Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Anyone catch the name of that song Tom Dunne played this morning after his laments over the football?

Something along the lines of "30 miles from home" in the chorus?
    Sorry, I know it's not much to go on (I was only half-listening while working) :o

Nevermind mind, found it. "It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not a child of the 70/80s ?

Edit, didn't realise you found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Enjoyed Luka on Tom Dunne's show this morning. Great performance. I've said it before, (and I'll say it again and again no doubt) Dunne really shines when he's talking about music with someone.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not a child of the 70/80s ?

Edit, didn't realise you found it.

Thanks for the link. Yes very much a child of the 70s/80s. Haven't heard this song since I was around 12 back in 1986! Made my day finding this gem. :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Enjoyed Luka on Tom Dunne's show this morning. Great performance. I've said it before, (and I'll say it again and again no doubt) Dunne really shines when he's talking about music with someone.

He has great rapport with band members. Contrast with Pat Kennys' embarrassing attempts to fein interest with that breathless delivery of platitudes to yet another dreary band no-one ever heard of!

Dunne also seemed genuinely impressed with the standard of entries to the singer-songwriter competition in terms of production and composition. I still miss the days of a hissy C90 demo tape hot from a Tascam all the same :)

Have to say Tom Dunne + Sean Moncrief are breath of fresh air compared to the miserable politics/economics elsewhere on the radio dial.

Has anyone listened to Dunne's weekend music show?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Could Phillip Molloy's delivery on the Movie Show be any more stacatto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talked about that before, he's just fine when chatting with a guest but reading a sheet of script is beyond him right now. He hasn't worked out the "conversation with the listener"
    thing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Getting a bit tired of Moncrieff. I find he can be quite condescending and arrogant at times and it turns me right off listening to him.

Getting a bit tired of Moncrieff. I find he can be quite condescending and arrogant at times and it turns me right off listening to him.

I find sometimes when he's really sarcastic and condescending to the texters it's great radio. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

His show is far too long.
    I used to like him but he acts a complete prat sometimes and, like yourself, I really don't have much interest in his show anymore.
    He doesn't even pretend to show he's interested in the topics sometimes and is downright rude to his guests in those instances.
    I'm just waiting for someone to say "ah why don't you shove this interview up your arse" :pac:

Heroditas wrote: »
    His show is far too long.
    I used to like him but he acts a complete prat sometimes and, like yourself, I really don't have much interest in his show anymore.
    He doesn't even pretend to show he's interested in the topics sometimes and is downright rude to his guests in those instances.
    I'm just waiting for someone to say "ah why don't you shove this interview up your arse" :pac:

While I still enjoy the show greatly, I agree with the bolded point. During the week he had the Editor of History Ireland magazine on talking about the history of Sweden and Denmark and that sort of stuff, something I found really interesting, yet he barely contributed to the interview at all, just kinda let your man ramble on, and when he did say something he sounded as if he was thoroughly bored by the piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Moncrief is a major talent and extremly smart, not surprised he gets bored.I agree he can be condecending with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

kneemos wrote: »
    Moncrief is a major talent and extremly smart, not surprised he gets bored.I agree he can be condecending with some people.

Probably the only genuine talent on Newstalk, but for sure a condescending liberal prat, especially when discussing the foilbles of Third World countries with that Euro-love bunny, andrea pappin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris this morning: "a loada gud reads" in the papers today

And Billy Connollys wife Pamela Stephenson is a "psycho-ologist"

This is not an accent or pronuniciation tic he has, he just hasnt got the vocabulary for talk broadcasting

Soft lilting irish voice one of the more pleasant on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

[Quote=delaad;79339180that Euro-love bunny, andrea pappin.[/Quote]

Where did she spring from and why do they keep having her on?
    They must be attempting to shoehorn her in somewhere.
    Another of the "Twitterati"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Is anyone else sick of the amount of Americans on the Moncrief show every day? Another eejit on just there now who thinks BigFoot is real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MJ23 wrote: »
    Is anyone else sick of the amount of Americans on the Moncrief show every day? Another eejit on just there now who thinks BigFoot is real.

Get it right, he thinks big foot is an extra terrestrial !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chris this morning: "a loada gud reads" in the papers today

And Billy Connollys wife Pamela Stephenson is a "psycho-ologist"

This is not an accent or pronuniciation tic he has, he just hasnt got the vocabulary for talk broadcasting
    I cant listen to him anymore, my staffordshire bull terrier can put together a sentence better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Chris is too formal/clinical. For instance he says "Its good to speak to you".A better less formal word might be "Talk"instead of "speak".Trivial I know, but its just an example.
    He was once on the Sunday lunchtime show, and he was wearing a tie:confused:.I think on a Sunday is a bit laid back so ties dont look right.

I just wonder how long Shane Coleman is going to be on the breakfast show.I thought he was only tempoary.He even said himself that he doesnt see himself on it long term.How long does it take to get a more permanent replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

jimmyw wrote: »

I just wonder how long Shane Coleman is going to be on the breakfast show.I thought he was only tempoary.He even said himself that he doesnt see himself on it long term.How long does it take to get a more permanent replacement?

Who though? There isn't an obvious replacement. Maybe Hook or Matt Cooper, but that would leave a big hole elsewhere in Newstalk's or Today Fm's schedule. There's quite a few over in RTE who could do it, but it's highly unlikely that they would be willing to give up the security that comes with working for the national broadcaster. Especially since the BAI is going to meet next month to consider whether it should order Denis O'Brien to sell some of its radio assets.

EchoO wrote: »
    Who though? There isn't an obvious replacement. Maybe Hook or Matt Cooper, but that would leave a big hole elsewhere in Newstalk's or Today Fm's schedule. There's quite a few over in RTE who could do it, but it's highly unlikely that they would be willing to give up the security that comes with working for the national broadcaster. Especially since the BAI is going to meet next month to consider whether it should order Denis O'Brien to sell some of its radio assets.

07:00-10:00 - Breakfast with George Hook and Ciara McDonagh/Chris Donoghoe
    10:00-12:00 - Tom Dunne
    12:00-14:00 - Lunchtime with Johnathan Healy
    14:00-16:30 - Moncrief
    16:30-19:00 - Matt Cooper
    19:00-22:00 - OTB
    22:00-00:00 - Misc.

Would be a pretty strong line-up with the possible exception of Tom Dunne and the Misc. shows.
    Would never in a million years happen though!

Oh, and to fix the Today Fm schedule:

07:00-09:00 - KC and Lenny
    09:00-12:00 - Ray D'Arcy
    12:00-14:30 - Ray Foley
    14:30-16:30 - Tony Fenton
    16:30-19:00 - Will Leahy (Drive time show, music not talk)
    19:00-22:00 - Paul McCloone
    22:00-00:00 - Bring over a new young DJ from one of the regional/local stations and have a Blast type show again.

Those would probably be my ideal two station line ups. Never in a million years though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

07:00-10:00 - Breakfast with George Hook and Ciara McDonagh/Chris Donoghoe
    10:00-12:00 - Tom Dunne
    12:00-14:00 - Lunchtime with Johnathan Healy
    14:00-16:30 - Moncrief
    16:30-19:00 - Matt Cooper
    19:00-22:00 - OTB
    22:00-00:00 - Misc.

Would be a pretty strong line-up with the possible exception of Tom Dunne and the Misc. shows.
    Would never in a million years happen though!

Oh, and to fix the Today Fm schedule:

07:00-09:00 - KC and Lenny
    09:00-12:00 - Ray D'Arcy
    12:00-14:30 - Ray Foley
    14:30-16:30 - Tony Fenton
    16:30-19:00 - Will Leahy (Drive time show, music not talk)
    19:00-22:00 - Paul McCloone
    22:00-00:00 - Bring over a new young DJ from one of the regional/local stations and have a Blast type show again.

Those would probably be my ideal two station line ups. Never in a million years though. :pac:

10.00pm: Misc. = Repeats until 6.30am the next day.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    10.00pm: Misc. = Repeats until 6.30am the next day.

Having repeats would probably be better than some of the shyte they've on at that time... isn't it still Global Village and like.. *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Having repeats would probably be better than some of the shyte they've on at that time... isn't it still Global Village and like.. *shudder*
    Global Village!!
    Is that ego trip still going??

If cuts need to be made then I'd favour wnolan's line up. With the one exception of removing Dunne and have the lesser wage Henry McKean take that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

jimmyw wrote: »

Shane Coleman needs the job. What else is he going to do? He'll be there untill there are more cut backs. Who knows how long the station will keep going.It's entirely at the whim of D'OB.
    The job opportunities for "journalists" and I use that term loosely is diminishing all the time.There are no Irish journalists I would pay to read let alone listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Who knows how long the station will keep going.It's entirely at the whim of D'OB.
    Bay Broadcasting, the radio station group backed by wealthy businessman Tom Anderson, has told the Sunday Independent it is interested in acquiring radio stations owned by billionaire Denis O'Brien.
    Ken Hutton, commercial director with Bay, which has a portfolio of radio interests in Classic Hits 4Fm, Radio Nova and Sunshine 106.8, said: "We are interested in exploring opportunities."
    The expression of interest comes as the Broadcasting Authority of [COLOR=#009900 !important]Ireland[/COLOR] (BAI) prepares to meet next month to consider whether it should order O'Brien's Communicorp to sell some of its radio assets after O'Brien both increased his stake in Independent News & Media and voted to clear out much of its old board.
    BAI "ownership and control" rules mean the authority can force radio companies to sell stations if it believes a licence-holder has too much control of the media.
    Hutton said Bay would be interested in looking at Communicorp's entire portfolio, including Newstalk, Today FM, 98FM and a stake in Phantom FM, the Dublin rock station whose presenters include Michelle Doherty.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bay-eyes-obrien-stations-3140446.html

It has to be said this is coming for the Sindo, and given the ongoing feud, it would be in their interest to let the BAI know that there are potential buyers for the stations should they force O'Brien to sell some of them. How likely is it that any of this is going to happen, who knows. At a guess I would say - fairly unlikely.

How pointless is kids talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chris O'Donoghue is just the pits today, blank faced (well voiced), witless, stumbling
    over every other sentence like a drunk in a restaurant for a while there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

and he should stop calling Oisin Langan 'Ush'. Stop trying to be cool by abbreviating your colleagues names, it's almost as bad as Lawro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That is my family going hungry, didn't learn a thing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Folks, leave Chris alone....he's a young guy learning his trade and doing very well in my opinion. Can't expect him to have the gravitas and breadth of knowledge of a 50 year old at 28! He will be a great broadcaster in years to come and he's not too bad now anyway.

How pointless are half of Henry Mckean's reports.

FYP. ;)

But yeah, Kids Talk is a giant pain in the hole. I haven't listened to NT Breakfast in about two months, but when I was any time Kids talk came on it was straight over to another channel for five minuts.

Moncrief, what a legend! He read out a text today:

"Advertising my arse, newspapers, TV, magazines, an ad has never persuaded me to buy ANTHING! Derek in Waterford*"

Then said:

"Well 'Derek in Waterford', you just sent a text to a radio station. At a cost of 30c. BOOM!"

*probably not the right name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

How pointless is kids talk.
    FYP. ;)

But yeah, Kids Talk is a giant pain in the hole. I haven't listened to NT Breakfast in about two months, but when I was any time Kids talk came on it was straight over to another channel for five minuts.

It comes across as if he's ljudt read the Ladybird Guide to Interview Technique...

"Too posh to push", Chris's theory on the rising number of Caesarean sections performed in Ireland. :D

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    Folks, leave Chris alone....he's a young guy learning his trade and doing very well in my opinion. Can't expect him to have the gravitas and breadth of knowledge of a 50 year old at 28! He will be a great broadcaster in years to come and he's not too bad now anyway.

These remarks would make sense ............... if applied to a TY radio presenter.

He is an enthusiastic amateur, sees himself as being involved in showbiz -"glad to have you along", "loads comming up this hour but first.....", "we've a busy morning with loads to get through......."

And 28 is plenty old enough as well.

When Dunphy left he referred to exploited young journalists at NT working for peanuts - Chris would be the epitome of that set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

When Dunphy left he referred to exploited young journalists at NT working for peanuts - Chris would be the epitome of that set.

Damn young ones- taking our jobs (poor Eamonn)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/newstalk-presenter-alleges-dunphy-didnt-know-any-staff-names-2923092.html
    He insisted he wanted to go because of the way staff were treated and not because he was asked to take a pay cut of €50,000 a year from the €100,000 he was being paid to front 40 shows.

"The commercial sector was supposed to be a viable alternative to RTE, but Newstalk's become a slum," the 66-year-old said.

"The people who are living in the slum will tell you that and there's been a huge departure rate by presenters."

He claimed staff were treated "disgracefully".

The author, soccer pundit and former footballer said the regulator "should be paying attention to what's going on as certain standards should be set".

Dunphy said young journalists' pay rates were "shocking", while staff were not represented by unions and had to buy their newspapers to provide to guests on the shows.

He also complained that taxi vouchers were not given to cover guests' journeys home and accused management of trying to prevent him having certain guests on his show, including Independent TD Shane Ross. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/newstalk-is-a-slum-and-obrien-hates-journalists-says-dunphy-2921377.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Damn young ones- taking our jobs (poor Eamonn)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/newstalk-presenter-alleges-dunphy-didnt-know-any-staff-names-2923092.html
    He insisted he wanted to go because of the way staff were treated and not because he was asked to take a pay cut of €50,000 a year from the €100,000 he was being paid to front 40 shows.

"The commercial sector was supposed to be a viable alternative to RTE, but Newstalk's become a slum," the 66-year-old said.

"The people who are living in the slum will tell you that and there's been a huge departure rate by presenters."

He claimed staff were treated "disgracefully".

The author, soccer pundit and former footballer said the regulator "should be paying attention to what's going on as certain standards should be set".

Dunphy said young journalists' pay rates were "shocking", while staff were not represented by unions and had to buy their newspapers to provide to guests on the shows.

He also complained that taxi vouchers were not given to cover guests' journeys home and accused management of trying to prevent him having certain guests on his show, including Independent TD Shane Ross. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/newstalk-is-a-slum-and-obrien-hates-journalists-says-dunphy-2921377.html

• Advertisement

Yes, the quote about presenters buying their own newspapers was what I had in mind.

I would well believe it in Chris' case. Deluding himself that its an investment in his future career, possibly with RTE.

Is'nt that where all the talentless people end up.

Is'nt that where all the talentless people end up.

RTE = the promised land for Chris.

The bubble existance would suit him very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Amanda Brunker currently on the Moncrieff Show talking about badly written books.
    The irony of it all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Amanda Brunker currently on the Moncrieff Show talking about badly written books.
    The irony of it all :D

jaysis that half hour was really scraping the barrel there. bloody awful radio. never thought i'd say that about moncrieff.

Could that be true about the morning presenters in NT having to buy the newspapers? I was under the impression that the main publications dropped off copies to the studio each morning free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

I have this heard before but I'm not sure was it Emo or the Sunday sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Only dip into the Moncrief show occasionally but everytime I do he seems to be spending 15 minutes talking to someone who has written a book about something or other, is this what most of the show is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Only dip into the Moncrief show occasionally but everytime I do he seems to be spending 15 minutes talking to someone who has written a book about something or other, is this what most of the show is about?

Publishers / PR companies pay the media outlet for such interviews.

Its how the Late-Late show get their guests (that and pulling volunteers form the RTE canteen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

Would you go onto these shows if you had nothing to sell? Since they probably wont pay you!

Did anyone else hear Chris Donoghue on Breakfast drop an F bomb one morning last week?!

I forget what day it was now, but it was something like 'and even the feckin Taoiseach was there'

Anyone else hear it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement