Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The breakfast show is really going to lose a lot of listeners if this mornings show is anything to go by:(

I honestly think if they let Chris on his own he'd do a better job. I was really impressed with him yesterday when he did the show on his own. When he's not being interrupted all the time he isn't as much of a non-entity as he was with Yates.

Shane Coleman complaining that if they stopped preparing for Communion in school that he'd have get up on Sunday to do it. Pr*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Shane Coleman complaining that if they stopped preparing for Communion in school that he'd have get up on Sunday to do it. Pr*ck.
    Might have been trying to be controversial ala Yates. The 5 minute discussion after the 7am news doesnt work with Chris & Shane. It just a rehash of what the newreader has just read out as neither of them has anything new, unique, different or controversial to add. Too PC to risk upsetting anyone.

When will they realise that more people will turn off from boredom than from taking offence at a point of view coherently argued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Argh I fúcking hate this kids talk section every week! :(

Chris has actually impressed me the past two mornings. Hope he can keep it up. Shane Coleman is already irritating me though.
    I think Chris is actually ok. He lacks gravitas. But maybe it'll come with age an experience. I felt he was dumped on by Yates, and I stopped listening a few months ago. I'd hold on to Christ as he'll grow into the role.

Have caught Coleman a few times. He's a smart arse, and seems to be an FF sneaking regarder.

McDave wrote: »
    I think Christ is actually ok. He lacks gravitas. But maybe it'll come with age an experience. I felt he was dumped on by Yates, and I stopped listening a few months ago. I'd hold on to Christ as he'll grow into the role.

Have caught Coleman a few times. He's a smart arse, and seems to be an FF sneaking regarder.

Damn, NT is going for a seriously high profile replacement to Yates! :pac: :pac:

That's the auto-correct for you! :pac:

Pity it doesn't work for Shame Coleman.

Or Ivan Grates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Really dissappointed with the way the Sunday Show from 11am - 1pm has gone since Dunphy was shafted. Very bland and anti digging into issues in a serious way. It's gone all happy clappy with presenter deliberately stopping guests getting into a robust exchange of views with each other. Dreadful Bland. Bland. Bland. Lite air head stuff going for a sterile middle of the road false consensus type vibe. Disgusting. Just listen to the drivel the Sunday before Easter Sunday to see what I mean. You could love or hate Dunphy but at least he put on an interesting show and facilitated a deeper discussion of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listening to the breakfast show still? I've tended not to and haven't heard the 9-10 slot at all really as without Yates spikey input its woefully dull now. BBC radio 4 to the rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nope, I haven't listened since apart from a few minutes this morning to catch the papers.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the breakfast show still? I've tended not to and haven't heard the 9-10 slot at all really as without Yates spikey input its woefully dull now. BBC radio 4 to the rescue.

Have had it on in the background all week. But to be honest, I couldn't tell you one topic they've talked about. The 9-10 slot is now a write off, whatever you may say about Yates, at least he brought some semblance of humour to the more light-hearted segments. Coleman and Donoghue can't match that imho.

I still say Chris has potential, and really think he'd do alright if he was given the show himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anyone know what's happened to Off The Ball? I tuned in at around 9.15 tonight and heard that smug twat Finn Davenport, instead of Ken Early and co. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Does anyone know what's happened to Off The Ball? I tuned in at around 9.15 tonight and heard that smug twat Finn Davenport, instead of Ken Early and co. :confused:

external broadcast from cork tonight, only on for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That Davenport fella really grinds my gears, comes across as a total asshole on air, loves the sound of his own voice and has an abrasive, smug style of handling guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Since Ivan has gone newstalk have lost the contract for me.
    Does anyone have a link to the Paul McGrath interview on good friday?.

Since Ivan has gone newstalk have lost the contract for me.
    Does anyone have a link to the Paul McGrath interview on good friday?.

You might be able to get it on the NT website in the listen back section. Best bet after that is the podcasts section, if it's not there then there's probably no link.

So now its Mick Clifford for breakfast. I think we need to start a collection to pay off Ivan's debts :eek:

GSF wrote: »
    So now its Mick Clifford for breakfast. I think we need to start a collection to pay off Ivan's debts :eek:

God that was awful. Had to turn off at 8 because it was so woeful. :(:(

And also.... TWO HOURS OF BOBBY KERR ON SUNDAY?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

God that was awful. Had to turn off at 8 because it was so woeful. :(:(

And also.... TWO HOURS OF BOBBY KERR ON SUNDAY?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bobby Kerr should not be let near a radio studio let alone given another hour

TWO HOURS OF BOBBY KERR ON SUNDAY?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The perfect cure for insomnia. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Did anybody else just hear Seán Moncrieff say 'f***ing sarcasm' at the end of today's OB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jagrey

davef1000 wrote: »
    Did anybody else just hear Seán Moncrieff say 'f***ing sarcasm' at the end of today's OB?

I sure did. No apology, so I presume he thought he was off mic. Not his first lapse either.

jagrey wrote: »
    I sure did. No apology, so I presume he thought he was off mic. Not his first lapse either.

Roughly what time was this?

(Don't worry, I'm not going sending a complaint over something I didn't hear a la Johnathan Ross listeners. :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jagrey

Roughly what time was this?

About 1625 just before the producer starts doing the "stuff to do tonight" slot.

Was anybody listening to George Hook today?? It was like listening to people on acid. His female guest was looking for a suction pump for a flange :confused:, and she also thought that all kids should be chased by men with sticks :confused::confused:. I'm pretty sure he introduced her as a doctor! :eek:

His Friday show is a total waste of time. You'd get more sense out of people at the end of a marathon feed of pints and whiskey. His Friday panel discussions always remind me of that Gerry Ryan radio sketch with the ould fellas in the pub talking complete and utter horse-sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah I did, I think it was actually quite good today more so than before when Shane Coleman is there.They should have her (Dr/journo Ciara Kelly) on regularly.She was shocked at alot of the things George came out with, as was I:D.

And she is easy on the eye too:D

His Friday show is a total waste of time. You'd get more sense out of people at the end of a marathon feed of pints and whiskey. His Friday panel discussions always remind me of that Gerry Ryan radio sketch with the ould fellas in the pub talking complete and utter horse-sh!t.

Dont agree,Thats the whole idea, its light-hearted.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Dont agree,Thats the whole idea, its light-hearted.

There's light-hearted and there's just plain silly. Hook's Friday show falls into the latter category IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I agree, its an utter waste of time.

Does anyone know do Newstalk have a 4 day week for some of their research staff?
    I assume lack of budget / staff is the reason why the friday show has no proper content.

jagrey wrote: »
    About 1625 just before the producer starts doing the "stuff to do tonight" slot.

Woah.... just listened back there... he'll definitely have a complaint upheld against him for that. TBH he sounded as though he'd had a few too many sips of wine during the show! :pac: And I doubt he thought he was off air, because the producer sounded as if she was in the room with them so even if his mic had been killed it would have been picked up anyway.

Very unprofessional in fairness, but I suppose if D'Arcy got away with telling the Rubberbandits to fúck off on air, Moncrieff can too.

And what he actually said for those that didn't hear was "She's slow with the fúcking sarcasm anyway!" referring to his producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

He knew he as on the mic :pac: Still, hilarious. Definitely too much wine for Shaun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Thank Jeebus, I thought I was hearing things when I heard Sean's F-off, glad to have it confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone on the Breakfast Show actually said "dramatify" this morning. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mike65 wrote: »
    Someone on the Breakfast Show actually said "dramatify" this morning. :(

Mr Chris....I suppose, if you like ....Donohoe, I presume?

He has been at this from his first day on with Yates. Employmentisation. Unsubstantiated Bonds!

And LOL at those posts predicting he will "grow into the job". He is getting worse if anything -a cringe inducing moment this morning there with Chris interviewing Niall Collins of FF on the water meters plan - Collins phone was ringing away in the background, took him 3 goes to silence it, each time mumbling "sorry bout this now". While he is struggling and failing to turn off the phone, Chris is going "no, you're grand" between the dead air.

Add in Mick Clifford and it would be no exaggeration I think to say transition year students could do a lot better.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    a cringe inducing moment this morning there with Chris interviewing Niall Collins of FF on the water meters plan - Collins phone was ringing away in the background, took him 3 goes to silence it, each time mumbling "sorry bout this now". While he is struggling and failing to turn off the phone, Chris is going "no, you're grand" between the dead air.

I LOL'd at that, Chris said at one point "No you're grand, it's probably just RTE..." :pac: :pac: :pac:

And Christ, how did Mick Clifford get that gig? Mother of divine suffering Jesus he's fooking terrible. Worse than Shane Coleman (as much as it pains me to say that...)

And Christ, how did Mick Clifford get that gig? Mother of divine suffering Jesus he's fooking terrible. Worse than Shane Coleman (as much as it pains me to say that...)
    Its to ensure that Coleman has a gig to return to. Never allow a better quality person to cover for you when you are off ;)

, how did Mick Clifford get that gig? QUOTE]

Mick, Shane Coleman and Noreen Hegarty - 3 prominent ex Tribune people now embedded in O'Brien controlled media. Agenda?

GSF wrote: »
    Its to ensure that Coleman has a gig to return to. Never allow a better quality person to cover for you when you are off ;)

Right so, some headache for Chris come the holiday season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

please God, make this interview with McGlynn and O'Kane go quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

please God, make this interview with McGlynn and O'Kane go quickly.

+1 but i feel trapped. If i switch over to radio1 its Catherine Thomas this week which is worse to me as i cant stand her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i had to bail to Lyric, having them two screeching in my ear started giving me images of being buried alive with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I wish Oisin Langan would start pronouncing words properly......the constant story about the boxing which was on "yesh-terday" is grating on me now.....

I wish Oisin Langan would start pronouncing words properly......the constant story about the boxing which was on "yesh-terday" is grating on me now.....

I doubt he will be making technique changes at this stage of his career.

What I notice about Ush is his pauses for dramatic effect in the middle of sentences ________ and then he picks up and runs straight into the next storey without pausing for where there should be a full stop on his script.

And he always winds up the bulletin by slowing right down

- on newstalk

one oh six

to

one

oh

eight

Mick Clifford calls him "Oh - Sheen" by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i've noticed that lately alright. is he having a bet with someone about how long he can speak with a dutch accent or what?!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I have to say as bad as Mick is, I'd still rather him than Shane.

pc7 wrote: »
    I have to say as bad as Mick is, I'd still rather him than Shane.

Either of them, on their very worst days, are better than Chris

Either of them, on their very worst days, are better than Chris

No way! I'd take Chris's complete lack of personality over Coleman or Clifford any day of the week. As I said, when Chris was left to his own devices on Bank Holiday Monday it was actually a pretty enjoyable show overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

, how did Mick Clifford get that gig? QUOTE]

Mick, Shane Coleman and Noreen Hegarty - 3 prominent ex Tribune people now embedded in O'Brien controlled media. Agenda?

I reckon it's simply because there are only so many media organisations/jobs to go around. There are so many media/journalism graduates out there who all want to be on the telly or radio.Most are not up to much and the paper industry is shrinking.We have had a media bubble as well in his country. I wouldn't say they are earning a whole lot in Newstalk either. The hold grail as always, is to get a job in RTE but they are cutting back there too.
    There's a lot of competition for places and there ain't a lot of qualiy ou there either.

i had to bail to Lyric, having them two screeching in my ear started giving me images of being buried alive with them.
    That's where I spend most of my breakfast time these days.

Chris isn't too bad. But he does need a more experienced co-presenter to lead the show (not Shane Coleman). He really can't carry the heavyweight end himself. Maybe in time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I take back what I said yesterday, Mick today has had a few howlers this morning, main one how there is a "chism" Im pretty sure he meant chasm. Chris on his own has to be better than with one of the dodgy duo.

I love the grandiose titles that people give themselves. Usually Gina Menzies is introduced as a theologist. Today she's a "medical ethicist". :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

good morning...

hadn't listened to the show in a week or two but had the misfortune this morning on the way into work, can somebody tell me please...who in bleedin gods name is that sliotar eating bog monkey they have on now instead of Ivan???? he is absolutely sh*te...awful, brutal. he can't even read the pre prepared scripts we're not supposed to know he has. alongside that snot nosed little git Donoghue you've got a serious mess of a show...horrible cringeworthy stuff. give me a Hector and Joe Duffy duo over these two clowns any day. pure muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

good morning...

hadn't listened to the show in a week or two but had the misfortune this morning on the way into work, can somebody tell me please...who in bleedin gods name is that sliotar eating bog monkey they have on now instead of Ivan???? he is absolutely sh*te...awful, brutal. he can't even read the pre prepared scripts we're not supposed to know he has. alongside that snot nosed little git Donoghue you've got a serious mess of a show...horrible cringeworthy stuff. give me a Hector and Joe Duffy duo over these two clowns any day. pure muck.

Thats Mick Clifford journalist.My impression is that he only tolerates Chris.I could see him bitching to his colleagues afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement