Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dr. Bill = Bill Cullen, a piss take of Bill Cullen from around the time he got an honoury doctorate and released Golden Apples detailing how he went to school with no shoes and built an empire from selling apples, A Dublin version of Angelas Ashes almost in terms of how hard life was back then. You really need to be relating it back to the Bill Cullen and his book of the day.

I'm guessing anyone that doesn't know who he is were too young to be listening to Eamon Dunphy when it originally aired at the time and were probably doing homework, or just didn't listen to Today FM at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm from Dublin and think it's about as funny as a dose of leprosy. Think Newstalk is on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment, Moncrief is still the best thing on radio to my mind but there's little else there for me now. The Lunchtime show in particular has just gone down the toilet, never thought I'd miss Eamon Keane.

Lunchtime is very poor indeed now. I always used to flick between Today FM and Newstalk during that timeslot, but now it's Foley all the way.

I really enjoyed Tom Dunne's show this morning, up until about 11:30 was very interesting. Went down from there, even though the idea of Parachute in Irish is something I'd really like to see! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Lunchtime is very poor indeed now. I always used to flick between Today FM and Newstalk during that timeslot, but now it's Foley all the way.

I really enjoyed Tom Dunne's show this morning, up until about 11:30 was very interesting. Went down from there, even though the idea of Parachute in Irish is something I'd really like to see! :pac:

s'what happens when you sack all your talent cause theyre world views are at varience with the owners.

newstalk is basically DOB fm now.

ya cant pay me to listen to coleman (shane or marc) and that savage lad can go **** himself if he thinks im tuning into that show on today fm.

i cant stand the woman but its marion now on a sunday for me as i refuse to contribute to the listnership figures of the others.

newstalks breakfast show is all i really listen to as moncrief is getting right up my tits with his middleclass love in. but at least i can understand why people listen to him.

bobby kerr on the business show and the rest is just a fecking mystery scoobie doo couldnt figure out to me

(though i still think it'd end with "look, dennis the billionaire did it !" )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Not sure to be honest. The father got the CD a few years back. I remember the "Nobin' with da Hobknobs" was on it, where Bill went to the Opera to see Waiting for Goddott and kept talking and eating Taytos, there was another one where he was doing yoga and managed to contort himself so he could.... erm.... do some "spring cleaning", but couldn't get back. :pac:

I remember the CD was called "Rotten Apples" so maybe the one you had was a greatest hits and this one was just one of the yearly installments or something.
    The one I'm talking about is different. I don't remember the crisps or the yoga sketches. They're not on my CD. Indeed and they're not. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I really enjoyed the interview with Maeve Kyle (Ireland's first female Olympic Athlete) on Off The Ball yesterday.

They put up a link to it here

http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/maeve-kyle

Nice to hear an interesting person talking about their life, and being given time to tell some stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was quite good interesting wasn't it. I was trying to work out how old she was judging from the stories she was telling, she must be around 80. If she was in the olympics and world all stars for hockey in the 50s, she must have been in and around her 20s then, so that's 60 years ago. She was bright as a button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some big numbers being discussed this morning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

What is really getting on my goat with NT at the moment is the ad breaks, Especially on Off The Ball. They Take a 3-4 minute break at 10, come back and talk pony for 2 mins, then take another break, then go to news (sometimes with a bit more fill in talk before hand). Can they not come up with a running order that includes goin to breaks a little earlier. Happens on other shows too, but basically, you're looking at 6-8 minutes of ads, in the last 10 minutes of the hour. Not knocking that they have ads btw, they need to earn their crust, just the timings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

live action role playing games? must have been Dobby on the line there.

/peep show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

McDave wrote: »
    The one I'm talking about is different. I don't remember the crisps or the yoga sketches. They're not on my CD. Indeed and they're not. :pac:

sweet merciful hour, there were two cd's, one i think as a navan man and then the second was rotton apples which featured mtv cribs, the yoga, hob nobbing at the nob-do's, the meaning of words and lots of cameo appearances by Bang Bang.

i found rotton apples to be hilarious, indeed and i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm tiring of the little love ins Moncrief is having with his bog monster at the end of each show. The bog woman is his producer or something and she comes in to the studio to talk about 'some good things to do tonight'.
    Plus he's taken to calling it Netty. Eugh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I'm tiring of the little love ins Moncrief is having with his bog monster at the end of each show. The bog woman is his producer or something and she comes in to the studio to talk about 'some good things to do tonight'.

people that don't have dublin accents shouldn't be allowed on the radio then? :rolleyes:

of all the things to pick out, you have picked the lamest excuse for a rant.
    you can always switch off at 4.20 if it bugs you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

How's life in the Pale treating you?

people that don't have dublin accents shouldn't be allowed on the radio then? :rolleyes:

of all the things to pick out, you have picked the lamest excuse for a rant.
    you can always switch off at 4.20 if it bugs you that much.

I'm not ranting about it, I just find her accent irritating and not suited to radio. That's not to say anyone not from Dublin shouldn't be let inside a studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm not ranting about it, I just find her accent irritating and not suited to radio. That's not to say anyone not from Dublin shouldn't be let inside a studio.

Well, I'm a culchie myself and I'm pretty sure that she's souping up that accent for effect. Didn't hear her today but she was fierce annoying yesterday.

bamboozle wrote: »
    sweet merciful hour, there were two cd's, one i think as a navan man and then the second was rotton apples which featured mtv cribs, the yoga, hob nobbing at the nob-do's, the meaning of words and lots of cameo appearances by Bang Bang.

i found rotton apples to be hilarious, indeed and i did.
    I'll raise me glass of red lemonade to dat. So I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

what happened to the twins he had who did that whats on tonight slot at the end of moncrieff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I usually agree with Michael Clifford, but he's talking nonsense right now... comparing Paul Begley case to the man who defrauded the social welfare of hundreds of thousands of euros ... He puts this down to one being white collar and the other being blue collar... This is a load of nonsense..

People discriminate between the two cases because Paul Begley is essentially a good man and a net contributor to the State, through taxes and providing employment.. He tried to cut a few corners, but still overall makes a net positive contribution to the State. The guy who defrauded the State of thousands of euros of social welfare was making NO net contribution to the State. He took the State for every penny he could get and lived pretty high on it by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I usually agree with Michael Clifford, but he's talking nonsense right now... comparing Paul Begley case to the man who defrauded the social welfare of hundreds of thousands of euros ... He puts this down to one being white collar and the other being blue collar... This is a load of nonsense..

People discriminate between the two cases because Paul Begley is essentially a good man and a net contributor to the State, through taxes and providing employment.. He tried to cut a few corners, but still overall makes a net positive contribution to the State. The guy who defrauded the State of thousands of euros of social welfare was making NO net contribution to the State. He took the State for every penny he could get and lived pretty high on it by all accounts.

I think you are making huge assumption's here,yes he was living out of the country but how do you or I know what he did before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think you are making huge assumption's here,yes he was living out of the country but how do you or I know what he did before.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0721/murrayp.html
    A man who defrauded the State of €248,800 in social welfare payments and other benefits has been sent to jail for 12 and a half years.
    Judge Anthony Kennedy described Paul Murray as a professional fraudster who was shamelessly cheating the system left, right and centre while he enjoyed plenty of excitement travelling the world. Murray pleaded guilty at a sitting of Mullingar Circuit Court to fraudulently claiming €248,800 while he was a resident in Thailand and elsewhere around the world.

The court was told that Murray, aged 63, with no fixed address had made the fraudulent claims and received the payments while holding seven international passports with seven driving licences and the money had been paid into seven different bank accounts between 2005 and 2010.
    He said he spent the money, which was fraudulently claimed on holidays in Thailand, South America, Asia and Europe. He said he was a part owner of an apartment in Thailand but it is not in his name. Between 2006 and 2010 he repeatedly made claims for disability allowance, job seekers allowance and supplementary welfare income in his own name and the names of other people, most of the claims were made through to HSE Community Welfare Officer.

Yes I am aware of all the info thats in the public domain.Both men defrauded the state,you (and others) seem to think that because the fruit importer had a business and employed people that this can justify a 6 year gap in the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

a sore throat of a brased knee could kill.

this courtessy of newstalks newsdesk in relation to antibiotic proofed bugs.

mother of god .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Ivan Yates allegedly to quit Newstalk and move to Britain to avail of their one year bankruptcy laws. Has described his financial position as "impossible", banks charging him €4,000 per week on his debts (interest?).

Sorry, no link, just heard it on Radio 1 news.

I feel sorry for his financial position but can't say I'll miss him off the radio, over the past while I've found him increasingly irritating. If he wasn't allowed to rant or talk about sex he'd have very little to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

johngalway wrote: »
    Ivan Yates allegedly to quit Newstalk and move to Britain to avail of their one year bankruptcy laws. Has described his financial position as "impossible", banks charging him €4,000 per week on his debts (interest?).

Sorry, no link, just heard it on Radio 1 news.

I feel sorry for his financial position but can't say I'll miss him off the radio, over the past while I've found him increasingly irritating. If he wasn't allowed to rant or talk about sex he'd have very little to say.

That situation with the bankruptcy laws here is really stupid, and is not helping jobs.How can anyone be expected to pay that sort of money? I actually like him in the mornings, he is refreshing and I will be sorry to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I like listening to Ivan and Chris in the morning and I would hate to see him go. Ivan can handle both heavy and light topics on the morning show and the fact that he was once on the inside of Leinster House means that he can see through the BS.

I don't understand the knocking of Chris and Ivan on this thread. You don't have to listen to them, there are other stations.

Oh goodie! Guess we're in for tonnes more Shane Coleman then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rather sad situation when you end up fleeing the country due to the crazy terms of a bank that is basically in public ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

jimmyw wrote: »
    That situation with the bankruptcy laws here is really stupid, and is not helping jobs.How can anyone be expected to pay that sort of money? I actually like him in the mornings, he is refreshing and I will be sorry to see him go.
    Well actually he did borrow it, so he thought he could pay. Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to borrow the money.
    He's an inspiration to us all! When things get though get out. An insight into the political/ruling/upper class mentality. Leave us behind to pay his debt, because you know who is going to pay his debt don't you? Do you need a hint as to who will end up paying his debt? ....

Yeah I feel really sorry for him alright.

mike65 wrote: »
    Rather sad situation when you end up fleeing the country due to the crazy terms of a bank that is basically in public ownership.
    Bank want their money back. Which bit of that is crazy ????

• Advertisement

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Well actually he did borrow it, so he thought he could pay. Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to borrow the money.
    He's an inspiration to us all! When things get though get out. An insight into the political/ruling/upper class mentality. Leave us behind to pay his debt, because you know who is going to pay his debt don't you? Do you need a hint as to who will end up paying his debt? ....

Yeah I feel really sorry for him alright.

All business's have to borrow money at some stage, its how they survive.But with the silly laws like this, I can fully understand why he has decided to go.If the laws were different, I am sure he would stay here.

I agree if the taxpayer has to carry the can, well that is disgraceful and he should be asked will he be paying it still, but you nor I don't actually know for sure.

We need to be supporting business in this country not all this other c**p.

jimmyw wrote: »
    All business's have to borrow money at some stage, its how they survive.But with the silly laws like this, I can fully understand why he has decided to go.If the laws were different, I am sure he would stay here.

I agree if the taxpayer has to carry the can, well that is disgraceful and he should be asked will he be paying it still, but you nor I don't actually know for sure.

We need to be supporting business in this country not all this other c**p.
    Well he seemed happy with the laws when he was in government! Don't remember him leading a clamor to change any laws then.
    He borrowed the money. He is legging it. We are going to pay it back.
    If that is your idea of supporting business then you can keep it!

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Bank want their money back. Which bit of that is crazy ????

Nothing in itself, if the terms cause someone to flee to another, more sympathetic jurisdiction then something is wrong. AIB is owned by the public its actually in our interests to make it easier for "failed" businesses to be rescued and for liabilities to be met in an intelligent fashion. The Victorian punishment mentality of the existing laws makes matters worse not better.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bank-charges-yates-4000-interest-each-week-on-his-debts-3053409.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/to-stay-or-go-exminister-now-at-third-crossroads-in-career-3053443.html

Going by those articles anyway, I can see no mention of the taxpayers having to fork out, quite the opposite in fact if its to be believed .Its the banks I would give a size 12 kick to for being too inflexible.

If you are going to do this kind of thing to all business's, then there will be none left here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Some very basic mis-understnding of bankruptcy here and who actually pays in the end. The reason bankruptcy is so punative (granted its being relaxed now) is because otherwise it would be abused as is already happening with company law.You have restaurants clsoing down and the operators re-opening, weeks after dissolving companies and leaving suppliers high and dry.
    Bookies businesses are not really the type of business we need to be encouraging either. Ivan made a balls of his business and failed to get involved with an online presence. HE borrowed the money and YOU will have to pay for it in the long run. It's laughable when you hear people complaining that the banks won't lend. They won't lend for many reasons and this type of thing is one of them.
    Typically it's being painted as the nasty banks against the good guys again:rolleyes: The bank is not the bad guy in this situation.
    The resident FF hack, Shane Colemen will be delighted though.
    I don't listen to it anyway, as yer man Chris sounds like a child and has no depth at all.

I'd be very sorry to see the two boys split up. I despised their partnership at the beginning but over time they've won me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

jimmy wrote: »

Always switch over from morning Ireland at 9 in the mornings and sometimes earlier,Be sorry to see him go.Maybe he will come to some agreement with AIB re payments.

Some very basic mis-understnding of bankruptcy here and who actually pays in the end. The reason bankruptcy is so punative (granted its being relaxed now) is because otherwise it would be abused as is already happening with company law.You have restaurants clsoing down and the operators re-opening, weeks after dissolving companies and leaving suppliers high and dry.
    Bookies businesses are not really the type of business we need to be encouraging either. Ivan made a balls of his business and failed to get involved with an online presence. HE borrowed the money and YOU will have to pay for it in the long run. It's laughable when you hear people complaining that the banks won't lend. They won't lend for many reasons and this type of thing is one of them.
    Typically it's being painted as the nasty banks against the good guys again:rolleyes: The bank is not the bad guy in this situation.
    The resident FF hack, Shane Colemen will be delighted though.
    I don't listen to it anyway, as yer man Chris sounds like a child and has no depth at all.

Yes I fully agree with you with on this point re rogue companies filling for Bankruptcy and then re opening the next week.That is certainly wrong and must be stamped out.But what about the genuine cases.Just kicking these to the kerb instead of working with them and saving some or all jobs is far beter.

Yes he made a balls of the situation, and took his eye off the ball, but the banks are not helping things with their inflexibility,But I do disagree with you on the banks being the "good" guys, they are not.

If yourself was in this situation, would you keep paying this extortionate amount of money?

I will have to agree to disagree with most of the points on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

I actually grew to like him on the radio but in recent months I felt much of his interaction with guests was a bit childish and giddy. That said Shane and Chris are indistinguishable in their blandness. Playing the straight man in a partnership is fine but two straightmen is a doomed partnership.

I presume if he is declared bankrupt in the UK he will be able to come back in 2 years and take up his Dail & Ministerial pensions. They are more like a salary than actual assets so I suspect the banks will have very little claim over them beyond the two year cutoff. If you knew you could leave for two years and then come back to a couple of huge pensions wouldn't you do a runner also. If he has family or friends to take him in for the two years on the promise that he will repay them from his six figure pension afterwards it's a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'll be happy to see him go. Maybe NT Breakfast will be listenable again. He is nothing but a poor man's Gerry Ryan.

• Advertisement

For me Yates turned out to be quite a disappointment. So I personally won't miss him.

As far as NewsTalk breakfast is concerned, if we go by their standards of recent years, they'll give the job to a bland non-entity replacement. And, yes, Shane Coleman fits that description too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

@breakfastnt just tweeted that Ivan will be doing the show live tomorrow.

touts wrote: »
    @breakfastnt just tweeted that Ivan will be doing the show live tomorrow.

'Cos the banks are on holiday so the coast is clear? :pac:

The big goodbye I'd say.

McDave wrote: »
    For me Yates turned out to be quite a disappointment. So I personally won't miss him.

As far as NewsTalk breakfast is concerned, if we go by their standards of recent years, they'll give the job to a bland non-entity replacement. And, yes, Shane Coleman fits that description too.

This could clear the way for Hook to jump into the breakfast slot and mat cooper to mover over to newstalk.

This could clear the way for Hook to jump into the breakfast slot and mat cooper to mover over to newstalk.
    Would that mean finally converting Today FM into a 2FM-style light entertainment/music station?

I'm not sure about Hook in the morning. He's not so sharp any more and I think he'd be too far off the pace for a serious morning CA programme. But then again maybe NT are happy to let it potter along in the lightish way they've let it go under Yates.

Oh dear God no! :( That will be the final nail in the coffin for NT Breakfast if it happens. I can just about put up with George the few evenings a week I'm listening to the radio at the time when he's on, but Jesus Christ, imagine listening to him first thing in the morning? :\:\

Ivan was on today, made no reference to leaving(no real shock there). He also said he'd be back tomorrow... so maybe he had to give a week's notice or something to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Oh dear God no! :( That will be the final nail in the coffin for NT Breakfast if it happens. I can just about put up with George the few evenings a week I'm listening to the radio at the time when he's on, but Jesus Christ, imagine listening to him first thing in the morning? :\:\

Ivan was on today, made no reference to leaving(no real shock there). He also said he'd be back tomorrow... so maybe he had to give a week's notice or something to leave.
    Imagine Marc Coleman in the Morning

I wonder if NT will put in a sneaky bid for Pat Kenny?

Hook by his own admission has been after the morning job for years so he would be open to make the switch. That leaves the drivetime slot vacant and I can't see who they could source internally to fill it. It probably means O'Brien would have to get out the chequebook and lure in a big name to insure the show's competitive ratings don't suffer.

On a side note is Yates departure from the B.S confirmed? And if so will he work out a notice or vacate his role immediately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Thelma Mansfield, get off.

judge__s_buzzer_web8bde2fed.jpeg

#MySonIsaSandDesigner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement