Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

hacx wrote: »
    It was on Davenport after Dark, should be on podcast if you wanna check it out.

Bingo! Found it, cheers hacx.

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/62607/popup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This morning made me so sad.

Tom Dunne is so good when he interviews people from the music industry, this morning with Mundy and the guy from the Stunning was just awesome. Really makes me wish he would maybe do his old Pet Sounds show, maybe after Off the Ball one or two nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This morning made me so sad.

Tom Dunne is so good when he interviews people from the music industry, this morning with Mundy and the guy from the Stunning was just awesome. Really makes me wish he would maybe do his old Pet Sounds show, maybe after Off the Ball one or two nights a week.

Yeah It was a good interview, the radio song writing competition they're going to run with Dunne sounds interesting.

In regards to Tom going back to doing Pet Sounds I'd love it if he just moved back over to Today fm full time and picked up where he left off. As the dismal ratings suggest his morning talkshow experiment hasn't worked.

Yeah It was a good interview, the radio song writing competition they're going to run with Dunne sounds interesting.

In regards to Tom going back to doing Pet Sounds I'd love it if he just moved back over to Today fm full time and picked up where he left off. As the dismal ratings suggest his morning talkshow experiment hasn't worked.

Problem with going back to Today FM is that Paul McLoone's in his old slot now doing a pretty good job, and they're not going to move KC. The only spot he could possibly get would be after 12midnight, and I doubt he'd take that.

Not really up to date with what Newstalk have after Off the Ball these days, but they used to have a repeat of Talking History on Tuesday, which could be replaced with Dunne, replace Splanc on Friday with Dunne, and replace Dunne on Sunday with Splanc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I don't really listen to the breakfast show much since Ivan left but I happened to listen to a fair bit of it this morning. Well, it's still crap. I can't see Chris and Shane lasting to much longer, the ratings must be on the floor at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I don't really listen to the breakfast show much since Ivan left but I happened to listen to a fair bit of it this morning. Well, it's still crap. I can't see Chris and Shane lasting to much longer, the ratings must be on the floor at this stage.

totally with ye on this...turned it on for about 2 minutes and caught some exchange between chris and Shane about chris having some kind of lucky underpants, think shane was trying some Ivan-esque piss take on Chris....horrible listening. it's marginally better than that sliotar eating bog monkey they had on a few weeks ago but still shocking stuff, not even shocking radio, just really painful to listen to whether on or off air.

I'd say the ministers are queuing up to be interviewed by either of those two clowns, walk all over them and come out shining and squeaky clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris interviewing Stephen Roche this morning was pathetic

He was there clapping himself on the back for "asking the hard question" about drugs in cycling. What he actually stuttered out was more like: "did you ever, you know, did you, nudge nudge wink wink?"

No real reasearch on the subject, just tabloid like their aproach to everything - Roche himself had to bring up Paul Kimmage's work.

Actually (open to correction here though) I think a mini scoop may have gone straight over Chris' head when Roche appeared to soften his atitude to Kimmage and give him some credit. Ive never heard SR speak in those terms before.

Caught a bit of the breakfast show on the repeats as I was lying in bed on Saturday night... jaysus, Chris seems to have regressed if anything since Ivan left. He really came across as up his own hole, thinking he's a better broadcaster now just because he's the lead host.

I honestly don't think I'll be listening in anymore. Think it'll have to be ...... *shudder*... local radio.... from now on...

I've gone back to Morning Ireland in the last few weeks, something which I thought I'd never do.

The loss of Ivan is the sole reason for my decision, I felt he and Chris's partnership really grew strongly over their time together. Now that Ivan is gone Chris seems to be regressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I haven't listened to it for more than a few minutes since Yates left. The next ratings will be a disaster for NT I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Turned Morning Ireland on last Monday. As soon as I realised Claire Byrne was presenting it I dived to switch over to Newstalk, remembered it was Chris and Shane these days - turned the radio off.

Luckily there is always BBC Radio 4 and 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And does Conor Pope do EVERYTHING the Government tell him? You bought the house Conor, not the Government...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

And does Conor Pope do EVERYTHING the Government tell him? You bought the house Conor, not the Government...

The Government of the day was not entirely blameless either. Insisting that for the first time in history a massive porperty bubble was going to end in a "soft landing". A property bubble they helped to create by giving tax breaks to their Galway tent mates. Allowing the construction sector to become, an unsustainable, 1/5 of the economy. Buying the 2007 election with an 11% increase in public spending, which further overheated the economy and ensured the recession was far worse than it otherwise would been. The job losses and reductions in income that have caused the majority of mortgage arrears can be linked directly back to that Government making a complete mess of the economy.

Someone's double-jobbing in Marconi House... These past two mornings Tom Dunne and Ray D'Arcy have used the same question for their competitions. :P

Enjoyed Dunne's interview with Marian Finucane this morning, would've been nice if they'd given her a little more time, and the question about her salary at the end seemed a little pointless, but other than that I thought twas great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone hear pat mcdonagh from supermacs on this morning.....

Typical fg/ff style know it all, He was spouting the usual crap and then appeared to get caught out by the newstalk team, when he blamed irelands woes on them pesky eastern europeans coming over and taking all our dole!!!
    Fair play to the presenter taking him to task straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How many months/years till Ivan returns to sort out the morning show?

How many months/years till Ivan returns to sort out the morning show?

However long it is is too long....

Twould nearly be worth DOB's money to just pay off all Ivan's debts, can't see many companies willing to pay top advertising money for the breakfast show in its current state....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Chris: It's about to hit 5 to 8 and it'll soon be time for the nooos:rolleyes:

The sports guy every time: before I let you go:rolleyes:

That Mick Clifford accent is grating too. Hope his book sells....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was listening to the lunchtime show the other day and Shane was on it and the lunchtime presenter said Shane is covering or standing in on the breakfast show. I'm hoping that means Ivan will be back soon. Really miss him in the morning. :(

pc7 wrote: »
    I was listening to the lunchtime show the other day and Shane was on it and the lunchtime presenter said Shane is covering or standing in on the breakfast show. I'm hoping that means Ivan will be back soon. Really miss him in the morning. :(

Id say he would be looking at a solo drivetime slot (replace Hook??) and/or TV when he returns.

Definitely wont be going back to babysitting Chris anyway.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Id say he would be looking at a solo drivetime slot (replace Hook??) and/or TV when he returns.

Definitely wont be going back to babysitting Chris anyway.

Yeah I'd like him to take the drivetime slot. Hooks in his 70s at this stage so hopefully he has retirement on his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The Brits need to further reduce the time necessary for bankruptcy proceedings so that we can get Ivan back quicker. Chris and Shane have the combined personality of a wet towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did sile seoige's trail really say that she's going to be speaking to the most inspirational person simon cowell has ever met??
    what a dismal intro!

God I wish somebody would hit that James lad a slap in the mouth...

• Advertisement

God I wish somebody would hit that James lad a slap in the mouth...

I know, what an opinionated loudmouth! No wonder Pat Kenny told him to get a life.

The Movies and Booze today on Mocrief was great, had me laughing away. :) So glad I have the time to listen to him show again, by far the best show on NT at the moment, with the possible exception of OTB.

Why is Hook CONSTANTLY doing OB's? Is a pub really the most appropriate place for a debate on the treaty? Seriously, it's hard to take any point raised seriously when you've got all that background music, not to mention every time he had a caller on you could hear the speakers in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Why is Hook CONSTANTLY doing OB's? Is a pub really the ost appropriate place for a debate on the treaty?

good point. 'cos he's always complaining about foreign leaders like Obama and the Queen being photographed with a pint in their hand when they visit Ireland. Maybe the English Market in Cork told him to leave them alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I don't know why Shane Coleman is the "stand in" on the breakfast show.Surely by now Newstalk should have been able to line up a permanent co presenter after Ivan went.

By the way, Ivan is gone for good, not temporary so wont be back.I do listen to Hooky and I find him alright, but if Ivan was to replace him hypothetically, I think it would be a good move, but I cant see that happening.

jimmyw wrote: »
    I don't know why Shane Coleman is the "stand in" on the breakfast show.Surely by now Newstalk should have been able to line up a permanent co presenter after Ivan went.

By the way, Ivan is gone for good, not temporary so wont be back.I do listen to Hooky and I find him alright, but if Ivan was to replace him hypothetically, I think it would be a good move, but I cant see that happening.

I don't see that it would actually be that good a move to be honest. The few times Ivan did the Sunday show alone after Dunphy left, and any time he was alone on the breakfast show he wasn't great. I know we all used to slag the partnership off, but the dynamic between him and Chris worked.

Are ye sure that by saying Shane is standing in on the Breakfast that they didn't mean that he was standing in for Chris who's on holiday at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I don't see that it would actually be that good a move to be honest. The few times Ivan did the Sunday show alone after Dunphy left, and any time he was alone on the breakfast show he wasn't great. I know we all used to slag the partnership off, but the dynamic between him and Chris worked.

Are ye sure that by saying Shane is standing in on the Breakfast that they didn't mean that he was standing in for Chris who's on holiday at the moment?

No, sure the two of them have been together all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

I caught the end of Rodney King talking about being beaten up by LA cops today. It seemed strange for Henry McKean but looks like he's been bumped for a new world news show. I've tried to listen back on the website but there is no mention of it??

Was it Fergus Finlay on the Sunday show today?

Only caught the interview with Mary Lou McDonald and thought it was nice for once to have a civil interview with an SF member on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

Nope it was a female presenter and was called world in motion.

Was it Fergus Finlay on the Sunday show today?

Yep, the country's favourite Spin Doctor Turned Bleeding Heart ... Cant stand the man... But at least he's not President..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

The female broadcaster this morning was Shona Murray I think, who often reports from Brussels.

Although I like Shane and feel motherly towards Chris, I really, really miss Ivan in the mornings...I always felt he had an inside track on everything although he could be a mysoginistic so and so too (I think that was a wind up for people like me ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wheres Tom Dunne got to. He's not on the radio or Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Had the misfortune to catch some of "Shenanigans with Sile" at the weekend. I lost count of the number of "lookits".

The misery was somewhat relieved by the male contestant in the Alphabet Quiz who referred to our host as "Grainne" all the way through his allotted 5 minutes.

Had the misfortune to catch some of "Shenanigans with Sile" at the weekend. I lost count of the number of "lookits".

The misery was somewhat relieved by the male contestant in the Alphabet Quiz who referred to our host as "Grainne" all the way through his allotted 5 minutes.

Can't bear the woman.I'd rather listen to Turbridy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

yes I started to lose interest when Orla Barry started to dumb down her show and finally tuned out when Tom Dunne's show came on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

I thought Father Mick Cleary was back on the radio last night at 10pm. Turned out to be Marc Coleman. Evils of abortion, most child abuse not carried out by priests, Fine Gael letting down its core Catholic vote blah, blah, blah............

Chris Donoghue must have pictures of Denis O'Brien hidden somewhere because there can be no other explanation for his continuing pressence on national radio.

His word of the day this morning - "prescribing", as in people prescribing to a viewpoint.

There was the unintentional comedy also - "yesterday we heard a vote for yes is a vote for fear, a vote for no is a vote for hope. Pearse Doherty, no hope??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

really annoying nordie with a guitar, her effort sounded like the Heimlich maneuver put to song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Is Tom Dunne on holidays this week or sick?
    Don't really mind tbh, Des Bishop (as much as I dont like him) is doing a great job on Tom's show.

Newstalk should give him a slot during the week for himself for chat. Nice voice on the radio.

Is Tom Dunne on holidays this week or sick?
    Don't really mind tbh, Des Bishop (as much as I dont like him) is doing a great job on Tom's show.

Newstalk should give him a slot during the week for himself for chat. Nice voice on the radio.

They are great for finding talent in fairness.Dropped the ball with Sile Seoige do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did anyone else hear the news reader this morning saying someone was being transported to "The Beaumont"? instead of Beaumont Hospital? Its a new one on me, I turned over then, can't hack the show in the mornings without Ivan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pc7 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear the news reader this morning saying someone was being transported to "The Beaumont"? instead of Beaumont Hospital? Its a new one on me, I turned over then, can't hack the show in the mornings without Ivan :(
    tough crowd!!

The sibilance from the gob of Shane Coleman this morning was quite something - he was saying something that had a freakily large number of "th" and "s" sounds I thought I was listening to an mic/audio test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

kneemos wrote: »
    They are great for finding talent in fairness.Dropped the ball with Sile Seoige do.

Yeah couldnt listen to her when she was fillin in for Tom last year, terrible tripe so she is. Does she have ratings on her 'saturday morning' show?

Des does be funny this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The Brits need to further reduce the time necessary for bankruptcy proceedings so that we can get Ivan back quicker. Chris and Shane have the combined personality of a wet towel.

Agreed, Ivan is badly missed. Shane Coleman is, in my opinion, a government mouthpiece and never goes against the party line. Chris occasionally strays but ultimately goes back into line. Ivan told it like it is, even if you disagreed with him, he was forthright and clear in his opinions.

Ive found myself straying back to RTE1 in recent days on the drive to work.... that's never a good sign...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement