Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

jimmyw wrote: »
    Thats Mick Clifford journalist.My impression is that he only tolerates Chris.I could see him bitching to his colleagues afterwards.

So he's the "big-name" replacement for Yates? Jaysus, he's brutal. I won't be tuning in again till he's gone.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

el diablo wrote: »
    So he's the "big-name" replacement for Yates?

No, Shane Coleman is back on Monday. Interestingly, whenever Yates was away, Chris would say "it Chris O'Donoghue and "X", sitting in for Ivan" incessently throughout the show. But I've only heard him refer to Coleman once last week.

As for Mick Clifford, he's a good journalist and usually a very good contributor to whatever radio/tv show he pops up on. Who knows - he might grow into the role of a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Don't think ye are giving Clifford a fair shake of the stick here. Ivan wasn't great at the start either when he was with Clare Byrne.

I think his main problem is his thick bogger accent which is tough going first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The amount of bullshít that has been spewed on the Breakfast show about the water charges over the past week is biblical.

Think it was yesterday Chris read out a text along the lines of "Oh well, I'm in a group water scheme and the water is barely drinkable. You can be damn sure I won't be paying!" and Chris failed to point out that the minister had clearly stated those with their own wells or in group water schemes wouldn't have to pay.

And now this morning the panel were talking about it, and some gobshíte was on about how it was the government's responsibility to ensure water gets to every house, basically saying it should be done for free.

Jesus Christ, you'd swear we were the first country to introduce water charges the way they're acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The amount of bullshít that has been spewed on the Breakfast show about the water charges over the past week is biblical.

Think it was yesterday Chris read out a text along the lines of "Oh well, I'm in a group water scheme and the water is barely drinkable. You can be damn sure I won't be paying!" and Chris failed to point out that the minister had clearly stated those with their own wells or in group water schemes wouldn't have to pay.

And now this morning the panel were talking about it, and some gobshíte was on about how it was the government's responsibility to ensure water gets to every house, basically saying it should be done for free.

Jesus Christ, you'd swear we were the first country to introduce water charges the way they're acting.

its gone from householdchargeFM to waterchargeFM

although they did take a break one day during the week to dreadfully interview some poor guy from limerick whose house was raided by an armed gang. dreadful interview in which i dont think they even mentioned the gang was arrested afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Household/Water blanket coverage, your right this is fast becoming populist fm with little objective reporting.

bamboozle wrote: »
    its gone from householdchargeFM to waterchargeFM

although they did take a break one day during the week to dreadfully interview some poor guy from limerick whose house was raided by an armed gang. dreadful interview in which i dont think they even mentioned the gang was arrested afterwards.

What did you want? A live re-enactment?

There was nothing wrong with that interview. And they did mention that the gang were arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Amazing the downward impact of losing Yates & Kieberd (for all their faults, they at least had some substance to them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Is Kieberd gone? If so anyone know why?

Don't miss kieberd at all. Jonathan Healy is doing a fine job.

• Advertisement

I haven't been listening to the more political and CA side of Newstalk for very long, only really started last year or possibly the end of '10, after being mainly a Moncrief/Off the Ball/Talking History listener.

But even in that short space of time, there's been a clear deterioration in quality. The station is fast becoming, at best a station determined to be as populist as possible, at worst just a mouthpiece for Denis O'Brien's agenda.

The loss of Dunphy was really the major turning point for me (I suppose to a lesser extent [for me personally] Claire Byrne and Eamonn Keane as well). Now with Yates gone, I think I'll be using TuneIn.com a lot more often. About the only shows that I feel are worth my time now are maybe Tom Dunne (because I like him as a personality, not so much the show itself), Moncrieff and Off the Ball.

A real shame to see the station slipping further and further down this slope, it used to be such a good alternative to the dull monotone coverage on RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »

He is indeed, but I wish he'd stop mentioning Opera Lane in every sentence. As a listener, I really don't care where he is broadcasting from. Its annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lapin wrote: »
    He is indeed, but I wish he'd stop mentioning Opera Lane in every sentence. As a listener, I really don't care where he is broadcasting from. Its annoying.

I like when he mentions George Hook is doing the same too as if it adds anything to the quality of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wish they'd give him another half hour or hour for his show and chop some of Moncrief's show.
    Moncrief's is just that bit too long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Heroditas wrote: »
    I wish they'd give him another half hour or hour for his show and chop some of Moncrief's show.
    Moncrief's is just that bit too long.

I often wonder why Newstalk don't go head to head with Liveline around this time with some kind of phone in show?

Their brash outspoken style would be perfect competition for Joe Duffy, whose smug and staid approach has become off putting in recent years.

The have a 15 minute head start too, which would be an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I often wonder why Newstalk don't go head to head with Liveline around this time with some kind of phone in show?

Their brash outspoken style would be perfect competition for Joe Duffy, whose smug and staid approach has become off putting in recent years.

They tried a phone in show a few years back and failed badly, plus 4fm have a very decent show with David Harvey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

That would be some choice, Liveline or a brasher Liveline. I can't stand phone-ins, vox pops, kids talk or having the general public on air fullstop. The Moncrieff Show is infinity better. Leave him where he is.

EchoO wrote: »
    That would be some choice, Liveline or a brasher Liveline. I can't stand phone-ins, vox pops, kids talk or having the general public on air fullstop. The Moncrieff Show is infinity better. Leave him where he is.

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this! :) Kids Talk in particular is a segment that makes me reach straight for the dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well at least the kids talk more sense than the the jackass's up in the Dail:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

This morning in down to business, Bobby Kerr will have Jim Power as guest between 10 and 11am.
    Jim, the "chief economist with Friends First" will tell us where it all went wrong in this country and exactly what we need to do to get out the mess.!
    This is the same Jim who was the leading government cheerleader during the farce that was the "Celtic Tiger". Hardly a week went by that the "great" Jim did not appear on RTE's SixOne news urging people to "get on the ladder" When an emminent slowdown appeared the "informed" Jim assured everone we were only experiencing a "slowdown" and even coined the phrase "SOFT LANDING" which would ensue.
    My question is, how can this charleten still command airtime on TV and radio and is not challenged on his past by any commentator. This week alone he has appeared on Vincent Browne's show on TV3, Pat Kenny's morning radio show and now today on Down to Business. And these are just the ones i have watched/listened to.
    Hopefully Bobby Kerr will ask Jim the hard questions and expose him for the fraud that he is. (but we wont hold our breaths)
    Jim will also give his opinion on,above all things,Waterford hurling.!!!
    Bet Jim attended all of Waterford's games during the "boom"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Badabing wrote: »
    They tried a phone in show a few years back and failed badly, plus 4fm have a very decentracist show with David Harvey.

that's more like it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

washman3 wrote: »
    This morning in down to business, Bobby Kerr will have Jim Power as guest between 10 and 11am.
    Jim, the "chief economist with Friends First" will tell us where it all went wrong in this country and exactly what we need to do to get out the mess.!
    This is the same Jim who was the leading government cheerleader during the farce that was the "Celtic Tiger". Hardly a week went by that the "great" Jim did not appear on RTE's SixOne news urging people to "get on the ladder" When an emminent slowdown appeared the "informed" Jim assured everone we were only experiencing a "slowdown" and even coined the phrase "SOFT LANDING" which would ensue.
    My question is, how can this charleten still command airtime on TV and radio and is not challenged on his past by any commentator. This week alone he has appeared on Vincent Browne's show on TV3, Pat Kenny's morning radio show and now today on Down to Business. And these are just the ones i have watched/listened to.
    Hopefully Bobby Kerr will ask Jim the hard questions and expose him for the fraud that he is. (but we wont hold our breaths)
    Jim will also give his opinion on,above all things,Waterford hurling.!!!
    Bet Jim attended all of Waterford's games during the "boom"

Jim was hardly the worst of them was he though? I believe he has shown some contrition at least as well. Marc Coleman for example presents a show on Newstalk and he was and is firmly in la la land with regard to property prices in this country. He has also attempted to re-write the history of what he has said in the past and also his Wiki page.
    RTE regularly have 'Comical' Austin Hughes on the airwaves to give us the benefit of his 'expertise' and he was way worse than Jim Power. Brendan'fill yer boots with bank shares' Burgess still gets an outing and Brendan 'smart and ballsy' O'Connor has his own chat show as well as his newspaper column. So too does another Brendan, Keenan of the Independent who got embarassed on live TV by Morgan Kelly.Talking shyte hasn't affected any of these people's ability to get on air or retain their jobs.
    This is Ireland,none of these people are called out for being the bluffers they are. They all know each other and they all have an inherent belief that they know better than the great unwashed.Despite hard, recorded,evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

<Snip>
    Marc Coleman<snip>
    Austin Hughes <snip>
    Brendan'fill yer boots with bank shares' Burgess <sNip>
    Brendan 'smart and ballsy' O'Connor<snip>
    Brendan, Keenan <snip>

Talking shyte hasn't affected any of these people's ability to get on air or retain their jobs.
    This is Ireland,none of these people are called out for being the bluffers they are. They all know each other and they all have an inherent belief that they know better than the great unwashed.Despite hard, recorded,evidence to the contrary.
    Thanks Yosser, more names to go up on the dartboard with Jim and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

washman3 wrote: »
    This morning in down to business, Bobby Kerr will have Jim Power as guest between 10 and 11am.Jim, the "chief economist with Friends First" will tell us where it all went wrong in this country and exactly what we need to do to get out the mess.!

I often wonder exactly how bad you have to be at your job to get fired sometimes... Jim pocketed a lot of money for himself and Friends First by talking up housing to the detriment of a lot of ordinary people..

I often wonder exactly how bad you have to be at your job to get fired sometimes... Jim pocketed a lot of money for himself and Friends First by talking up housing to the detriment of a lot of ordinary people..
    Friends First never offered mortgages so if anything they lost money, because money went into property rather than other retirement planning products. By all means, the guy got things wrong, but hes not unique in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"their tethers, they're at the end of them" - his words, a lovely way with them, has Chris.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I actually turned breakfast off this morning, by 8.20 Shane had said "sleepwalking into the election" at least 30 times, it was driving me bonkers! I think he is trying to get a TM for the saying.

You would feel sorry for the poor bloke:p;).From around 39 min.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/191/sunday/2/popup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

"their tethers, they're at the end of them" - his words, a lovely way with them, has Chris.

after 8 this morning

'when you was talking to Gerry before 8' Chris Donoghue.

on the plus (but very unprofessional) side Chris did redeem himself by calling John Terry a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris and Shane will sink this slot for newstalk, mark my words.

Before, with Yates, the show worked the "insiders view" angle very well, for example at election time, or during the Fine Gael heave. Morning Ireland couldnt offer that.

Now, with its "unique selling point" gone, the show is just a very poor version of MI.

Why would anyone want to listen to Chris I suppose if you like Donoghue stumbling and mumbling over the same story that in 98% of cases will have been covered without all the mispronunciations and gaffes by MI 15 minutes earlier?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chris and Shane will sink this slot for newstalk, mark my words.

Before, with Yates, the show worked the "insiders view" angle very well, for example at election time, or during the Fine Gael heave. Morning Ireland couldnt offer that.

Now, with its "unique selling point" gone, the show is just a very poor version of MI.

Why would anyone want to listen to Chris I suppose if you like Donoghue stumbling and mumbling over the same story that in 98% of cases will have been covered without all the mispronunciations and gaffes by MI 15 minutes earlier?

wait til the first morning of Mick & Shane! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Well that's it . I'm swearing off newstalk .

I didn't think it was possible to find someone more biased than Steven Colins but shane Coleman has taken the biscuit on the lunchtime show in relation to the referendum.

RTE may be just as bad but at least they use cavaets . Shane just outright states his opinions are fact.

So its a boycott from me on any show he's on from now on as I don't want to be even tangentally responsible for keeping him on air.

Newstalk used to be a nice bit of fresh air but right now its basically gov fm.

Seeing as I'm already PAYING for that in RTE I may as well listen to their bull .

I cant believe its got to this but there ya go. No wonder so many presenters jumped ship

A couple of news reports today stated that Louis Le Brocquy who has just died was 75 years of age. He was 95, shoddy stuff from the newsroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

michael healy rae....

the texts in later should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have to say I was never a massive fan of the Chris Donoghue/Ivan Yates dynamic but I look back fondly on it compared to the adolescent crap Chris Donoghue has been coming out with since Ivan left.

It's now clear that Ivan was keeping a lid on Chris but now he has free reign it's embarrassing. I stopped listening yesterday and switched to RTE but man that's so stale it's unbelievable. The "agenda" items they try to interweave into the morning news and commentary is appalling.

I'd really like to identify a morning programme which deals 100% with news analysis and current affairs including business and sport. Full Stop.

Does such a programme exist between 7am and 9am which can be tuned into in the Dublin area on FM or DAB? I'm seriously thinking of using my TuneIn Pro subscription on my house PC to start listening online to the BBC :eek:

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you subscribe to stuff that's for free??

There's a record feature on the pro version. And its dirt cheap to upgrade anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I like the ability to record programs and listen back when it suits me (worth a few €) and I really like being able to have a list of global radio station presets all in one place/app which I can access via my PC, Tablet or Phone rather than lot's of stored links to different websites.

Just my preference.

Ben

Anyone else listening to this fool from Limerick wanting a new house for his 8 kids? He wants more children he says.

Oh, and guess what....he doesn't work. :mad::mad:

Anyone else listening to this fool from Limerick wanting a new house for his 8 kids? He wants more children he says.

wasnt there something similar on NewsTalk a few months back?

• Advertisement

GSF wrote: »
    wasnt there something similar on NewsTalk a few months back?

Most likely, Newstalk seems to take an angle on these stories whipping up the listeners into a texting frenzy. Chris doesn't help usually with his increasingly outspoken opinions on such matters, but in this case he was dead right in alluding to the fact he should stop having no children with no employment to speak of.

Good for listening figures, can't see Morning Ireland covering this story the same way. The reading out of outraged texts is the main reason I still listen to Newstalk since Ivan left, even though Coleman drives me mad...

Just remembered it was Monaghan man with 11 children annoyed at cut in child benefits last time

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/177089-man-11-children-complaining-about-child-benefit-cut-rte-radio-1-news-4.html

Although he was on RTE.

Maybe the 2 can start a club as between them they have 19 children and limited income, but want the rest of us to fund their breeding habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

was livid listening to that this morning. individuals like that should not be given airtime even if its to whip up a texting frenzy. its people like him that create the social welfare state and social unrest and scum bag areas.

Also Chris' interview with mary davis was dreadful and cheap trying to get her to talk about the presidential race when she was on to promote a worthwhile cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

A clear shift in direction this morning.

Shane was doing a monologue on yesterday's speach by Honahan - refers to the papers coverage - and then he goes to Chris "whats your view on frontloading budgetary adjustments?"

It was the greatest case of staged "banter" Ive heard in a long time. That would be bad enough but if Chris is now going to be built up as an authority figure with an opinion on these matters - scary what the producers think they have on their hands.

I know I'm playing into Newstalk's hands with my reaction but I'm glad I didn't hear that this morning because I think I would have tracked that man down and done something really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Most likely, Newstalk seems to take an angle on these stories whipping up the listeners into a texting frenzy.
    Of course - how often do they read out emails or tweets, which you can do for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

I know I'm playing into Newstalk's hands with my reaction but I'm glad I didn't hear that this morning because I think I would have tracked that man down and done something really stupid.

He's been getting a reaction over here too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615735&page=4

Along with the other publicity-seeking sponger whose campaign for a free bigger house is already back-firing spectacularly I'm happy to report.

Wonder if the do-gooders idiots who put these people up to such media-oriented whining campaigns think they're tapping into a well of sympathy from an already well fleeced and sick-of-it taxpayer?

If so, they've got it wrong in spades.

(Surprised Joe Duffy hasn't been contacted ........yet :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The breakfast show has gone to the dogs since Ivan left. I hardly listen anymore. I even found myself listening to Hector this morning for a few minutes.

The breakfast show has gone to the dogs since Ivan left. I hardly listen anymore. I even found myself listening to Hector this morning for a few minutes.

Marty Whelan, Hector, Shane Coleman. Reasons not to listen to Irish radio in the mornings.

I cant believe I actually listened to the Tom Dunne show this morning for most of it, even though I don't ever:eek:. That wan that won the competition for to be on the show was annoying, how stupid:rolleyes:.

I think Tom was acting the maggot by praising that clown with all the kids, imagine all the childrens allowance he is and will be getting if he has his way. You need to button it you selfish scrounger:mad:.

Then again maybe Tom was serious:rolleyes:

Anyway,I have booked an appointment with my shrink next week.:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement