Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh dear God no! :( That will be the final nail in the coffin for NT Breakfast if it happens. I can just about put up with George the few evenings a week I'm listening to the radio at the time when he's on, but Jesus Christ, imagine listening to him first thing in the morning? :\:\

Ivan was on today, made no reference to leaving(no real shock there). He also said he'd be back tomorrow... so maybe he had to give a week's notice or something to leave.

Yes but did you also hear him saying he could get used to doing the show on his own.........................................................Ouch Chris:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't want to see Ivan and Chris broken up. The fake banter in the mornings is so cringey that I can't stop listening. Coleman in the morning would be a punishment to us listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know im starting to get a great laugh out of the level of denial the jounos are in relating to the property tax.

i doubt any of em thought 84% still wouldnt have signed up by now and the lads (i.e shane coleman and co) were great craic dissembling this lunch time.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

only part i heard today on lunchtime was healy interviewing the guy from the chamber of commerce. farcical interview at the start. duno who made chambers of commerce a spokesgroup on household charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

George getting stuck in to that wan Dil ... great to see her tackled for once on her agenda...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

George getting stuck in to that wan Dil

Ewwww..........

But seriously, what was it about? I didn't hear it but I really do not like her on radio, incredibly biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

neris wrote: »
    only part i heard today on lunchtime was healy interviewing the guy from the chamber of commerce. farcical interview at the start. duno who made chambers of commerce a spokesgroup on household charges.

Same individual was on Morning Ireland - bit of paraphrasing but basically he said €100 is nothing and its about time people started paying for rates as business had been subsidising individuals for years - you would have thought someone would have told him not to go on the radio again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Ewwww..........

But seriously, what was it about? I didn't hear it but I really do not like her on radio, incredibly biased.

I listen to her show from time to time and find her manner a bit patronsising but listening to Hook playing devil's advocate by assuming a pro-racism stance is just beyond absurdity.

He kept arguing that he doesn't come across this racism personally so it doesn't exist. Hardly surprising that a 75 year old man who works as a rugby pundit and lives in Donnybrook or wherever doesn't come across much racism.

The guy should have been sent to the glue factory a long time ago. It's not that I don't like him because I disagree with his point of view, he doesn't have a point of view and is so far afloat that he's incapable of developing a point of view on contemporary issues. He just picks up the nearest strong viewpoint and runs with it. They need to bring Matt Copper into that slot asap and put poor old George out of his misery.

Kurz wrote: »
    I listen to her show from time to time and find her manner a bit patronsising but listening to Hook playing devil's advocate by assuming a pro-racism stance is just beyond absurdity.

He kept arguing that he doesn't come across this racism personally so it doesn't exist. Hardly surprising that a 75 year old man who works as a rugby pundit and lives in Donnybrook or wherever doesn't come across much racism.

The guy should have been sent to the glue factory a long time ago. It's not that I don't like him because I disagree with his point of view, he doesn't have a point of view and is so far afloat that he's incapable of developing a point of view on contemporary issues. He just picks up the nearest strong viewpoint and runs with it. They need to bring Matt Copper into that slot asap and put poor old George out of his misery.

Dont agree with you, he has to have the opposite point of view whether its from his personal experience or not.I prefer the show, although I do go over to Matt as well.

I am doubtful about your statement above in bold :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Infoanon wrote: »
    Same individual was on Morning Ireland - bit of paraphrasing but basically he said €100 is nothing and its about time people started paying for rates as business had been subsidising individuals for years - you would have thought someone would have told him not to go on the radio again.

Ya he was that bad, such a patronizing arsehole would be best keeping his mouth shut as he's not doing his group any good . He came across like his agenda was to get this in place so corporate rates could be lowered .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

jimmyw wrote: »
    Dont agree with you, he has to have the opposite point of view whether its from his personal experience or not.I prefer the show, although I do go over to Matt as well.

Agreed about George's approach and would go as far as saying that at times Dils program is the anti Irish FM, she's so bad I dont know how they maintain sponsorship.

Nothing wrong with a program like hers if it's fair and balanced but when it's constantly on the attack what's the point . Saying that I don't listen anymore because of this so it could have changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

jimmyw wrote: »

I don't dislike him, he's an old man doing a job that he couldn't care less about. He takes the oppositional view for the sake of it and his paycheck comes in at the end of the week. He doesn't have the foggiest about what's going on in Ireland other than what he gets from news media.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I've finally run out of patience with the breakfast show.

According to one of their advertisers, I am right smack in the middle of Newstalk's target demographic. In which case, this may or may not be of interest to Newstalk's advertisers:

What I am not interested in, is the current affairs equivalent of a Laurel and Hardy show. The "banter" between Yates and O'Donohue was mildly amusing at first, once it was in small doses. There's nothing wrong with a bit of light relief, especially given the times we find ourselves in, but the tired attempts at "humour" from the two lads and Yates' faux righteous indignation are simply cringe-worthy at this stage.

Bye-bye Newstalk, hello BBC Radio 4. For good.

Ivans just confirmed hes leaving on good friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

He took the ratings from 53K to 130k over 3 years (including the extra hour from 9-10am). Can argue with the fact that after Dunphy, Williams, Byrne and all the others, Yates was the only one to get the ratings heading up to a respectable number. Newstalk will miss him. If its Coleman & Donoghue those numbers will drop pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I for one am very sad to see Ivan go, I really enjoy listening to him and his inside track from when he was a politician, I love the slagging between himself and chris.
    If Hook gets the slot I'm gone, when Hook started his saturday sit in I wrote to NT and complained that everytime I hear Hook I turn off! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think Chris is genuinely sad that Ivan is leaving, sounded a tad upset this moring when reading the story and chatting to Ivan about it.

I will miss him to be honest. I mean, I'll be the first to say that i cringe at a lot of what he says, but compared to Morning Ireland, NT Breakfast is just so listenable with the two of them on it. If Hook gets the slot, I'm probably gone from NT for good. The only time I really get a chance to listen is in the morning (maybe Off The Ball on occasion) and I couldn't bear listening to that miserable bollix at 7am.

And if they bring in Shane Coleman it would nearly be worse. Two people who don't exactly have the most vibrant personality doing a show together..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think this will seriously hurt the breakfast show's ratings. They've doubled under Ivan's watch, so argue all you want about not liking him, he gets results, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

dont ask me where the hell this comes form.

probably because they did a bit with hooky with the man.

but i think derek davis could be a good fit for the morning show.

he fillled in for pat kenny i think a few years back (or someone, could been matt cooper :) ! ) and he was a hell of a lot better a political analyst than i thought he'd be.

i'd really only known him from live at 3 at that stage !

certainly shane or marc coleman would be the death of the show to me.

ive pretty much switched off alot of their shows as the consensus does my head in.

derek davis was onthe last word last friday. always thought he was more general chat then news/politics/econonmy. he does have a sense of humour though and doesnt take himself too seriously which would keep the show away from the stodgy seriousness of rte

Well all you Yates haters have got what you wanted.Must be great news for you all;). I think its sad to hear it, I liked him and his rants and agreed with alot of what he had to say, although not everything.

I also dont mind GH either, but I am not too sure if he would be suitable to be on a breakfast show.Possibly a bit early? I dont know maybe he is far fitter than me for instance:p.

I am not too sure about Shane, bit bland, me thinks.He is already on with G Hook on Fridays and is on the Sunday morning show, plus he fills in for George sometimes too and fills in and contributes to the lunchtime show on occasions.

He is also a columnist for a newspaper.It will be interesting to see who they will get, but my guess is Shane Coleman as he has filled in for him, but maybe it would not suit him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

This is an absolute disaster for NT, ratings-wise and just in terms of their relevance generally.

The only way they could now compound the disaster would be to give Chris the show solo.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    This is an absolute disaster for NT, ratings-wise and just in terms of their relevance generally.

The only way they could now compound the disaster would be to give Chris the show solo.

Or bring Bobby Kerr on to replace Ivan! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Sorry I'm a bit out of touch on this one. Any particular reason or he just wants to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Or bring Bobby Kerr on to replace Ivan! :pac:

That did cross my mind alright, but on reflection I think anyone, and I mean anyone, with Chris would be better than Chris solo.

derek davis was onthe last word last friday. always thought he was more general chat then news/politics/econonmy. he does have a sense of humour though and doesnt take himself too seriously which would keep the show away from the stodgy seriousness of rte

thats exactly what i was thinking.

theve pretty much set up the breakfast show as being the more jovial option for those put off by Po-faced RTE. still covering the same issues but using a totally different language to get it across in a more everyday fashion.

They need to find someone that has a bit of a rogueish charm about them if they want to keep that feel.

if you look at dunphy when he did it you could say theres was a "street" level to it (not exactly the right term im looking for but you get what i mean, a more straight talking "outsider" look at things) even back then.

shane coleman and the like would just suck that out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very sad news

nothing worth listening to in the mornings now:(

MCFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

miketv wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit out of touch on this one. Any particular reason or he just wants to?
    Official line is that he is stepping down from all media work so that he can sort out his financial troubles. A lot of people suspect that he will move to UK and declare himself bankrupt, which he has indicated on a few occassions that he is considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Sad to see him go. I thoroughly enjoyed his rants - they were usually reasonably insightful and always beautifully cynical. The schtick with Chris could wear a bit thin but it wasn't all that bad - it definitely got an occasional giggle out of me.

Hard to see who they can get to replace him. Thoroughly bored with Hook, Coleman is too self-righteous and takes himself far too seriously for me. Declan Kyberd seems to have disappeared off the scene as far as NT is concerned, imagine he might be ok but lacks any humour. Dunphy is obviously out. Maybe someone like Mick Clifford or some print journo? Sweet jesus, they wouldn't bring Clare back????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I loved Ivan's no bullsh1t approach to broadcasting, he said exactly what was on his mind and was never afraid to overstep the perceived line or rattle a few cages.To his credit he always remained objective when it came to politics despite his former career as an FG TD and Minister. I hope he can make a return to the airwaves at some point in the future.

• Advertisement

I thought Derek Davis said he was retired from broadcasting some time ago.I dont know if the money and circumstances are right I suppose:p..The Irish Times are saying that Shane C is standing in for Ivan until they get a replacement, but I would guess that he will be permanent.

It would be nice to bring in some other person though.

dear gods no.

everytime he turns up on the lunchtime show i switch off.

ive never had a reaction to a presenter that i do to shane. the closest is probably anton savage over on today fm, who gets on my tits no end.

seriously where do they breed these feckers ?

its like the current bunch of up and commers are all a pack of davenports.

is there NO ONE in the media anymore that can at least FAKE normalacy ?

im starting to think im stuck in a boarding school !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dear gods no.

everytime he turns up on the lunchtime show i switch off.

ive never had a reaction to a presenter that i do to shane. the closest is probably anton savage over on today fm, who gets on my tits no end.

seriously where do they breed these feckers ?

its like the current bunch of up and commers are all a pack of davenports.

is there NO ONE in the media anymore that can at least FAKE normalacy ?

im starting to think im stuck in a boarding school !

He is Dermot Ahern's brother in law

i know.

kinda colours everything i hear him say now.

ditto for savage knowing who HIS ma and da is.

on OP.

FFS this is the WORST description of a film ive heard in ages !

its a movie, who cares if the kids die !

thats the point of it.

their champions for their respective peoples. ive never read the books and even I figured that out.

sounds like a rip off of robotjox to me without the giant robots.

i swear the movie reviews get worse on moncrief as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I hate to see someone lose their job, but I am delighted I may finally have a good morning alternative that isn't Phantom with their faux-American presenters. Yates, while increasing ratings, dragged the show down, imo, and reduced it to his personal soap-box. His cringe-worthy "banter" with Chris and his belligerent rants really turned me away from the station as a whole.

Hopefully, someone competent will be brought in. Matt Cooper would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Maybe Denis can bail him out to keep Ivan ;)

On replacements, there are plenty of unemployed hacks out there. Tom McGuirk might feature (hopefully not!), Derek Davis, how about Anne Doyle - she would put the wind up Chris no end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

i know.

kinda colours everything i hear him say now.

ditto for savage knowing who HIS ma and da is.

Willie O'Reilly's sacks Sam Smyth and gives Anton Savage his own show on Today fm. A week later we hear Willie is off to RTE, whose Chairman just so happens to be Anton Savage's father. Small world:rolleyes:.

I didn't know about Shane Coleman's family connections, it kind of throws a different light on the relatively easy ride he gave Micheal Martin on yesterday's Lunchtime show.

He is Dermot Ahern's brother in law

Really? didnt know that. Another slinger he was like a lot of FFers.

So now I know what side of the fence SC is on.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Shane Coleman declares that the Mahon tribunal's accusation that FF ministers tried to collaspe the Bertie module of the tribunal was not credible. A guest says that accusation is in fact very credible and also names the FF ministers in question. Shane Coleman throws a huge hissy fit.....hmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

EchoO wrote: »
    Shane Coleman declares that the Mahon tribunal's accusation that FF ministers tried to collaspe the Bertie module of the tribunal was not credible. A guest says that accusation is in fact very credible and also names the FF ministers in question. Shane Coleman throws a huge hissy fit.....hmmmmm.

The guy has no credibility as a commentator.He has no business being on the radio. I guess he relies on the fact that most listeners don't know of his connections to Fianna Faíl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

O'Cuiv on Coleman.

Long pause from the FF TD, when Coleman said that FF were done. Good stuff by Coleman.

• Advertisement

tormy on coleman on the household charge.

482k people is no 600k apparently !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

has newstalk this week changed its name to householdchargeFM?...its all they are talking about...well except for George being over in Boston pretending to be American again talking all things American.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

bamboozle wrote: »
    has newstalk this week changed its name to householdchargeFM?...its all they are talking about...well except for George being over in Boston pretending to be American again talking all things American.

I belive Hook was on Boston radio,did anybody hear him..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dub13 wrote: »

he often co-hosts that guy michael graham's show when he's over there with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dub13 wrote: »

He played a clip of himself on Michael Graham's show. There was nothing of substance in it just himself ranting about the evil Republicans and using American terminology like sidewalk, trunk etc. It's kind of embarrassing really how intellectually inferior he is to Graham and I'm no Republican supporter.

ivan reveling in the news about cut backs in RTE .

kept telling them to try a 5 day week for a change and mooting getting rid of the orchestra and TG4 .

TBH i cant understand a WORD on TG4 but if it was up to me i'd sell RTE and keep that as at least they know how to do comedy in a teen drama there and actually fulfill the "public service broadcasting" remit.

as for the orchestra, thats a disgraceful thing to say.

they should get rid of the other FOUR first before getting shot of all of em !

ivan reveling in the news about cut backs in RTE .

kept telling them to try a 5 day week for a change and mooting getting rid of the orchestra and TG4 .

TBH i cant understand a WORD on TG4 but if it was up to me i'd sell RTE and keep that as at least they know how to do comedy in a teen drama there and actually fulfill the "public service broadcasting" remit.

as for the orchestra, thats a disgraceful thing to say.

they should get rid of the other FOUR first before getting shot of all of em !

Couldn't agree more. TG4 makes some of the best programs, their documentaries are top class, and it's generally a very watchable channel imho.

The anti-RTE shíte that's on Newstalk really gets old. Right, we get it, ye're competitors, but grow up. Like any one of them wouldn't trade their current job for a well paid RTE position.

Who was your man that Tom had on from Limerick? He was the guy that was on TLLS last Friday I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The anti-RTE shíte that's on Newstalk really gets old. Right, we get it, ye're competitors, but grow up. Like any one of them wouldn't trade their current job for a well paid RTE position.
    The most bitter ones are the ones that wouldn't be good enough. What's the list of current RTE staffers that are ex Newstalk? Conor Brophy, David Murphy, Hugh Cahill, Sinead Hussey off the top of my head. Probably more too.

Considering Yates himself had a nice sideline for years as a political commentator on RTE. Hook obviously has the rugby gig.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The most bitter ones are the ones that wouldn't be good enough. What's the list of current RTE staffers that are ex Newstalk? Conor Brophy, David Murphy, Hugh Cahill, Sinead Hussey off the top of my head. Probably more too.

Considering Yates himself had a nice sideline for years as a political commentator on RTE. Hook obviously has the rugby gig.

Claire Byrne I believe?

But yeah, as much as I don't like a lot of the people on RTE, people like Shane Coleman and the like on NT who you just know will be shouting about this from the roof tops aren't fit to lick the boots of most of the RTE lads in a broadcasting sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

So Shane Coleman is going to be replacing Ivan with Chris on Breakfast? Awful choice. Both are lightweights to put it mildly, and Coleman, who is always described as a political expert, is constantly giving incorrect information about all sorts of things on Newstalk. His coverage of Mahon was appalling and totally wrong in many cases.

Another person who is really annoying me is Mick Clifford. He seems to be on every single Current Affairs radio show in the country these days. He's the male Mary O'Rourke at this stage.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement