Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Des is a breath of fresh air in the mornings compared to Tom Dunnezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I hope the hirers and firers at newstalk are reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Never was a big fan of Des Bishop as a comedian, but really liking his radio show this week.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mikom wrote: »
    Des is a breath of fresh air in the mornings compared to Tom Dunnezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I hope the hirers and firers at newstalk are reading this thread.

Subtle sense of humour has Tom. Big fan i must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Anyone know who is on for the Euro 2012 thing tonight and who is hosting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

pc7 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear the news reader this morning saying someone was being transported to "The Beaumont"? instead of Beaumont Hospital? Its a new one on me, I turned over then, can't hack the show in the mornings without Ivan :(

I always call it The Beaumont... unless I'm specifically saying Beaumont Hospital...

Really enjoying Des Bishop this week, still prefer Dunne, but would gladly listen to Des instead of Sile Seoige at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Did I hear Shane right this morning first thing when he was comparing previous treaties and said in Nice 2 that "we" won 63-37 instead of the Yes side?? Ha, sittin on the fence there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Lads, I have no idea why you want Ivan back. He was a poor attempt at a shock jock. His "rants" were childish and pathetic, as was his usual crap whenever football was discussed.

DB21 wrote: »
    Lads, I have no idea why you want Ivan back. He was a poor attempt at a shock jock. His "rants" were childish and pathetic, as was his usual crap whenever football was discussed.

Well he's better than what we have right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Had the misfortune to catch some of "Shenanigans with Sile" at the weekend. I lost count of the number of "lookits".

Ever heard Damien 'lookit' O'Reilly standing in on Liveline?

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I enjoyed the discussion between these two heavyweights :D. Always do:).

WARNING! Some bad language.

From 26 min

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/thursday/2/popup

:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Anyone else hear Tara Duggan in both the 12 and 12:30 news tell us how the UN are worried about impoverished explosive devices??? :D

Rovi wrote: »
    Anyone else hear Tara Duggan in both the 12 and 12:30 news tell us how the UN are worried about impoverished explosive devices??? :D

Times are tough for everyone.

Rovi wrote: »

Because cheap explosives aren't as good as expensive explosives. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ciara McDonagh is doing a decent stand in job for the lunchtime show

I really like it when she's on. Would be a far better presenter to have on than Sile Seoige imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

She's not bad but her voice is all wrong. Too squeaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

I used to like newstalk - but they really need presenters who can actually speak english.
    Ian ffs learn how to pronounce "th". A thousand is not a towsend.
    Thirty three is not turty tree. You deal in numbers learn how to say them!!! Jeeze! Oh and the Aoife from Axa advert too... christ - she also needs to learn how to speak. Turty fisst - i presume she means thirty first? Or the latest advert tityit - i guess means the thirtieth. Newstalk = Shi+*talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Its amazing how many people with perfect diction, cultured accent and educated vocabulary hang out on boards. I'm ashamed to say that it is plain, base, common, things such as the increasingly lightweight content, amateur analysis and second rate contributors that annoys me about Newstalk. But then again I'm just a plain, base, common, bogger Irish lad who probably should hang my head in shame in the company of the vocal gods that cut straight to the heart of the issue and worry about far more important flaws of the presenters. I can but dream that one day I will be graced to hear what must be the flawless, nay godlike, tones of damienirel, White Horse, Rovi, Yamanoto, barneygrumble, pc7 (and that's just the last page). Perhaps one day they will combine to set up their own radio station or would such a coming together of perfection risk the collapse of the universe which will consider its purpose for existence now complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Claradon

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Dumbing down must be applauded at every turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

touts wrote: »
    Its amazing how many people with perfect diction, cultured accent and educated vocabulary hang out on boards. I'm ashamed to say that it is plain, base, common, things such as the increasingly lightweight content, amateur analysis and second rate contributors that annoys me about Newstalk. But then again I'm just a plain, base, common, bogger Irish lad who probably should hang my head in shame in the company of the vocal gods that cut straight to the heart of the issue and worry about far more important flaws of the presenters. I can but dream that one day I will be graced to hear what must be the flawless, nay godlike, tones of damienirel, White Horse, Rovi, Yamanoto, barneygrumble, pc7 (and that's just the last page). Perhaps one day they will combine to set up their own radio station or would such a coming together of perfection risk the collapse of the universe which will consider its purpose for existence now complete?

No one should employ, for public speaking, someone who can hardly speak proper.

Those here who are consumers not providers can comment without a charge of hypocrisy being levelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I am going to have to reply to this, partly because I find the 'th' thing annoying, but mainly because your argument is essentially to be sarcastic about your perceptions of the people who find it objectionable.

Firstly you imply that the people who object to poor diction are somehow oblivious to the other shortcomings with the stations output. The 'th' thing sounds terrible to me each and every time I hear it, but I also agree with the point you make about the station and I am sure its also the case for other 'th' objectors.

Secondly you imply that the people raising this issue are probably living in glasshouses and should not be throwing stones i.e. you can't be critical of the shortcoming of a radio presenter unless you yourself are a better radio presenter, this is an idiotic argument. A football fan can complain about a professional player taking a foul throw. Its a rookie mistake and easy to avoid as is the inability of a professional radio presenter to pronounce a particular syllable.

We often hear adverts for the power of radio and its ability to create pictures in our minds. When Ian talks about 'profits at Tesco falling by a turd' this is what you probably see:
    graph-down.jpg

This is what I see:
    32719-Cartoon_Poop.cartoon+poop.jpg

The responsibility for proper communication rests with the presenter it should not be up to the listener to figure out what the are saying.

The real question is why are they cutting short an informative and interesting news program to talk about bleedin football

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I am going to have to reply to this, partly because I find the 'th' thing annoying, but mainly because your argument is essentially to be sarcastic about your perceptions of the people who find it objectionable.

Firstly you imply that the people who object to poor diction are somehow oblivious to the other shortcomings with the stations output. The 'th' thing sounds terrible to me each and every time I hear it, but I also agree with the point you make about the station and I am sure its also the case for other 'th' objectors.

Secondly you imply that the people raising this issue are probably living in glasshouses and should not be throwing stones i.e. you can't be critical of the shortcoming of a radio presenter unless you yourself are a better radio presenter, this is an idiotic argument. A football fan can complain about a professional player taking a foul throw. Its a rookie mistake and easy to avoid as is the inability of a professional radio presenter to pronounce a particular syllable.

We often hear adverts for the power of radio and its ability to create pictures in our minds. We when Ian talks about 'profits at Tesco falling by a turd' this is what you probably see:
    graph-down.jpg

This is what I see:
    32719-Cartoon_Poop.cartoon+poop.jpg

The responsibility for proper communication rests with the presenter it should not be up to the listener to figure out what the are saying.

Agreed! Well put!

touts - I kinda/sort of get your argument but you are wrong -
    "let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!"
    However - I have not sinned - I'm not on a national radio station speaking to the public everyday.

On the other hand -there are plently of radio station out there that don't employ Ian Guider - I guess I can switch over to them when he's on. I actually admire the station for it's content but his abuse of the english language is a pet hate of mine. And it looks like I'm not the only one.
    Just don't get how he's not pulled up on such a fundamental flaw for a radio station presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The problem I have with this thread is that it has descended into little more than personal attacks on the presenters. It is like listening to a bunch of children bullying one of their number for his accent or a speech impediment and then they get all offended and upset when they are called on it.

Newstalk has serious issues (declining analysis, second rate contributors, clear O'Brien influence on discussions) but I find the increasing number of personal attacks to be petty and annoying.

The problem I have with this thread is that it has descended into little more than personal attacks on the presenters. It is like listening to a bunch of children bullying one of their number for his accent or a speech impediment and then they get all offended and upset when they are called on it.

Newstalk has serious issues (declining analysis, second rate contributors, clear O'Brien influence on discussions) but I find the increasing number of personal attacks to be petty and annoying.

The problem I have with this thread is that it has descended into little more than personal attacks on the posters...;) ..not really,
    But to be fair you did not address people objections to the 'th' thing rather you hit us with as much sarcasm as you could muster. If you want to discuss the declining quality of the station's output start a discussion on it, I will join in. The thing with the 'th's is if you don't hear it yourself it does appear petty but if you do heart it, its like listening to a piano with a key which always plays a bum note, it distracts from the tune.

If the picture of the turd seemed sarky it wasn't, that's what I hear. Imagine instead if Ian said 'profits at tesco are down one sh!t on this time last year' then you might understand a bit better.

- "declining analysis" - in who's opinion?

- "second rate contributors" - in who's opinion? again i think that would be yours

-"O'Brien influence" (describe that in detail please? - The lack of Dunphy on it?) And if you mean it's ever so slightly right of center views,
    FFS- talk about missing the point! That's the sole reason for listening to it.

"Personal Attack" - Are you for real? Sue me!!!
    I've only discussed the poor english being used by a public domain broadcaster - as far as I know he wasn't born with the "can't pronounce 'th' disability - or a lorry didn't hit him in the mouth (I even forget his name, thats how bloody personal the attack was) Get a grip on yourself.
    Again you're showing your ignorance jumping on a PC bandwagon that doesn't even exist.

You've already received enough criticisms on your earlier commentary that if you had any grey matter between your ears, you would've realized you were wrong a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

There is the world of difference between regional accents (from Ian Guider to Emma McNamara) and basic inability to convey meaning - I am referring to Chris Donoghue specifically here.

Yes, the th thing and some of the accents grate on the ear, but I dont agree with the rush to judge all of these cases as worthless broadcasters.

Chris D goes way beyond this imho. He isnt so much mispronouncing his words as making them up . I just think it reflects very very badly on what is supposed to be a serious national station to put a guy like that out there representing its brand on a flagship show.

• Advertisement

I don't get the criticism of Ian Guider's accent tbh. So what if he says "towsand" or "turty tree", is his meaning any less clear because of this? It's just an accent, which imho is a non-issue unless you can't understand what he means.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't get the criticism of Ian Guider's accent tbh. So what if he says "towsand" or "turty tree", is his meaning any less clear because of this? It's just an accent, which imho is a non-issue unless you can't understand what he means.

If it doesn't bother you good for you... Sincerely. But don't dismiss those it bugs just because you fail to be bothered by it. As I said imagine him saying faeces every time he meant to say 3. That is genuinely what it's like. We are not cranks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Guider knows his stuff, but I find him almost impossible to listen to. It has nothing to do with his accent, it's his voice. He just doesn't have a good voice for radio. He always sounds like he is extremely stressed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

EchoO wrote: »
    Guider knows his stuff, but I find him almost impossible to listen to. It has nothing to do with his accent, it's his voice. He just doesn't have a good voice for radio. He always sounds like he is extremely stressed out.

I think he sounds a bit more relaxed since Ivan left, not sure why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Being unable to pronounce "th" words has nothing to do with accents. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

lempsipmax wrote: »
    If it doesn't bother you good for you... Sincerely. But don't dismiss those it bugs just because you fail to be bothered by it. As I said imagine him saying faeces every time he meant to say 3. That is genuinely what it's like. We are not cranks....

I'm not dismissing it, I just don't understand why it's such an issue. I find him to be one of the better finance guys they have on these days, always comes across as if he knows his stuff, so I just don't get why something as minor as his pronunciation of words would get people so irritated..
    el diablo wrote: »
    Being unable to pronounce "th" words has nothing to do with accents. :confused:

Whatever. You know well what I mean though.

• Advertisement

Some posters think mispronouncing 'th' is acceptable, fair enough. I'll have to accept that some people are just not worthy/wordy....

Here are a few funny examples of where the 'th' can cause confusion:
    I loathe/load guns.
    I have not been able to stay of the beer for any length/lent.
    The tiny barber found it hard to work up a lather/ladder when shaving customers.
    Save me from my faith/fate.
    Death/debt is the biggest problem facing people in Ireland today.
    There was a huge bath/bat in the hotel room.
    This recipe requires a lot of time thyme/time.
    Doctor my thumb/tum is swollen.
    Thrust/Trust in me.
    Have you seem my thongs/tongs.
    Lets share! One third/turd each.
    You always have lovely thighs/ties.
    We walked in groups of threes/trees.
    I'll have chips and musy peas with the fish thanks/tanks.
    What with/wit?
    The yacht or the boat? Both/Boat.
    God told Moses to come fourth/fort.
    I will not let an oath/oat pass my lips.
    We shared a booth/boot in Eddie Rockets.
    Wipe that blood up with a cloth/clot.
    I have to have fitted sheaths/sheets or I can't sleep.
    Breastfeeding is a real pain, its the teeth/teat.
    As a book-keeper for Carpet World I am great at maths/mats.
    When I was a teacher I thought/taught that kids were a real pain in the ass!

Anyway that's the last I have to say on the matter and before I get banned for being off topic here is an article about Chris Donohuge from the Examiner:
    "I’m only contracted ‘til August," he says. "But I don’t feel any dread about that. Hopefully it will all come good but, like I said, if it doesn’t, it’s not the end of the world."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

RTÉ reporters are just as bad (if not worse). I recently heard them discussing economic "grote" on the 6pm news. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Missed off the ball last night, so downloaded the Wednesday Night "Rugby" podcast. Consisted on Shane Horgan being interviewed about the football, with passing reference to the New Zealand game. Can we look forward to Rugby with Giles during the 6 nations? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

as a long time critique of Donoghue's i enjoyed him tormenting some public service trade union fella geraghty this morning.

This is ireland not the posh end of london in the accent department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nice to hear that Chris is a Griffith alumni, I wasn't aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kneemos wrote: »
    This is ireland not the posh end of london in the accent department.

Why is clear diction being equated with posh end of London (BBC you mean?)
    speaking like a mountainy farmer is not something to aspire to in media.

Speaking like a "mountainy farmer" is as legitimate as any other.Your presuming your way of speaking is the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

So long as you understand what they're saying it's grand, really.

hacx wrote: »
    So long as you understand what they're saying it's grand, really.

I agree an accent adds a bit of charactor, particularly on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

98FM advertising on Newstalk now?

98FM advertising on Newstalk now?

Can' refuse by law. Competition rules or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

kneemos wrote: »
    Can' refuse by law. Competition rules or some such.

Eh, the opposite of competition more like - 98FM and Newstalk both being O'Brien owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

bamboozle wrote: »
    as a long time critique of Donoghue's i enjoyed him tormenting some public service trade union fella geraghty this morning.

Doesn't make him a decent broadcaster.

The right-wing twerp hates trade unions and public-sector workers.
    On the very rare occasion that their spokespersons are on Newstalk, instead of interviewing them and allowing them to make their case, and giving listeners an opportunity to hear their point of view, he just gives an infantile display of ignorance, rudeness and bias.

So much for 'journalism' on Newstalk.

Anyone think Ciara McDonagh (pretty sure that's her name) would be a good person to try out on the breakfast show? Really enjoying her on Lunchtime this week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement