mention of him since just before the Pres debate on NT.

Can't stand the first 30mins on The Right Hook, why doesn't he have a guest on? Just 30mins wasted on him waffling away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

omerin wrote: »
    Can't stand the first 30mins on The Right Hook, why doesn't he have a guest on? Just 30mins wasted on him waffling away.

I can't listen to Hook at all anymore, I used to listen to newstalk first thing in the morning all the way through to off the ball. Now I only listen to the breakfast show, moncrieff from 3pm on and then off the ball. Used to love the weekend shows with Karen Coleman and then Dunphy but dont listen to her slot since it started getting prerecorded and the sunday show is crap without Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Why are the majority of guests on the Moncrief show American? Either talking about about a book that no-one Will ever read, talking about someone that no-one has ever heard of. Poor Sean has to act like he is interested listening to these drone on with their boring subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

touts wrote: »
    I would imagine he will move to Today FM when Newscorp finally get approval to reduce news output on Today FM and balance it with the wall to tall news/talk on Newstalk.

Cant see how thats going to happen all stations have to have a 20 percent news and current affairs output.

I dont think BAI regs would allow Today to drop its requirement so Newstalk can boost its own.

You'd have every station looking to lower its quota if they made one exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

why do Schools need "industrial strength" broadband? Are there any I.T labs, or better yet, I.T teachers at the end of these broadband connections?

waffles.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

MJ23 wrote: »
    Why are the majority of guests on the Moncrief show American?

Because that's where all the lunatics come from. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus here we go.

the referendum is only a wet week old and already theyre pushing the line its about leaving the euro.

lying bastards arent even trying to make it about whats actually IN the treaty.

TBH given newtalks track record with lisbon im just gonna knock it off now when this subject comes up.

i dont expect any honesty in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Movies and Booze section on the Moncrieff show is excellent as ever. He really is a top-class broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Not a fan of Esther at all. She's very much a film snob. George Byrne on Tom Dunne's show is a far better critic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sergeant wrote: »
    The Movies and Booze section on the Moncrieff show is excellent as ever. He really is a top-class broadcaster.

Only got of part of the movies and boozes today which involved moncrief mentioning willes alot

• Advertisement

DB21 wrote: »
    Not a fan of Esther at all. She's very much a film snob. George Byrne on Tom Dunne's show is a far better critic.

general rule of thumb i go by is if she likes it, i'll think its a steaming pile of shyte to avoid.

worked in the past .

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I can't listen to Hook at all anymore, I used to listen to newstalk first thing in the morning all the way through to off the ball. Now I only listen to the breakfast show, moncrieff from 3pm on and then off the ball. Used to love the weekend shows with Karen Coleman and then Dunphy but dont listen to her slot since it started getting prerecorded and the sunday show is crap without Dunphy.
    NewsTalk has gone down the loo.

I'm not a fan of Ivan Yates. So much promise, but just happy to coast.

The lunchtime slot is nothing.

George Hook is punching time.

The Sunday morning slot ensured I stayed glued to the radio even if I popped over to the other stations for a bit. Now I read the papers earlier and just go about my business from 11:00. I wouldn't stay in for the woeful, clapped out Finucane, NewsTalk Sunday morning dullsville or the Savage PR travesty on Today FM.

Really, NewsTalk are shutting an open door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

McDave wrote: »
    Really, NewsTalk are shutting an open door.

Moncrief, Off The Ball and Sat/Sun Sports (once its not live Premiership coverage) is all that keeps me with Newstalk.

Mornings have switched to RTE1 and Ray D'Arcy, Lunchtime is Ray Foley (I don't understand this either) and RTE1. Drive time is Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am going to go against the norm here, I like Ivan Yeats, he is blunt and tells it like it is, no pussy- footing around, refreshing.The jury is out on Chris Donahue:p
    I cant stand to have to listen to Morning Ireland, so bland and serious, generic:rolleyes:.

Dont like Moncrief, though most posters on here do like him.Dont like Tom Dunne either.I also listen to Georgey Hook too, might go over and back to Matt C, but stay on Hookey for longer.If hooky is off, I do tend to drift away from the show though.His slot with Michael Graham from the US is certainly entertaining.

Johnathon Healy at lunch time is not really my cup of tea, even though there is not much of an alternative, so I endure it.(Dont know where Damien Kiberd has gone:confused:). Its not the first time a presenter has gone from this slot without notice;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Maybe it's because nowadays it's the only radio I hear on a regular basis, but the Breakfast Show is really growing on me. I've felt over the past week or two that the jibing that goes on between Yates and Donoughue has gotten more tolerable. A few of the little sly digs even made me laugh a bit the other morning.
    That said, I feel it could be so much better. A few times (can't recall any specifics to be honest) Donoughue has had to stop Yates mid-rant and clarify the facts for him recently. Shows a lack of research on Yates' part, which is disappointing, because, if he's as good as he is currently without doing much work, how good could he be?

Tom Dunne.... well.... I think his days on NT are numbered. I've had my doubts about him being on that station ever since he made the move from Pet Sounds. He's really not suited to a talk station format. It's not that he's a bad presenter, it's that he cannot present a format of show that has traditionally been done by big hitters in the CA-news-social fields, such as Gerry Ryan, Tubridy, D'Arcy, etc. He's clearly not comfortable with it. He's empathetic to his guests/callers, but sometimes it's up to the host of a show of that format to get mad with the caller and call bullshít on their stories, or passionately disagree with a point of view raised. And it is here that Dunne falls down imho.

Unfortunately I see no way out of this with sacking Dunne now. There are no slots on Today FM in the foreseeable future that he could be transferred to. McLoone doing a stellar job on evenings, KC doing brilliantly at night. And I think he's too high profile to go to a regional/Dublin station. Time will tell i guess, but I don't think we'll see him presenting that slot in a year's time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder would there be a slot on RTE for a Tom Dunne music show if NT were to scrap him. That's his forte and something his does well, he has a great knowledge of music and an eclectic taste that would appeal to a large market imo.

I wonder would there be a slot on RTE for a Tom Dunne music show if NT were to scrap him. That's his forte and something his does well, he has a great knowledge of music and an eclectic taste that would appeal to a large market imo.

I dunno... Dave Fanning kinda has that tied up at RTE, and 2FM is more of a pop-y station in the evenings.

for the life of me i cant remember the night but doesnt tom dunne do a music show on newstalk ?

i think its sunday night but im not certain.

im not a mad fan of music radio but he spins some eclectic stuff thats actually quite listenable.

dont listen to his normal show though as i prefer the plank and only switch over when he's nobbled by some vested interest/spinfest.

though i will admit he recent "doctor bill month" has piqued my interest.

Yeah tis Sunday nights at 9pm I believe. Music radio is what he should be doing imho.

How long do you think Hook will keep having Susane Power on the Sit In? It really comes across as if he doesn't like her, and the segment doesn't get enough time on the show to be enjoyable in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah tis Sunday nights at 9pm I believe. Music radio is what he should be doing imho.

How long do you think Hook will keep having Susane Power on the Sit In? It really comes across as if he doesn't like her, and the segment doesn't get enough time on the show to be enjoyable in any way.

Anyone else on here, like the above poster, who listens to "the Sit In"? Just a random poll.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

delaad wrote: »
    Anyone else on here, like the above poster, who listens to "the Sit In"? Just a random poll.
    I detest Hook during the week so I'll not tune in to his welf sycophantism on a saturday.

He's excellent doing the rugby though. Its like two different people...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

It shows how desperate Dunne is, that he has to resurrect a Today FM character...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

delaad wrote: »

Me! Me! Me!............Sir.Why does she always have to be laughing:confused:.

She is not the only wan though, heres looking at you Maria .... On WLRFM;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I detest Hook during the week so I'll not tune in to his welf sycophantism on a saturday.

He's excellent doing the rugby though. Its like two different people...[/QUOTE]

he is?

he's entertaining all right but as a rugby pundit he's very very average plus on tv he doesnt have researchers handing him notes on what he's discussing which make him seem smart.

only things Hook is capable of discussing are American presidents & politics, taxi's & Iarnrod Eireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He's excellent doing the rugby though. Its like two different people...
    I really don't see that at all - more of the same. And more of the same switching of channel from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 devilshalo

IY is on TV3 now instead of VB - they've had to slow down the autocue X 10 so he can read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What was that olive oil called Paulo Tulio was talking about?.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

pumace or something

whilst im voting no to the fiscal compact because i dont agree with it a good part of me now is quite happy that'll get up the nose of shane coleman and the general media as well.

the ****ing arrogance of them on the issue is unreal.

• Advertisement

what is this gobshyte prattling on about !

kids are heading for science subjects as it the only game in town for jobs.

end of.

its got fup all to do with half the crap he's coming out with.

who in their right mind would train to be a teacher doctor or nurse when the states not hiring, and constructions in the ****ter for a decade at least.

anyone studying for them is studying to emigrate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm now convinced that this loud American woman author on Moncrieff now, (the show rather than the man himself!), is the same one that comes on every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

What is this Dr Bill crap on tom dunne? Is it supposed to be funny or am
    i missing something?

risteard7 wrote: »
    i missing something?

He used to do the character for Gift Grub back in his Today FM days. Haven't had a chance to listen to it lately to be honest, but the snippets I've heard in ads really don't sound good. The voice isn't convincing anymore. And it used to be really good. Even had his own album (Dr. Bill's Rotten Apples).

i missing something?
    Merciful Lor'

Indeed and you are missing something, indeed and you are.

The 'DBC' seems to be a re-run of the Bill Cullin/Drunken Politician skit that used to feature on Dunphy's evening drivetime show. I used to love it. There was actually a CD of 'greatest hits' as well! I've no idea what the current offering is like.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He used to do the character for Gift Grub back in his Today FM days. Haven't had a chance to listen to it lately to be honest, but the snippets I've heard in ads really don't sound good. The voice isn't convincing anymore. And it used to be really good. Even had his own album (Dr. Bill's Rotten Apples).
    Is there another CD?

I have 'De best of de Last Word wit Bill Cullin'. Class sketches include 'Nobin wit de Hobnobs' and 'Bootiful Girlie Boy Legs (about Pat Kenny)'.

Stuart Carolan was the driving force, but Tom Dunne did the fantastic Dr Bill!

Class radio!!:pac:

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    Is there another CD?

I have 'De best of de Last Word wit Bill Cullin'. Class sketches include 'Nobin wit de Hobnobs' and 'Bootiful Girlie Boy Legs (about Pat Kenny)'.

Stuart Carolan was the driving force, but Tom Dunne did the fantastic Dr Bill!

Class radio!!:pac:

Not sure to be honest. The father got the CD a few years back. I remember the "Nobin' with da Hobknobs" was on it, where Bill went to the Opera to see Waiting for Goddott and kept talking and eating Taytos, there was another one where he was doing yoga and managed to contort himself so he could.... erm.... do some "spring cleaning", but couldn't get back. :pac:

I remember the CD was called "Rotten Apples" so maybe the one you had was a greatest hits and this one was just one of the yearly installments or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The current offerings are the originals, still great. And yes, you're missing something, a funny bone from somewhere !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

A lot of it is Dublin Humour aimed at Dublin People. You either get it or you don't. Personally I don't.

It's still better than Greentea and even Gift Grub has gone downhill significantly in recent years. Irish radio just doesn't do comedy well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm from Dublin and think it's about as funny as a dose of leprosy. Think Newstalk is on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment, Moncrief is still the best thing on radio to my mind but there's little else there for me now. The Lunchtime show in particular has just gone down the toilet, never thought I'd miss Eamon Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

i missing something?

Its terrible stuff.

No idea who Dr. Bill is.

No idea what they're on about.

No idea if it is meant to be comedy (I thought comedy was meant to be funny).

I can only get Newstalk in my work van (aerial broke). From 10-12 I sing out loud (and I can't sing).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement