Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Note to Chris O'Donoghue.

Please stop refering to your studio as 'Newstalk Towers'.

It sounds ridiculous.

All the more so when you share a 4 story building in a back lane with Today FM.

Marconi House (Pompous as the name comes across) sounds much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »

I think he's copying the OTB lads, who refer to their office as Off The Ball Towers..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gah! Memo to Chris, please stop saying a review of "your papers". It makes me cringe every time you say it.

And unfortunately that's 3 or 4 times every weekday morning. Far too much cringing first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Lapin wrote: »
    Note to Chris O'Donaghue.

It sounds ridiculous.

All the more so when you share a 4 story building in a back lane with Today FM.

Marconi House (Pompous as the name comes across) sounds much better.

Note to Lapin, it's Donoghue, not O'Donaghue :wink:

Why exactly are we trying to do anything to help Dell again??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I think he's copying the OTB lads, who refer to their office as Off The Ball Towers..

And they get it from Talksport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Why exactly are we trying to do anything to help Dell again??

And why are Newstalk obsessed with doing outside broadcasts?? Why can't those clowns realise that we don't want to hear all that sound of muffled voices in the background? They should get back into their soundproof studios and stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Every time I hear Paolo Tullio on Moncrieff,I become less convinced of his expertise as a chef.Still though,it's one of Moncrieff's best slots second only to Movies & Booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Every time I hear Paolo Tullio on Moncrieff,I become less convinced of his expertise as a chef.Still though,it's one of Moncrieff's best slots second only to Movies & Booze.

+1

I podcast his segment and enjoy it every week but he certainly ain't no chef or does he have any significant knowledge of food. He's been winging it every week for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

delaad wrote: »

re: ***** towers

Lads, are ye serious here or what?

Breakfast, Off the Ball and Talksport are all part of a long, long, long line of organisations to call their headquarters "***** Towers".

I remember reading a Nintendo magazine back in the nineties that called their office "NMS Towers". It's a cliche that has been around for years.

It would actually be interesting to learn where it first came from, but to say Chris is taking it from Off the Ball, who are taking it from Talksport, is ridiculous.

I actually think yis are off ye're heads.

Posted from Splendid Towers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

+1

I podcast his segment and enjoy it every week but he certainly ain't no chef or does he have any significant knowledge of food. He's been winging it every week for some time now.

He was a restaurant owner at one stage anyway, not sure was he ever actually a chef though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard yesterday that nora casey is going to do the tv3 afternoon show. Shes hardly going to be triple jobbing so chris may have a new buddy on breakfast soon.

neris wrote: »
    Heard yesterday that nora casey is going to do the tv3 afternoon show. Shes hardly going to be triple jobbing so chris may have a new buddy on breakfast soon.

Bet she will. If I was a young talented tv/radio presenter, I would be hopping mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

delaad wrote: »

re: ***** towers

I remember reading a Nintendo magazine back in the nineties that called their office "NMS Towers".

Ah come on. Everybody knows NMS stole it from Gamesmaster.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

telekon wrote: »
    Bet she will. If I was a young talented tv/radio presenter, I would be hopping mad.

Chris won't be bothered then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Because being a radio/tv presenter and running a business worked out so well for Ivan Yeats.......

I just don't understand why the likes of Ivan, Nora, Bobby Kerr etc are agreeing to host shows on Newstalk. By all accounts the money isn't great. The hours are long and it just distracts from the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

touts wrote: »

Because being a radio/tv presenter and running a business worked out so well for Ivan Yeats.......

I just don't understand why the likes of Ivan, Nora, Bobby Kerr etc are agreeing to host shows on Newstalk. By all accounts the money isn't great. The hours are long and it just distracts from the business.

Almost anything related to those "dragon" people is strongly related to ego. Ego and self promotion. They call themselves dragons for christ sake!!

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that they make more money doing after dinner speaking on the back of that show, than they do from any of the investments.

Shane Coleman is far better at The Sunday Show than he is on the breakfast show... He has more of a chairman job on The Sunday Show, which suits him more as I dont think he has the personality of say Ivan Yates to carry a morning show.. Far easier to listen to than the bleeding heart and the comedian / journalist..

Just listening to Bertie's old PR man, Paddy Duffy.. when asked what he would do if he was advising Obama... "I would take him out and whip his ass"... no doubt while wearing a triangular white mask... And this guy is an advisor??

• Advertisement

"When I had to send my child to school...."

Would you ever eff off Norah, we're not interested in listening to your opinions. We want some proper analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Heroditas wrote: »
    "When I had to send my child to school...."

Would you ever eff off Norah, we're not interested in listening to your opinions. We want some proper analysis.

I don't see what she brings to the table...i remember they had Jimmy Magee on a while back. Nora's contribution: So Jimmy what's Katie Taylor really like?

Brain dead stuff

Can someone please tell me the name of an artist/song Tom Dunne played this morning?

The artist sounded something like "Martin Crenshaw", I couldn't hear TD say it properly. It had an 80s vibe to it, pretty sure he didn't say Nik Kershaw...

Edit: it was Marshall Crenshaw. Still don't know the name of the song though.

People on social welfare subsidised to go to private school, while most working people cant afford the regular pseudo fees for public school... What a country..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

People on social welfare subsidised to go to private school, while most working people cant afford the regular pseudo fees for public school... What a country..
    how many people do that?

GSF wrote: »
    how many people do that?

The woman from the private school said that there people in her school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

is it just me or is andrea pappin's slot getting more insufferable?
    someone texted in twice about newstalk turning into fox news ireland during her part and i can see their point. whatever another country chooses and how they vote is up to them. it's not like our recent political history can let us look down on the people of venezuela and greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The woman from the private school said that there people in her school.

They'd have won a scholarship based on their academic ability, and there would be very few of them.

is it just me or is andrea pappin's slot getting more insufferable?
    someone texted in twice about newstalk turning into fox news ireland during her part and i can see their point. whatever another country chooses and how they vote is up to them. it's not like our recent political history can let us look down on the people of venezuela and greece.

Is it possible to become more insufferable?
    She's dire. Newstalk are in very serious danger of plumbing new depths of mediocrity. Quite a comedown for what used to be a very promising station.

They'd have won a scholarship based on their academic ability, and there would be very few of them.

It's certainly possible, but she did not clarify this... She was attempting to portray the school as being "inclusive of all socio economic groups" ... i.e. and not elitist... so it wouldnt necessarily have suited her argument to portray those particular students (from families on social welfare) attending the school as being there only on the basis of academic achievement.

Oh shut up Chris. He's going mad about a not really humorous tweet by Conan O'Brien claiming that the Irish, shock horror, have a drinking culture. He's going on and on saying that Conan's not funny bla bla bla rabble rabble rabble.

Yeah, the same Conan O'Brien that wrote some of the finest Simpsons episodes of all time is not funny. Ok Chris, I'll accept your valuable opinion on all things comedy on board, you comedy genius you.

God I miss Ivan, Chris would have been slapped down in a second and told to lighten up. Too big for his boots this fella is getting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Yeah its not great.

Still its good to hear them having opinions and expressing themselves. Morning radio is so terrible at the moment.

withless wrote: »

Still its good to hear them having opinions and expressing themselves.

Not sure about that. If I want to hear people having opinions and expressing themselves, I can listen to Adrian Kennedy or Joe Duffy.
    Morning breakfast slots should consist of topics properly researched and have the guests cross examined/grilled.

Instead we have Norah "well I'm a businesswoman" Casey talk about her experiences. I don't want to hear that. What I want to hear is her use her experience as a businesswoman to good effect when questioning guests instead of sucking up to them or having a good old moan.

Chris just needs to be be a bit more analytical instead of emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oh shut up Chris. He's going mad about a not really humorous tweet by Conan O'Brien claiming that the Irish, shock horror, have a drinking culture. He's going on and on saying that Conan's not funny bla bla bla rabble rabble rabble.

Yeah, the same Conan O'Brien that wrote some of the finest Simpsons episodes of all time is not funny. Ok Chris, I'll accept your valuable opinion on all things comedy on board, you comedy genius you.

God I miss Ivan, Chris would have been slapped down in a second and told to lighten up. Too big for his boots this fella is getting...

I have not seen the tweet however I hard a story yesterday in relation to a 2 year old and his parents were in a bar and they asked for cordial and water. While next door there was a stag part and someone asked for a brady and water and the order got mixed up and the kid was served the brandy and was rushed to hospital. Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Okay so i'm a long time listener and i have been sticking with it in recent times due to lack of alternatives, but at the moment it has to be at its lowest. They are seriously lacking a decent broadcaster to drive the show... Chris, dont know the surname, is okay as a side kick/lap dog for someone decent but to be the main anchor of the show is killing it. And Norah Casey comes across being given airtime as a favor to someone... she may publish but she's no broadcaster imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have not seen the tweet however I hard a story yesterday in relation to a 2 year old and his parents were in a bar and they asked for cordial and water. While next door there was a stag part and someone asked for a brady and water and the order got mixed up and the kid was served the brandy and was rushed to hospital. Could be wrong
    England

Heroditas wrote: »
    Not sure about that. If I want to hear people having opinions and expressing themselves, I can listen to Adrian Kennedy or Joe Duffy.
    Morning breakfast slots should consist of topics properly researched and have the guests cross examined/grilled.

Instead we have Norah "well I'm a businesswoman" Casey talk about her experiences. I don't want to hear that. What I want to hear is her use her experience as a businesswoman to good effect when questioning guests instead of sucking up to them or having a good old moan.

Chris just needs to be be a bit more analytical instead of emotional.
    I don't think the show suits you then. Their attempts to create an alternative to Radio 1 are not great but thats what they are attempting at the least. Radio 1 is dry and thats what they do best. I like a bit of 'waffle' to go with my breakfast and they throw a bit in.

I don't think the show suits you then. Their attempts to create an alternative to Radio 1 are not great but thats what they are attempting at the least. Radio 1 is dry and thats what they do best. I like a bit of 'waffle' to go with my breakfast and they throw a bit in.

It certainly doesn't suit me.
    I don't mind the bit of waffle. It's the shameless self-promotion and lack of professionalism that gets me.

England

Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah its not great.

Still its good to hear them having opinions and expressing themselves. Morning radio is so terrible at the moment.

That's not an opinion he has, he's just sprouting out what he thinks the popular view of the people will be. Us Irish often take offence if anyone ever dares paint us in a negative light, even if its in a comedic context.

It's painful really, why can't an American take the piss? We as a nation revel in bashing them.

uHMoA.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Anyone catch the top 5 sports documentaries and the "honourable mentions" on sports Sunday today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone catch the top 5 sports documentaries and the "honourable mentions" on sports Sunday today?

Yeah it was interesting however it went on for about 3 hours! Bit of overkill really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Okay so i'm a long time listener and i have been sticking with it in recent times due to lack of alternatives, but at the moment it has to be at its lowest. They are seriously lacking a decent broadcaster to drive the show... Chris, dont know the surname, is okay as a side kick/lap dog for someone decent but to be the main anchor of the show is killing it. And Norah Casey comes across being given airtime as a favor to someone... she may publish but she's no broadcaster imho.
    Haven't listened to a single minute of NewsTalk breakfast since Casey took the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sheepkins

Chris whats his name was a bit over the top on the Quin support march news item this morning I thought a presenter was supposed to be objective i.e analytical rather than emotional!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He was in "name-making" mode this morning alright, he probably reckons if he swears on air and attacks yokels it will raise his profile with da yoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Calling the Quinn speech bullsh*t is very accurate. Criticise him for using the language perhaps, but it's a bit rich saying he's trying to be down with the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Have to say, I like listening to Chris in the mornings. There's a whole lot of Nora on this mornings show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Well Chris has one supporter anyway - Matt Cooper.

David Norris on the Last Word yesterday shilling his book - he recounted his morning being interviewed on NT Breakfast during the presidential campaign - Yates was doing the interveiw standing up because of his back problems - then he just leaves the studio during an ad break and Chris (who Norris assumed was a sound technician - there to "twiddle knobs" as he put it) steps in with a few questions.

He was actually claiming not to know what was happening or that Chris was co-host, which is hard to credit especially as Norris himself was a sometime presenter on NT himself over the years.

So, all in all pretty cheap shot on poor old Chris. I am probably his number 1 critic but this story had me on his side for once.

..............then he is on this morning with another of his classics: "miscarriages for justice".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Norris was on Moncrieff yesterday as well,claiming a conspiracy by the media and some anonymous people in power that he couldn't name prevented him from winning the presidental election,when really it was because he couldn't answer simple questions about letters he'd written and the fact he was going around like a grinning idiot.

Love John McGuirk... A breath of fresh air in a country that gives far too much time for liberalism and political correctness

• Advertisement

fkn Mary O'Rourke.... Get off the damned radio.. Speaking of FF politicians as having to "work with the hand that they have been dealt"... As if their unpopularity was down to bad luck or something... Mary, your unpopularity is down to the fact that your pals in Government ruined the country while lining their own pockets... And if she thinks some people spitting at FF TDs when they arrived at the door was bad, she should just be appreciative of the fact that they werent all lined up and shot for treason.. Cos that's what I would have done..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement